• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 E3 Information Thread [Trailer, BioWare Storytelling, More]

HK-47 said:
But X had a mediocre story and characters!

No, the story in X was a pretty good one. Or at least, despite being linear, it felt like an actual quest...converging on some sort of destiny.

FFXIII was more linear, and never felt like there was much point to the quest...at least there was a disconnect between the characters attitudes and interactions and the supposedly important events that were unfolding

nelsonroyale said:
No, the story in X was a pretty good one. Or at least, despite being linear, it felt like an actual quest...converging on some sort of destiny.

FFXIII was more linear, and never felt like there was much point to the quest...at least there was a disconnect between the characters attitudes and interactions and the supposedly important events that were unfolding

Because the union between character motivation and development with the world elements and the events unfolding in XIII really hurt the narrative, when the game start to focus with the actual plot about saving the world and changing destiny shanenigans instead of the character relationships is went the whole thing went to shit.

MechaX

Relaxed Muscle said:
Yeah, since VIII no FF had such great chracters and plot.

Wait, VIII? Well.. I liked Quistis and maybe Irvine (if it wasn't for his bitch moment at the end of Disc 1), but... uh... Hm.

Well, XII had some pretty awesome villains at least.

MechaX said:
Wait, VIII? Well.. I liked Quistis and maybe Irvine (if it wasn't for his bitch moment at the end of Disc 1), but... uh... Hm.

Well, XII had some pretty awesome villains at least.

I've been replaying VIII the past few days and I forgot just how good the story and characters were. It took alot of flak at the time - being the successor of VII, which was quite revolutionary, and not moving technology forward in the same way perhaps, but the core game is pretty decent.
I hate the junction system, as I did back when I first played the game, it's the main reason I'd dock points from the game.

Strange I couldn't get into XII. One of the few Final Fantasy games I've never actually beaten.

could somebody help me out here? Are they really bringing back random battles? Its like the worst mechanic in any game ever, and I really really can't play old FF games b/c of how dumb it is.

bangbang i'm a timpani said:
could somebody help me out here? Are they really bringing back random battles? Its like the worst mechanic in any game ever, and I really really can't play old FF games b/c of how dumb it is.
I don't think they are. There's a new mechanic whereby you see a glowing ring appear around the character when an enemy is nearby, which tells you if the enemy is alerted to you or not. But all enemies still show on the field, as with XIII.

FoeHammer

It looks like they are addressing the issues which is good, but I'm still wondering how many people were actually clamoring for a sequel to 13.

I wish they would just reboot the series completely and drop the numbering. Give me back my fantasy setting and some characters that I actually care about and I'll be good.

Pooya

Appollowexx said:
I don't think they are. There's a new mechanic whereby you see a glowing ring appear around the character when an enemy is nearby, which tells you if the enemy is alerted to you or not. But all enemies still show on the field, as with XIII.
some enemies materialize on the map next to the player, you can still escape them though, it's just like an ambush.

Dunan

MechaX said:

I completely failed to notice why he was like that until my third playthrough, even though it became clear enough after the events of Disc 3.

I really like VIII's story and think that a few tweaks (particularly just a few more bits of foreshadowing than we actually got regarding the out-of-nowhere plot twist) could have saved its reputation. As it is, it's still good, but it could have been better.

(The closing-off of most of the explorable places in Disc 4 just so that more space could be devoted to CG movies bothered me even more.)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kagari said:
Part of me hopes it releases in March so it can go up against Mass Effect 3 :D
:(...

Piecake

Shadow780 said:
Did ME2 sold more than XIII?

We don't really have reliable, updated sales info for ME2, but I doubt it since it sold like absolute crap in Japan whereas FF13 sold pretty well in all 3 territories

Despera

Banned
Gonaria said:
We don't really have reliable, updated sales info for ME2, but I doubt it since it sold like absolute crap in Japan whereas FF13 sold pretty well in all 3 territories
Wasn't FFXIII up to like 6 mil, and ME2 (360 version) around 2 mil or something?

dramatis

Appollowexx said:
The enemies show on the field, they appear at random. NPCs moving around the hallways do show, and if you move past them while in Mog Clock it's possible for the NPCs to take care of the monsters.

But it's random battle with a Mog Clock.

ULTROS! said:
At least they were memorable (probably Tidus in a bad way). And the scenes were quite memorable like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPhSapqRtw

What's that? You want Speed Racer? Why didn't you say so? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJxXtjOjIo

SE's biggest waste of CG money to date. I doubt we'll be getting any meaningful CG like in 9 and 10 anymore.

ULTROS! said:
I mean, do you think Lulu is forgettable? :p

Her tits were pretty memorable, too bad such a shallow character was attached to them.

Pooya

dramatis said:
The enemies show on the field, they appear at random. NPCs moving around the hallways do show, and if you move past them while in Mog Clock it's possible for the NPCs to take care of the monsters.

But it's random battle with a Mog Clock.

I've watched multiple playthroughs of the demo, looks like same enemies appear in same spots everytime, it's not exactly random...

We didn't get any high-res artwork from the game at all? I don't mean character art, just... you know pretty background art I can use for wallpapers or whatever. Any?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
brandonh83 said:
We didn't get any high-res artwork from the game at all? I don't mean character art, just... you know pretty background art I can use for wallpapers or whatever. Any?

Nope.

Releasing it in late January \ early Feb is going to be PERFECT for me :D

unless it was released close to Tales of Graces F :(

OH GOD!!! what if THAT what happens? these two releases close to each others!!!! it will be a NIGHTMARE :O

MechaX

Fimbulvetr said:
What's what? You want Speed Racer? Why didn't you say so? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJxXtjOjIo

SE's biggest waste of CG money to date. I doubt we'll be getting any meaningful CG like in 9 and 10 anymore.

The sad thing is that I was genuinely excited about this scene when a portion was shown in the early trailers.
I was like "Holy shit, the characters actually got brain cells and decided to use their super summons for something constructive for once!" But no. They just ride around randomly or are just not even shown. What a massive amount of wasted potential.

EDIT: Hell, I just now notice that Bahamut transformed and took out some speed racer grunt. Too bad there is a hopeless abundance of shaky cam.

Compare that to say... some of the CG scenes found in FF9 Disc 3 that were definitely worth something.

dramatis

miladesn said:
I've watched multiple playthroughs of the demo, looks like same enemies appear in same spots everytime, it's not exactly random...
Assuming that's the case, then why aren't the enemies visible on the field until Mog Clock triggers? Why can't the player trigger Mog Clock instead of the other way around?

It looks more likely they have a set list of encounters with defined enemies, and as you walk it randomly determines when and what you encounter.

Pooya

dramatis said:
Assuming that's the case, then why aren't the enemies visible on the field until Mog Clock triggers? Why can't the player trigger Mog Clock instead of the other way around?

It looks more likely they have a set list of encounters with defined enemies, and as you walk it randomly determines when and what you encounter.

It's about surprising the player, you could abuse pre-emptive strike in the first game easily.
They don't spawn in the exact position, but same area, a few meters here or there. if the enemies were visible Mog clock would have been pointless, you could always get in the green zone. You can still easily escape the enemies here in this demo, it's not a random encounter like the old games.

NeededSleep

I never ended up playing FF13. Probably the first ff i haven't played from launch. Yes i sadly admit i purchased ff14 collectors edition. Just so much horrible feedback from friends and reviews frightened me away from the game.

I must admit though ff13-2 does have my interests peaked with how much more they are trying to redeem ff13 itself with all the wide/deeper(i think i just quotes Nintendo) features.

I still really have 0 interest in playing ff13, but... eventually i know ill probably need to if i end up playing ff13-2 so i don't become so lost in the story. If it ends up being all jpop crap that ff10-2 was then ill defiantly pass. (ff10 worst game in the series that i played imo)

dramatis

miladesn said:
It's about surprising the player, you could abuse pre-emptive strike in the first game easily.
They don't spawn in the exact position, but same area, a few meters here or there. if the enemies were visible Mog clock would have been pointless, you could always get in the green zone. You can still easily escape the enemies here in this demo, it's not a random encounter like the old games.
If you don't control when you get the encounters, it's a random encounter, same spot or not.

It's easy to fix pre-emptive strike by changing the linearity of the clock from its green-yellow-red countdown to a randomized spinner. The player can try to hit the enemy when it reaches a certain spot on the clock, to get advantages or disadvantages if they miss and hit a bad section. You can control what and when you encounter by triggering the Mog Clock and gunning for a specific enemy visible on the field, but how you start off the encounter is randomized and slightly within player control.

As it is right now, the Mog Clock is just an annoyance. You might get into an encounter with debuffs just because you wanted to avoid an encounter; the Gamespot videos show that the player accidentally started the battle with Atlas with slow because he was running from other monsters.

NeededSleep said:
I still really have 0 interest in playing ff13, but... eventually i know ill probably need to if i end up playing ff13-2 so i don't become so lost in the story. If it ends up being all jpop crap that ff10-2 was then ill defiantly pass. (ff10 worst game in the series that i played imo)
You can skip playing 13 and just watch the cutscenes on Youtube, since the battle system in 13-2 is going to be very similar there's no particular reason for you to play 13.

NeededSleep said:
I never ended up playing FF13. Probably the first ff i haven't played from launch. Yes i sadly admit i purchased ff14 collectors edition. Just so much horrible feedback from friends and reviews frightened me away from the game.
You were turned off FFXIII from negative reviews and bad press, yet you bought FFXIV on launch?? What the hell dude. Also, XIII really isn't bad at all, it's far from being a best in series contender, but it's still a great experience and one of those games where the more you put in, the more you get out.

I have to say - play it and judge for yourself. As a long time Final Fantasy fan I recommend it. Great graphics, insane presentation (on PS3), fantastic soundtrack (one of the series best) and one hell of a battle system. The story is forgettable and confusing, the game is very linear for the first 25hrs or so, and the weapon system is irritating - but those are my only gripes.

hsukardi

Squeenix completely do not "get" what a Western or global audience wants in terms of plot or scenario in the HD world.

Their schtick comes across as incredibly bad in HD. It is getting progressively worse from the 3D Final Fantasies...

NeededSleep

Appollowexx said:
You were turned off FFXIII from negative reviews and bad press, yet you bought FFXIV on launch?? What the hell dude. Also, XIII really isn't bad at all, it's far from being a best in series contender, but it's still a great experience and one of those games where the more you put in, the more you get out.

Mostly because i was going in with a group of friends who were also playing the game. I enjoyed ff11 for what it was while the time i played on it. I just wanted the same feeling but i was one of those sheep who kept thinking "just hang in there the miracle patch will fix this! there is going to be a launch patch to fix all the issues just wait!"

I'm still dumbfounded that a game in that condition could still be approved for launch.

When ff13 was first announced i remember being happy as hell to see a scifi theme emerging from the screens and such. Then i saw the bizzaro summon-turning-into-vehicles and backed away slowly. Just stopped being hyped and just never heard good news from there on out. That and the quality of other games coming out just overshadowed and replaced my want for ff13.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If I bet again next year and I lose once again, I think it'll be a really sad state of affairs for Versus XIII and Square Enix.

Shadow780 said:
no more bieber? :(

I have a back-up, don't werry. :p

Go_Ly_Dow

ULTROS! said:
If I bet again next year and I lose once again, I think it'll be a really sad state of affairs for Versus XIII and Square Enix.

Why wait until E3 2012? TGS is right around the corner, lol.

Maybe we'll get a new trailer.

90% recycled footage!

Top Bottom