• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrakier

Lince said:
wow, you reached 999,999 CP without defeating the last boss first? you crazy elephant, that sort of grinding is reserved for post-game ! :lol

alright, just develop Vainille and use the poision trick on the boss then.

I didn't do too much grinding. Just some missions. I still get killed my some mobs. I just never used Vanille. Which class should I develop and what's ze poison trick? EDIT: Dont' call me crazy elephant. I'm not crazy.

BeeDog

Can someone provide a working strategy for Gigantuar? He keeps slaughtering me. :(

EDIT: nevermind, think I just need to use Daze effectively.

Lince

Banned
Thrakier said:
I just never used Vanille. Which class should I develop and what's ze poison trick?

saboteur, spam poison on the boss until it sticks, then continue your routine, it will make him go down way quicker.

KZObsessed

How many Dark Matters are required overall? Just checked a guide and counted 5, thought I'd check tho. Still need a load more Plat Ingots and 1 more Trapezohedron before I get the Long Guis to appear ;_;

Lince

Banned
KZObsessed said:
How many Dark Matters are required overall? Just checked a guide and counted 5, thought I'd check tho. Still need a load more Plat Ingots and 1 more Trapezohedron before I get the Long Guis to appear ;_;

are you back into this? that's why you won't play MAG with us anymore ;_;

I was playing FFXIII early this morning just to get every weapon maxed out, I don't have any other incentives sadly. Get 6 Dark Matters just to be sure, they're easy to obtain anyway and the battles with the guis are rather fun (albeit a bit on the quick side), be ready to spend some "quality time" upgrading stuff for the Treasure Hunter trophy if you're aiming for the Platinum. That was horrible even when I was tracking everything from the start and checked GAF's guide I ended up missing a tungsten bracelet that you can't get anywhere, you HAVE to buy it... and then go back to Vanille's
robot
in
Oerba
. Ridiculous time-consuming trophy.

BeeDog

Lince said:
are you back into this? that's why you won't play MAG with us anymore ;_;

I was playing FFXIII early this morning just to get every weapon maxed out, I don't have any other incentives sadly. Get 6 Dark Matters just to be sure, they're easy to obtain anyway and the battles with the guis are rather fun (albeit a bit on the quick side), be ready to spend some "quality time" upgrading stuff for the Treasure Hunter trophy if you're aiming for the Platinum. That was horrible even when I was tracking everything from the start and checked GAF's guide I ended missing a tungsten bracelet that you can't get anywhere, you have to buy it... and then go back to Vanille's [/spoiler]robot[/spoiler] in Oerba. Ridiculous time-consuming trophy.

What strategy did you use for (Shao)long Guis?

Babalu.

Anyone got any tips for mission 64? I'm maxed out with max weapons but dude keeps getting me down when he's about halfway dead.

Lince

Banned
BeeDog said:
What strategy did you use for (Shao)long Guis?

I'm just such a pro using the spoiler tags :lol

For Shao long Guis I used this strategy, mind you I had the crystalyum already unlocked and maxed out, assuming you already have casted libra on them and you don't have Dark Matters to upgrade your power gloves / weirding glyphs

Fang (leader):

Kain's Lance (Calamity Spear) + genji gloves + power gloves + sprint shoes + collector's catalog

Lightning:

Ultima weapon (Lionheart) + genji gloves + power gloves + speed sash + connoisseur catalog

Vanille:

Nirvana (Marlboro Wand) + genji gloves + weirding glyph x 3

start with SEN/SEN/SEN... after the initial attack switch to SYN/SYN/SYN and try to have everyone cast haste/protect/shell/faith/bravery... at least try to get protect and haste because you're going to get interrupted with another attack so switch to SEN/SEN/SEN and then SAB/MED/MED so everyone is healed while keeping debuffs going, now quickly switch to SAB/SAB/SAB and keep working on those debuffs (deshell, deprotect, imperil, slow and DAZE) the moment you get the gui dazed STOP/CANCEL WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING and switch to SYN/SYN/SYN, fully buff the party and swith to RAV/RAV/RAV to work on the stagger bar then when you get the stagger switch to COM/COM/COM for massive damage, if the gui uses quake or ultima switch immediately to SEN/SEN/SEN and then SAB/MED/MED -> SAB/SAB/SAB, get it dazed again and STOP/CANCEL, then SYN/SYN/SYN if needed and RAV/RAV/RAV -> COM/COM/COM the bastard to death using Fang's Highwind when the staggered state is about to end.

with the upgraded versions of the power/magic accessories I use a different, more aggressive strategy that gets them down in 2 minutes but you need Dark Matters for that :p

for the Long Gui trophy after you got the Dark Matters and upgraded your weapons and equipment just use an Eidolon, then after debuffing the poor bastard spam death with Vanille (4 Magical Crests equipped) switching to a COM/COM/COM paradigm before the spell hits so it causes MASSIVE damage (up to 999,999 with genji gloves), there's a cheap way involving elixirs, but I found the Vanille death->COM trick to be the most effective and quick.

KZObsessed said:

Be sure to get some more to create more kaiser knuckles and the equivalent for magic :)
(str +300, magic+300)

Also Dark Matter droprate is pretty high, not really difficult to get.

Thoraxes

Thrakier said:
I didn't do too much grinding. Just some missions. I still get killed my some mobs. I just never used Vanille. Which class should I develop and what's ze poison trick? EDIT: Dont' call me crazy elephant. I'm not crazy.

The team I used was Light, Sazh, and Vanille.
Paradigms, in the same order as I listed the characters:

COM, RAV, MED
COM, RAV, RAV
RAV, RAV, RAV
MED, SYN, MED
COM, SYN, RAV*
MED, COM, SAB

* = My starting Paradigm.

With those, I had no trouble at all. Though I found that I played the game a bit differently than others.

Zoe

Lince said:
wow, you reached 999,999 CP without defeating the last boss first? you crazy elephant, that sort of grinding is reserved for post-game ! :lol

That doesn't require any grinding. I reached it with Sazh during the Titan Trials prior to finishing the game.

Lightning

Banned
Zoe said:
That doesn't require any grinding. I reached it with Sazh during the Titan Trials prior to finishing the game.
You were strong enough for those before completing the game? I tried that and got owned badly by the Titan selected monsters. That Wyvern (Forgot name) kept owning me with Feeding Stomp which does an insane amount of damage. I got frustrated in the end and went back post game to do those. Still haven't completed all of them.

brb

Babalu. said:
Anyone got any tips for mission 64? I'm maxed out with max weapons but dude keeps getting me down when he's about halfway dead.

Here's what I used to 5-star him... beat him in around ~7 mins or something I don't remember.

Fang (party leader)/Vanille/Hope

Kain Lance(star-from Calamity)/Nue(star-from Hawkeye)/Nirvana(star-from Marlboro Wand)

As for accessories just make sure you have genji gloves on everyone to break the 99,999 damage limit and your strongest +Magic and +Strength on

Also ake sure you use your shrouds before the cut-scene starts

paradigm (in this order):
SAB/SAB/SAB
RAV/RAV/RAV
MED/MED/MED
SYN/SYN/SYN
COM/RAV/MED <-- free one really you can put whatever you want
SEN/SEN/SEN

-'Enfeeble' him with your SABs until he is at least deshelled, imperiled, and poisoned (poison is a must!)
-Once he has enough status ailments switch to all RAVs and just pummel him with magic
-After a bit he will probably go in his shell and heal... this is when you switch to your MEDs and heal up as well
-Once fully healed (or close to it) switch to all SYNs and buff. Since you are Fang make sure you use Bravera, Faithra, Protectra, etc. on yourself and teammates
-Once he comes out of his shell repeat the process with your SABs -> RAVs (remember poison is a must and since Fang can't use it you have to wait until Vanille's or Hope's stick, in the meantime continue to debuff him until poison eventually does stick)
-If you manage to stagger him before he goes into his shell switch over to COM/RAV/MED (or whatever you used) and continue to pummel him. if his stagger percentage is high enough I used Fang's Highwind (for massive damage).
-Once his HP is at a certain point he will use a move called Wicked Whirl (or something like that) this move owns and is the single purpose for SEN/SEN/SEN. Once you see that move appear on the screen, quickly change to your SENs no matter what you are doing
-After the movie is over make sure you switch to your MEDs and heal up then continue on what you were working on before Wicked Whirl hit
-rinse and repeat :)

It took me 2-3 tries it really was just a matter of switching to the right paradigm and the right time.

Cloudy

Banned
WTF, how do I beat
Bahmut
? It's been hit and miss so far, sometimes he kills the party in seconds and other times I have some success. I'm guess you have to slow him down first but what is the best strategy?

jiggle

KZObsessed said:

yup 5
HP ring
ATK ring
MAG ring
Super Ribbon
Procyons weapon

if you're going for trophy
a trick to not waste them on ribbon/gun/hP ring is to get everything else first
save your game
upgrade those 3 items with darkmatter, get your trophy
then reset the game
u will get to use those 3 extra darkmatter to make more attack and magic rings :)

Babalu. said:

Fight defensively! Make sure eveyrone has a maxed on gale ring (-wind damage)
stack on entite rings
and -damage rings
and -magic damage rings

he's really easy otherwise
this is a fight that requires a lot of buffing and debuffing
so the less time you spend on healing the better
POISON is VErY CRUCIAL, it must LAND everytime he comes out of his shield

BeeDog said:
Can someone provide a working strategy for Gigantuar? He keeps slaughtering me. :(

EDIT: nevermind, think I just need to use Daze effectively.

Totally cheat way to kill him but...
equip Sazh with Rigel(tier 1 or 2)
and 1 of these accessories - Survivalist Catalog, Hunter's Friends, Energy Sash, Speed Sash
giving sazh the "random:instant chain" ability

at the start of the fight, have Sazh use 2 blitz
if he doesn't stagger the mob after 2-3 tries
press start and retry
dies ReALLY faster after he's staggered

the fight will take less than 20 seconds depending on ur luck :)

Cloudy

Banned
Haha, nm about
Bahamut
. I forgot that I had 20+k unsused CP points for Vanille (she is required for the battle) and I used them and beat him the next try pretty easily. Took under 2 minutes (target time is 27 mins) and I got 5 stars and his rare drop.

I just equipped items on Lightning to cast shell and protect at the start and also one on Vanille that cast everything when her HP was low. For the battle it was just Relentless Assault and Combat Clinic with Ruthless to hinder him. Easy :D

brb

Cloudy said:
Haha, nm about
Bahamut
. I forgot that I had 20+k unsused CP points for Vanille (she is required for the battle) and I used them and beat him the next try pretty easily. Took under 2 minutes (target time is 27 mins) and I got 5 stars and his rare drop.

I just equipped items on Lightning to cast shell and protect at the start and also one on Vanille that cast everything when her HP was low. For the battle it was just Relentless Assault and Combat Clinic with Ruthless to hinder him. Easy :D

I think they just made the target time so high for eidolan battles so you always 5 star it... not like the battles can last that long anyways because of doom

Ok, I cannot get the 6th trap for the life of me. I'm thinking of doing the growth trick with Vanille since I don't use her anyway. Is there any downfall to this at all? I have to max one of her weapons anyway for the Treasure achievement so I don't see how this would be a waste of gil at all. Want to make sure of this before I do it.

Cloudy

Banned
brb said:
I think they just made the target time so high for eidolan battles so you always 5 star it... not like the battles can last that long anyways because of doom

And I thought I was special :lol

Thrakier

desverger said:
I found it to be a pain in the ass as well, but the main strategy you want to use here is to control Lightning yourself, then bring Hope and Vanille with you. If Light has Lionheart/Ultima Weapon it's even better.

When the boss is in the "Light" aspect, it's your job to build the chain gauge up FAST with Light's Army of One skill from her RAV tree. The big-ass sword move Oprhan does never kills you, it's a %-based attack, just keep at it but remember to heal after the move, so the normal attacks don't get you. Try to get a stagger off in this phase.

When the boss is in the "Dark" aspect, you'll have to play way more defensively because of all the status shit flying around and the stupid tentacles. Forget offense and go MED/MED/MED or MED/MED/SYN just to cure those status ailments. If you get those ailments cleared up fast, prioritize debuffing the boss and then try to get a few hits off.

Make sure to keep Poison on the boss all times though, since he has tons of hp and is vulnerable to it.

Thank you. Was piss easy with that strategy, needed like 4 minutes.
Man, that ending was really awesome. I was like "oooh" and "aaah" and "that makes sense" and "I get it" and "I do understand". I was very happy that Sazhs boy came back and sera, that warmed my heart. However I was still sad that the mother of the emo-kid didn't come back. *sniff* One of the best endings I've ever seen in a game. I love it when everything comes together in the end and that was just beautiful work by SE. All questions answered and loose ends tight together. A masterpiece. SEs masterpiece. And the pinnacle of japanese gamedesign so far.

THANK GOD ITS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Finally got to Gran Pulse. Took me 25 hours. Yeesh.

I never have any items to upgrade, and I just realized how woefully under leveled my weapons are (and i havent upgrade a single item). What's been determined to be the most efficient method of obtaining materials to upgrade/best areas to grind for the right stuff?
It's barely explained at all in the game, so not sure even really the best way to go about this

darkwings

Banned
John Harker said:

I never have any items to upgrade, and I just realized how woefully under leveled my weapons are (and i havent upgrade a single item). What's been determined to be the most efficient method of obtaining materials to upgrade/best areas to grind for the right stuff?
It's barely explained at all in the game, so not sure even really the best way to go about this

do mission 7 over and over

jiggle

John Harker said:

use organic component to create a x3 multiplier
then toss in a bunch of the same mechanical component (first look up for the exact xp each weapon needs to upgrade, so u don't put in more points than needed)

a good place to do is is mission 7 with bomb cores

brb said:

Unless there was a away to circumvent that aspect of doom that was cut in the game making process.

I dont know, there has to be some exploit to circumvent doom though.

LowParry

So after about a full day of thinking over the ending and the course of beating the game, I've decided this is the worse FF game I've played out of all the FF's. The battle system in a way saves the game entirely but with the option to "auto" everything, FF has really lost what truly makes an RPG. Hell. Lost Odyssey I consider a better game over FF13. Great for the sales of the game but this is one FF I'll soon forget. Now. Bring on FF14!

jiggle

samven582 said:

most missions reward bomb ashs/cores when repeated
but what's good about mission 7 is it's really close to the cie'th stone
saves a lot of time when running back and forth

the bomb cores you get are good for skilling up weapons/accessories at that point in the game
and you can farm crown/tiara on top of doing that

Blader

For people who have played both...

How long is this game compared to Tales of Vesperia? I've got a couple free weeks coming up, and both games in my backlog, but I'll likely only have enough time to finish one. Which is shorter to finish?

hamchan

Blader5489 said:

How long is this game compared to Tales of Vesperia? I've got a couple free weeks coming up, and both games in my backlog, but I'll likely only have enough time to finish one. Which is shorter to finish?
I think they're both around 40 hours if you just want to do the main quest.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just kicked the final boss's ass.

in all, I'm very satisfied with everything. I felt like I totally got the $60US worth of value out of the fifty hours I spent with this. I can see how it could be frustrating if you sat down and finished during the first week, but I took it nice and slow and enjoyed it a lot more as a result. I haven't had this much fun with a JRPG battle system in a while, although I never really got down to the nitty-gritty late game in FFXII (my last attempt ended just after I passed over some large plains to a tribal village of some sort, about 20 or 30ish hours in). I liked the character pairing they did early in the game, but at the same time I loved it when I got full choice later on in, probably more so as a result of the direct contrast it created with everything that preceded it.

I think I might still play occasionally, slowly leveling up my characters to max and finishing off some of the harder hunts. I have finished most of them between 1-30, and a chunk of the 50s. I don't even know where to find most of the 30s and 40s. :lol

Firestorm

Blader5489 said:

They're both about 40 hours I believe. Vesperia is the better game so if you only have time for one right now, play that.

Rez said:
just kicked the final boss's ass.

in all, I'm very satisfied with everything. I felt like I totally got the $60US worth of value out of the fifty hours I spent with this. I can see how it could be frustrating if you sat down and finished during the first week, but I took it nice and slow and enjoyed it a lot more as a result. I haven't had this much fun with a JRPG battle system in a while, although I never really got down to the nitty-gritty late game in FFXII (my last attempt ended just after I passed over some large plains to a tribal village of some sort, about 20 or 30ish hours in). I liked the character pairing they did early in the game, but at the same time I loved it when I got full choice later on in, probably more so as a result of the direct contrast it created with everything that preceded it.

I think I might still play occasionally, slowly leveling up my characters to max and finishing off some of the harder hunts. I have finished most of them between 1-30, and a chunk of the 50s. I don't even know where to find most of the 30s and 40s. :lol

I also beat the game tonight. I was really pleased with the way the game ended, although I have to say I am extremely disappointed with the crystarium expansion. I was expecting some new abilities, not just a huge HP boost!

mhh well, the ending... I think it kinda sucks, actually the whole plot revealed in the last third of the game in general.
At least now I know what the game's logo is supposed to be.

I didn't like the "we have no plan/idea but let's do it anyway" situation in the last part of the game. Basically in all other FFs the characters know why they are fighting, they have a goal.
In FFXIII
the enemy wants to trick us to destroy the word and we actually follow this knowingly but with no plan how to save the world after killing Orphan. Then suddenly the Oerbas save the day by using their cutscene-only power "Double-Ragnarok-Fusion"...
Also everything feels so pointless with no real motivation to fight on both sides, especially the fights against certain story characters like Cid, Orphan, Barthandelus/Lindzei, Yaag

but I still liked the game, it's a good quality title and a new take on FF.
Seriously though, FFXV (or vs) better have towns, real NPCs (you know, people with quests, side-storys, daily life and so on) and in general a world more like the past FFs. I really like FFXIII's world(s) and presentation but the execution is so poor and lifeless.

danootz

How possible is it to beat the game by relying almost entirely on attempting to max out most of the classes for a character?

I've only upgraded weapons so far and I haven't been strategic about which weapon would be best.

Basically want to see if I can rely on brute force. Or will I just be frustrated and get killed every time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
danootz said:
How possible is it to beat the game by relying almost entirely on attempting to max out most of the classes for a character?

I've only upgraded weapons so far and I haven't been strategic about which weapon would be best.

Basically want to see if I can rely on brute force. Or will I just be frustrated and get killed every time.
I left the upgrade system virtually untouched, but all much maxed out each of the three main classes for each character. However, I would have also been screwed without a Synergist, particularly one with Haste. A Saboteur is also pretty damn useful if you don't want your fights last for an eternity.

Light/Fang/Sazh was my party. I get the feeling having a better medic might have been beneficial, but I was unwilling to trade out Sazh (my Synergist) for Hope (also a Syn) because of how low Hope's HP, even when all but maxed in Chapter 13, is. A possible trade out of Lightning for Hope or Vanille might also have worked.

I'd also recommend teaching Fang a spell or two (shouldn't cost much CP) in the Rav class so that you get access to the Tri-Disaster class, which breaks enemies very quickly.

My advice is to max out the grid in Pulse and avoid as much conflict in Chapter 13 as possible. Some of the enemy encounters can be more brutal than the bosses themselves.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just wanted to say, I'm barely into this game compared to the rest of you, but i'm really loving it. It started off slow and I hated the plot at first due to incomprehensibility, but now that I understand what's going on, uh for the most part, it is really good.

Only 10 hours in, but so far thumbs up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DigitalDevil said:
I also beat the game tonight. I was really pleased with the way the game ended, although I have to say I am extremely disappointed with the crystarium expansion. I was expecting some new abilities, not just a huge HP boost!
yeah, it would have been nice for Lightning to eventually get access to Curaja and the like

I like that each character maintains some uniqueness, though. I almost wonder why they even bothered giving you access to the other three classes as early as Chapter 10.

Rez said:
yeah, it would have been nice for Lightning to eventually get access to Curaja and the like

I like that each character maintains some uniqueness, though. I almost wonder why they even bothered giving you access to the other three classes as early as Chapter 10.
It can be a big deal for people who want to complete a lot of missions/all of the missions in Chapter 11.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
badcrumble said:
It can be a big deal for people who want to complete a lot of missions/all of the missions in Chapter 11.
fair do

-COOLIO- said:
btw, the area just before the final boss is the coolest looking area in a videogame ever.

the white lobby

As much as I love those, they're kind of played out at this point. So many RPGs do the white lobby thing. That's how you know you're at the last boss.

Cloudy

Banned
Gran Pulse is kind of intimidating after being in smaller areas for the first 30+ hours of play (I did a lot of unnecessary grinding to beat the Chapter 9 boss) :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Beat mission 64 and it was pretty easy.

I suggest you max out your crystarium grids.

I went with Vanille/Fang/Snow, I equipped them with rubbish stuff (namely level 1 items but having defense at least, Vanille had the Malboro wand) paradigms that I used were:

SAB/SYN/SEN
SEN/SEN/SEN
MED/MED/MED

Poison him then if poisoned, switch to SEN/SEN/SEN. If he does the impenetrable aura, either heal or go ready up SAB/SYN/SEN. If he casts Wicked Whirl, automatically switch to SEN/SEN/SEN.

I beat it in 12 mins. Target time was 20 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom