• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Zzoram said:
I want to ask this:

How do you use a Sentry in a non-suck way? Snow can queue up 4 attacks. If he queues up Provoke 4 times, he uses them all on the same enemy instead of 1 on each enemy, defeating the purpose of an aggro magnet tank. You can only pick 1 target after queuing up Provoke. Is there a way to spread it out across all enemies? If not, what a useless role.

I have no idea how to use it properly. Autobattle doesn't seem to pick the counter attack ability either, just provoke and steelguard...seems like it's only built for tough single enemies/boss battles.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Zzoram said:
I want to ask this:

How do you use a Sentry in a non-suck way? Snow can queue up 4 attacks. If he queues up Provoke 4 times, he uses them all on the same enemy instead of 1 on each enemy, defeating the purpose of an aggro magnet tank. You can only pick 1 target after queuing up Provoke. Is there a way to spread it out across all enemies? If not, what a useless role.

Queue up one provoke, hit triangle, queue up another provoke for a different enemy, etc.

Zzoram

Vanille having an on-again/off-again accent is infuriating. Why can't she be consistent? She's bad, but Hope is way worse.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
I want to ask this:

if an enemy is provoked, he usually moves onto another of the same type if available, doesn't it? I'm fairly sure that happened. But now I'm not so sure.

I do wish there was a more elegant way of provoking followed by an instant steelguard, though.

Just got to the part where I can finally start upgrading weapons.. Im scared though.. cuz I have a few weapons for each char and I'm not sure which I'm suppose to up or if I should just focus on one.. and if I find another what the heck do i do???

Can I seriously f myself if I'm not careful?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
Sentry class feels the most difficult to use effectively, so I'm really not digging Snow + Hope section.
fighting those floaty bikes with the gatling gun ability was a bitch. having to change paradigm, use provoke and then instantly use steelguard was cumbersome.

Zzoram

TurtleSnatcher said:
Just got to the part where I can finally start upgrading weapons.. Im scared though.. cuz I have a few weapons for each char and I'm not sure which I'm suppose to up or if I should just focus on one.. and if I find another what the heck do i do???

Can I seriously f myself if I'm not careful?

Just don't dismantle anything. Upgrading can't hurt you though. You really don't get much in the way of upgrade materials until Chapter 11 I believe.

Papercuts

Zzoram said:
Sentry class feels the most difficult to use effectively, so I'm really not digging Snow + Hope section.

I just used him as a commando the whole time. There's an enemy that will tear your shit up without sentinel, but aside from a few specific moments you swap to it I never use it.

Rez said:
fighting those floaty bikes with the gatling gun ability was a bitch. having to change paradigm, use provoke and then instantly use steelguard was cumbersome.

Yeah, them. Going from 1100 HP to death was a pretty big wtf moment for me. :lol

Can someone tell me what i should focus on now that im on Ch. 11? I feel a bit overwhelmed and noticeably weak. What enemies should i focus on for a CPper second max, and what weapons did you upgrade first?

When the hell do items get to teir 2?

Zzoram

Rez said:

It doesn't help that Hope barely deals damage, so when Snow is a Sentry I'm barely scratching the enemy. I need Lightning back, she does the most damage the fastest. I haven't enjoyed the combat as much whenever she's not around because the weaklings I get stuck with take a lot longer to kill things.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Zzoram said:
Sentinel is basically required for some battles IMO. All these people complaining about getting one shotted on various bosses need a fully buffed steelguarder :).

Really, a sentinel can draw fire away from your healer (most likely Hope or Vanille) who are kinda lacking hp for a good chunk of the game.

How can you beat any of the motorbikes in ch7 without using a sentinel? The Gatling gun will 100% wipe hope out if he gets hit.

Anony

really, you guys are enjoying this?

i'm on chapter 4 or 5, 5:40 hours in
the game is so fucken boring, go forward and battle, cut scene
battle mainly consist of autobattle

the best part about it is the leveling system, other than that, it's pretty weak

Papercuts

Zzoram said:
It doesn't help that Hope barely deals damage, so when Snow is a Sentry I'm barely scratching the enemy. I need Lightning back, she does the most damage the fastest. I haven't enjoyed the combat as much whenever she's not around because the weaklings I get stuck with take a lot longer to kill things.

I'd do commando/ravager for most of it, then when you use sentinel just make hope a medic for the hell of it.

Zzoram

Fimbulvetr said:
Hope has no accent, Vanille's VA is actually Australian....

I know those things. I just mean Hope as a character is awful.

Vanille has several lines where no accent is present, but in longer sentences you can hear the Australian accent. It drives me nuts because it almost seems like they're switching voice actors due to her accent coming/going.

Zzoram

Anony said:

the best part about it is the leveling system, other than that, it's pretty weak

I'm having enough fun to keep playing (on Ch7 now) but I'm certainly not happy about the way the game is going.

Anyone who finds the game boring in the early chapters will probably notice the game gets better in Chapter 9, and a lot better in Chapter 11.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Anony said:

To each his own, I am enjoying the heck out of the game. In my personal opinion, the battle system in FF13 is one of the best to ever be put in an RPG (especially coupled with the paradigms).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
I actually generally liked those sections outside of certain instances.

The two-person set-ups in general usually mean I have to change paradigms on the fly fairly often, meaning I actually feel like I'm doing more than "Relentless Assault / Diversity -> Auto-Battle -> X -> Enemy A-> X -> wait -> repeat"

granted, it does feel great when I get a three person team, but the two-person setup is a nice contrast to me. the difference between how I play with two people as opposed to how I play with three is fairly significant.

Zzoram

Rez said:
I actually generally liked those sections outside of certain instances.

The two-person set-ups in general usually mean I have to change paradigms on the fly fairly often, meaning I actually feel like I'm doing more than "Relentless Assault -> Auto-Battle -> X -> Enemy A-> X -> wait -> repeat"

granted, it does feel great when I get a three person team, but the two-person setup is a nice contrast to me. the difference between how I play with two people as opposed to how I play with three is fairly significant.

Thing is, the 2-person set-ups aren't used properly. If you go back and forth between 2 and 3, ok, that might be a nice change of pace. However, you spend ~18-20 hours using 2-person then suddenly go up to 3-person.

Anony said:

Im loving the game, Im reading all the datalogs and getting into the story pretty good, love the battle system, also the game is just beautiful, the world is incredible.

oh im a good 18 hrs in and up to chap 7.

OniShiro

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
To each his own, I am enjoying the heck out of the game. In my personal opinion, the battle system in FF13 is one of the best to ever be put in an RPG (especially coupled with the paradigms).

I agree, the older FF battle systems were too slow for my taste, I enjoy the new faster battle system a lot more, not as good as Star Ocean 3 battle system, but this is not an ARPG, so for an RPG I think it's great, the real time changing formations is a very nice touch

Anony said:

It gets better but the game might not be for you if you aren't enjoying it at all. If you don't like the battle system, you should probably just stop now. Either that or mix it up a bit and don't use auto-battle too much.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
OniShiro said:
I agree, the older FF battle systems were too slow for my taste, I enjoy the new faster battle system a lot more, not as good as Star Ocean 3 battle system, but this is not an ARPG, so for an RPG I think it's great, the real time changing formations is a very nice touch
It's not really faster, it's just that the decisions are already there ...so the game is playing itself, on your command ;]

Zomo

Does anyone know if there is a Cocoon font floating around yet?
I really can't be bothered making the font myself...

Jeels

hateradio said:
It's not really faster, it's just that the decisions are already there ...so the game is playing itself, on your command ;]

No, not really. In both you select attacks and attacks occur.

Dresden

Wow, chapter 6 took a long time. I spent most of the time fighting those scalebeasts, each one took about 4 to 5 minutes.

At chapter 7 now, 10.5 hours into the game. Can't wait to get to 9.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
interestingly, the CG cutscenes in this game don't take me out of the experience at all. the in-game just looks so damn nice.

it's pretty cool how far we've come.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I want to buy some Ultracompact Reactor but the store isn't selling them. What mission do I have to do to unlock it?

Xevren

I would imagine you're stuck with replaying the entire dungeon again.

Yoshichan, you need to do one of the hunts to get the license to buy from the store.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Xevren said:
Yoshichan, you need to do one of the hunts to get the license to buy from the store.
Yeah I know, hence "What mission do I have to do to unlock it?" :(

Just got to Gran Pulse.

Am I screwed if I just follow the yellow arrow and ignore the hunts?

I'm liking the story and don't want any diversions.

Yoshichan

Xevren said:
You edited!

Mission 7, in Yashas Massif.
Nooo I didn't :lol :lol Thanks a lot man, heading there asap.

Zoe

Xevren said:
I would imagine you're stuck with replaying the entire dungeon again.

There are teleports you can take to Cocoon, Eden, and the hallway before the boss.

marathonfool said:
Just got to Gran Pulse.

Am I screwed if I just follow the yellow arrow and ignore the hunts?

I'm liking the story and don't want any diversions.

You may find it pretty difficult if you ignore everything.

Lots of the hunts go straight along the story line (and some are required).

Sora_N

Finally finished the chapter 9 boss...basically did it wrong because
I didn't really know I wasn't supposed to be so defensive, kept healing during the end part where he was charging the shot. Ended up with a bad raiting still since I spent too much time trying to Libra all the parts, and to heal.

Spoiler tag just so I don't spoil anything about it.

Sora_N said:
Finally finished the chapter 9 boss...basically did it wrong because
I didn't really know I wasn't supposed to be so defensive, kept healing during the end part where he was charging the shot. Ended up with a bad raiting still since I spent too much time trying to Libra all the parts, and to heal.

Spoiler tag just so I don't spoil anything about it.

There is an item that libras all enemies on the field, fyi. Saves you precious TP later on in new areas.

Well I finally started FFXIII today and to my surprise I logged 10 and a half hours! I rarely go on long gaming runs, but there's something about FF games that get me hooked for long stretches and its happening again.

Some quick impressions that i'm sure in this huge thread have already been uttered many times. Man this game is clearly the next step in the FFX path. The way the levels are layed out, the continued streamlining (or making easier) of conventional RPG elements, the leveling up system, etc. Even in the music I can hear similarities. In the early chapters it was a bit disapointing that the levels essentially consisted of moving up. Even FFX never felt THAT linear, but i'm sure it was and I just forgot. Glad to see that at least in the later chapters, though you clearly have a main path there's little detours. I'd say my only real gripe isn't the lack of towns, its i'd like if there was a bit more open routes in the areas to do a bit more exploring. Not a ton is needed, but a little more.

The battle system is interesting. I think the way they slowly introduced the components in the early going was a good thing. Sure it made the early fights a little dull, but i would have been pretty overwhelmed if they threw everything at me, and I've put in my share of RPG time.

Also the world and story so far (i'm in Chapter 5) has been pretty cool. It still has some of the classic FF elements and look but also a full fleshed out world, culture, etc. Good thing they have that digital book early on. There were terms flying all over the place and i didn't know what was going on.

Now onto the characters impressions so far:
- Lightning : for years people have complained of having young whiney main FF characters (though i disagreed with them, they usually grew out of it). Well here ya go. Here's a no nonsense tough as nails badass main character. haha man she's like a fusion of Ashe & Squall. She can be mean, but I really like her :D
- Snow : I'm surprised how much i've liked him. From all the early media i figured i'd really hate him by his look, but so far he's been a pretty sincere and likable character
- Sazh : I was hearing some complaints on GAF about him, but i think he's the glue of the cast. Serves as the guide/historian of the world, the common man commentary to the crazy situations they're in, and comic relief. A fun character so far
- Vanille : I can see how she could really annoy some people with her over the top happy girl schtick. But so far she hasn't gotten on my nerves. She's like a more extreme riku or something
- Hope : Ah mopey hope. The Vaan/Tidus of the cast. In other games he could have easily been the main character. Thankfully he's not, and man he has been annoying at the start. I understand why he is, but at least he's starting to improve which is nice. I like it when chraracters in RPGs actually grow and have an arc. But clearly my least favorite cast member so far.
- Serah : eh she looks real young and it kind of freaks me out a bit. How old is she supposed to be in the game?

All an all i'm really liking it. I came in expecting a game like FFX and i'm getting what i expected. The battle system is starting to open up and i'm having fun with that. Also i'm always wanting to see what happens next, which is a key component of a FF. Something that unfortunately in FF12 stopped happening midway through it.

gketter said:
- Serah : eh she looks real young and it kind of freaks me out a bit. How old is she supposed to be in the game?
Supposedly she is 19 or somesuch, but she looks about 13 and is probably half the size of Snow, so yeah, your being freaked out is a justified reaction.

Cloudy

Banned
LMAO, just took 43 minutes to beat the
Airship boss in chapter 7. I knew the correct strategy (Entourage and Mystic Tower) but I kept trying to take out the main tank first instead of the turrets.

That fight really shows how good Sentinel can be :D

Cloudy

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

It would be the best battle system ever if you could switch who you're controlling on the fly. The lack of that feature makes it inferior to the awesomeness of FFX's system :D

Papercuts said:
So, will having two commandos always make them go after 2 different enemies? :(

Yes. I'd say the Medic and Commando AI are the worst. For example, the Medic AI won't recognize another medic in the party and will choose to keep solo healing instead of revive the other medic which would double the amount of healing to the party. If I'm controlling Light as a healer it's one of the few times I have to manually input a command.

Anyway I've finished this game and I'm moving on to Resonance of Fate when it's released.

My review of FFXIII.
http://tbtactics.blogspot.com/2010/03/ffxiii-review-press-buttons-1-6-to-win.html

Lots of spoiler free gameplay advice and boss strats for the most complained about bosses.
http://tbtactics.blogspot.com/2010/03/want-to-be-good-at-ffxiii.html

icarus-daedelus said:
Supposedly she is 19 or somesuch, but she looks about 13 and is probably half the size of Snow, so yeah, your being freaked out is a justified reaction.

yea and the catholic school girl outfit doesn't helping matters either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom