• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Rafterman

Banned
Problem is sometimes something looks big enough that we think it probably won't move if we use the pushback action. In the end it's additional dps maneuver, so it's still good for that.

Unless you have melee dps in the group in which case you aren't adding additional dps but are lowering it.

Zomba13

Unless you have melee dps in the group in which case you aren't adding additional dps but are lowering it.

Yup. Also most (all?) dugeon mobs get knocked back. By all means use it on bosses for more dps just not on the trash because it just causes headaches for the melee. Whenever I'm doing stuff as SMN and Garuda-Egi knocks back because I've left it on the "do your own thing" setting I feel bad.

Well...

Bought the expansion on steam, and downloaded the game again with the intentions of playing again. Don't remember my username or password, so I go to request a change, and I'm asked for my date of birth.

I enter it and it is wrong.

WTF

Guess I'm SOL huh?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well...

Bought the expansion on steam, and downloaded the game again with the intentions of playing again. Don't remember my username or password, so I go to request a change, and I'm asked for my date of birth.

WTF

Guess I'm SOL huh?

This is why i stopped lying for those fields. You should call up support and see if they can do anything for you though.

Just because most BLMs don't know how to adapt to actually having a difficult rotation doesn't mean the class is bad. Quite the opposite actually.

I believe that's a form of harassment if anyone felt like taking it up with a GM against you.

Kicking someone for playing poorly and refusing to work well with the rest of the party is harassment? Good luck with that

Aselith

Well...

WTF

Guess I'm SOL huh?

I had an issue like this battle.net and they just had me read off a CD key from the account to confirm.

Kilrathi

Almost finished with my pld gear wise for alex its full 180 currently need to kill ravana ex a bit more then then ill be all set

Sorian

Banned
Kicking someone for playing poorly and refusing to work well with the rest of the party is harassment? Good luck with that

You have 4 options you get to pick from when kicking someone from a group. Please enlighten me as to which one matches up with someone using an ability that SE gave them for their class. If I feel like knocking something back and SE gave me the ability to do it, you can go fuck right off.

Rafterman

Banned
You have 4 options you get to pick from when kicking someone from a group. Please enlighten me as to which one matches up with someone using an ability that SE gave them for their class. If I feel like knocking something back and SE gave me the ability to do it, you can go fuck right off.

Pet taunt is an ability developers give classes in MMOs, but I'll kick someone who uses a tank pet or a taunt all day long, as will most of any community. Just because you are given a tool doesn't mean you should be using it whenever you feel like it. Kicking someone for constantly using a knock back isn't going to get anyone into trouble with SE.

Lol

You sound like a Taru monk I ran into in XI who popped Hundred Fists whenever it was ready "because he felt like it" and got half the party killed.

Sure, you can use whatever abilities you have however you want, whenever you want. The other people in the party, however, are under no obligation to indulge you in wasting their time or making things unnecessarily difficult.

Nohar

So whats the general consensus on the expansion so far?

Story is a vast improvement from 2.0. Final boss is awesome.
New jobs underperform. This will get fixed.
New Bard is the subject of a lot of controversy. This job will get some adjustments in the future.
Flying is awesome. New zones are huge.
Music is really, really good.
Gil sellers will finally leave you in peace, as no one can send friend invites with a trial account any longer.
Drama is still out there, lurking, ready to jump at your throat at any sign of weakness. Be on your guard.
Summoner got one hell of a buff, thanks to useful and fun abilities.

Sorian

Banned
Pet taunt is an ability developers give classes in MMOs, but I'll kick someone who uses a tank pet or a taunt all day long, as will most of any community. Just because you are given a tool doesn't mean you should be using it whenever you feel like it. Kicking someone for constantly using a knock back isn't going to get anyone into trouble with SE.

Lol

You sound like a Taru monk I ran into in XI who popped Hundred Fists whenever it was ready "because he felt like it" and got half the party killed.

Sure, you can use whatever abilities you have however you want, whenever you want. The other people in the party, however, are under no obligation to indulge you in wasting their time or making things unnecessarily difficult.

Yes, it's called abuse of the vote kick system and if someone is willing to take the time to pursue it, it can most definitely get you in trouble.

In regards to the bolded, you're right, the rest of the party is under no obligation in indulge someone else. The parties option is either to vote abandon or leave the group. Force kicking out someone else because they don't play the way you want them to is harassment.

You seem super defensive of knocking back mobs.

I made it clear why and when I knock back mobs, specifically for interrupting in an emergency. So if that's defensive so be it, I'll continue to knock back in the very small situations that I have to, and you continue to bitch about all the other MCH.

Everybody wins.

Yes, it's called abuse of the vote kick system and if someone is willing to take the time to pursue it, it can most definitely get you in trouble.

In regards to the bolded, you're right, the rest of the party is under no obligation in indulge someone else. The parties option is either to vote abandon or leave the group. Force kicking out someone else because they don't play the way you want them to is harassment.

If there's only one of person playing with no heed for the rest, it's pretty obvious who's going home.

In all fairness, I never vote to kick or start the vote myself until someone has explained to the person what they're doing that's undesirable and why, and asking them not to do it. MOST people get it and often it comes from having only played that one job and not knowing what other jobs and roles need to do. Only when people refuse to adapt do they go up on the block, and that still requires a unanimous decision.

Are you this magnanimous in extreme Primals too?

barit

So I'm going to level my second class from 50 to 60 and that's my WHM but it's a chore. Any tipps of getting XP faster than doing those boring Fates 24/7? I've no quests left in Heavensward because I finished them all in my first run and the lvl50 dungeons from roulette give no experience for killing mobs. Wtf was Square thinking?

Nohar

I still get several spam tells an hour. So what are you doing right to avoid the spam?

Weird. Ever since I began playing Heavensward, I haven't been bothered a single time by GS. They can't send friend requests anymore, and the one who spam messages are only seen in ARR aeras as far as I can tell.

In any case: my Summoner is 60, my Bard is 55 (just leveling it for my retainer), Miner and Botanist are both 56. I'll focus on a healing job once I'm done leveling to 60 the one I just mentioned (and I'll equip my summoner in the meanwhile).

Sorian

Banned
If there's only one of person playing with no heed for the rest, it's pretty obvious who's going home.

In all fairness, I never vote to kick or start the vote myself until someone has explained to the person what they're doing that's undesirable and why, and asking them not to do it. MOST people get it and often it comes from having only played that one job and not knowing what other jobs and roles need to do. Only when people refuse to adapt do they go up on the block, and that still requires a unanimous decision.

Are you this magnanimous in extreme Primals too?

I've never gone into an extreme primal fight through DF. I only ever queue with a full 8 people. Why would I give myself a headache over randoms? If I solo into DF for anything, I resign myself to the fact that the rest of the group could really do whatever they wanted as long as they are actively playing and not afking in a corner and if I don't like it then I just leave.

iammeiam

So I'm going to level my second class from 50 to 60 and that's my WHM but it's a chore. Any tipps of getting XP faster than doing those boring Fates 24/7? I've no quests left in Heavensward because I finished them all in my first run and the lvl50 dungeons from roulette give no experience for killing mobs. Wtf was Square thinking?

Do your roulettes and Challenge Log stuff, mostly, plus your hunt dailies. Leves to fill. I pushed MCH from 50 to 51 without much heartache by using HLDR, LLDR, Trial, all of my daily hunts, and the FATE Challenge log entries. Didn't need leves.

If your WHM is geared and you have a decent Chocobo you can actually solo most or all of the daily hunt things (bringing a friend would certainly speed up the process, though.) The 58/59s can be kind of scary, and you'll come to rely on cure bombing yourself until you can Fluid Aura things away to buy you some time, but I did do that on 50 WHM after MCH 60. If you do all of them that's like 300K xp all by itself.

Rafterman

Banned

Except that it's not, and they won't. If you don't believe me contact a GM and ask. There have been multiple threads about this on the forums and if a group decides to kick you for your equipment, your play, your attitude, etc. it's all perfectly within their rights.

Contacted GM, and apparently it is perfectly fine and acceptable to vote kick for:

- Player disputes (of any kind)
- Differing game styles
- Watching cutscenes
- Boss tactics
- Using equipment they don't approve of

Also see this:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/186569-So-votekick-abuse-is-practically-allowed

h299ln6g.jpg

As for your 4 categories issue:

However, there is one topic in this thread that seems to be an underlying point of contention: reasons for dismissal that are not strictly "AFK", "Offline", "Harassment", or "Cheating". I would like to address this.

The response from the GM touched on this, although it was missed due to the focus on the first part of that sentence. The reasons for dismissal are not all encompassing, which means that there may be valid reasons for dismissal outside of those four examples. Good examples of this that have been provided in this thread are the refusal to fulfill one's job function. Because of this, it is possible that the reasons provided for dismissal may be found to be accurate if they are used against you.

There are certainly ways to abuse the vote kick, but kicking someone for refusing to play within the parameters of a group isn't one of them.

Zomba13

I think if someone is playing in a way that makes it harder for the other players to do their jobs effectively and continue even after being asked/told not to then they should by all means be free to kick them. Yeah, it's "just a game" and "play how you want" but what if the people playing want to play without having someone make the game harder for them? They have no obligation to put up with someone making it hard on them. It's very unfair to have the majority punished for the minority. Oh you've got a terrible player who isn't taking advice? You all better leave then because fuck you for not putting up with them.

And just because you have a tool in your belt doesn't mean you have to use it.

Rafterman

Banned
I think if someone is playing in a way that makes it harder for the other players to do their jobs effectively and continue even after being asked/told not to then they should by all means be free to kick them. Yeah, it's "just a game" and "play how you want" but what if the people playing want to play without having someone make the game harder for them? They have no obligation to put up with someone making it hard on them. It's very unfair to have the majority punished for the minority. Oh you've got a terrible player who isn't taking advice? You all better leave then because fuck you for not putting up with them.

And just because you have a tool in your belt doesn't mean you have to use it.

Truth.

Having said that, I've yet to kick anyone in FFXIV for anything other than being AFK or constantly getting disconnected. Most people want to play right and helping them out or politely pointing out that something they are doing isn't working usually fixes the problem.

Zomba13

Truth.

Having said that, I've yet to kick anyone in FFXIV for anything other than being AFK or constantly getting disconnected. Most people want to play right and helping them out or politely pointing out that something they are doing isn't working usually fixes the problem.

Only time I've kicked someone outside of AFK/Disconnected if in the ST dungeons when the idiot pulling early and messing everything up is in my party. In 4 player or 8 player stuff though usually telling them once or asking is enough to get them to stop knock backs or put away their tank pet or to put protect up etc.

DrBo42

I know there was talk of them streamlining the leveling experience from 1-50, did that happen in time for the expansion roll-out or is it still pending?

Is there a variable for displaying dodge/evasion count/rate for incoming attacks in the ACT mini parse? I see parry and block but not evasion/dodges. It's available as 'avoids' I think in the main view.

saher

Banned
What i love about the expansion so far is the zones, they are large compared to the launch zones and they are BEAUTIFUL!! i also really like the new large scale leves.

The only disappointment in the expansion are all the new jobs to be honest, especially machinist.

Except that it's not, and they won't. If you don't believe me contact a GM and ask. There have been multiple threads about this on the forums and if a group decides to kick you for your equipment, your play, your attitude, etc. it's all perfectly within their rights.

Also see this:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/186569-So-votekick-abuse-is-practically-allowed

h299ln6g.jpg

As for your 4 categories issue:

There are certainly ways to abuse the vote kick, but kicking someone for refusing to play within the parameters of a group isn't one of them.

i like how the person tried to block his name but it's visible under their forum user plate.

that said i'm pretty sure hey made this change around 2.2 because of the large amount of people kicking new players for watching cutscenes and brayflox speed run expectations.

I know there was talk of them streamlining the leveling experience from 1-50, did that happen in time for the expansion roll-out or is it still pending?

They doubled the main story xp for new chars so you don't really have to do much sidequests if any at all, and for leveling alts and stuff they doubled the armory bonus xp(was +50%combat xp for having a higher level class, now is +100%), which makes levels about 30-50mins each up to 50, so pretty fast. They might do more eventually, don't know.

i like how the person tried to block his name but it's visible under their forum user plate.

that said i'm pretty sure hey made this change around 2.2 because of the large amount of people kicking new players for watching cutscenes and brayflox speed run expectations.

Honestly, I think kicking people for watching cut scenes is BS. If someone's watching I just do the harvest dance until everyone's ready to go

Adaren

Hey all! Now that I'm resigned in my disillusionment with WoW, I've decided to give FF14 a shot!

Quick question: with WoW's transmog system, you were required to have the item you wanted to copy the appearance of on your person. Many items from non-repeatable quests had unique appearances, and, as such, you would occasionally need to save one-of-a-kind-appearance items from quests so that you could use it for transmog later.

Is the same true in FF14? Do quests reward gear that has unique appearances I won't be able to get later, and should I save that gear for glamouring if so? Are there any other "gotchas" they I should make sure to do so that I don't regret them months down the line?

Thanks!

Top Bottom