• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baha

Anybody have a link to a good weapon guide? I'm up to chapter 6 and haven't upgraded any weapons or accessories yet.

Alex

Dresden said:
Agreed about Snow.

But I have a feeling you've yet to play any Tri-Ace games released over the last four years, if you think Vanille is the worst you've seen so far.

Played em. The difference in the Tri-Ace games post-VP2 (and lets be honest, all around VP2 as well, bar maybe Radiata) is that EVERYONE is a goddamned embarrassing wreck. Here, she sticks out, and it just makes it worse. Especially paired with Sazh, whom I think is fantastic.

But you're right, Tri-Ace characters if you put it objectively, are probably the worst of all time lately. That and now they can't even make good dungeon hacks with fun combat anymore, IU and SO4 were so terrible. I really want to wait and see on that weird new gun toting game they're putting out.

LiK said:
i didn't bother really upgrading until a few chapters in, but if you're not having any problems, then go with your instinct. some of the later enemies have uber high def and i upgrade just so i can stagger them quicker get it over with.
So the stagger amount is related to the amount of damage you do? If I could stagger enemies faster then maybe I should start upgrading.

Paznos

Hcoregamer00 said:
I would high five you, but I hate Hope far more than Snow.

If I was stuck in an Elevator with both of them, I would probably smack Hope first.
At first I really didn't like Hope but don't really have to much of a problem with him now and Snow as bad as people are making him nor is Vanille for me.

Balya

Papercuts said:
She sounds like she is always having an orgasm in cutscenes.
BocoDragon said:
And when she jumps up cliffs. It's so true. You can't unhear it. :lol

Vanille has a weapon called a Belladonna Wand. The 5th Google result for Belladonna Wand is a buttplug endorsed by Belladonna. This may go a long way toward explaining the noise Vanille makes when she jumps. Just saying.

Dresden said:
But I have a feeling you've yet to play any Tri-Ace games released over the last four years, if you think Vanille is the worst you've seen so far.
Resonance of Fate is getting some good buzz around here but the Tri-Ace factor makes playing that game an absolutely terrifying prospect. Terrifying.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I agree with you there, Vanille would be far better if her voice actress just did a full on aussie accent like Fang instead of halfwaying it. Square could have also just hired a British or an American voice actress also.
But
the characters have the same accent for a reason. So a British accent wouldn't really fit unless they were both British.

It is funny how odd Vanille's accent sounds considering it's done by a native Australian. I could understand if it was just an American trying to do an Australian accent while high on coke.

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
Resonance of Fate is getting some good buzz around here but the Tri-Ace factor makes playing that game an absolutely terrifying prospect. Terrifying.
By all accounts, Resonance is a pretty darn good game. I'm looking forward to it, will get it as soon as I beat XIII and God of War 3.

Besides, after Star Ocean 4, you have nowhere to go but up! :lol

LiK

Scythesurge said:
So the stagger amount is related to the amount of damage you do? If I could stagger enemies faster then maybe I should start upgrading.

i assume so, seems to work for me. i also upgrade their accessories altho that's more of a gamble depending on enemies and bosses.

Alex

Fun moment earlier: Take a break while in Nautalis, get a drink, come back into room and nearly drop it when a sheep bleats in your right surround speaker.

Dresden

Also, in the previews Fang's accent really stuck out, but in the game, I barely notice it.

I really like her design too. She's like Rinoa from FF8, without all the fail.

LiK

Dresden said:
Also, in the previews Fang's accent really stuck out, but in the game, I barely notice it.

I really like her design too. She's like Rinoa from FF8, without all the fail.

yea, love her voice and attitude. she's the Auron of the group, imo.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fang's English VA is actually pretty good.

Most of the cast are pretty bearable, actually.

MrDenny

I find it funny the word "hate" shows up on almost every page of this topic.
I'm enjoying the game, yea even the voice acting.
I guess final fantasy brings out the teenage angst in everyone haha.

MrDenny said:

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HAAAAAAAAAATE YOU!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kagari said:
Anyone know if a Japanese save will transfer over to the English version?
really, really, really, really doubt it.

I really like all these optional cutscenes in Pulse. Even if they are pretty pointless, they're great for fleshing out the characters a bit more.

Alex said:
But you're right, Tri-Ace characters if you put it objectively, are probably the worst of all time lately. That and now they can't even make good dungeon hacks with fun combat anymore, IU and SO4 were so terrible. I really want to wait and see on that weird new gun toting game they're putting out.

Lymle is the ONLY character in a JRPG (hell, any game really) that made me want to vomit every time she opened her mouth. There has never been one bit of dialogue in any game that made me cringe until I played Star Ocean 4. I'm apparently the target demographic for this animu bullshit and I still couldn't handle her :lol

jiien

Like some other posters, I don't see how you guys can actually hate characters. I mean, if they are to truly emulate real people, then they should have character flaws, and you're supposed to dislike those character flaws. But as far as being believable, it's painfully obvious that:

Hope is not "emo", he's angry. And justifiably, given the very beginning! I think because some sort of death is in every RPG we play at some point, we act like it's nothing and expect the characters to as well? Why shouldn't he be angry at the world?

Vanille clearly has information she is hiding, and puts on a happy face in order to mask a certain pain (roughly chapter 11 spoiler:
she's directly responsible for Sazh's son, and was freaking Ragnarok a couple hundred years ago!
. You've never known anyone in real life to pretend they're happy so as to not let you know what their problems are?

Snow puts on false bravado for the same reason Vanille is cheery; if I was in his place, and stopped to consider where I was,
after losing my fiance to a force I couldn't stop
, and my subsequent actions that put other people in danger
, or lead to their deaths...
I'd want to shoot myself. He's a person who realizes that unless he keeps this stupid "hero" thing going, he will give up on being able to accomplish anything. The fal'Cie are set up as god-like; how is he supposed to challenge a god?

So sure, each of them may deal with their problems in ways that come off as annoying, but real people are like that. So I can understand wanting the characters in the game to progress, and become better 'people'
and they eventually do
, but to say that you hate them and it detracts from your experience of the game is silly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
at least the characters are far superior to the trash in FFX and the unnecessary boring part of the FFXII cast.

Cloudy

Banned
Can someone tell me the name of the song that plays in Chapter 7.
At the part where Fang and Light are going to help Snow and Hope. I believe it plays in the boss battle too. It's a remixed version of one of the other themes. Mostly violin
I like it a lot :D

MechaX

I've been running around Gran Pulse for the past three hours, mostly farming CP off of this poor Behemoth King/giant white tiger warring couple. Now I can actually fight a Behemoth King toe-to-toe with little hassle. But good God, is this crystal board starting to get damn expensive. I've at least maxed out 2/3 of the main roles for my current party of Fang/Hope/Sazh (I'll get to the others later).

Is there really a need to grind for the other Paradigm roles outside of the main three at this point, or should I just go ahead and finish up the missions available here and go on with the story?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
MrDenny said:

That it does :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is it even worth it to sell anything? I'm at chapter 9 and still don't have much money, but I also have yet to buy anything. I'm wondering if I should just dismantle everything I don't want instead.

Rpgmonkey

MechaX said:
Is there really a need to grind for the other Paradigm roles outside of the main three at this point, or should I just go ahead and finish up the missions available here and go on with the story?

It costs like 100,000 CP (most likely a good bit more) just to make the three extra roles reach a basic level. Just save the CP for the main ones.

jiien

Papercuts said:
Is it even worth it to sell anything? I'm at chapter 9 and still don't have much money, but I also have yet to buy anything. I'm wondering if I should just dismantle everything I don't want instead.

You don't need to sell anything. By the time you need money, you'll have other ways of getting it. You only really need money for upgrading, and you don't really need to start upgrading till chapter
11. And then you have hunts at that point, from which you can get plenty of money

7Th

Alex said:
Vanille remains the retard of the game to me. I've played so, so, so, so many JRPGs over the years and I've never hated a character like I hate her. Which is sad that she gets so much pairing time with the best character in the damned game. Talk about the Odd Couple.

Why do you find her annoying, though? Drama is justified in her annoyance, I believe, because Drama just doesn't like
cowards, even if the cowardice is justified.

Dresden

Damn, Sunleth is gorgeous. Love the track there as well, although I'm taking care not to listen to the lyrics in case they're Engrish. That always ruins a song for me.

Since the search function isn't working, I can't search for the exact post, but does anyone have a link to the footage of the FF13 prototype on PS2? I can't remember if I saw that here or on another site.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dresden said:
Damn, Sunleth is gorgeous. Love the track there as well, although I'm taking care not to listen to the lyrics in case they're Engrish. That always ruins a song for me.

Don't worry, it's Maaya singing ;D
Just made it there on my second playthrough. 5-star on chapter 5 boss :eek:

Lion Heart said:
Question about Ch 4 (or 5?)

So when you restore power to that thing (Sazh and Vanille), you can either head through the tunnel and sleep or carry on and continue. When you sleep though the game goes to Lightning. Does it matter which you do?

Halp. I saved at both points but don't know which one to play. Is the only difference which sequence ends first?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lion Heart said:
Halp. I saved at both points but don't know which one to play. Is the only difference which sequence ends first?
I'm fairly sure there's only one option, and that option is to sleep and proceed to the Lightning section. Any other options will either lead to a dead end or a treasure box or something.

Fimbulvetr said:
Who?

All I remember are the cast consisting of four adults.

3 of which were just boring baggage for the real star. Balthier for life! Okay, that's all I'm saying about 12 in this thread.

Anyway, Pulse is way too big for me to be exploring it this late so I'm just gonna do it all day tomorrow. Seriously, anyone that complains about the game being too linear might even wish it would go back to that after getting lost in Pulse for a few hours.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Just beat Ch 10, so far everything has been smooth sailing, nothing but a few short struggles, but nothing major. Will wait for the struggle of Ch 11/12+

Cid
was easytastic.

Rez said:
I'm fairly sure there's only one option, and that option is to sleep and proceed to the Lightning section. Any other options will either lead to a dead end or a treasure box or something.

No, I reloaded that save and went back, the elevators worked and I was continuing on, however, it might be a dead end like you said, with just a few paths but I didn't go far enough to see.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lion Heart said:
No, I reloaded that save and went back, the elevators worked and I was continuing on, however, it might be a dead end like you said, with just a few paths but I didn't go far enough to see.
yeah, I think I remember what you're talking about. you can backtrack a bit, true, but it is only for some extra goodies.

Zzoram

Rez said:

Exactly. This is a Square-Enix RPG, not a Bioware RPG.

Zzoram

I want to ask this:

How do you use a Sentry in a non-suck way? Snow can queue up 4 attacks. If he queues up Provoke 4 times, he uses them all on the same enemy instead of 1 on each enemy, defeating the purpose of an aggro magnet tank. You can only pick 1 target after queuing up Provoke. Is there a way to spread it out across all enemies? If not, what a useless role.

Alex

Rez said:
Fang's English VA is actually pretty good.

Most of the cast are pretty bearable, actually.

I like a lot of the voice work, really just bar Vanille, and we exceedingly won out over the Japanese work from the hunks of it I heard, ick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom