• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metalmurphy said:
I wouldn't recommend lower. The image would be all fuzzy and blurred.

The HUD should still remain sharp. There's every chance some will prefer a lower rendering resolution + AA to a higher rendering resolution without it. Most console players tend to.

I wouldn't mind seeing some images to judge how good the upscaling is.

If anyone is unable to make it, or has to leave early, and has a NA account they don't mind sharing, I've got the client downloaded and updated, ready to go. I'll take lots of video if I can get on :D

...haha. Damn, I'm going crazy.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Of course people come over when the beta starts....this is like 3rd time someone comes over during FFXIV window or Im on a trip for a month :lol

Took some pics and videos of the beginning...maybe upload them later

Corran Horn said:
Of course people come over when the beta starts....this is like 3rd time someone comes over during FFXIV window or Im on a trip for a month :lol

Took some pics and videos of the beginning...maybe upload them later

Can I borrow your account? I'll take lots of pics and vids, I promise!

gillty

Banned
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

so many improvements but they removed the second second set of camera keys forcing me to use either ijkl or plug in my 360 pad.

to clarify in alpha:

movement: WASD or NumPAD

camera controls: IJKL or Arrow Keys

now only IJKL remains, very unnatural. worse off than XI.

Akira

My Late 2009 MBP is running this at like 10 FPS. :lol Any suggestions? I tried changing graphics settings, but it would only turn off shadows, physics, etc. No control over quality.

Teknoman

I cant do /emotes. Had to mess with the menu.

Akira said:
My Late 2009 MBP is running this at like 10 FPS. :lol Any suggestions? I tried changing graphics settings, but it would only turn off shadows, physics, etc. No control over quality.

Mess with the settings in start menu -> Square Enix -> FFXIV config.

Akira said:

Use the config outside of the game. It has more options like shadow detail and resolution.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Valru said:

so many improvements but they removed the second second set of camera keys forcing me to use either ijkl or plug in my 360 pad.

to clarify in alpha:

Are you not allowed to use the mouse for camera?

gillty

Banned
Trojita said:
Are you not allowed to use the mouse for camera?
like XI the mouse is absolutely useless, so instead of adding mouselook they removed the alternative camera keys that were in alpha :lol :lol :lol :lol

Akira

Teknoman said:
I cant do /emotes. Had to mess with the menu.

Mess with the settings in start menu -> Square Enix -> FFXIV config.

Thanks. Improved it to 15 FPS, and still unplayable. :(

Teknoman

Turn multisampling to 1, Shadows to lowest, and Buffer size to quarter, then see what happens. Also turn off both Ambient Occlusion and Depth of Field.

Still need to read up on the battle system stamina gauge. I sorta understand it, but not sure about the smaller gauge on the left side of stamina.

Akira

That was my last step, configured it to those exact settings and while the game ran faster (almost 30FPS?) it was blurrier than an N64 game. :lol

From the little that I was able to play, it seemed nice. I might get a true gaming PC now.

Teknoman said:
Turn multisampling to 1, Shadows to lowest, and Buffer size to quarter, then see what happens. Also turn off both Ambient Occlusion and Depth of Field.

Still need to read up on the battle system stamina gauge. I sorta understand it, but not sure about the smaller gauge on the left side of stamina.

That's just how much your currently selected attack costs in Stamina.

gillty

Banned
Other than the camera controls beta is so much better.

ffxivgame2010-07-1019-08ac.png

ffxivgame2010-07-1019-381w.png

ffxivgame2010-07-1019-4wgw.png

ffxivgame2010-07-1019-mj83.png

ffxivgame2010-07-1020-2m6w.png

zsswimmer

Goddamn, can't run this game without noticeable mouse lag even with 1024x768 at low settings. I mean I can play fucking Crysis Warhead on high with my laptop but not this.

My 6 Gigs of RAM and gtx260m are getting ass fucked.

Teknoman

Pai Pai Master said:
That's just how much your currently selected attack costs in Stamina.

Duh...should've known that. Oh and the name you suggested works perfectly :D

Also at times I think the game looks better without Ambient Occlusion. Maybe even depth of field...never tried it with that off though.

Doesnt it just make the distance blurry?

gillty

Banned
Teknoman said:
Duh...should've known that. Oh and the name you suggested works perfectly :D

Also at times I think the game looks better without Ambient Occlusion. Maybe even depth of field...never tried it with that off though.

Doesnt it just make the distance blurry?
AO is a system hog and yes the game may actually look better with it off.

I would keep Depth of Field on, gives the backgrounds a nice out of focus cinematography feel.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Good to see you got in, Tek.

Still never recieved an email invite on Beta. But that's alright. I've almost had a 100% media boycott on the game. So, it's gonna be FRESSSSSSSSSH come launch.

Still horrible lag and rubber banding, just no crashing every 5 minutes like before. Quite playable now. When I could get away from others, the combat seemed MUCH improved. Saturday night is bad for me, but hopefully I can try out more another night.

So I got Skewer and Ferocity, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to put them on my Bar. I have 0/9 Action Points and it says they require 3 each. How do get above 0?

Well, a friend ended up letting me borrow his account for the evening. I really wish I could leave feedback because the controls are making me want to rip my arms off. Why would you get rid of arrow key camera control? Can someone please ask them to put this back in a thousand times?

My other issue would be that my FPS jumps wildly all over the place on my i7 720QM, HD 5730, and 4GB ram. I initially set the buffer to half but the jaggies were unbearable. :lol So when playing in 1366x768 fullscreen with shadows, dust effects, DoF and AO all turned OFF, I can be running around in 30 FPS just fine and all over a sudden drop to 1-5 FPS for a few seconds. It was almost unbearable and really hope the computer I bought to play this game can do a bit better at release. Would server lag factor into that at all? I wouldn't think so.

Game is overall awesome and beautiful, and I hope these little things get ironed out.

DarkKyo

I only caught the last hour of the beta. I didn't even get to venture outside :(. How do you get outside? I got a battle guildleve or whatever, but I didn't get further than that.
fang.jpg

And that's my character. LOVE the customization, my god.

Freyjadour said:
So I got Skewer and Ferocity, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to put them on my Bar. I have 0/9 Action Points and it says they require 3 each. How do get above 0?

See the drop down bar above "Unequip" on the right side of the action menu? Click that and pull down which class the abilities you want belong to.

It's really unintuitive and a step backwards from alpha. Not sure why the changed it. My only complaint about Beta so far tbh.

desa

Runs so much better. I'm on old ass hardware. athlon x2 6000+ 3.18 with a 9800gt running at 1360 x 768 with 4x AA full screen and it's pretty smooth for the most part. Turned off ambient occlusion and depth of field. FPS was hovering from 20-30 but always steady. Dips below that in crowded areas and certain parts of the city.

I started off as a botanist and when I made enough gil, bought some knuckles and switched to Pugilist. To my surprise, logging as a botanist nets more xp and is faster than punching shit if you're good at it. None of that mindless stuff in FFXI. It's like red light green light to find the ideal area on the tree to chop up goodies.

Combat is much faster. I was punching pretty much non stop as a pugilist (hundred fists what). I like it. Might be some cool implements of a combo system linking different attacks.

There was some lag issue but I never disconnected once. I had one runtime error that crashed my game. Other than that it was a smooth experience. 24/7 servers stat!

desa

Dechaios said:
I only caught the last hour of the beta. I didn't even get to venture outside :(. How do you get outside? I got a battle guildleve or whatever, but I didn't get further than that.
fang.jpg

And that's my character. LOVE the customization, my god.

Yeah customization is awesome and we just have a portion of it!

There's a dude nearby to your right when you zone in. Talk to him and choose the second option. The name's Hob.

desa said:
Runs so much better. I'm on old ass hardware. athlon x2 6000+ 3.18 with a 9800gt running at 1360 x 768 with 4x AA full screen and it's pretty smooth for the most part. Turned off ambient occlusion and depth of field. FPS was hovering from 20-30 but always steady. Dips below that in crowded areas and certain parts of the city.

I started off as a botanist and when I made enough gil, bought some knuckles and switched to Pugilist. To my surprise, logging as a botanist nets more xp and is faster than punching shit if you're good at it. None of that mindless stuff in FFXI. It's like red light green light to find the ideal area on the tree to chop up goodies.

Combat is much faster. I was punching pretty much non stop as a pugilist (hundred fists what). I like it. Might be some cool implements of a combo system linking different attacks.

There was some lag issue but I never disconnected once. I had one runtime error that crashed my game. Other than that it was a smooth experience. 24/7 servers stat!
Where did you buy stuff? The only shops I could find were on the way to the black smith's/armorer's guild and they only had a couple of weapons/shields/armors. I have like 4k Gil and nothing to spend it on.

DarkKyo

desa said:
Yeah customization is awesome and we just have a portion of it!

There's a dude nearby to your right when you zone in. Talk to him and choose the second option. The name's Hob.
Oh yeah I did that. Got to the inn and accepted a couple guildleves... but after that didn't know how to go on the quests.

desa

Dechaios said:
Oh yeah I did that. Got to the inn and accepted a couple guildleves... but after that didn't know how to go on the quests.

Oh, you need to get to the camp that the quests are for. Access the crystal Aetheryte via menu. It'll bring up a menu and you can start your Guildleves quests.

JakOfTheShadows said:
Where did you buy stuff? The only shops I could find were on the way to the black smith's/armorer's guild and they only had a couple of weapons/shields/armors. I have like 4k Gil and nothing to spend it on.

The area where you get your guildleves quests, you take the flight of stairs down. Then head west from there. It's on the path where you exit the city. I'll upload some screen shots later.

buystuff.png

DarkKyo

desa said:
Oh, you need to get to the camp that the quests are for. Access the crystal Aetheryte via menu. It'll bring up a menu and you can start your Guildleves quests.
Ohhh, okay.. I was trying that with a crystal but I guess I was at the wrong one. Thanks!

Am I the only one who thinks it's fucking ridiculous that they added even MORE dodos in beta? They're fuckin' everywhere! :lol Pissin' me off! All I see is dodos!

How did you get the teeth quest? I was only able to get the very first adventure thing, and then killing rats, rams, and flies. After that I couldn't figure out how to get any more levequests.

Teknoman

So its not a boss track, its Guildleve battle music?

EDIT: Wait, in those youtube videos i've heard Beneath bloody borders and the other theme...lol cant figure out what triggers what battle theme.

gillty

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
How did you get the teeth quest? I was only able to get the very first adventure thing, and then killing rats, rams, and flies. After that I couldn't figure out how to get any more levequests.
You get guildleves at the glowing desk in the central tower in limsa

Pai Pai Master said:
See the drop down bar above "Unequip" on the right side of the action menu? Click that and pull down which class the abilities you want belong to.

It's really unintuitive and a step backwards from alpha. Not sure why the changed it. My only complaint about Beta so far tbh.

Yeah I tried messing with that and no dice. :lol I'll play with it again next time.

LowParry

So far, two biggest complaints that I've been reading over are the mouse and keyboard use. The mouse option just needs to go entirely or completely redo it. I agree. It's too rubberbandish and worthless to use.

Keyboard function is a little wonky at first but once you get the hang of it, it works great. Once they get in the option to allow you to custom key binds, I'll be a happy camper with using the Numpad as my choice of play. And for gods sake SE! Bring back the camera movement to the arrow keys! The IKJL option blows!

Edit: Another gripe is the transition from none active to active mode with fights. I did find it a bit strange. While you're running, target mob, enter active mode. You stop. Weapon out, then continue to run. Maybe if it were a little more smoother. Or maybe change it with in and out of combat status and just remove the mode entirely. Was XI the same way cause I don't remember much of the game. Been a very long time.

Edit 2: IF you have JA or US access to forums, please put in feedback about the 30FPS cap to have that shit changed. A poor PC standard.

Rflagg

desa said:
Screenshots
Are these using the setting you mentioned earlier or did you turn them up for photos? Good news it runs so well on that hardware. Game looks so freaking nice for a mmorpg, to be fair I did skip Conan and Aion.

Rew

Valru said:

to clarify in alpha:

This x1000

So unnatural, especially coming from FFXIs compact control setup. Hopefully this is addressed soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom