• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

miladesn said:
I don't have Frost and Zephyr rings (but I have the Gale ring), just tell me if there is a way to get these in ch11-13 or I'm out of luck. by the way I'm using this as a guide.

Did you sell them? If not they are probably just in an unopened chest in those chapters. Supposedly you can get them by dismantling max level earring of the same element.

burgerdog

Baha said:
For those of you attempting you farm traps for tier 3 weapons, you will need 6 traps for the weapon portion of the every item trophy. Now, here's how you can drastically go from 2 traps to 6:

This was taken from a random post I found via google, but it should be useful to those of you with the money and a trap who want to skip the farming. It's what I plan on doing when I reach the endgame section.
The issue is money, not traps. Once you are able kill turtles in 2 minutes and can farm them you will see what we're saying.

linsivvi

burgerdog said:
The issue is money, not traps. Once you are able kill turtles in 2 minutes and can farm them you will see what we're saying.

I had enough money after selling everything but only 5 traps, so it all depends on your luck. Using this trick the ideal number of traps is 3, then you only need an additional of 1-1.5M to create all 6 ultimate weapons.

burgerdog

linsivvi said:
I had enough money after selling everything but only 5 traps, so it all depends on your luck. Using this trick the ideal number of traps is 3, then you only need an additional of 1-1.5M to create all 6 ultimate weapons.
I noticed you said create only. Getting the lv3 weps to lv100 requires a lot more money than 1.5m.

orion434

burgerdog said:
I noticed you said create only. Getting the lv3 weps to lv100 requires a lot more money than 1.5m.

Yeah, it seems that way... I'm actually doing the dismantle method only once because I chose the wrong Kain's Lance that I want. So once I get the 3 Traps doing this ( Currently lv 78 ) I'll get my 3 main characters's Ultimate weapons... then move onto farming Gil + Cp and when I max-out the other 2 main jobs for each I'll get my 3 other traps from turtles.

Amir0x said:
For example on Ballius Mission 7, I just want Hope to cast Faith and Barthunder on each of my crew, but he runs down the litany of less important buffs that play virtually no role in the fight. And since killing Ballius in < 1 min 15 secs is a priority for five star, it's so goddamn irritating. It's so retarded that instead of Fang attacking with Flamestrike on a enemy that's weak vs. physical attacks AND fire, she mixes Fire -> Flamestrike -> Fire -> Flamestrike.

This is why gambits are needed.
Not refuting your point but in the case of Mission 7 at least, wouldn't it make sense for you to directly control the character that requires the most amount of handholding so as to not be dependent on a fluky AI?

Go into that fight playing as Hope directly and you've got full control over your buffs while your other two guys attack as needed.

linsivvi

burgerdog said:

Not really. From tier 1 to tier 3 cost no more than 150k. From tier 3 to max is around 1.2M -1.5M exp. At that stage ulteacompact reactor should yield 60K exp at 3x bonus, which means around 25 should be enough. 25x50K gil = 1.25M gil. The cost for buying jelly/sturdy bones is negligible.

Also don't forget the weapon you dismantle counts towards one of the six weapons you need, so you would need to bring it to tier 3 anyway. And you can wait until you are ready to claim the treasure hunter before you dismantle it, so you have a max weapon to use (I chose Vanille's debuff wand).

Edit: The quoted post even included the total cost, from nothing to max cost 1.5M. And you don't start from nothing since Fang and Vanille need a tier 3 weapon anyway.

Pooya

linsivvi said:
Did you sell them? If not they are probably just in an unopened chest in those chapters. Supposedly you can get them by dismantling max level earring of the same element.
No I didn't sell anything. so the ice ring can be found in ch11-13 then?

I know I saw a weapon upgrade guide in here, cant find it, not sure which item to use once I maxed out on a couple of weapons, any help? thanks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Seriously, Ive decided everyones final weapon except Fangs... whats the best one if youre out for RAW, PURE damage with maybe 10% saboteur? Is it the dragoon lance?

linsivvi

miladesn said:
No I didn't sell anything. so the ice ring can be found in ch11-13 then?

I am pretty sure they can be found in those chapters otherwise we would hear lots of complains by now given the fact that you can't go back to earlier chapters. Maybe they are mission rewards or something. I really can't remember.

forgrim

Yoshichan said:
Seriously, Ive decided everyones final weapon except Fangs... whats the best one if youre out for RAW, PURE damage with maybe 10% saboteur? Is it the dragoon lance?

I consider Taming Pole her best weapon.

scotcheggz

Finally got my arse off chapter 11 and finished it just now. What a load of nonsense.

The last two chapters were apparently created by some ADD riddled five year old on an acid trip and I don't mean that in a good way. Overall, i think the game was ok, it had some really high points, but it also had some really low points; Unfortunately, I think they were just too many and too deep. There were also some really crazy oversights of very simple things like resetting Paradigms everytime the game made you change party for one fight, spinning map but no compass, weird AI positioning on the battlefield etc.

I sound really down on it, which isn't totally true, I logged about 90+ hours I think in the end give or take and I'm glad I experienced it. Was it worth the five year wait since the white engine trailer? Nope. Will I play it again? Doubtful. Pretty much never expected to say that about a Final fantasy.

Edit: Perhaps I will play it again,
just to hear Lightning say "congrats".
I actually burst out laughing. :lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier
linsivvi said:
Not really. From tier 1 to tier 3 cost no more than 150k. From tier 3 to max is around 1.2M -1.5M exp. At that stage ulteacompact reactor should yield 60K exp at 3x bonus, which means around 25 should be enough. 25x50K gil = 1.25M gil. The cost for buying jelly/sturdy bones is negligible.

Also don't forget the weapon you dismantle counts towards one of the six weapons you need, so you would need to bring it to tier 3 anyway. And you can wait until you are ready to claim the treasure hunter before you dismantle it, so you have a max weapon to use (I chose Vanille's debuff wand).

Edit: The quoted post even included the total cost, from nothing to max cost 1.5M. And you don't start from nothing since Fang and Vanille need a tier 3 weapon anyway.

But isn't it 1.2-1.5 mil per weapon? That's a ton of gil. :(

MrDenny

So is there no invisible defense system, does everyone receive the same amount of damage?
Do some characters/roles fill up the atb faster than others?
Thanks.

burgerdog

luxarific said:
But isn't it 1.2-1.5 mil per weapon? That's a ton of gil. :(

Yes, that's what I was trying to tell him, 1.5m PER-FUCKING-WEAPON. I ended up with another god damn trap(4 now)and a few ingots earlier today. Fang and Light have a maxed out lv3 weapon already with Vanille at lv63 on her lv3. I'm done for a few days, the end-game was designed with a carrot on a stick MMO mentality, makes no fucking sense for an offline rpg. I just want to prepare myself for doing the marks, which is what I really want to do, but in order to even stand a chance I have to do this retarded grind first. Fuck that, coming back in a few days.

edit
I was really enjoying the game up until turtle farming came up, to the point where I have ignored god of war 3, metro 2033, and perfect dark completely. Drop rates ;;

BeeDog

Got my copy yesterday, and have played for a few hours (still on Chapter 3). Some minor impressions:

- I want to crush Vanille's skull, probably the most annoying video game character in a long time. Is she retarded or something?

- Graphics are top notch.

- Outside of Vanille, I don't really mind the other characters presented so far.

- I found the fight vs. the robot in chapter 3 (the one where you learn about Paradigm Shifting) to be really hard :lol talk about a difficulty spike for me.

linsivvi

burgerdog said:
Yes, that's what I was trying to tell him, 1.5m PER-FUCKING-WEAPON. I ended up with another god damn trap(4 now)and a few ingots earlier today. Fang and Light have a maxed out lv3 weapon already with Vanille at lv63 on her lv3. I'm done for a few days, the end-game was designed with a carrot on a stick MMO mentality, makes no fucking sense for an offline rpg. I just want to prepare myself for doing the marks, which is what I really want to do, but in order to even stand a chance I have to do this retarded grind first. Fuck that, coming back in a few days.

edit
I was really enjoying the game up until turtle farming came up, to the point where I have ignored god of war 3, metro 2033, and perfect dark completely. Drop rates ;;

Huh? You only need to max ONE weapon. Treasure hunter only requires you to have every item in your possession at one point, and not even at the same time. You don't need to max anything except for the purpose of breaking it for 3 traps or having the most powerful party possible.

Shit I hope you guys are not wasting time trying to max all 6 weapons!

burgerdog

linsivvi said:
Huh? You only need to max ONE weapon. Treasure hunter only requires you to have every item in your possession at one point, and not even at the same time. You don't need to max anything except for the purpose of breaking it for 3 traps or having the most powerful party possible.

I don't care about the trophy, I want to do the high level marks and eventually Long Gui and that does require 3 characters with maxed out lv3 weapons and accessories.

MrDenny said:
So is there no invisible defense system, does everyone receive the same amount of damage?
Do some characters/roles fill up the atb faster than others?
Thanks.
I don't think characters innately have any defense (I could be wrong though). Each character has different HP, Sentinels have more defense and increase the defense of the party, and certain accessories grant physical defense bonuses or physical walls. As for the ATB filling faster for certain roles, I haven't noticed that being the case.

linsivvi

burgerdog said:
I don't care about the trophy, I want to do the high level marks and eventually Long Gui and that does require 3 characters with maxed out lv3 weapons and accessories.

No it doesn't. I beat everything with only Fang's weapon maxed, Vanille's stayed at tier 2 until very late and Lightning had a regular tier 3. Having the other 2 weapons maxed wouldn't make too much of a difference since it all come downs to bringing the limit to as high as possible then do massive damage with Fang as a COM.

linsivvi said:

I thought you need all weapons and accessories maxed, and only one Ultimate weapon for trophy hunter? Ah, so many conflicting theories.

Also, I know i posted this before, but has anyone confirmed that finishing the game with only tier one weapons, makes 5 staring the missions in end-game easier cause of a larger time limit or something?

burgerdog

linsivvi said:
No it doesn't. I beat everything with only Fang's weapon maxed, Vanille's stayed at tier 2 until very late and Lightning had a regular tier 3. Having the other 2 weapons maxed wouldn't make too much of a difference since it all come downs to bringing the limit to as high as possible then do massive damage with Fang as a COM.

Oh? That's good to hear. Were you able to 5 star every mark? That is one thing I really want to do.

orion434

gutterboy44 said:
I thought you need all weapons and accessories maxed, and only one Ultimate weapon for trophy hunter? Ah, so many conflicting theories.

Also, I know i posted this before, but has anyone confirmed that finishing the game with only tier one weapons, makes 5 staring the missions in end-game easier cause of a larger time limit or something?

Yeah for the "Superstar" Achievement / Trophy you can equip Fang + Hope with Tier 1 weapons and it will give you more time for 5-Star, but there is a very easy method with:

Rav - Com - Rav - Stagger
Sab - Sab - Syn - Death-Spam

If you don't land the kill before being "unstaggered" hit start + retry... fast forward 10 cut-scenes and try again. Should take no longer than 10 mins.

lljride

You know, this kind of raises a question I've had for a while. What's the benefit of carrying around maxed ultimate weapons at all (especially if you're going for 5 stars)? As I understand maxed ultimate weapons make it HARDER to 5 star everything since it lowers the time allowed.

Are they as pointless as they seem or is it just me?

Nose Master said:
Really don't know if I'm gonna have the stomach to grind for hours/days to be able to beat the last ten or so hunts. Prolly just going to fish out some of the easier achievements (maxing out specific classes) and call it quits. Kind of stupid that there's such a monumental gap inbetween the first 50 missions and the last ten.

burgerdog said:
I just want to prepare myself for doing the marks, which is what I really want to do, but in order to even stand a chance I have to do this retarded grind first. Fuck that, coming back in a few days.

Again. This game requires no grinding at all. Upgrade your resist and damage deduction accessories if you don't have enough HP. I've completed 63 of 64 missions with lvl 1 weapons. I just upgraded my accessories to be able to complete the last couple missions. The battle system is geared toward strategy, specific teams, and paradigm setups rather than pure base stats.

I hate to see people give up on a game because of a false grinding requirement perception.

linsivvi

burgerdog said:
Oh? That's good to hear. Were you able to 5 star every mark? That is one thing I really want to do.

Yep some I needed to use shrouds but otherwise just need good defense acc against the enemies' main element. Against Long Gui I wore lots of anti earth and entity rings.

marathonfool said:
Again. This game requires no grinding at all. Upgrade your resist and damage deduction accessories if you don't have enough HP. I've completed 63 of 64 with lvl 1 weapons. I just upgraded my accessories to be able to complete the last couple missions. The battle system is geared toward strategy, specific teams, and paradigm setups rather than pure base stats.

I hate to see people give up on a game because of a false grinding requirement perception.
The other aspect that you bring up is that the game will actually PUNISH people with upgraded weapons based on their stat boosts. You'll have less time to 5-star missions (as I've found when scouring YouTube).

Rolling with unupgraded weapons and souped-up accessories that focus on reduced damage %s and not stat boosts seems to be the way to go.

onken

You certainly DON'T need maxed out weapons to 5-star every mission. I did them all with only Fang's weapon maxed out. Vanille and Fang both had base tier 3s. Traps were far more in abundance that ingots for me, so I certainly wouldn't recommend using the break-down method unless you really do have a lot of cash to spare.

lljride said:
You know, this kind of raises a question I've had for a while. What's the benefit of carrying around maxed ultimate weapons at all (especially if you're going for 5 stars)? As I understand maxed ultimate weapons make it HARDER to 5 star everything since it lowers the time allowed.

Are they as pointless as they seem or is it just me?
B-Rad Lascelle said:
The other aspect that you bring up is that the game will actually PUNISH people with upgraded weapons based on their stat boosts. You'll have less time to 5-star missions (as I've found when scouring YouTube).

Rolling with unupgraded weapons and souped-up accessories that focus on reduced damage %s and not stat boosts seems to be the way to go.

Uh, no. You realise if you're doing more damage you can beat the enemies quicker, right? In any rate, the time increases are totally negligible (there's one exception I think) and if you have to rely on using tier-1 weapons to shave a couple of seconds off your time then you're doing something wrong tactics-wise.

eXistor

At long last FFXIII has become worth playing. I kind of hated it up until chapter 10, but chapter 10 (while way too long) was a pretty good dungeon and then of course came Chapter 11. I've spent quite a few hours there already, maxed out my crystarium stuff as far as possible and upgraded a few weapons and did all possible Marks up until that point. My party is probably way overpowered, but I don;t care. If this means I can get through the rest of the game without any problems, all the better.

I've just started the rest of the chapter and it;s right back in long narrow tunnels, but I know that when I finish the piece-of-shit main quest I can return to the real meat of the game. If only the whole game was like the Steppe...oh wait, FFXII was like that and it was glorious.

burgerdog

linsivvi said:
Yep some I needed to use shrouds but otherwise just need good defense acc against the enemies' main element. Against Long Gui I wore lots of anti earth and entity rings.

Ooooh, thanks a bunch. Going right back to 13 then :D

rayner said:
Yeah for the "Superstar" Achievement / Trophy you can equip Fang + Hope with Tier 1 weapons and it will give you more time for 5-Star, but there is a very easy method with:

Rav - Com - Rav - Stagger
Sab - Sab - Syn - Death-Spam

If you don't land the kill before being "unstaggered" hit start + retry... fast forward 10 cut-scenes and try again. Should take no longer than 10 mins.

Thanks mate

burgerdog

eXistor said:
If only the whole game was like the Steppe...oh wait, FFXII was like that and it was glorious.

FFXII is easily one of my favorite FFs and one of the things that I truly love about it is the way the world is connected. It was amazing discovering deeper parts of the map that held powerful enemies deep within. I think every area had you coming back to it to discover a new section of it, but the way it all connects is :eek:

linsivvi

gutterboy44 said:

Nah you need 1 ultimate (tier 3) weapon for each character, but you don't need to bring them to max level. Same goes for accessories.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
marathonfool said:
Again. This game requires no grinding at all. Upgrade your resist and damage deduction accessories if you don't have enough HP. I've completed 63 of 64 missions with lvl 1 weapons. I just upgraded my accessories to be able to complete the last couple missions. The battle system is geared toward strategy, specific teams, and paradigm setups rather than pure base stats.

You need gil to upgrade the accessories, though. If you experimented with the upgrade system at all, like I did, w/o consulting a faq/guide, you likely wasted gil that is virtually impossible to earn except by grinding enemies that might drop valuable items. So yeah, I do think it requires grinding for gil purposes alone (not to mention maxing out the level 4 crystarium grid).

luxarific said:
You need gil to upgrade the accessories, though. If you experimented with the upgrade system at all, like I did, w/o consulting a faq/guide, you likely wasted gil that is virtually impossible to earn except by grinding enemies that might drop valuable items. So yeah, I do think it requires grinding for gil purposes alone (not to mention maxing out the level 4 crystarium grid).

You don't need any upgrades. I did just about every mission with base weapons and accessories. Even if you spent all your money early, you will get enough materials from the trials to upgrade. While doing all the missions, you are guaranteed to come across treasures to dig that will sell for gil in the shop.

I had no more than one role at level 5 for my characters during most of the missions.

Meier

Amir0x said:
Anyway, back to criticism for me!

Man though, the more you play the more the A.I. is fuck annoying. It's so dumb that you can force two commando's to attack same target unless it's the last enemy there. It's so dumb that I can prioritize which buffs/debuffs to cast first.
The best part is when they don't cast any sort of elemental attack on you even if the enemy is resistant to physical and/or range attacks but not to elemental. They'll only do it if they're weak against one. It definitely is very, very frustrating.. I'm surprised that it isn't customizable at all.

The two commandos thing is absolutely absurd too.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
marathonfool said:
You don't need any upgrades. I did just about every mission with base weapons and accessories. Even if you spent all your money early, you will get enough materials from the trials to upgrade. While doing all the missions, you are guaranteed to come across treasures to dig that will sell for gil in the shop.

I had no more than one role at level 5 for my characters during most of the missions.

I'm happy for you, but based on my experience on fooling around with the upgrade system w/o consulting a faq, you will only have enough money if you know what you're doing and don't waste gil on inefficient upgrades. The upgrade stones sell for peanuts, as do most other items, except for the "can be sold for a premium" items. And to get sufficient quantities of the premium items to be able to afford upgrading accessories and buying multiple copies of accessories that are only doled out in piecemeal quantity in missions, you need to grind.

I think the vast majority of missions are doable w/o grinding. I think I did 80% before fighting the final boss. But the most difficult ones are going to be extremely difficult for most people pre-end-game (which is what I'm discussing), simply because your character stats are capped by the game until after the last level of the crystarium opens up. To make up for your weak characters (w/o using death spam), you either have to use accessories or weapons. To upgrade those you need gil. And besides the robot quest that grants you something like 550K of gil, you will not have enough to spend, particularly if you did not wait until Chapter 11 to begin playing with the upgrade system.

If you don't waste gil on unnecessary upgrades, then I agree, there's probably enough to upgrade accessories/weapons w/o grinding. But if you're not using a guide/faq and actually experiment with the upgrade system, you're likely to run out of gil to upgrade or buy the stat accessories you need to win the toughest missions pre end-game.

Tom Penny

I find it amusing I forgot to hit square against the gesalt boss on level 8 and wasted a good extra 15 minutes fighting it. I never saw the Icon :lol

SixStringPsycho said:
Im at chapter 8 or 9. And theres a boss fight with a huge ship. HOw the fuck do I beat that shit?

[.spoiler][/spoiler] Remove the dot.

Just take it down part by part. Taking out the turrets etc. will lower its total damage output and doing so also damages the main hull itself (with should be your final target).

So long as you watch your health, it should be a breeze.

EDIT: Oops. Wrong boss.

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom