• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Dunan

It's a stun, so if the tank is standing in the stupid, (90% of tanks are too stupid to move or stun in low DF) you push the fucking thing away. Unless it's some sort of long ranged mob, then stop pushing it MCH.

Is it realistic to shove monsters into AoEs with it?

I've only briefly experimented with the machinist, and I got a lot of mileage out of pushing enemies away from me using it. I wish you could push them off cliffs too.

Is it realistic to shove monsters into AoEs with it?

I've only briefly experimented with the machinist, and I got a lot of mileage out of pushing enemies away from me using it. I wish you could push them off cliffs too.

Yes, especially casters and things like the monkeys in Brayflox. As long as you position yourself of course. It doesn't work on bosses, so it's an off GCD for a tiny bit of damage as well, at least I think it's off GCD? I haven't played the job in about a week.

Wilsongt

Man, I think BLM AF2 is ugly. Maybe I'll reconsider once I get it myself, don't think I've actually seen it since they showed that live letter a few months back.

PLD - "it's still pretty boring"

SMN - "we BLM bahamut now"

BRD - "we BLM now"

BLM - "fire IV fire IV fire IV convert fire IV fire IV fire IV"

SMN is more along the lines of "Pull before I lose my sta -- never mind. They're gone."

iammeiam

It's a stun, so if the tank is standing in the stupid, (90% of tanks are too stupid to move or stun in low DF) you push the fucking thing away. Unless it's some sort of long ranged mob, then stop pushing it MCH.

Blank is not a stun. It's a knockback and interrupt, but is not a stun and does not activate stun DR (why the distinction is important.) Suppressive Fire is the stun, and shares a CD with Head Graze (the silence).

Blank is not a stun. It's a knockback and interrupt, but is not a stun and does not activate stun DR (why the distinction is important.) Suppressive Fire is the stun, and shares a CD with Head Graze (the silence).

Right, sorry, it's fluid aura but worse, and on a lower cool down.

scy

Fluid Aura also does not stun, unless you're referring to the Bind on it.

Incidentally, actually makes Blank better than random Fluid Aura knockback since the mob just immediately comes back instead of sitting there for 15s. Blank-ing random things is fine unless it's the thing everyone is actively killing. Then it's just kind of obnoxious.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I was going to do the:

Press Start > Character > Switch Gear Set to a non-shitty job

...angle, but that works too :) j/k btw, I know nothing about MCH except that it's the new DRG.

WlecVPf.gif

iammeiam

Fluid Aura also does not stun, unless you're referring to the Bind on it.

Incidentally, actually makes Blank better than random Fluid Aura knockback since the mob just immediately comes back instead of sitting there for 15s. Blank-ing random things is fine unless it's the thing everyone is actively killing. Then it's just kind of obnoxious.

I will say the knockback can be annoying in AOE situations, too. I tend not to use it on trash just because anything I actually can knock back probably doesn't really need the extra 100 potency, and if I knock it out of turret range and miss an AOE pulse the gain drops to only 40 potency over just leaving it alone.

Nohar

Regarding the final boss theme:
do we have the lyrics and their translation (assuming they mean something)?

Aside from that, had a... weird run during expert roulette, with one White Mage who never used Medica or Medica II, even when bosses were using AoE (and who loved to use Cure II instead, on everyone, even when our HP wasn't that depleted).

WolvenOne

One option I wish they had included in this expansion, is the option to sync your Strength and Vit etc, down to something reasonable for lvl50 content, while keeping access to all your level 60 abilities. I mean, I know you can seven man a lot of content, but all that extra DPS can make some fights feel, "weird."

Basically, it'd just be nice to have some fights I'm familiar with, where I could practice using the new abilities. For starters, I'd like to get using three fell-cleaves per Berserk down to actual muscle memory.

iammeiam

One option I wish they had included in this expansion, is the option to sync your Strength and Vit etc, down to something reasonable for lvl50 content, while keeping access to all your level 60 abilities. I mean, I know you can seven man a lot of content, but all that extra DPS can make some fights feel, "weird."

Basically, it'd just be nice to have some fights I'm familiar with, where I could practice using the new abilities. For starters, I'd like to get using three fell-cleaves per Berserk down to actual muscle memory.

Have you tried just putting on worse gear? I know they added minimum iLevel sync as an option to DF but I don't know if it also forces level sync, but you should be pretty capable of determining how strong you want to be by swapping out gear pretty easily. Might require some creativity to get Skillspeed where you want it to keep GCDs the same, though.

Alternately undersized parties could be an option.

Zomba13

But if you're me and you're tanking, because you're a tank, and you know how to dodge AoEs because you're not stupid, and you have a melee dps you're knocking away the target messing up the melee DPS and me, making me chase the thing down, move positions and all that AND I have my own stun that I'll use when needed.

It's super annoying.

Which it's not really/sorta/ish. As for that fight, no idea.
It absolutely is the final boss of HW. Just like Ultima (well, LOLahbrea but, you know) is the last boss of 2.0.

Jayhawk

The mechanics of Ravana extreme are awesome for Monks to learn how to effectively use all their new Heavensward tools. All the situations where you can and should be using Form Shift, Meditation, and Tornado Kick to up that DPS. Plus, there are the forced positional timings for a few GCDs from Seeing barriers. YoshiP has us Monks preparing for whatever crap Mr. D throws at us later this month.

Angary, are you able to provide 3.0 shoe-explosion services? :>

WolvenOne

Have you tried just putting on worse gear? I know they added minimum iLevel sync as an option to DF but I don't know if it also forces level sync, but you should be pretty capable of determining how strong you want to be by swapping out gear pretty easily. Might require some creativity to get Skillspeed where you want it to keep GCDs the same, though.

Alternately undersized parties could be an option.

Keeping Skillspeed/Spellspeed about the same would be really difficult though. Not impossible, but tough. Unfortunately this would be necessary too,since the feel of your rotations (and how many of X you can fit in under Y status,) changes based on how much S-Speed you have access too.

Although, even in pre-3.0 gear I might be able to do it by popping Vengeance and Raw Inuition, (Not to mention using Berserk while at 4 Stacks,) but it'd be tight, and would feel different enough that I'm not certain how valuable it'd be at actual-level 60.

AgeEighty

But if you're me and you're tanking, because you're a tank, and you know how to dodge AoEs because you're not stupid, and you have a melee dps you're knocking away the target messing up the melee DPS and me, making me chase the thing down, move positions and all that AND I have my own stun that I'll use when needed.

It's super annoying.

Yeah, I don't use Blank in parties unless it's an un-knock-backable mob.

Which it's not really/sorta/ish. As for that fight, no idea.

In what universe is Ravana EX the "main story end boss"? He's not main story, you get no story conclusion and credit roll afterward, &c.

fedexpeon

Banned
Had a MRD that couldn't hold enmity and had a DPS teach him about Defiance. jeeeezzzus

I don't need Shield Oath to tank..
I am usually in Sword Oath for speed run 90% of the time all the way to 60.
That MRD must be bad because overpowered has enough threat to not give a fuck about Defiance...but that was 2.5 patch ago.
I will need to see if that still holds true, and I am pretty sure it does with the built in enmity from your other skills.

Jayhawk

Keeping Skillspeed/Spellspeed about the same would be really difficult though. Not impossible, but tough. Unfortunately this would be necessary too,since the feel of your rotations (and how many of X you can fit in under Y status,) changes based on how much S-Speed you have access too.

Although, even in pre-3.0 gear I might be able to do it by popping Vengeance and Raw Inuition, (Not to mention using Berserk while at 4 Stacks,) but it'd be tight, and would feel different enough that I'm not certain how valuable it'd be at actual-level 60.

Practice on a striking dummy.

You also don't have as much skill speed as you think you may have.

As I have mentioned before in this thread, skill/spell speed stat weights have changed and made most things feel slower. You should stop thinking like it's 2.55 and more like 2.0 when figuring out rotations relative to your attack speeds.

At ARR and level 50, it would require 10-11 skill speed to reduce GCD timers by 0.01s. Now, you require 26-27 skill speed to reduce GCD timers by 0.01s.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...BbEJtsLniPCmU4LJELO9_TGJI/edit#gid=1020214198

Other stat weight changes include critical damage not being at 1.5x at base stats and DoT damage not being at 1x per tick at base stats.

Sorian

Banned

As I have mentioned before in this thread, skill/spell speed stat weights have changed and made most things feel slower. You should stop thinking like it's 2.55 and more like 2.0 when figuring out rotations relative to your attack speeds.

At ARR and level 50, it would require 10-11 skill speed to reduce GCD timers by 0.01s. Now, you require 26-27 skill speed to reduce GCD timers by 0.01s.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...BbEJtsLniPCmU4LJELO9_TGJI/edit#gid=1020214198

Other stat weight changes include critical damage not being at 1.5x at base stats and DoT damage not being at 1x per tick at base stats.

Did they do any stat squish on main stats?

WolvenOne

I'm aware of the stat weights, I'm also aware that the skill speed I have right now more than compensates for the slight reduction in weight.

Also: A Striking Dummy is only useful to learning a general rotation, not so much for sticking to that rotation while under the pressure of being in a real fight. Better than nothing though, I suppose.

Sorian

Banned
I'm aware of the stat weights, I'm also aware that the skill speed I have right now more than compensates for the slight reduction in weight.

Uh, that's not a slight reduction and your gear is not compensating for that at all. You are no where near 2.55 levels of speed.

Aselith

Holy shit! They did it again! After grinding to 56... a couple of Story quest and then... a huge grind to 57 again...

Glee_kurt-cry.gif

I'd rather that than the huge series of fetch quests they sent you on in ARR to make sure you were high enough for the next dungeon when they gave it to you.

WolvenOne

Uh, that's not a slight reduction and your gear is not compensating for that at all. You are no where near 2.55 levels of speed.

I can fit more attacks in during Berserk now than I could in 2.55, so I'm pretty darn certain I'm faster right now.

That or the 20ms improvement in my latency I've seen in the past few weeks is affecting things more than I realize. (I kinda doubt it.)

Ferr986

I'd rather that than the huge series of fetch quests they sent you on in ARR to make sure you were high enough for the next dungeon when they gave it to you.

but I'm forced to do mog fetch quests to level up anyways.... that or run the same old dungeons of 2.0 on the roulette.

ViciousDS

Banned

Yes, dungeon queues probably would have been better if you had to run dungeons for xp instead of being handed levels by just the insane amount of quests.....which doesn't bother me at all. I love running dungeons.

Sorian

Banned
I can fit more attacks in during Berserk now than I could in 2.55, so I'm pretty darn certain I'm faster right now.

That or the 20ms improvement in my latency I've seen in the past few weeks is affecting things more than I realize. (I kinda doubt it.)

Looks to me like from the math, you'd need about 2.5 times more skill speed than you had at the end of 2.55 to even be at the same speed overall, you don't have that. Now, removing gut feeling from the equation because that doesn't matter, the only other thing is if you got some trait/skill between level 51 and 60 that made berserk last longer or something, idk anything about WAR so I can't comment there.

I haven't read any number crunching about main stat changes relative to weapon damage. Did the amount of HP per VIT increase and MP per PIE increase change with 3.0?

No clue, I haven't followed stat changes at all. I mean, I certainly feel like I'm drowning in MP now but I don't actually know if there were any changes to PIE.

Aselith

but I'm forced to do mog fetch quests to level up anyways.... that or run the same old dungeons of 2.0 on the roulette.

I've been running the highest level Heavensward dungeons available to me at any given time and it typically gives me more xp than roulettes because the old world monsters don't give me xp anymore a lot of times. Plus you get the new dungeon gear drops. I haven't done basically any of world quests except the main quest line and the Aethercurrent quests and I am 58 with some fairly casual dungeon running.

scy

You have 500 Skill Speed? That's the new number.

Edit: Just checked your Lodestone since that's faster, >600. So yeah, more than before even at new weights.

Hasney

Really? In that case I might consider migrating back to Ultros. I guess the biggest issue was me playing on PS3 before and PC now.

Possibly yeah, PS3 is playable but can sometimes be a bitch.

Can't remember if it was confirmed or.rumour, but the EU data centres were reported to be moving to Europe.

Sorian

Banned
You have 500 Skill Speed? That's the new number.

Edit: Just checked your Lodestone since that's faster, >600. So yeah, more than before even at new weights.

Foiled again by Scy.

Possibly yeah, PS3 is playable but can sometimes be a bitch.

Can't remember if it was confirmed or.rumour, but the EU data centres were reported to be moving to Europe.

I believe the last note on this was "buy some stuff from the cash shop and we might think about it."

Zhao_Yun

I believe the last note on this was "buy some stuff from the cash shop and we might think about it."

Latest update from the Heavensward event in Nantes was that they are currently in the midst of acquiring the server equipment and that they hope to launch them at the end of this year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/37bjoj/dont_be_afraid_european_players_they_work_on_eu/

WolvenOne

Y'all just can't take my word on things from time to time, can you. XD

PS: Warrior feels buttery smooth at 600+ Skill Speed, hopefully I can maintain that stat as things go on.

It's super annoying.

Well of course it's annoying, that's why it should be used on a case by case basis.

Sorian

Banned
I cannot STAND WHMs/MCHs who knock mobs away mid-fight when I'm tanking, and especially when I'm melee DPS. That shit is infuriating

If the tank I was healing was shit (usually when they were oddly under geared, like level 40 wearing level 20 junk), I would fluid aura everything on CD. I'm sure there were some DPS casualties.

So I finally beat HW and I've got to say the story is VASTLY improved over 2.0's. I'm not sure the best way to put it but I felt more a part of the story as a character. Along with that all the people in the story all actually felt important to what was going on in the story rather than a long line of throwaway people who would never matter again except for a few short quests in a area.

As for the final boss and everything around that.

King Thordan and the Knights of the Round was fucking LOVELY. That fight was everything I wanted it to be and more and the end where he just goes into a sword swinging rage was amazing.

The only thing that confused me was after you defeat him. I wonder what they are trying to imply by having your character bathed in darkness like that? Also I'm actually glad Nidhogg was effectively revived his time in the game felt way too short lived. Ending stuff has also changed my opinion of Midgardsormr. At first I always figured him as someone who had evil intentions all along. But I've been proven totally wrong. He has shown to be extremely thoughtful and kindly to his children and truly only wishes them the best and for them to let go of all the things that happened to them in the past and that he truly wishes for their to be peace between dragons and humans.

Oh Warrior of Darkness is generic Warrior/Dragoon dude? Weird.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Is Jenova mostly PS4 users? I've tried to get into Balmung a few times but to no avail.

LowParry

Hum, I wrote Final boss (of the main story of Heavensward), ie.
King Thordan

Oh whoops. I meant to edit my original response with Rav EX being sorta/ish a final boss but yeah, final boss of the story. I'm not sure if there are lyrics. I think there are other end game bosses with the same type of choir but not able to find any lyrics attached to them. Not a lot of info out there other than videos showing the entire final scene.

dramatis

I cannot STAND WHMs/MCHs who knock mobs away mid-fight when I'm tanking, and especially when I'm melee DPS. That shit is infuriating
Problem is sometimes something looks big enough that we think it probably won't move if we use the pushback action. In the end it's additional dps maneuver, so it's still good for that.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Did Ultros blow up or was that just me? Talked to the Innkeep, got stuck sitting there, and now I've been gettin 90ks every since.

Top Bottom