• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Got my first Ravana EX clear last night. 9 more followed right after pretty much all one shots. Some fights, when you get them the first time it's pretty much set in stone for the rest.

Totally agree. I understand Nidhogg's vengeance but the people who wronged him have been dead for a thousand years. He's continuing a war and a cycle of hatred between the two races simply for his selfish reasons. Both Midgarsomr and Tiamat agree that the war needs to stop. The MSQ proves there are that Ishgard wants the conflict to end and peace to reign. Nidhogg simply does not care.
I'm not sure wanted betrayal, the murder of your sister, the stealing or her and your power is considered selfish reasons. I mean if you can't be pissed about those things happening to you what can you be pissed about? And remember to a extremely long lived dragon that stuff happened like yesterday even if was over a thousand years ago.

IvorB

I would have liked the confict of the Dragonsong war
was more of a grey area, with both having right and wrong in their side.
Right now (as of The Aery dungeon) it's just dragons being the good guys and "we" (Eorzean races) being the bad ones.
It's basically
Coil
all over again.

I skipped every single Coil cut scene I came across. I feel like it might be good to go back and watch them now that the story is actually really good.

I had the same feeling in regards to Nidhogg. Think about it from like Hraesvelgr's perspective, his sister was brutally murdered, her power stolen, your other brother maimed and his power stolen and him driven mad by people they once considered trusted friends. Man's story in this is that of greed whereas the dragon's story is that of grief, betrayal and desire for vengeance. Like I fully get why the dragons have done the things they have done because the people of this world have been screwing with them for thousands of years.

I felt like crap when Estinien killed Nidhogg it didn't feel right at all and I'm glad even Estinien wasn't truly satisfied.

Yeah it's horrible sh*t and so typically human unfortunately.

Ehh, not really. The dragons are attacking people who had nothing to do with the betrayal. It's one of the reasons Iceheart is so devastated after meeting Hraesvelgr.

Yeah that's true but those people are still holding onto the fruits of their crime and perpetuating a lie about what happened. Honestly he should have just wiped out the lot of them and be done with it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Assuming you went ahead and bought Heavensward the second you hit 50, what level were you upon finishing 2.5 stuff?
Yeah, like it's already been said I wound up being a bit over level 52 by the time I arrived in Heavensward content. If I was more diligent in participating in the Daily dungeons/guildhests I feel like I might have been halfway through 52.

Stuart444

I'm learning quickly that having it up 100% of the time is what is going to be separating a good Dragoon from a bad Dragoon. I still mess up my rotations and it falls off but I'm getting to the point where if I can not mess up for a minute, it's off cooldown again so I can put it back up without losing too much.

Hehe... do read again what I said. I didn't even mention BotD, I mentioned Battle Litany, the up crit rate skill that is on a 180s CD.

I just figured the crit rate skill could come in very handy during burst phases/dps checks.

Zomba13

I'm not sure wanted betrayal, the murder of your sister, the stealing or her and your power is considered selfish reasons. I mean if you can't be pissed about those things happening to you what can you be pissed about? And remember to a extremely long lived dragon that stuff happened like yesterday even if was over a thousand years ago.

Yeah and even though to a dragon it was as if yesterday, it was over a thousand years ago and everyone involved in wronging him is dead. He's selfish because he's lashing out at those descended from the sinners. The childrend should not be held accountable for the sins of their fathers and all that. Look at it from the Ishgardian's view, all they knnow is war with these dragons and even though they don't know the truth (due to the orthodoxy coverup) to them it's just the dragons attacking and brutally killing their friends and family for over a thousand years. Jimmy the Ishgardian starvling is living on the streets because the dragons killed his parents and he has no where to go but I suppose it's fine because his great (x20 or so) Grandfather may have had a part in starting a war?

iammeiam

Hehe... do read again what I said. I didn't even mention BotD, I mentioned Battle Litany, the up crit rate skill that is on a 180s CD.

I just figured the crit rate skill could come in very handy during burst phases/dps checks.

In a normal boss fight, Bards in particular will love you for popping this in the first 10-ish seconds of the opener. Nothing is sadder than a Litany going out just after you've refreshed DoTs and Internal Release has fallen off.

Saving CDs for burn phases isn't a bad idea, but in Bismarck EX there are two burn phases back-to-back and I think the snakes tend to give groups more trouble. Snakes also stay up much longer than the Carapace so more mileage can be gotten out of Litany (DoTs applied while Litany is up will tick to completion at the enhanced crit rate, even after Litany expires, for example.)

What I don't know offhand is if you can pop Litany early in the fight and have it come back up in time for the second half of snake phase. I don't think so, since my two-minute CDs tend to come up then if popped for Carapace, but haven't done the fight enough to be sure.

Valor

In a normal boss fight, Bards in particular will love you for popping this in the first 10-ish seconds of the opener. Nothing is sadder than a Litany going out just after you've refreshed DoTs and Internal Release has fallen off.

Saving CDs for burn phases isn't a bad idea, but in Bismarck EX there are two burn phases back-to-back and I think the snakes tend to give groups more trouble. Snakes also stay up much longer than the Carapace so more mileage can be gotten out of Litany (DoTs applied while Litany is up will tick to completion at the enhanced crit rate, even after Litany expires, for example.)

What I don't know offhand is if you can pop Litany early in the fight and have it come back up in time for the second half of snake phase. I don't think so, since my two-minute CDs tend to come up then if popped for Carapace, but haven't done the fight enough to be sure.
Considering it's a 180 second cooldown and typically people see three debuffs total, you're spending about two minutes and change in the snake phase, so popping it for the Chitin wouldn't give you it back until add phase post snakes. Saving it for snakes might give it to you back for the first crack at the Corona, which is a pretty useful time to be popping it, I think. So yeah. It depends on how good the dps is, because the extra crit rate does come in handy but you're probably squandering a decent bit of Litany sitting around waiting for snakes to spawn in.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah and even though to a dragon it was as if yesterday, it was over a thousand years ago and everyone involved in wronging him is dead. He's selfish because he's lashing out at those descended from the sinners. The childrend should not be held accountable for the sins of their fathers and all that. Look at it from the Ishgardian's view, all they knnow is war with these dragons and even though they don't know the truth (due to the orthodoxy coverup) to them it's just the dragons attacking and brutally killing their friends and family for over a thousand years. Jimmy the Ishgardian starvling is living on the streets because the dragons killed his parents and he has no where to go but I suppose it's fine because his great (x20 or so) Grandfather may have had a part in starting a war?

Just like real life and any piece of fiction, it's the churches' fault.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Got my first Ravana EX clear last night. 9 more followed right after pretty much all one shots. Some fights, when you get them the first time it's pretty much set in stone for the rest.

Ravana Extreme is a lot like Titan - once you learn the dance you're good.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Just like real life and any piece of fiction, it's the churches' fault.
I'm kinda of disappointed that plot point was SO predictable.

When I heard Ishgard's lore while Questing in 2.0 "Yeah.....our religion tells us this land belongs to us so you natives (Dragons) can fuck off" and that clearly gave them away so I remember telling myself that sounds a lot like an "Nyuuk Nyuuk Nyuuk *cough* Evil Church Plot Nyuuk Nyuuk Nyuuk"

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm already level 54 and haven't even finished the 2.XX content yet to enter the expansion. Kind of annoyed that I will be over-leveled for when I finally do. I just reached the Steps of Faith, so I must be close now I guess.

Sorian

Banned
I'm kinda of disappointed that plot point was SO predictable.

When I heard Ishgard's lore while Questing in 2.0 "Yeah.....our religion tells us this land belongs to us so you natives (Dragons) can fuck off" and that clearly gave them away so I remember telling myself that sounds a lot like an "Nyuuk Nyuuk Nyuuk *cough* Evil Church Plot Nyuuk Nyuuk Nyuuk"

At least, much like Gaius, Super Pope was trying to do the same type of things we wanted to do but again, going about it in a way where the ends don't justify the means. To bad we couldn't keep that sweet sword that slices and dices ascians.

I'm already level 54 and haven't even finished the 2.XX content yet to enter the expansion. Kind of annoyed that I will be over-leveled for when I finally do. I just reached the Steps of Faith, so I must be close now I guess.

Well you'll be "missing out" on a ton of shitty sidequests, so, not really a big deal. Plus you can use them to level other chars later if you want.

Wilsongt

Finished the story last night. That final boss was insane in a good way!
Base 3.0 story was leaps and bounds better than base 2.0 story.

Also, Ahk Morning mobs will NEVER get old.

Time to level bard to 60z

Arkeband

Banned

Oh whoops, my bad.

Yes, battle litany is amazing to save for core phases. Everything else should die without it with proper DPS. There might be one add still up during core phase but you have enough time to finish it off after you hop off Bismarck.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Bismarck Ex down, took 3-4 tries with some PF group. Since they had macros, people weren't doing stupid things, so it went rather smoothly.

I wasn't planning on spending my Seals on the 170->180 weapon upgrade and wanted to get one from Ravana Ex, but since most PF groups want DPSes to have 180 weapons, I had to do it. I still feel bad about it, so many seals down the drain.

Either we're all way better at this game than last spring, or the "difficulty" of Ravana EX was blown way out of proportion. It was no Titan EX. Certainly more challenging than any of the others though.

Wilsongt

Either we're all way better at this game than last spring, or the "difficulty" of Ravana EX was blown way out of proportion. It was no Titan EX. Certainly more challenging than any of the others though.

Probably better at becoming spatially aware during fights and knowing what to expect. There are still hard dps checks. You had to learn how to maximize during coil, so you're probably better at it now than a year ago.

scy

It's a lot like Titan EX in terms of how the fight operates: Purely scripted. I don't think anyone said it was anything like Titan EX release difficulty.

Sorian

Banned
Bismarck Ex down, took 3-4 tries with some PF group. Since they had macros, people weren't doing stupid things, so it went rather smoothly.

I wasn't planning on spending my Seals on the 170->180 weapon upgrade and wanted to get one from Ravana Ex, but since most PF groups want DPSes to have 180 weapons, I had to do it. I still feel bad about it, so many seals down the drain.

It's a good investment. Unless you are in a group with people who already have ilvl 190 weapons, the dps check can be pretty tight.

If I remember correctly, King Gilga and myself told everyone the fight was pretty standard faire and not really that hard but no one believed us.

I've only been playing for a few days but I'm ready to devote myself to this MMO. I regret not buying the expansion when I had the chance.

At least, much like Gaius, Super Pope was trying to do the same type of things we wanted to do but again, going about it in a way where the ends don't justify the means. To bad we couldn't keep that sweet sword that slices and dices ascians.

Lahabrea might still be alive. Since they just left the sword there I think. Estininien took the eye out of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow bring Lahabrea back.

iammeiam

Ravana suffered a lot from how easy it is to gear up in like no time at all. The DPS check isn't even that big of a deal--the only time I remember seeing enrage is because we all kept dying. Even the adds aren't so much an output of tons of DPS thing as a coordination of hitting things in the proper order. I think with mostly i170 weapons and a mix of dungeon gear and a few non-upgraded Law pieces it would have been tougher, but most of us rolling in with party average iLevel over 170 and 180 weapons as the common thing took a huge amount of the difficulty out of it.

He also really needed a landslide equivalent, or had Revengeance knock you back a lot further. What is the point of a falling off fight if people aren't constantly falling off.

Sorian

Banned
Lahabrea might still be alive. Since they just left the sword there I think. Estininien took the eye out of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow bring Lahabrea back.

If anything, Lahabrea might be a driving force inside of Nidhogg's mind now. His aether was absorbed and assimilated by the eye so I don't see him being a single entity anymore.

For the first time last night I ended up actually needing to use Mage's Ballad. It just hasn't come up before but a mage called for it and was wondering why I wasn't using it. I will keep closer attention next time.

scy

Ravana suffered a lot from how easy it is to gear up in like no time at all. The DPS check isn't even that big of a deal.

Yeah, it's basically a fight of "how well did you learn new skills?" and not an actual tight check. Or, well, overgear instead since it's so easy to do it.

Which sort of makes it all the weirder that it's right after Bismarck's kind of underwhelming weapons. Could've at least put accessories on him instead (or as well?)

Sorian

Banned
For the first time last night I ended up actually needing to use Mage's Ballad. It just hasn't come up before but a mage called for it and was wondering why I wasn't using it. I will keep closer attention next time.

If it wasn't a white mage, then you should have ignored them (maybe astro too, I don't know how their MP works), if a scholar asks then I guess it's ok but they should play better.

If it wasn't a white mage, then you should have ignored them (maybe astro too, I don't know how their MP works), if a scholar asks then I guess it's ok but they should play better.

I think it was a white mage and I would have obliged the first time around but I died seconds later.

I will keep that in mind though.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, it's basically a fight of "how well did you learn new skills?" and not an actual tight check. Or, well, overgear instead since it's so easy to do it.

Which sort of makes it all the weirder that it's right after Bismarck's kind of underwhelming weapons. Could've at least put accessories on him instead (or as well?)

I don't understand why they keep making this same error. Either stop making rings unique items or every level of content should have a primal dropping rings in addition to weapons.

I think it was a white mage and I would have obliged the first time around but I died seconds later.

I will keep that in mind though.

Basically, SMN shouldn't be asking you for MP and if a BLM is asking then you should just laugh at them and continue shooting things.

Wilsongt

I don't understand why they keep making this same error. Either stop making rings unique items or every level of content should have a primal dropping rings in addition to weapons.

Basically, SMN shouldn't be asking you for MP and if a BLM is asking then you should just laugh at them and continue shooting things.

If a SMN is asking for MP they are spamming Ruin III while not in Trance and you should laugh.

Dunan

They expect you to read tool tips not make assumptions.

Then it would help if they didn't shove the tooltips in your face in the middle of battles, blocking the action while an enemy is attacking you. :)

(I learned THM during the beta; the tooltips are probably much improved by now.)

Question for those of you who have flying chocobos: which is the easiest area to find all the aether currents so that you can fly? I have all 30 quest slots filled and need to finish some of them, and I'd like to knock out the ones where you can fly around and get them done easier. I have roughly 6 of 10 of the findable currents in several areas so I could go to any of them.

iammeiam

I guess they could always add them in a future patch, similar to Shiva's Diamond Dust upgrades. I'd say just add weapon upgrade items, but unless they do this for both Bismarck and Ravana and have Bismarck's stuff upgrade to something insane like i195 there'd still be no reason to ever go back to Bismarck after the initial clear.

Bismarck is Ramuh, useless but necessary, Ravana is the more-useful but likely very short lived Shiva at this point. It's just weird to get both in one patch.

Sorian

Banned
Then it would help if they didn't shove the tooltips in your face in the middle of battles, blocking the action while an enemy is attacking you. :)

? You shouldn't be reading tool tips mid fight. When you learn new skills you should be opening your menu right then and reading them. During an actual fight, you should just know what everything does.

I guess they could always add them in a future patch, similar to Shiva's Diamond Dust upgrades. I'd say just add weapon upgrade items, but unless they do this for both Bismarck and Ravana and have Bismarck's stuff upgrade to something insane like i195 there'd still be no reason to ever go back to Bismarck after the initial clear.

Bismarck is Ramuh, useless but necessary, Ravana is the more-useful but likely very short lived Shiva at this point. It's just weird to get both in one patch.

The new relic will force you to fight Bismarck and Ravana, problem solved.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

This confuses me greatly.

ASTs have a MP refreshing skill just like White Mages, but its weaker an
d AST are still more likely to run into mana issues due their heals being weaker compared to a WHM. Sure they could the Ewer card and reduce their mana usage but at that point you're praying the the RNG gods.

And this coming from the person who rarely ever had mana issues when playing WHM/SCH.

Edit: Huh actually I just noticed that the AST's mp refreshing skill is the same as the white mage's except on a lower cooldown. Ahh well, that aside AST still have mana issues compared to white mages.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
ASTs have a MP refreshing skill just like White Mages, but its weaker and AST are still more likely to run into mana issues due their heals being weaker compared to a WHM. Sure they could the Ewer card and reduce their mana usage but at that point you're praying the the RNG gods.

And this coming from the person who rarely ever had mana issues when playing WHM/SCH.

It's exactly the same, the only difference is in how it handles enmity reduction effect.

It's exactly the same, the only difference is in how it handles enmity reduction effect.
Yea edited post.

And how is the enmity different? It seems to me Saints is better than Luminiferous Aether. At least it seems like monsters stopped beating the crap out of me faster when I use Saints compared to Aether.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yea edited post.

And how is the enmity different? It seems to me Saints is better than Luminiferous Aether. At least it seems like monsters stopped beating the crap out of me faster when I use Saints compared to Aether.

Shroud halves current enmity, LA decreases enmity gained while it's up. It's dumb.

Top Bottom