• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrno

Phase 3 will probably start before Gamescom, so people there in the floor can play it live with everyone elsealready in the beta.

Londa

Banned
I Hope my character gets recorded on someone's youtube video so I can be like "Hi Mom!!" :lol

I had a thought about cities in FFXIV. Wouldn't it be neat if there was a city in the sky? I think that would be a great idea because we are going to have Airships. However I think its too late to suggest something like that.

Corum

What's everyone doing in-game then?

I'm rank 12 Gladiator and rank 10 Marauder but the prospect of more grinding is not appealing. I may create a new character and try out Thaumatarge and Conjuror but I'll most likely just wait and see what phase 3 brings.

Salaadin

My sister gave me her login info so I can play it when shes not. Hopefully I can hop on tonight. FINALLY!!

I still want a beta all my own though.

Teknoman

Londa said:
I Hope my character gets recorded on someone's youtube video so I can be like "Hi Mom!!" :lol

I had a thought about cities in FFXIV. Wouldn't it be neat if there was a city in the sky? I think that would be a great idea because we are going to have Airships. However I think its too late to suggest something like that.

Well since the other set of bad guys, Garlean Empire, is supposed to be really high tech, we might have some dungeon area in the sky. And this time one that actually looks like it's in the sky.

DrDogg

Londa said:

They did that in FFXI so no reason they can't do it again. Although you didn't take an airship to "Sky" in FFXI, but still...

Salaadin

Sky wasnt very city like anyways.

Id love to see a city in the sky where you have to actually take an airship to get there and not a glorified elevator. Even better if it was a massive hub city like Jeuno where we can see all the airships coming and going.

Londa

Banned
DrDogg said:
They did that in FFXI so no reason they can't do it again. Although you didn't take an airship to "Sky" in FFXI, but still...

Sky was not a city. It was a dungen with HNMS.

A city is where you have shops, houses, npc's, mob free zone, etc. Like that one city that was in the sky in FFXII.

Londa

Banned
Teknoman said:
Well there are loads of airships in the sky at any given time (at least they look like airships) so who knows.

They look smaller than I would have expected and not as hightech. But I'm only going by its shape cause that is all you can really see in the sky atm. :lol

I hope the airships are really high tech and cool.

Salaadin

Everyone and their damn ":-O" avatars. I dont know who anyone is! :lol

Maybe the airships look small because theyre so high up. The city could be way up there!

An underwater city would be nice too. We had Sea in FFXI and then the Alazaasdajdlj Undersea Ruins but Id like something more lively than that.

Khrno

Londa said:

They have already done Tu'Lia and Lumoria, so I don't see any reason why they couldn't make a city this time, not just end-game areas, set in the sky, between the clouds or something.

I hope the airships are really high tech and cool.

Although the airships look small up in the sky, they do look like a normal ship (the ones in town), if you go towards the Blood- camp, you can somehow see their forms. They might be high tech in their engines and stuff, but they will just look as any other wooden ship :lol

carlo6529

It would be cool if the airships are in real time with the actual world.

I was thinking it would be fun and different if every once and while you could look up from the battle field and see a pirate airship or a monster attacking the airship in real time while the players on board attempt to defend it.

similar to how the boats got attacked by ghosts or something in ffxi, but in real time

Kandinsky

Corum said:
What's everyone doing in-game then?

I'm rank 12 Gladiator and rank 10 Marauder but the prospect of more grinding is not appealing. I may create a new character and try out Thaumatarge and Conjuror but I'll most likely just wait and see what phase 3 brings.
Yeah theres nothing left to do other then grinding, which as a mage I stopped at lvl18, not worth the effort when i can get to 15 in 1/10 the time on GLD or something, terrible shit. Only thing i do now is log on every 2 days and do leves for gil so i can try/get even more bored/frustrated with crafting.

Khrno

carlo6529 said:
It would be cool if the airships are in real time with the actual world.

I was thinking it would be fun and different if every once and while you could look up from the battle field and see a pirate airship or a monster attacking the airship in real time while the players on board attempt to defend it.

similar to how the boats got attacked by ghosts or something in ffxi, but in real time

I don't know what you mean by "real-time", airships and boats in FFXI were "real-time" as in you saw them departure and fly around from anywhere. You probably mean not-instanced, if so, that could be neat idea. Imagine Ultima Weapon randomly attacking airships, ala FFVI.

Kandinsky

Khrno said:
I don't know what you mean by "real-time", airships and boats in FFXI were "real-time" as in you saw them departure and fly around from anywhere. You probably mean not-instanced, if so, that could be neat idea. Imagine Ultima Weapon randomly attacking airships, ala FFVI.
He probably mean as in you being able to view from up there the world down in real time, seeing partys fighting mobs and stuff like that.

Londa

Banned
wow I just bought a ring and it shows on my character. You don't know how happy I am. I think i'm going to go buy a earring too.:lol

Kandinsky

I kinda like how now you actually *see* detrimental status on your character.
Slept..
20uvabq.jpg

Bound..
f23sdh.jpg

kinda funny.

carlo6529

Khrno said:

Kandinsky said:
He probably mean as in you being able to view from up there the world down in real time, seeing partys fighting mobs and stuff like that.

Yup, thats what I mean.

On another note, I got a question about the beta; is there a level cap right now?

Alex

I don't think that'd ever happen with the type of technology Square tends to use in their games, especially ones that need console releases. That is OK with me. The world streaming alone is enough. Personally the whole seamless gig is a bit lost on me nowadays.

Do we know if they're keeping a bunch of the guildleves locked or something or general content kept away from beta? Thinking about a return to 2003-era FFXI makes me have a pit in my stomach. I very much want to believe Square isn't that daft.

Kuro268

Neo Member
Level cap is 30/30

Do we know if they're keeping a bunch of the guildleves locked or something or general content kept away from beta?

I don't even know if you're serious with this question or just trolling.. Lemme put it this way. Do you REALLY think this is the entire game? If so you should stop playing now.

notworksafe

Alex said:
Do we know if they're keeping a bunch of the guildleves locked or something or general content kept away from beta? Thinking about a return to 2003-era FFXI makes me have a pit in my stomach. I very much want to believe Square isn't that daft.
I'm sure there's more in retail. How much more? Ehh...who knows?

notworksafe said:
I'm sure there's more in retail. How much more? Ehh...who knows?

Well you guys are really only playing one city's worth of content, right? I imagine there will be a nice little selection of zones, with different leves/quests/things2do in them.

Teknoman

Pinko Marx said:
Well you guys are really only playing one city's worth of content, right? I imagine there will be a nice little selection of zones, with different leves/quests/things2do in them.

Well a small segment of the city's content, since faction guildleves and alot of the other stuff are off limits right now.

I like how you get physical exp even when mining (and mining guildleve music is relaxing). Whats cool is that since parties seem to depend on class rank rather than physical rank, you'll have an even easier time leveling up extra jobs for abilities to mix with your main (favorite) class. Its also cool how anything you equip shows up, even belts.

What would be nice (but im sure wont happen) is that each main city has lower-mid level weapons/armor exclusive to that city, so characters actually look like they come from another region when they meet up.

Really hoping they introduce a better version of party search by beta phase 3, and maybe the battle regimen overhaul before that (maybe thats why they havent really explained it).

Kandinsky

From beta site.
Thank you for your continued participation in the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test.

Phase 2 of beta testing will come to a close at 17:00 (PDT) on Wednesday, August 4th, with phase 3 (Beta 3) scheduled to begin mid-August.

In Beta 3, we will be adding new classes, new features such as linkshells, and a host of other adjustments and changes based on the feedback we've received thus far. The following is just a selection of what's in store for the next phase of testing.

[System-related]
- Significant adjustments to mouse controls
- Changes to the item menu display and controls for equipping gear
- The implementation of the following features:

* Linkshells
* Text commands
* Auto-complete/auto-translation dictionary
* Player macros

[Event-related]
- Local levequests will once again be available
- A sound effect and on-screen message will accompany the completion of a quest
- Completed quests will be recorded in the quest journal

[Battle-related]
- Changes to animations, effects, and combat speed
- Passive /Active mode will be toggled automatically when speaking to an NPC or locking on to a monster
- Players will be able to select either a single target or an area effect when casting spells
- Adjustments to balance guildleve rewards versus monster strength
- Various adjustments to overall battle balance

Full details will be announced in the Version Update Details section of the Beta Test Site on the day Beta 3 commences. Related updates to the manual will also be posted on the Beta Test Site.

We look forward to your continuing feedback and support.

NOTE: All character data will be deleted at the end of Beta 2.
Testers can continue to provide feedback on the Beta.

@Tek i guess you just have to be high enough to get them.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Ok here we go!

Phase 2 of beta testing will come to a close at 17:00 (PDT) on Wednesday, August 4th, with phase 3 (Beta 3) scheduled to begin mid-August.

In Beta 3, we will be adding new classes, new features such as linkshells, and a host of other adjustments and changes based on the feedback we've received thus far. The following is just a selection of what's in store for the next phase of testing.

[System-related]
Linkshells
Text commands
Auto-complete/auto-translation dictionary
Player macros

[Event-related]

[Battle-related]
- Passive /Active mode will be toggled automatically when speaking to an NPC or locking on to a monster
- Players will be able to select either a single target or an area effect when casting spells

Full details will be announced in the Version Update Details section of the Beta Test Site on the day Beta 3 commences. Related updates to the manual will also be posted on the Beta Test Site.

@londa Hey little sister!!! :D

Bento

Have we received any information about what these new classes that will be added in the next beta phase might be?

Nice changes/additions overall :-9

Teknoman

Kandinsky said:
From beta site.

Possibility, really i've just been running around alot.

Also hell yeah, S-E really seems to be on the ball now.

Bento said:
Have we received any information about what these new classes that will be added in the next beta phase might be?

Probably just the other crafting/gathering classes. I'll probably give cooking and fishing a shot. Glad they are adjusting/changing animations too. Really didnt make any sense that every Gladiator TP attack had the same animation with a different special hit effect.

EDIT:

All character data will be deleted at the end of Beta 2.

Oh snap :lol I guess it was to be expected...but I hope the creation server doesnt die again.

Kandinsky

Bento said:

Probably Fisherman, Armourer, Goldsmith, Alchemist and Culinarian.

:p

Teknoman

Glad all those complaining mages got through :D

Hopefully this means more than just gil. Higher quality/ more items rewarded for 5 stars would be great.

I hope the item menu adjustments also means the way you use healing items/eat food. Potions are really cheap and effective in XIV, yet beta phase 2 made them hard to use in a fight.

LowParry

Any word on what the new classes are? I'm guessing more magic type classes ehhhhh? :D

Edit: Ehhh, asked, already, still asking! More mage types! Fix the goddamn MP regen!

Edit Edit:

Curious about these things:

[System-related]
- Auto-complete/auto-translation dictionary

[Battle-related]

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Are they being butthurt? I didn't get that End of Phase 2 email!

I haven't played FFXIV in a couple of weeks though. My new PC got shipped today, though .__.

Kandinsky

Pretty sure the new classes are just the ones that were not ready for the phase 2 and we knew about.
Gotta say im excited to try next phase :D

Londa

Banned
Gromph said:
Ok here we go!

@londa Hey little sister!!! :D

lol looks like I was right about Beta 3.:D

So does this mean you will be a Miqote?:lol

yay for LS!!! who is going to be the linkshell leader for Beta 3 Gaf?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Londa said:
lol looks like I was right about Beta 3.:D

So does this mean you will be a Miqote?:lol

yay for LS!!! who is going to be the linkshell leader for Beta 3 Gaf?

Maybe i will :p

About the LS leader, dont know... who is up?

I'm ofc.

Jinko

Bento said:

The missing ones I expect, Culnarian, Armourer and Goldsmith.

Londa

Banned
Kandinsky said:
From beta site.

[System-related]

* Linkshells
* Text commands
* Auto-complete/auto-translation dictionary
* Player macros

[Event-related]

[Battle-related]

Yay to everything that is bolded. I hope the full list of updates will include a moogle home/player run home, Companies, actual quest from npc's that aren't leve's, faster anima regeneration, and a new zone. However I have a feeling we wont have access to a a new zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom