• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

imail

Need urgent HELP !

Playing the X360 version chapter 9 atm.
I'm at the place where you take control of Sazh and Vanille (sazh as a leader)
When I regain control I enter a mandatory EAZY fight with a mob to open some door. The game just freezes after that. I don't have any recent save file.

No matter how much I try the game always freezes at the same spot.

Note: Is it possible that the DVD is broken even though I got it installed in the hard drive just fine ?

DevelopmentArrested said:
autobattle after chapter 3 = fail.

okay, here's a complaint. Abilities should be the first thing listed, not auto-battle. Auto-battle should be second. Having to hit down, then x, then pick my abilities is kind of annoying... especially when the battles start getting really frantic.

Zzoram

DigitalDevil said:
okay, here's a complaint. Abilities should be the first thing listed, not auto-battle. Auto-battle should be second. Having to hit down, then x, then pick my abilities is kind of annoying... especially when the battles start getting really frantic.

You can change the default to highlight abilities in options. I didn't do it, because I mostly use autobattle even in Chapter 5.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Amir0x said:
Yup, with the lone exception of a single area very late in the game (this one area is comparable to a zone in FFXII, and it's where you do absolutely all of your sidequest mob hunting.)

Areas will have little "juts" along your hallway, alcoves if you would, wherein you automatically know a treasure chest is there since it's the only even remote deviation from the hallway paths.

That's the breakdown. Like it or hate it.

Well here are some more diverse maps of the game later on that I found:

http://www.geocities.jp/kouryakubo/ff13/chart/image/091_paramecia.gif
http://www.geocities.jp/kouryakubo/ff13/chart/image/116_taejintower.gif

Grand Pulse is this, with the small dots being the size of your characters:
http://www.geocities.jp/kouryakubo/ff13/chart/image/112_gran-palse.gif

That would make it closer to the size of Oblivion than anything in FFXII.

Zzoram

imail said:
Need urgent HELP !

Playing the X360 version chapter 9 atm.
I'm at the place where you take control of Sazh and Vanille (sazh as a leader)
When I regain control I enter a mandatory EAZY fight with a mob to open some door. The game just freezes after that. I don't have any recent save file.

No matter how much I try the game always freezes at the same spot.

Note: Is it possible that the DVD is broken even though I got it installed in the hard drive just fine ?

word is some people are experiencing bugs if they install disc 2/3, but streaming from the dvd works

Bob White

Oh, one more reason I hate it (so far). The lack of leveling/map freedom prevents people from breaking the game/battle system. Yeah, that sounds good, but that's one of the things I love about FFs. If you look close enough, you can see holes in the game and find out away to level up quickly or buff one party member so high that he's a monster.

I don't know, maybe that's just me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
GAF always makes me feel like a bizarro FF fan. VIII (yes, VIII) and X are my favorites in the series and so far XIII seems like it's going to be right up there with them.

magus

So Upgrades... I'm almost on Chapter 6 and haven't done any. I don't know if I want to upgrade my current weapons or not. I always fear I'll get something better that I'll want to upgrade. I want to upgrade but I don't want to waste my upgrade items.

Tips please? :D

Bob White said:
Oh, one more reason I hate it (so far). The lack of leveling/map freedom prevents people from breaking the game/battle system. Yeah, that sounds good, but that's one of the things I love about FFs. If you look close enough, you can see holes in the game and find out away to level up quickly or buff one party member so high that he's a monster.

I don't know, maybe that's just me.

Agree, the game knows exactly how high a level/what abilities you have and the enemies are pretty even with you, I really miss the times like in FF7 when I was so overpowered I could one hit kill stuff, yeah it was cheap but it made you feel godly and the time you put into grinding worth while.

magus said:
So Upgrades... I'm almost on Chapter 6 and haven't done any. I don't know if I want to upgrade my current weapons or not. I always fear I'll get something better that I'll want to upgrade. I want to upgrade but I don't want to waste my upgrade items.

Tips please? :D

You will never get a weapon higher than Lvl. 1. Pick the one you like with the extra effect and level that. The effect e.g. defense boost, or magic boost will remain with the weapon all the way till you upgrade it into Ultimate Weapon for a given character.

Also, don't bother upgrading before Chapter 11.

kiun

kyo_daikun said:
Agree, the game knows exactly how high a level/what abilities you have and the enemies are pretty even with you, I really miss the times like in FF7 when I was so overpowered I could one hit kill stuff, yeah it was cheap but it made you feel godly and the time you put into grinding worth while.

technically you still can do this if you delve into the weapon upgrade system

Teknoman said:
Im not getting the attack mash complaints. Pretty much...every FF game aside from XI and XI, a decent chunk of the beginning of the game, you could just X bash through most things aside from bosses. Same with mini games...which really didnt arrive in the series until VI-VII, VII more than anything...and they werent really that enjoyable (aside from card battles in VIII and IX).

The main focus of any good JRPG is its story and battle system, and XIII has both down packed.

As far as AI controls, they actually could've let you switch between people after every ATB if possible. I played XII start to finish without ever using a gambit, and it worked out fine.

I understand people have their preferences with a series that spans as many games as FF does...but none of them are trash.

This is true. The battle system is perfectly balanced to ease you into understanding each role. I like the how they force you to use certain paradigm roles to get familiar and comfortable. FF13 is not only made for veteran FF players. No, it was developed for everyone in mind, including new FF players. Dumping everything on the player would frustrate them immediately.

Mashing the attack button has always been the hallmark of Final Fantasy, or should I say, RPGs. A regular battle isn't suppose to take 5 minutes to complete. Most of the challenge and battle variety comes from encountering new enemy types, mobs, or using new roles. Biggest draw being the boss battles.

Mashing the attack button? It's true for all Final Fantasies at certain junctures of the game. There are also times where you need to develop a strategy to defeat certain enemy types and mobs. That's where the battle system shines. My favorite part of the game is figuring out how to defeat some of the regular enemy and mobs. If you mash attack, you will die.

Nose Master said:
Am I the only one that didn't know about the repeat command? :lol

How?:lol

I also figured out when you stack certain accessories, there's a special bonus. If you stack 2 spark bangles, you stack the lightning resistance and get a 20% offensive lightning bonus.

Skilletor

People saying, "You can't have a proper opinion until 'X' hours into the game" should shush. This game has pacing issues, and I'm getting bored of features getting added to the game one at a time. If others get bored before that point, that's perfectly valid since the game felt it had to hold your hand to prepare you for the zomg awesome battle system.

I'm sticking it out, but I'll be damned if the first three hours of this game weren't the dullest I've encountered in a game in a long time. Unlocking the paradigm made it better, but I'm still pretty much just doing auto-battle.

There's no reason to force yourself to play a game in order to get to "the good parts." All the parts should be good.

depths20XX

I don't really understand the voice acting complaints. It seems pretty good for JRPG standards. Only one that isn't good is Vanielle. The characters are also far less annoying than in most JRPGS (Tales series, FFVIII, FFX, Valkyria Chronicles). I mean they aren't the best characters ever but some people act like they're just total shit. The story isn't too bad, but again, it's a JRPG, what are you expecting? I've seen way more corny storylines in these types of games before and at least this one isn't completely boring like XII.

Aren't all RPG's just doing the same shit over and over again for the majority of the game, especially in the beginning? Most have parts where you read a bunch of text and talk to NPC's but it's still just equivalant of moving the story along.

It's not one of the best RPG's but I don't see it as a total piece of trash like a lot of people seem to be acting.

Zoe

DarknessTear said:
I need halp if anyone can. The normal enemy Boxed Phalanx in Chapter 11, any strategies on taking it down? It's driving me NUTS. It's a big robot with other small brown ones. I wanna go back so I can get more CP because
Hecatoncheir
is giving me a hard time.. I feel stuck. :(

If it's the one I'm thinking of, attack it first so that it can't summon any more enemies. You don't get any kind of benefit from it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Teknoman said:
Im not getting the attack mash complaints. Pretty much...every FF game aside from XI and XI, a decent chunk of the beginning of the game, you could just X bash through most things aside from bosses. Same with mini games...which really didnt arrive in the series until VI-VII, VII more than anything...and they werent really that enjoyable (aside from card battles in VIII and IX).

The main focus of any good JRPG is its story and battle system, and XIII has both down packed.

As far as AI controls, they actually could've let you switch between people after every ATB if possible. I played XII start to finish without ever using a gambit, and it worked out fine.

I understand people have their preferences with a series that spans as many games as FF does...but none of them are trash.
I posted something similar earlier. Think about the previous FFs. How did a typical battle play out?

Battle begins -> ATB gauge fills up -> Menu selection pops up -> Pick an action (Attack, Summon, Item, Magic, Steal) -> Sub-Menu (if applicable) pops up -> Pick a selection -> ATB gauge for the next character fills up -> repeat

It's all button mashing, just a different kind of button mashing. FF13's big difference is that the main character has more than one ability to choose from as their attack strategy and doesn't get to control secondary characters.

Jeels

Skilletor said:
People saying, "You can't have a proper opinion until 'X' hours into the game" should shush. This game has pacing issues, and I'm getting bored of features getting added to the game one at a time. If others get bored before that point, that's perfectly valid since the game felt it had to hold your hand to prepare you for the zomg awesome battle system.

I'm sticking it out, but I'll be damned if the first three hours of this game weren't the dullest I've encountered in a game in a long time. Unlocking the paradigm made it better, but I'm still pretty much just doing auto-battle.

There's no reason to force yourself to play a game in order to get to "the good parts." All the parts should be good.

We're not really ticked off that some people aren't willing to give the game a chance by playing further along (that's really their own problem, not ours), it's when those same people also go "this is the worst game ever" or "I've never played anything this bad", when simply put, that's not the case. That's what ticks us off. Even at it's worst XIII is still an average or above average game.

Edit: agreeing, Looking back at FFX, and FF7, you basically just attack attack attack, heal heal, or use a specific black magic spell if the enemy has a specific weakness. At least in FFXIII you are constantly kept on your toes, having to switch between the buffs, healing, magic, and attacks. Much more well done, and to me, an evolution of the system. (This is obviously debatable).

Teknoman

depths20XX said:
Aren't all RPG's just doing the same shit over and over again for the majority of the game, especially in the beginning?

It's not one of the best RPG's but I don't see it as a total piece of trash like a lot of people seem to be acting.

Exactly.

DimmuBurgerKing said:
I wish Lightning was going commando. :3 The camera practically screams for upskirt shots.

No panties, Lightning wears short pants.....I saw it in some random internet discussion...I swear it....

Also I use auto-battle most of the time, normally it does why I would,way faster than I could.

Relaxed Muscle said:
No panties, Lightning wears short pants.....I saw it in some random internet discussion...I swear it....

Also I use auto-battle most of the time, normally it does why I would,way faster than I could.

Same. On both counts. lol

Relaxed Muscle said:

It was probably on here, I posted the theory that Lightnings vagina is a black hole and that is why she's so angry but was quickly shot down. I still believe the black hole theory though.

Peff

Press right in Abilities and it will appear, it repeats the last chain of command the character made (I think Auto-Battle doesn't count).

Dresden

Relaxed Muscle said:

You can see it on the cover. She has black underpants on.

I wish I had more time to play, I FINALLY got to Odin. Killed him first try. I got lucky with heals though, Hope was getting pounded early on while I was trying to get him to buff me. Switched from Com/Rav-Com/Syn-Med/Med-Med/Rav-Com/Med-Rav/Rav constantly. Loving this game.

Also, holy shit at the Repeat command, I had no idea it existed until you guys started talking about it. :lol Auto-battle or auto-chain seems decent enough, though.

reilo said:
Repeat command? What repeat command?

in manual input you can press right in the stick, so the last commands you did, will repeat without the necesity of selecting again in the menu.Is like "remember" option in a lot of RPG's

Zoe

Peff said:
Press right in Abilities and it will appear, it repeats the last chain of command the character made (I think Auto-Battle doesn't count).

And it remembers across jobs, so no worries about it resetting.

Ricker

If you use Abilties and choose 3 skills,the next time,if you pushed to the right,repeat will appear,you hold it and the same last 3 skills you used will be executed again,without you choosing them one by one again....

Alex

Jeels said:
Final Fantasy fans are known for over dramatizing this type of stuff. "Oh man, it doesn't feel like MY FAVORITE final fantasy, hence, it is the worst game I have ever played.

Jeels said:
Final Fantasy fans are known for over dramatizing this type of stuff. "Oh man, it doesn't feel like MY FAVORITE final fantasy, hence, it is the worst game I have ever played.

This is so exceedingly true it hurts. Everyone has their own expectations out of the games and everyone gets mad at each other when discussing those expectations.

I cannot relate to some of the current word, personally. For one classical JRPG towns needed to be purged with fire anyway. I'm not lamenting static NPCs and their one liners being a big omission at the moment.

If they wanted to shift and make a more progressive game model, that is fine, XI and XII had fine towns and XIV will probably have amazing ones. But by the normal definition of a JRPG town; I dont care.

And unless it's a card game, fuck mini games. I don't care how much you liked FFVII in years past, Chocobo Racing and Breeding sucks. It's clunky and boring and a strategy guide sink.

My complaints with XIII are things like lack of difficulty options. For a game that's focused on combat and development I want a truly punishing difficulty mode. Also, I wish to buy an accessory that shocks Vanille when she attempts to speak.

We'll see how it ends up though.

Also, since everyone else is doing it, my five favorites before XIII were:

-FFV
-FFIX
-FFX-2
-FFXI
-FFXII

I dont really hate any of them, but I probably like VII and VIII least. I started playing with FF"2" back on SNES not too long after it came out.

XI, X-2 and XIII easily have the best combat engines. XII is fun in it's own way too but it didn't ape enough from XI. It's a shame because it makes good use of what it does have. In some ways better than X-2 and XIII because of how far it took itself.

XIII can be smashy if you're just hitting auto battle, but auto battle is only good maybe half the time at best. I only really use it if I absolutely need commands to be launching instantly. Like being late on the ATB bar, staggering falling off, trying to quickly heal, etc

A lot of the challenge in the fighting is the micromanagement of it all. Behind scenes and in battle. A lot of console players, this was evident by XII, seem to be extremely confused about this notion and consider going to magic > individual spell each time rather than making macros and presets, etc and developing combat in a more unique, in-depth manner as something bad. Some people just need more direct input even at the cost of everything else, and to that I dont know why theyre playing RPGs.

farnham

Banned
has anyone experienced this

i played the game with my girlfriend today and suddenly the batteries of my 360 controller runned out

and the game didnt pause.. it just went on.. it was no problem since the other two characters kept healing the main character

but wtf

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Skilletor said:

This is a valid complaint. I actually found the early sections of the game enjoyable as well, but I would never suggest that you just have to slog through it to get to the good parts.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
BocoDragon said:
just discovered it 20 mins ago :lol
Oh... I thought he meant the "restart" command. I knew about the repeat from the very beginning... but I just discovered that you can restart battles at any time.

farnham said:
has anyone experienced this

i played the game with my girlfriend today and suddenly the batteries of my 360 controller runned out

and the game didnt pause.. it just went on.. it was no problem since the other two characters kept healing the main character

but wtf

This happened to my PS3 controller in the middle of a battle. Most games auto-pauses when the controller battery dies. This game couldn't care less if your controller died. :lol

BocoDragon said:
Oh... I thought he meant the "restart" command. I knew about the repeat from the very beginning... but I just discovered that you can restart battles at any time.

Yeah, that's an awesome feature, I wish games like Last Remnant had them

Auto Battle is the saddest function ever. It basically plays the game for you and the game really gives you no reason to NOT abuse it. It's like alcoholism, without the side effects.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I hope that everyone that missed the game explaining the repeat function has been using auto-battle because otherwise those were a lot of button presses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom