• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When I level up a class in the Crystarium, what do I gain? (The middle, big crystal).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RPGCrazied said:
a skill from the medic tree

Nope. All characters get it on one of their trees.

Yoshichan said:
When I level up a class in the Crystarium, what do I gain? (The middle, big crystal).

Self-satisfaction.

Playing through the 360 version. It's not bad. I think Square-Enix did a admirable job in porting it to the system.

The cut-scenes are blurry though. But the in-game graphics are nearly identical to the PS3 version I think.

And it plays smoothly, so I'm happy with that.

RPGCrazied

thetrin said:

Self-satisfaction.

oh, I saw it in the medic tree. :p Its in all of them, thats cool. I tried another C hunt, in some ruins.. a flying ce'ith? lasted awhile, then got raped.

Yoshichan said:

Every job has a bonification, the role level up cristal elevates that, for example, COM give you Attack Power x The COM rol level.

ShogunX

walter_thet said:
I played this for about 3 hours and I am really digging it. Just a quick question. Do i get to choose who the team leader is in the early part of the game?

Ive played for about an hour and Im pretty much the opposite of you. Ive completed every FF game before this one but I don't know why but the game just isn't doing it for me. I seem to be paying too much attention to things like poor dialogue and awful character design - Things that In can normally overlook when playing a JRPG.

Ive rolled my eyes at the cheesy dialogue countless times already and was close to switching the game off with that whole ''Mums are tough'' sequence. Previous FF games have all had their cheesy moments though so im not sure if ive just outgrown JRPG's.

I know im only at the start of the game so hopefully it picks up.

RPGCrazied

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Playing through the 360 version. It's not bad. I think Square-Enix did a admirable job in porting it to the system.

The cut-scenes are blurry though. But the in-game graphics are nearly identical to the PS3 version I think.

And it plays smoothly, so I'm happy with that.

its not all smooth, wait til you get to natilus park and pulse.. its not smooth in those locations

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RPGCrazied said:
oh, I saw it in the medic tree. :p Its in all of them, thats cool. I tried another C hunt, in some ruins.. a flying ce'ith? lasted awhile, then got raped.

That flying c'ieth wasn't so bad for me. I think my team at that point was Snow, Hope and Vanille.

Shogun PaiN said:
Ive played for about an hour and Im pretty much the opposite of you. Ive completed every FF game before this one but I don't know why but the game just isn't doing it for me. I seem to be paying too much attention like poor dialogue and awful character design - Things that In can normally overlook when playing a JRPG.

Ive rolled my eyes at the cheesy dialogue countless times already and was close to switching the game off with that whole ''Mums are tough'' sequence. Previous FF games have all had their cheesy moments though so im not sure if ive just outgrown JRPG's.

I know im only at the start of the game so hopefully it picks up.

If you've outgrown JRPGs, you must be near death. I don't know how someone outgrows SMT and Dragon Quest. FFXIII just has juvenile dialogue. It's neither indicative of JRPGs, or FF.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magnus said:
I'm not a fan of this defense for the argument against AI-controlled characters. The point of the person arguing is that they don't like that they're out of control of the characters. The fix isn't to say "it just won't work in this battle system". The real fix would be, "give me a battle system where I am in control." I can't fault any player whatsoever for complaining about any game where they lack control of their main characters, particularly a mainstream sequel in a series as venerated as Final Fantasy where such control was permitted for the twelve previous installments. One can't help but feel like they've been stripped of power, and after all, isn't that the worst sin a developer can commit against a gamer? Stripping them of control?

Anyway, I'm not trying to derail positive discussion here with a hate-fest on the game. The production values are insane, visually and aurally, and I've trusted in Square many times and been satisfied many times, so you bet your ass I'll give this game time to grow on me and will almost certainly finish it as I have every previous installment (except II, III and V :p)
I simply don't get how people believe they aren't in control of their characters. That argument would only make any sense if you would agree that either a) slowing the game down by 3 times would make the game more fun, or that b) you WOULDN'T be slaughtered at the current battle speed if you had to manually select each ability.

Furthermore, you'd also have to make the argument that the AI does stupid things you don't want it to, but in practice it never does.

I've never once felt like I had no control over what the other two characters were doing.

Mandoric

Banned
thetrin said:

Self-satisfaction.

10% damage dealt per level while commando, +.5% to break gauge per attack per level for Ravager, -(new level)% damage taken for Sentinel, +4%~7% debuff acc for Saboteur, +15% buff duration for Synergist, and +3% cure potency for Medic.

Also significantly smaller boosts for party members on odd-numbered role level ups.

thetrin

RPGCrazied said:
I guess when he gets halfway, he starts spamming poison more often. . and that missile looking attack

Sentinel -> Provoke -> Heal Guard.

Unless he's doing an AoE. Then you need to look out for it, and have a SEN/MED/MED team ready to counteract it.

Mandoric said:
10% damage dealt per level while commando, +.5% to break gauge per attack per level for Ravager, -(new level)% damage taken for Sentinel, +4%~7% debuff acc for Saboteur, +15% buff duration for Synergist, and +3% cure potency for Medic.

Also significantly smaller boosts for party members on odd-numbered role level ups.

Guess I never noticed the buffs. It's not like you can choose not to take them, anyway.

I'm enjoying it so far (~6 hours) but I wonder who thought it was a good idea to make some of the early areas so freaking bland and dank.

thetrin

Angry Grimace said:
I simply don't get how people believe they aren't in control of their characters. That argument would only make any sense if you would agree that either a) slowing the game down by 3 times would make the game more fun, or that b) you WOULDN'T be slaughtered at the current battle speed if you had to manually select each ability.

Furthermore, you'd also have to make the argument that the AI does stupid things you don't want it to, but in practice it never does.

I've never once felt like I had no control over what the other two characters were doing.

That's the REALLY weird thing about FFXIII's AI. I switch paradigms hoping the AI will do what I want it to do (even if it's slightly illogical), and they do it. It's actually really surprising.

I do like that in a SEN/MED/MED, if the MEDs are fully healed (or at least 85%), they'll heal the SEN as long as he continues provoking.

is it even possible to earn more than 50k of gil? right now i only have 8k+ of gil lol and i saw an item at one of the shops that costs like 2 million gil o_O how the heck am i suppose to earn that much of gil in this game?

thetrin said:
I used all of my sneak smoke in Chapter 12 because I was so tired of fighting behemoths all the time. Kinda got me up shit creek in Chapter 13 for one of the regular encounters. :lol

Thankfully after a few tries, I beat it and moved on to the last boss.

Yup, the difficulty at the end of Chapter 11 and 12 ramps up where you have regular mobs beating you senseless. Don't get me started on
motherfucking proto-behemoth
. On topic is it just me, or do enemies in FFXIII have the most HP in any game in the series? At the end regular mobs have 1-2mln HP.

soujiro_seta said:
is it even possible to earn more than 50k of gil? right now i only have 8k+ of gil lol and i saw an item at one of the shops that costs like 2 million gil o_O how the heck am i suppose to earn that much of gil in this game?

This item you can farm from a mob. In general you can sell some items later on, esp. after you're done with the story. Before that be sure to do the quest in (Chapter 11 spoiler)
Oerba village, it gives you items that sell for a total of 550-600k gil

thetrin

soujiro_seta said:

You won't until near the end of Chapter 11. I had about 2 million gil which I used solely to upgrade my weapons.

Castor Krieg said:
Yup, the difficulty at the end of Chapter 11 and 12 ramps up where you have regular mobs beating you senseless. Don't get me started on
motherfucking proto-behemoth
. On topic is it just me, or do enemies in FFXIII have the most HP in any game in the series? At the end regular mobs have 1-2mln HP.

Probably because they have to have that much to let you use the break bar and make regular battles significantly long.

Mandoric

Banned
soujiro_seta said:

Chocobo digging is extremely profitable, and the 2 million gil item is a desperation purchase if you're crazy enough to go for particular high-end items but not crazy enough to farm the biggest and baddest non-boss mobs in the game--who drop it as a rare drop and an item that sells for 150k as a common.

ShogunX

thetrin said:
If you've outgrown JRPGs, you must be near death. I don't know how someone outgrows SMT and Dragon Quest.

My tastes have grown towards games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Fallout 3 and hopefully Metro 2033 falls into that same bracket. It's a problem because I own a large collection of JRPG's for both the PS2 and PS1 - I think I have about 60 total.

Dragon Quest I haven't played since the release of Cursed King and I haven't found the time yet to sit down with Persona 3+4, Nocturne or DDS2. At the moment im just kind of over the whole feminine looking characters with pink/blue hair who spout annoying random shit like ''The army is no match for Nora''

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I normally don't care much for graphics but playing this game is making me jump on the team that wishes for the next KH to be on the HD consoles.

Angry Grimace said:

Agreed. With the right paradigms there wasn't a single moment so far that the characters in my party weren't doing what I was going to manually select them to do if I had full manual control. AI controlled characters can get on my nerves but it doesn't happen here at all.

thetrin

Shogun PaiN said:
My tastes have grown towards games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Fallout 3 and hopefully Metro 2033 falls into that same bracket. It's a problem because I own a large collection of JRPG's for both the PS2 and PS1 - I think I have about 60 total.

Dragon Quest I haven't played since the release of Cursed King and I haven't found the time yet to sit down with Persona 3+4, Nocturne or DDS2. At the moment im just kind of over the whole feminine looking characters with pink/blue hair who spout annoying random shit like ''The army is no match for Nora''

Again, SMT and DQ don't really have that. :p

thetrin

soujiro_seta said:
thanks for the response guys! i'm now
at the top of taejin's tower - the cloven spire where i think i'm about to fight a boss
Have fun! I actually really like that boss.

ShogunX

thetrin said:
Again, SMT and DQ don't really have that. :p

Oh yeah I know they don't but the whole Social simulation thing Persona 3+4 have have so far put me off from giving them a spin.

I enjoyed the hell out of Lost Odyssey warts and all so maybe I just need to get back into the swing of things.

thetrin

Castor Krieg said:
Bring at least 2 medics.

That's my tactic for everything. Always have two medics in your party.

Especially if you have Snow or Fang, because you can do HLR/ATK/HLR and HLR/DEF/HLR. Both quite life saving.

thetrin

Shogun PaiN said:
Oh yeah I know they don't but the whole Social simulation thing Persona 3+4 have have so far put me off from giving them a spin.

I enjoyed the hell out of Lost Odyssey warts and all so maybe I just need to get back into the swing of things.

To be completely honest, the best RPGs this generation are on DS, so you're hard pressed to find great RPGs on HD consoles. Shitty dialogue aside, I think FFXIII is a success in that department.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
thetrin said:
I had smokes left over for the last boss, and I used power + defense smoke on every single eidolon fight (after Shiva) :lol

Trust me, people! They're there to be used!
I'm sorely missing my deceptisol shrouds. :(

thetrin said:
That's my tactic for everything. Always have two medics in your party.

Especially if you have Snow or Fang, because you can do HLR/ATK/HLR and HLR/DEF/HLR. Both quite life saving.

I roll with Light/Hope/Vanille so I go for overkill (3 Medics). Fun, but in Chapter
I needed to get a Sentinel, no way of getting past some mobs without him/her.

Mandoric

Banned
Speaking of strong mobs, it strikes me that (ch13)
the turtle trap in Chapter 12 was ruined for me by how many hunts I did. I wanted to upgrade, so I ran in and grabbed both before going to the save point to see if they had any good materials, not even noticing the turtle. Then I killed it on the way back thinking it was a normal patrolling mob I'd missed, the same way as I killed the hunt one, and it dropped my first ultimate weapon upgrade mat. It was only after saving to optimize my upgrade to Omega Weapon and reloading when I overupgraded my tier 2, then seeing it lumber forth immediately, that I realized it was the trap.

Mandoric said:
Speaking of strong mobs, it strikes me that (ch13)
the turtle trap in Chapter 12 was ruined for me by how many hunts I did. I wanted to upgrade, so I ran in and grabbed both before going to the save point to see if they had any good materials, not even noticing the turtle. Then I killed it on the way back thinking it was a normal patrolling mob I'd missed, the same way as I killed the hunt one, and it dropped my first ultimate weapon upgrade mat. It was only after saving to optimize my upgrade to Omega Weapon and reloading when I overupgraded my tier 2, then seeing it lumber forth immediately, that I realized it was the trap.

I didn't grab one sphere there >.< One had
6 Particle Accelerators
what was in the other one?

Also, it must be said - this game screams DLC. Additional hunts (esp. since the monster design is really good in this FF) and
Nautilus minigames
. If International version will not leave Japan I will be pissed.

LiK

meh, thought my weakass Snow and Hope couldn't take on that boss but that boss wasn't tough at all. it only had a high life bar. still undefeated, huhu.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got up to chapter 6, enjoying it a lot but the linearity is shockingly blatant. 4 dragged on a bit but atleast ended with an awesome fight, 5 was similar. 5 was hilarious in the fact that it actually had a mechanic that you could follow the light so you knew where to go, and yet it was all a straight path. Almost felt like self parody with how ridiculous it was, lol.

Mandoric

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:

Not calling out you in particular, but I really don't get why s. links are so offputting in theory. Aren't they the element of actual role-playing that people have always said were missing from JRPGs? Is it any less pandering to "date" a blue-skinned alien until they strip for you than to "date" a school classmate until an offscreen first kiss?

Castor Krieg said:
I didn't grab one sphere there >.< One had
6 Particle Accelerators
what was in the other one?

A cash item. I don't remember which, but I remember happily burning it to make use of that sweet, sweet drop.

Mandoric said:
Not calling out you in particular, but I really don't get why s. links are so offputting in theory. Aren't they the element of actual role-playing that people have always said were missing from JRPGs? Is it any less pandering to "date" a blue-skinned alien until they strip for you than to "date" a school classmate until an offscreen first kiss?

A cash item. I don't remember which, but I remember happily burning it to make use of that sweet, sweet drop.

I loved P3. P4 goes for a spin once I finish FFXIII, EoE, and GoW II (yes, I didn't even finish second one). Meaning I have plenty to play in slow summer months.

ShogunX

Mandoric said:

I see where your coming from with the comparison and to be honest my excuse for not playing the games are weak at best. Reading through the manual for FES the out of school sections are actually intriguing :lol

Angry Grimace said:

Refuses to focus fire if there are two commandos and multiple targets (this is a big one).
Hastes/buffs itself first instead of my leader. The leaders buffs are the most important because you paradigm cancel based on your ATB bar, not the AIs.

You're feeling that way because you haven't studied the AI well enough yet.

I don't care about controlling the allies, but I wish S-E had made the leaders auto-battle less effective, so you would at least have to control your own leading character.

In any case, I'm not finding chapter 11 very difficult.. even without grinding. The game hands you enough mats to get 3 Lv.* first tier weapons without grinding at all. Add that to the +100 str/mag accessories in the shops and they are packing serious heat even nowhere near the level 9 stat caps.

Papercuts said:
Got up to chapter 6, enjoying it a lot but the linearity is shockingly blatant. 4 dragged on a bit but atleast ended with an awesome fight, 5 was similar. 5 was hilarious in the fact that it actually had a mechanic that you could follow the light so you knew where to go, and yet it was all a straight path. Almost felt like self parody with how ridiculous it was, lol.

Yea I was lol at that.

Alex

mjemirzian said:
Refuses to focus fire if there are two commandos and multiple targets (this is a big one).
Hastes/buffs itself first instead of my leader.

You're feeling that way because you haven't studied the AI well enough yet.

I don't care about controlling the allies, but I wish S-E had made the leaders auto-battle less effective, so you would at least have to control your own character.

I don't find it terribly effective at all. It can mildly adapt to a situation, like lining up elements but I really don't use it unless I'm strapped for time to get something off.

hot damn this chapter 11 is still kicking my ass...I almost kill him everytime then he goes nuts and uses a move that did like 5k to everyone T.T. Gonna try some different character combos..

Styles

Do I just sell those nuggets(ends with mite or something along the lines of that) that I get in
pulse
?

Lightning:
We're partners now, Hope.
Anyone remember from Chapter 7? :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh yeah, should I be upgrading my equipment more? I'm at chapter 6 and only leveled a few things after learning how to do it. I had a feeling I was going to get better stuff but so far that hasn't been happening, should I just use all my backlogged crap up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom