• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Redx508

2MXafnD.jpg

tumblr_nd50i1Kn6b1qe934lo6_250.gif

Been noticing a lot more Monk's in DF. Anyone know what's that all about?

Well I just leveled monk as my DPS class. Logic is, I don't really wanna play dragoon even after all the buffs I just hate jumps, Ninja is fun but Mudra lag from europe is annoying as hell(especially when the animation fires but the skill doesn't, that's the best), so Monk it is, at least for melee DPS.

Pretty funny that once I hit 60 on my monk, I bought the chest and weapon and proceeded to do more damage than I've seen a DF DPS do in Fractal on my first run. Haven't done that many runs yet though on my AST, so haven't seen that many DPS, but people doing 500-600 tends to be the norm, even though the bosses are glorified dummies(last boss maybe a bit less so, but still).

Baleoce

Ninja is fun but Mudra lag from europe is annoying as hell(especially when the animation fires but the skill doesn't, that's the best)

Yeah I was thinking about trying Ninja, but I have similar concerns about it. I'm in an all UK static, yet for some reason we decided on Excalibur (?!) at ARR launch because reasons.

Uthred

Yeah I was thinking about trying Ninja, but I have similar concerns about it. I'm in an all UK static, yet for some reason we decided on Excalibur (?!) at ARR launch because reasons.

EU and NA servers are in the same place so it doesnt make a difference (for the moment)

Server doesn't matter, they're all in canada, EU included. It's not unplayable and I was doing pretty good with Ninja back when it was released and I went on a few weeks playing it, but you're losing a bit of DPS to the latency issues, and it's really bad if you don't notice when a mudra didn't fire properly, which is rough cause they do fire kinda quick. That said I don't think it was that much, maybe 10-20DPS over a fight or whatever, which was with doing 500 or whatever(pre poetics gear), so eh. I just got annoyed at the whole thing and didn't play ninja since.

Baleoce

EU and NA servers are in the same place so it doesnt make a difference (for the moment)

Server doesn't matter, they're all in canada, EU included. It's not unplayable and I was doing pretty good with Ninja back when it was released and I went on a few weeks playing it, but you're losing a bit of DPS to the latency issues, and it's really bad if you don't notice when a mudra didn't fire properly, which is rough cause they do fire kinda quick. That said I don't think it was that much, maybe 10-20DPS over a fight or whatever, which was with doing 500 or whatever(pre poetics gear), so eh. I just got annoyed at the whole thing and didn't play ninja since.

Yeah that's true, I just meant from the perspective that, it's more likely that a current "EU" server will be one of those transferred to an EU data center when they're eventually released. So you wouldn't necessarily have to have been met with the situation where you're leaving friends behind when the time comes. And eventually it would've benefitted us with the latency too, but there's not much chance of us server swapping when the data centers do come out. My ISP / broadband doesn't have a particularly good ping in the first place (well, technically I don't even have broadband atm, I've been waiting 14 weeks on it, but my old connection had a bad ping and it's near the same area), so when a game server adds more to that than it needs to, it becomes a cumulative issue for me.

Yeah that's true, I just meant from the perspective that, it's more likely that a current "EU" server will be one of those transferred to an EU data center when they're eventually released. So you wouldn't necessarily have to have been met with the situation where you're leaving friends behind when the time comes.

Honestly no idea how they'll do that, I would assume they will let anyone transfer for free, but it's gonna be messy. If they only transfer the EU tagged servers, it'd make sense but a lot of people are gonna be unhappy I guess. I don't mind the lag too much, just on ninja it annoyed me.

My journey in XIV is coming along. Now lvl 12 Arcanist and had lil leveling for Culinarist and Fisherman (something like lvl 10).

I kinda have no idea if I should just max the Arcanist asap or just juggle between the classes. Also I have no idea where I should dump all the bonus attributes. I'm planning to main a healer (scholar) so thus far I just spend it all on Mind but I got no idea if I'd need to boost the max MP stat too.

Jayhawk

If they're not spirit bound I think I have a bunch of both

My old source of metallic dyes! I will message you late tonight or sometime tomorrow. I shall get my gathering set all silvery and hopefully I can reach 650 gathering and 650 perception this weekend.

EDIT: Who wants to work out a deal for a Thavnairian Bustier or another similar item? I have some silks sitting in my inventory. :>

My old source of metallic dyes! I will message you late tonight or sometime tomorrow. I shall get my gathering set all silvery and hopefully I can reach 650 gathering and 650 perception this weekend.

EDIT: Who wants to work out a deal for a Thavnairian Bustier or another similar item? I have some silks sitting in my inventory. :>

maybe ill get one to draw ire from my group and maybe angary

Fmal

Banned
Why is SE so opposed to DPS meters but also obsessed with throwing DPS checks everywhere?

I'm helping a friend get thru Biz EX and not being able to tell specific pubs to step their DPS up for fear of getting banned for using a 3rd part is a Kafka-esque nightmare.

My journey in XIV is coming along. Now lvl 12 Arcanist and had lil leveling for Culinarist and Fisherman (something like lvl 10).

I kinda have no idea if I should just max the Arcanist asap or just juggle between the classes. Also I have no idea where I should dump all the bonus attributes. I'm planning to main a healer (scholar) so thus far I just spend it all on Mind but I got no idea if I'd need to boost the max MP stat too.

Dump it all into Mind if you're planning on leveling as a Scholar (you should).

Been noticing a lot more Monk's in DF. Anyone know what's that all about?

It's been my impression that MNK is in a weird place right now. I hear more complaints about NIN and BLM getting complex, and BRD and MCH being underwhelming. SMN and DRG have become the new bandwagon so MNK is like this semi-bandwagon class right now.

What's so funny is that this game continues the trend of FFXI dps flavor of the month theme (I'm sure all MMOs do) that takes what the playerbase considered the worst jobs and pump them up to near God like, if only for a time.

Azzurri

Quick question about Astro.

When you draw a card and want to use it do you have to target person you want or is it an AOE that applies to the everyone.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

When you draw a card and want to use it do you have to target person you want or is it an AOE that applies to the everyone.

It's targeted. When it's modified by Royal Road to be an AOE, it applies the effect around the target (like Protect)

grimmiq

You have to target the person you want to use it on, if you use Royal Road on certain cards it can make the next card you use AoE.

Zetta

Bard was my favorite job until these damn updates. Now I
ll just switch to Pld for law collection while I finish leveling everything to 60. Also am I the only one that can't get enough of the Ravana theme? It's so damn good.

Teletraan1

Banned
So do you get law tomes for LLDR at max level?

If so it explains the sudden rise in speedrunning through everything. Cutters cry went from kill everything to kill the first room and run to the sands, run to the sand, a few bosses and run with the whole instance to the boss room.

Makes a dps wait a lot less worth it. I actually liked getting 3-4k xp for every weak mob that just melts like butter.

linid0t

Finally got to Heavensward content - total play time
111 hours wtf

That ending to 2.X - woooow, can't wait to get through the expansion story.

Uthred

So do you get law tomes for LLDR at max level?

If so it explains the sudden rise in speedrunning through everything. Cutters cry went from kill everything to kill the first room and run to the sands, run to the sand, a few bosses and run with the whole instance to the boss room.

Makes a dps wait a lot less worth it. I actually liked getting 3-4k xp for every weak mob that just melts like butter.

You do, just like you got tomestones from it pre HW. Only then there was a weekly cap so it was more efficient to use LLDR for alt jobs and EXDR to cap. However people still ran lower level dungeons for other reasons (Relic's etc.) Having levelled an alt job in March and levelling one now theres no appreciable difference in how people handle roulette dungeons, speedruns are the standard, full clears being the exception

IvorB

Yeah but you can't deny they need to change some things, like as of now thundercloud has no place at all in the rotation 90% of the times

If you sharpcast a Thunder I then you get a free Thundercloud. Sharpcast is up quite often. I really hope they don't change anything.

Valor

If you sharpcast a Thunder I then you get a free Thundercloud. Sharpcast is up quite often. I really hope they don't change anything.
If you Sharpcast a Fire I you get a Fire III which is way better like in every situation, ne?

IvorB

If you Sharpcast a Fire I you get a Fire III which is way better like in every situation, ne?

Well I thought about this and my reasoning was that Firestarter already has a very good chance to go off so it could potentially be a waste forcing a proc for something that has a good chance of happening regardless. Thunder 1 is also cheaper mana-wise and has the chance to create additional Thunderclouds. I think the damage is pretty much the same between a Firestarter and Thundercloud from what I saw. Also Thunder doesn't interfere with astral/Umbral. I'm still playing around with stuff so I dunno...

Uthred

If you're using Sharpcast for that then in most situations you're using Sharpcast wrong, the optimal rotations have no meaningful room for Thunder apart from in the odd edge case, largely dependent on server ticks.

Well I thought about this and my reasoning was that Firestarter already has a very good chance to go off so it could potentially be a waste forcing a proc for something that has a good chance of happening regardless. Thunder 1 is also cheaper mana-wise and has the chance to create additional Thunderclouds. I think the damage is pretty much the same between a Firestarter and Thundercloud from what I saw. Also Thunder doesn't interfere with astral/Umbral. I'm still playing around with stuff so I dunno...

The key elements of the new rotation are maximising Enochian uptime and trying to squeeze in as many Fire IV's as you can, wasting time casting Thunder and even using Thundercloud proc's is generally a dps loss and worse is wasting your precious Enochian and/or AF uptime. Firestarter has a 40% chance, which given how tight the new rotation is cant really be described as a "very good" chance, you need Firestarter to be up so you can use FIII to refresh AF to insure you're pumping out those FIV's

In general the new playstyle for BLM's doesnt have the same intrinsic issues that, say, BRD (may have) has. As such a few QOL changes would be sufficient to make the effort match the reward while maintaining the current playstyle.

IvorB

If you're using Sharpcast for that then in most situations you're using Sharpcast wrong, the optimal rotations have no meaningful room for Thunder apart from in the odd edge case, largely dependent on server ticks.

Well then what do you reckon the right use of Sharpcast is? I don't know anything about these optimal rotations I'm just playing around with it myself and seeing what's good.

IvorB

The key elements of the new rotation are maximising Enochian uptime and trying to squeeze in as many Fire IV's as you can, wasting time casting Thunder and even using Thundercloud proc's is generally a dps loss and worse is wasting your precious Enochian and/or AF uptime. Firestarter has a 40% chance, which given how tight the new rotation is cant really be described as a "very good" chance, you need Firestarter to be up so you can use FIII to refresh AF to insure you're pumping out those FIV's

In general the new playstyle for BLM's doesnt have the same intrinsic issues that, say, BRD (may have) has. As such a few QOL changes would be sufficient to make the effort match the reward while maintaining the current playstyle.

Yeah obviously you don't want to be sitting around casting Thunder when you could be casting Fire IV but Thunder 1 is really fast to cast and you can weave it in without jeopardising your astral fire or your Fire IV, which is admittedly a bit tricky. I think the pay-off of a free Thundercloud for the price of a Thunder I is pretty good. 40% chance for Firestarter means there is a 40% chance that you wasted that Sharpcast. That doesn't seem worth it to me.

I don't really know what QOL changes means. What would that be?

Uthred

Well then what do you reckon the right use of Sharpcast is? I don't know anything about these optimal rotations I'm just playing around with it myself and seeing what's good.

Using it to make maintaining AF easier/reliable in order to squeeze in more F4's, something like:

LeyLine> F3> Enochian> RS> F4> F4> (Sharpcast) F1> F4> F4> procF3> Convert> F4> F4 > B3> B4> F3> F4> F4> F1> F4> F4> (procF3)> etc.

Even if you had time to squeeze in a Sharpcast T1 during the UI phase that time combined with using the Thundercloud proc is likely going to mess up your rotation given how tight it is (depending to a limited extent on gearing). Better to save the Sharpcast for your F1's so you have the FS proc ready to use in case you need it (and to use with Convert once its back up).

Yeah obviously you don't want to be sitting around casting Thunder when you could be cast Fire IV but Thunder 1 is really fast to cast and you can weave it in without jeopardising your astral fire or your Fire IV, which is admittedly a bit tricky. I think the pay-off of a free Thundercloud for the price of a Thunder I is pretty good. 40% chance for Firestarter means there is a 40% chance that you wasted that Sharpcast. That doesn't seem worth it to me.

I don't really know what QOL changes means. What would that be?

QOL changes = Quality of Life changes, SE could tweak the way BLM currently functions to retain the playstyle but make it a bit less punishing on upkeep, some examples floated in the thread and elsewhere are to extend the length of AF and/or UI by a second or two, have F4 apply AF (probably over-powered), have it so that if you have the buffs available when you cast a spell that even if they drop off the spell completes, its immensely punishing to lose a F4 or B4 mid-cast as a) it ruins your rotation, b) it wasted that time and c) makes catching back up difficult (and I suppose d) makes it a bit better for players from the EU/with a poor connection).

Korezo

It's been my impression that MNK is in a weird place right now. I hear more complaints about NIN and BLM getting complex, and BRD and MCH being underwhelming. SMN and DRG have become the new bandwagon so MNK is like this semi-bandwagon class right now.

What's so funny is that this game continues the trend of FFXI dps flavor of the month theme (I'm sure all MMOs do) that takes what the playerbase considered the worst jobs and pump them up to near God like, if only for a time.

In FFXI I think war and drk dominated the dps raid stuff through most of the games prime, then later samurai around the time I quit. I don't think FFXIV is the same because I have yet to see anyone stack one dps class to to raids unlike FFXI 1.0 where people would do runs only with BLM dps. I miss the axe burn/ zerg burn FFXI days. SE should of made bloodweapon for DRK give 80% haste and break the game.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Joined an Alexander raid LS they found out I wasn't done with Bismark Extreme so we went cleared it on the first try. Amazing how easy it is when you have a group that knows what the hell they are doing.

IvorB

QOL changes = Quality of Life changes, SE could tweak the way BLM currently functions to retain the playstyle but make it a bit less punishing on upkeep, some examples floated in the thread and elsewhere are to extend the length of AF and/or UI by a second or two, have F4 apply AF (probably over-powered), have it so that if you have the buffs available when you cast a spell that even if they drop off the spell completes, its immensely punishing to lose a F4 or B4 mid-cast as a) it ruins your rotation, b) it wasted that time and c) makes catching back up difficult (and I suppose d) makes it a bit better for players from the EU/with a poor connection).

Oh you mean make it easier. Personally I think it's fine the way it is and the fact that you can't just pick it up and master it straight away makes it even more interesting. Also the cooldown for Enochian isn't that long so if you do screw up it's not long before you can give it another go. It's a dramatic step up in complexity so I can see why people are struggling but it's only been out for like three weeks and people are calling for nerfs before even putting in the time to try and get to grips with it.

Top Bottom