• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

notworksafe said:
Nice! So no need to edit vids anymore? How do you turn names off?

It's in the in game config where you can toggle it off. Sure it may list other people's name but you don't see any of them or NPC names.

Started with a Glad though I may switch that up to a Thuma or whatever it is. Get some castings down to show off later. Guess earlier ones I've seen are kinda weak.

Jinko

I will look into this MAJOR problem (to me) but having to toggle between active mode and none with a click is horseshit

Somebody didn't read the Alpha Manual :p, I think its F to go between active and passive mode.

LowParry

Jinko said:
Somebody didn't read the Alpha Manual :p, I think its F to go between active and passive mode.

If it is that easy then I'm heavily relieved. Though I want my custom key mapping.

Vesper73

CcrooK said:
Okay. First impressions of how I'm running this.

1920x1080 full screen
2 Sample
Window Sized
Shadow Detail High
Ambient Occlusion and Depth of Field: On

For shadows, Standard give your own character shadows. High, characters included other players and NPC's. Highest I didn't test but I'd imagin it'd give shadowed to everything.

So like I said before and has been mentioned before, character creation: 60fps. In game scenes and gameplay: 30fps. The 30fps stays pretty solid with my PC though I'd imagin in cities, you'll probably lose a few frames or so. Scenes also screen tear like a mofo.

Not sure how it ran in Alpha but it ran well for those 30fps. The mouse can die for all I care. It's worthless right now and still. So I'm back to playing oldschool with the numpad for movement and so forth. Sad that my Super Joybox Pro 5 didn't work. Don't have a 360 wired controller so will have to wait to see what Tek says on that. Game looks great. Sounds great. Combat is faster HOWEVER! I will look into this MAJOR problem (to me) but having to toggle between active mode and none with a click is horseshit. IF there is a way, do say otherwise that seriously needs to go into feedback.

I'll toss a few pics up to show ya what's up in a moment.

Edit: Couple pics. This is again with High setting with Shadows. I'll test Highest later on.

2ptqvl5.jpg

14ul634.jpg

Thanks Ccrook!! Can't wait to see this on Shadow Detail: Highest!

Hopefully we can get shadows on all surfaces. That was the last thing, (graphically), that I was hoping for!

Looks incredible!

Hey CcrooK, what are you using in the "Buffer Size" setting?

Those screens look like crap >.<

I'd post some proper screens but I can't get in >.<

2mzgwuv.png

Kuraine

Neo Member
Looking fantastic from all the beta shots so far. Can't wait until the US beta time rolls around! I'll be hopefully getting some rock'n lalafell pugilist impressions~

I think the best change from Alpha to Beta is, without doubt, the addition of a PIE stat.

(Yeah I know it's piety, but it's abbreviated as PIE :D)

Jinko

Ccrook what score did you get on 1080p for the benchmark just out of curiousity, would give us a better idea of how the benchmark actually scales.

LowParry

I had FRAPS taking them as bmp then I'd covert them over with photoshop to jpeg. I forgot I have the full version going for FRAPS. lol. Lemme change that. My 1080p score was around 3700. Got a Thu going so I'll see what I can get done here. I'll get to forced settings soon but probably not today. Just messing with what's currently now.

Edit: Did a quick check on Highest setting for shadows. No change so seems High works only. I believe there is mentioned of it error systems so probably not full scale shadows yet.

PC specs:

Phenom II BE 3.0 Quad
5850 Toxic ATI Sapphire
6 gig RAM
Win 7 64 bit

In a nutshell.

CcrooK said:
I had FRAPS taking them as bmp then I'd covert them over with photoshop to jpeg. I forgot I have the full version going for FRAPS. lol. Lemme change that. My 1080p score was around 3700. Got a Thu going so I'll see what I can get done here. I'll get to forced settings soon but probably not today. Just messing with what's currently now.

Edit: Did a quick check on Highest setting for shadows. No change so seems High works only. I believe there is mentioned of it error systems so probably not full scale shadows yet.

PC specs:

Phenom II BE 3.0 Quad
5850 Toxic ATI Sapphire
6 gig RAM
Win 7 64 bit

In a nutshell.

What do you have in the "Buffer Size" setting? Your screens are blurry as hell.

Since I can't get in the game atm here are some shots of the character creation:

LowParry

No no. lol. The screenshots I took at the time I did through FRAPS under BMP types. Then converted them to JPEG through Photoshop. I forgot that I had FRAPS full version so I can get a JPEG shot right off of it with no conversion. That's probably why it they look like foodoo. Tek's got the rest of the time so he'll post any shots he comes with and impressions I'm sure. Then the wait till Tuesday.

The Buffer is an option within the game's config. Nothing to do with the screenshots taken.

Edit: Tuesday I'll have a lot more screenshots with some progression as a Lala Thu. And get some movies. They run hella funny. :lol

CcrooK said:
No no. lol. The screenshots I took at the time I did through FRAPS under BMP types. Then converted them to JPEG through Photoshop. I forgot that I had FRAPS full version so I can get a JPEG shot right off of it with no conversion. That's probably why it they look like foodoo. Tek's got the rest of the time so he'll post any shots he comes with and impressions I'm sure. Then the wait till Tuesday.

The Buffer is an option within the game's config. Nothing to do with the screenshots taken.

Edit: Tuesday I'll have a lot more screenshots with some progression as a Lala Thu. And get some movies. They run hella funny. :lol

Pretty sure the buffer is the same thing as the In-game renderer in FFXI, meaning if you had it set to half, it would be rendering at half the resolution and then upscaling, giving a result similar to those shots. Looks closer to that then JPG compression.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Vesper73 said:
Anyone have any comments on the Pugilist?

Pugilists are pretty cool. Fighting is like a non-stop barrage of punches, really fast! I love the new combat system.

LowParry

Metalmurphy said:
Pretty sure the buffer is the same thing as the In-game renderer in FFXI, meaning if you had it set to half, it would be rendering at half the resolution and then upscaling, giving a result similar to those shots. Looks closer to that then JPG compression.

I had it set to Window. Maybe I'll play around with that next time with that option.

Teknoman

Settings: Multisampling: 1, Shadows: High, Resolution: 1440x900, Buffer: Window, Ambient Occlusion and Depth of Field: On.

Looks like Ambient Occlusion is a real performance killer at times. Not sure if I should have turned off depth of field, game got stuttery at times when entering new areas, but most of the time FPS was at 20-30. Default 360 config sucks so im going to have to change that around.

My PC: Athlon X2 6400, 4GB ram, Radeon 4870 1GB. Probably time for me to upgrade my processor+motherboard anyway. Only thing i've upgraded in awhile is my video card (went from 2900 to 4870 awhile ago).

Weather effects are awesome, battle system is really fast, and when people give you quests, they even mark an area close to where you need to go. Its not 100% hand holding, but its nice enough for you to find your own way. Oh and distance does matter in battle. Lancer has a decent range of attacking, letting you pierce the enemy multiple times before they come close.

Posting screens in a little.

I will say the battle system looks to be really fun, and will be a decent mix of XIII (speed) and XI/XII.

Nakazato

Teknoman said:
Looks like Ambient Occlusion is a real performance killer at times. Not sure if I should have turned off depth of field, game got stuttery at times when entering new areas, but most of the time FPS was at 20-30. Default 360 config sucks so im going to have to change that around.

My PC: Athlon X2 6400, 4GB ram, Radeon 4870 1GB. Probably time for me to upgrade my processor+motherboard anyway. Only thing i've upgraded in awhile is my video card (went from 2900 to 4870 awhile ago).

Weather effects are awesome, battle system is really fast, and when people give you quests, they even mark an area close to where you need to go. Its not 100% hand holding, but its nice enough for you to find your own way. Oh and distance does matter in battle. Lancer has a decent range of attacking, letting you pierce the enemy multiple times before they come close.

Posting screens in a little.
thanks for the insight my PC is comparable to yours :)

LowParry

Teknoman said:
I want to post videos too...probably should've turned my name off, unless theres a better/easier way.

Yeah, just stick with the names off. Just don't pop up the menu cause it displays your name.

Teknoman

Ccrook, did you experience any lag/quick framerate studders when walking into a new building/certain sections? Maybe it was just laggyness from playing on the EU server?

LowParry

Teknoman said:
Ccrook, did you experience any lag/quick framerate studders when walking into a new building/certain sections? Maybe it was just laggyness from playing on the EU server?

I didn't explore too much cause I was switching settings most the time and dealing with keyboard play. Talk about a learning curve. Did you try the 360 pad? I still can't believe the game is locked at 30fps. And latency was doing 50/60 on both the send/receiving.

Teknoman said:

I had the same problem and I'm from the EU. Also have the same card as you. I think it's just the engine that needs optimization.

Teknoman

360 pad works nice as far as moving,looking around, and fighting is concerned. The default button placement needs to be improved though. Accept is defaulted to B and Cancel to A...

Discovered lock-on mid way into a fight :lol. No force feedback though.

LowParry

Hopefully they put in the option to custom key binds. So so so needs it. I like the numpad play on keyboard. Just need things changed up a bit.

Teknoman

Yeah you can change the button config on the 360 gamepad through the XIV config menu (not in game).

Publishing a combat video now.

Munba

Teknoman said:

I had severe laggyness as well for all the evening.. i think it was the server (the connection icon was always in yellow status). BTW, battle was very fast but the harvesting was a very slow affair, too much things to click and wait.

What is the 'multisampling' thing (1 to 8) in the config?

Jinko

Some decent pics here showing the new menu's, stat allocation window and party window.

FWIW you can now add all your stats and then press apply, unlike in the Alpha were you had to add them individually.

Beta seems to be getting better and better :)... now all I need is an invite.:lol

Teknoman

I really like the way characters look in XIV. Going to keep this appearance in retail too :D

Also as you can see in the shots, quest logs are very detailed, and the npc's still use linkpearls to communicate with one another.

Screenshots:

1z73pe1.png

n1cl68.png

2wh2kw7.png

oiatmq.png

2wfi6fp.png

2cscrx1.png

1zya80i.png

5nuc0m.png

t9fy4h.png

34473vb.png

20fdyza.png

35ksxn6.png

Teknoman

Alright, have 3 fairly short videos of exploring near town, combat, and emotes. Whose up for some name editing?

Unless there is a free program I can use to do so.

quaere

How is the network code in FF XIV?

My internet connection is prone to a bit of packet loss here and there so MMOs which enforce the server position on the client have me rubber banding every minute or two which I can't stand (LOTRO and Aion).

WoW and Age of Conan do it differently - or at least have a bit more built in tolerance - as I never rubber band in those games.

I guess any experiences with XI would also be applicable and help me figure out if I should get XIV.

If you're getting tearing just use D3DOverrider.

Thanks for the shots.

Multisampling should refer to MSAA.

If you're having performance problems make sure buffer size is set to window (or lower) and disable ambient occlusion, that should give your framerate a good boost I'd imagine.

brain_stew said:
If you're getting tearing just use D3DOverrider.

Thanks for the shots.

Multisampling should refer to MSAA.

If you're having performance problems make sure buffer size is set to window (or lower) and disable ambient occlusion, that should give your framerate a good boost I'd imagine.

I wouldn't recommend lower. The image would be all fuzzy and blurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom