• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Shroud halves current enmity, LA decreases enmity gained while it's up. It's dumb.
Holy crap that is stupid. I didn't look too closely and assumed they did exactly the same thing. Halving aggro is much preferred over simply not getting more. Not getting more aggro isn't making the monsters find you less tasty.

Sorian

Banned
Holy crap that is stupid. I didn't look too closely and assumed they did exactly the same thing. Halving aggro is much preferred over simply not getting more. Not getting more aggro isn't making the monsters find you less tasty.

What tanks are you running with where this is an issue?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
For the first time last night I ended up actually needing to use Mage's Ballad. It just hasn't come up before but a mage called for it and was wondering why I wasn't using it. I will keep closer attention next time.

Oh....so your one THOSE Bards who refuse to use or hardly ever use songs.

How long have you played this game and what content have you done? Because speaking as someone who mains the Bard I have used Mage's Ballad plenty of times in these past 2 years.

I've only been playing for a few days but I'm ready to devote myself to this MMO. I regret not buying the expansion when I had the chance.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game so far and we will see if you stick around for the long run.

LowParry

err...my mp is directly linked to how stupid my tank and dps are..
So, no to your generalization..

This is fact. There are fights where if your dps is lacking or people are not standing where they need to be and bam, paralyze all over the damn place, my MP is suffering. And that's just it. I think I've had cases where, as a AST, my MP has hurt more in those lvl 60 dungeons. Bis EX no problems. Rav EX there's so much down time between damage I don't see MP being any sort of problem.

Sorian

Banned
Is there a guide out there on how to properly play Machinist?

"Soul of the Machinist" -> right-click -> discard

"Soul of the Paladin -> right-click -> equip

I used PLD because that's what I think you are, I'm probably wrong.

Tabris

"Soul of the Machinist" -> right-click -> discard

"Soul of the Paladin -> right-click -> equip

I used PLD because that's what I think you are, I'm probably wrong.

I was going to do the:

Press Start > Character > Switch Gear Set to a non-shitty job

...angle, but that works too :) j/k btw, I know nothing about MCH except that it's the new DRG.

iammeiam

Is there a guide out there on how to properly play Machinist?

This is a fairly solid read, but keep in mind that there is a ton still in flux with the job (the change to Rapid Fire has sort of upset people who were obsessed with Stance Dancing and necessitated reworked openers, etc) so take it more as information than set-in-stone fact.

I will say I'm pretty sure Machinist is in a better spot than Bard right now (there's a lot of weird stuff with the job I need to test further but I think it'll have some interesting tricks to it), but good luck convincing people of that.

Sorian

Banned
Raid weapons! lol
Depending on how the new one is I won't mind doing two.

I fully expect a similar curve of relic quests to start off easy before becoming more and more ridiculous until they give us a gimme easy quest at the very end.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
For the first time last night I ended up actually needing to use Mage's Ballad. It just hasn't come up before but a mage called for it and was wondering why I wasn't using it. I will keep closer attention next time.
Shame!
Shame!
Shame!
🔔 🔔 🔔

credit to eskimojoe for that one

Sorian

Banned
If BLM didn't have the objectively best looking AF2, I'd level MCH to 60 next.

Man, I think BLM AF2 is ugly. Maybe I'll reconsider once I get it myself, don't think I've actually seen it since they showed that live letter a few months back.

MCH - "it's not terrible"

PLD - "it's still pretty boring"

SMN - "we BLM bahamut now"

BRD - "we BLM now"

BLM - "fire IV fire IV fire IV convert fire IV fire IV fire IV"

Oh....so your one THOSE Bards who refuse to use or hardly ever use songs.

How long have you played this game and what content have you done? Because speaking as someone who mains the Bard I have used Mage's Ballad plenty of times in these past 2 years.

Since ARR started. I did stop for about a year though around level 46 and just resumed play about a week ago. I think now that I'm well into level 50 content that the demand for using Mage's Ballad (and other songs) is there but it just hasn't come up as an issue before.

I even looked up a few tutorials regarding Bard that recommended using it as needed due to the DPS hit. I just never encountered a situation when it was NEEDED. I keep a hotkey on my crossbar ready for it as well.

Though I haven't done any EX or Coil yet. For that I imagine it would be a necessity. I'm not saying I don't want to use it but this was the first time I have ever encountered an issue about not using it.

This confuses me greatly.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I play Bard and rarely use songs - I am one of those.

fedexpeon

Banned
So much Machinist hate in here... the class is actually fun, believe it or not.

Nawww.
Fuck Machinist and their shitty push back move.
Seriously...you are fucking waste your own DPS by moving toward the tank to push fucking one mob so the tank and other dps has to chase it down?
Fuck you machinist players, fuck you.

But seriously, fuck that class and their mismanage at using their own turret skill.
That push back move should do 0 PVE damage, and 200 PVP damage so players don't have that skill on their bar while doing DF.

Aselith

Not really. Like I said, shares the same gear!

shogun2.jpg

iammeiam

Bitching about the existence of Blank is dumb. WHM has Fluid Aura which does the same thing. It's about knowing when you should and shouldn't use it.

Though I haven't done any EX or Coil yet. For that I imagine it would be a necessity. I'm not saying I don't want to use it but this was the first time I have ever encountered an issue about not using it.

You shouldn't need to ballad basically ever in any existing dungeon unless something has gone hilariously wrong.

By the end of 2.5, Ballad wasn't mandatory in any normal encounter. It's something you popped in case deaths drained healer MP, but no EX Primal or even Coil turn really needed it after overgearing kicked in (doubly so for after Echo.) There are a couple of spots in T13 where ballad was handy since literally nothing else was going on anyway, and mayyyyybe after T12 Bennu phase, but.

You probably haven't encountered an issue because it's never been needed. Foe Req should be played constantly, Ballad and Paeon are basically progression or "somebody has screwed up" tools.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nawww.
Fuck Machinist and their shitty push back move.
Seriously...you are fucking waste your own DPS by moving toward the tank to push fucking one mob so the tank and other dps has to chase it down?
Fuck you machinist players, fuck you.

But seriously, fuck that class and their mismanage at using their own turret skill.
That push back move should do 0 PVE damage, and 200 PVP damage so players don't have that skill on their bar while doing DF.

I never use that ability in dungeons.

How to play MCH: Run up to mobs in dungeons and use the knock back move every time.

It's a stun, so if the tank is standing in the stupid, (90% of tanks are too stupid to move or stun in low DF) you push the fucking thing away. Unless it's some sort of long ranged mob, then stop pushing it MCH.

Top Bottom