• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is 50-60 nothing but talking quests? Good god. There's so much talking and warping from one end of the world to the other.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Hey all! Now that I'm resigned in my disillusionment with WoW, I've decided to give FF14 a shot!

Quick question: with WoW's transmog system, you were required to have the item you wanted to copy the appearance of on your person. Many items from non-repeatable quests had unique appearances, and, as such, you would occasionally need to save one-of-a-kind-appearance items from quests so that you could use it for transmog later.

Is the same true in FF14? Do quests reward gear that has unique appearances I won't be able to get later, and should I save that gear for glamouring if so? Are there any other "gotchas" they I should make sure to do so that I don't regret them months down the line?

Thanks!
You'll need the item the moment you paste the appearance to something else. After that you can dump it or store it.

There's some special storage slots you can access at an inn or your guild house (the Armoire) designed to hold specific unique items such as unique quest rewards, acount bound items (CE stuff), and certain seasonal items. Unique items that you can't place in there are usually sold by the Calamity Salvager in the main cities. He carries most unique items you've earned from quest, seasonal events, achievements, etc... so if you're low on space you can discard most unique items and just buy them back when needed.

The only stuff you have to horde for future glamour is dungeon/raid drops, gear bought with tomes, and common items found from vendors or crafted.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
hopefully I get groups that dont mind me watching cutscenes
that or I'll have to resort to Youtube which is pretty lame but what can a boy playing video games do?

Adaren

Unique items that you can't place in there are usually sold by the Calamity Salvager in the main cities. He carries most unique items you've earned from quest, seasonal events, achievements, etc... so if you're low on space you can discard most unique items and just buy them back when needed.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear!

I don't mind doing some extra work to get the item back when I want to Glamour with it, I just don't want to regret throwing away some random quest reward months or years down the line because it has a unique appearance that seemed unspecial at the time.

But this sounds like exactly what I want! Thanks!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Am I better off buying the PS4 bundle for $48 or ARR for $17?

Does FFXIV require the PS4 disc to be in the drive?

That's not a bad price, but the only thing you'll have access to from Heavensward will be the ability to start your character with the new race. Everything else is currently locked behind the story of ARR (and it's patches) so it'll be a while before you see the new zones and story.

You can play without the disc by registering the code it comes with and downloading the game. If you place the disc in it'll auto install and bug you about inserting the disc so don't even bother with it.

Zomba13

hopefully I get groups that dont mind me watching cutscenes
that or I'll have to resort to Youtube which is pretty lame but what can a boy playing video games do?

If for whatever reason you're forced to skip cutscenes (just watch them) then you can always re-watch them at the inn. Much better than youtubing because it's your character in your gear.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Got everything in the damn game done and cannot get past Bismark Extreme for the life of me its so frustrating ...... if any one person does some dumb shit its over every time. Jesus take the wheel.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Got everything in the damn game done and cannot get past Bismark Extreme for the life of me its so frustrating ...... if any one person does some dumb shit its over every time. Jesus take the wheel.
Haven't even tried EX yet. But all hard mode Bismarck runs have been terrible..I can't even imagine.

Pancho

Qurupancho
It seems like lots of DPS aren't using the new skills well and/or are relatively undergeared.
I wish this was the case, most dps has always been kind of terrible. Good dps is so rare to see. Its sad tho, that these people who are playing Bismark and other HW content did go through all of ARR and never bothered to learn proper DPS.

scy

I wish this was the case, most dps has always been kind of terrible. Good dps is so rare to see. Its sad tho, that these people who are playing Bismark and other HW content did go through all of ARR and never bothered to learn proper DPS.

This is honestly what most people should be concerned with and not "oh god I got X class in this run."

Yeah, DPS being the least demanding combined with numerous avenues to level/get gear without much effort or skill causes a lot of that.

I love burning down enemies as fast as possible, but who knows what motivates some lol

Uthred

Not sure how I feel about BLM at 60...

Have to say, I'm not a fan. Trying to like it but the expert dungeons and ex primals do not make it easy. Perhaps the transatlantic lag is exacerbating the tight timing issues but it just feels unfun as opposed to tough but rewarding.

Soma

Finally did Bismarck HM today. First run i totally lost my shit when i saw a tank run off the cliff towards bismarck RIGHT before he connected with the arena area (after getting harpooned).

We obviously wiped but we got him down in the next one.

OsirisBlack

Banned

The worst part being a tank and doing your job and the damn dps cant burn down the mobs before you get nuked. And being the tank you have to sit and watch....... the last group I was in I actually dropped grit midway through and made life absolutely hell for my whm but its the only reason we even made it to phase 3...... your tank should not have to drop his tanking stance to help dps.

From looking around at the statics recruiting, people really want a caster aka SMN, the flavor of the month. R.I.P me for leveling ninja first.

Qvoth

i'm just gonna say 1 thing to the blms out there, stick with the class, you'll get used to the rotation and everything will click
the skill floor is much higher now imo
not going to be surprised if we get a buff again, you have to admit it's pretty hard

LowParry

From looking around at the statics recruiting, people really want a caster aka SMN, the flavor of the month. R.I.P me for leveling ninja first.

Tell me about it. Getting in as a AST is a hard hit and miss though I have one potential lined up and waiting for the approval. In the mean time, cards should be applied more like this.

o4X0xKi.jpg

Rokam

Thinking about jumping in, never played before. And already hit a wall in that SE apparently can't send the confirmation e-mail. I get other mail from SE so I'm not sure what's up. Anyone with a Cox e-mail have this issue?

Tash

The lemming mentality here about bard and dragoon is really annoying. Yes, our bard and drg also complained at first but now that they are properly geared and used to content and the adjusted rotations, shit goes down fast! Totally obliterated the exp dungeons yesterday, and I DO mean OBLITERATED. They are on par with SMN and yes, all of them know to play their jobs well.

Tash

Thinking about jumping in, never played before. And already hit a wall in that SE apparently can't send the confirmation e-mail. I get other mail from SE so I'm not sure what's up. Anyone with a Cox e-mail have this issue?

Can't help with input on the email issue but if you like some extra goodies here is a friend code :) PCZ5EMS7

Semper88

So we did Rav EX yesterday, first time with the static and got it down to 30%.

That fight is pretty cool, love how the shields works and my WAR is just another dps in that fight :D

Well done SE, one of the few fights that don't bore me.

Tabris

Once you get past Swift / Final Liberation with no one dead you're fine. So once you get past that 30%, then it's easy street.

kiryogi

Banned
i'm just gonna say 1 thing to the blms out there, stick with the class, you'll get used to the rotation and everything will click
not going to be surprised if we get a buff again, you have to admit it's pretty hard

I absolutely love what they did to BLM and appreciate that the skill floor and contrast is much more vast now.

There are certainly ways to abuse the vote kick, but kicking someone for refusing to play within the parameters of a group isn't one of them.

They need to get rid of votekicking altogether. If you really want a pristine experience go in with a premade with friends/FC/PF.

Zomba13

They need to get rid of votekicking altogether. If you really want a pristine experience go in with a premade with friends/FC/PF.

Oh god no. Certain content (CT/ST/WoD) would be literally unplayable. All it takes is one bad apple to fuck up runs of those places and you can't go in with full premades due to it being an alliance. And yeah, fuck me for wanting to kick people that drop offline and don't come back or those that just sit AFK at the start/after a boss.

iammeiam

The lemming mentality here about bard and dragoon is really annoying. Yes, our bard and drg also complained at first but now that they are properly geared and used to content and the adjusted rotations, shit goes down fast! Totally obliterated the exp dungeons yesterday, and I DO mean OBLITERATED. They are on par with SMN and yes, all of them know to play their jobs well.

Potency and weapon damage mean a skilled bard cannot be on par with a skilled summoner. It literally can't be done. The DPS ceiling for the class is low. 'git gud' isn't a solution. They poorly implemented a DPS stance that doesn't really boost DPS, and kept the job in the Weapon Damage basement (but got them a nice new roommate in MCH.)

This conversation gets weird because people want to fall into one of two extremes--Bard/Machinist sucks and should be avoided at all costs, or everything is fine no reason to be alarmed. The support jobs are in a rough spot. They need to be addressed. That doesn't mean they should be blacklisted from content because nothing currently in the game is tuned tight enough for it to matter, but it also means we shouldn't ignore it just because we can all outgear and curb stomp EXDR.

Qvoth

I absolutely love what they did to BLM and appreciate that the skill floor and contrast is much more vast now.
Yeah but you can't deny they need to change some things, like as of now thundercloud has no place at all in the rotation 90% of the times

When I started leveling Bard I was expecting more of a true support class rather than this weird support/dps hybrid (For those who played Lord of the Rings Online, Minstrel has been one of my favourite MMO classes ever), given the current state of Bard at 60 as well I'm considering just getting it to 50 and switching to something else.

Sadly it sounds like Mechanist isn't doing too great either, so maybe I'll just roll into a different playstyle altogether.

Zomba13

When I started leveling Bard I was expecting more of a true support class rather than this weird support/dps hybrid (For those who played Lord of the Rings Online, Minstrel has been one of my favourite MMO classes ever), given the current state of Bard at 60 as well I'm considering just getting it to 50 and switching to something else.

Sadly it sounds like Mechanist isn't doing too great either, so maybe I'll just roll into a different playstyle altogether.

I wish they leaned more into the support aspects. Like maybe made it so dome of the DPS was through support actions and the like. Kind of how a sizeable portion of SMN DPS comes from the pet, they should have had a bunch come from party buffs so even if a BRD DPS was like, 400, 200 came from buffs given to the other party members so a DRG might do 600 normally but 700 with a BRD or something (I donno how DPS numbers work). The way it is now that aspect seems very much under utilised on BRDs instead focussing them to be more typical DPS.

Uthred

The skill required is much higher, but the real problem is that theres no commensurate reward. Its going to be especially bad for progression groups as BLM simply cant respond that well to unknown fights. Who could blame a raid leader for choosing to go with SMN as their ranged DPS of choice? SMN's have better utility, better mobility and comparable DPS (better in any fight with lots of movement or thats new to the BLM or for AOE)

scy

I wish they leaned more into the support aspects. Like maybe made it so dome of the DPS was through support actions and the like. Kind of how a sizeable portion of SMN DPS comes from the pet, they should have had a bunch come from party buffs so even if a BRD DPS was like, 400, 200 came from buffs given to the other party members so a DRG might do 600 normally but 700 with a BRD or something (I donno how DPS numbers work). The way it is now that aspect seems very much under utilised on BRDs instead focussing them to be more typical DPS.

Well ... Bard's do have Foe's Requiem for casters and Machinists have their Physical / Magical vulnerability via Hypercharge. Most of the problems people are having are more towards the playstyle while keeping the DPS gap status quo (and, well, in some cases the gap having grown).

Yeah. I was hoping I would be spending more of my time actively using supportive abilities, rather than turning on a song and going back to my DPS rotation. Because the support abilities aren't very engaging, the class doesn't really feel any different from any other dps class.

Top Bottom