• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Thinking of trying this out... could anyone kindly answer a few questions i have?

Is the game/mmo experience translated well to PS4? Or is it recommended to play on PC? My PC is really beast but i have some friends who might want to play on PS4. I also used to play vanilla WoW and my character was a hunter. What classes are best at DPS (magic, melee, range does not matter) in the game?

The game is platform agnostic. Everyone plays together (as far as PS3/PS4/PC is concerned, you have separate data centers housing servers for geographical regions you can play on), so play on your platform of choice.
As far as the experience, the game runs very well on PS4. I believe you can also use USB KB/M if you want, however the Cross Hotbar UI for using gamepads is extremely good.
I'm on PC, and after using one for so long, I don't think I could play the game without a gamepad.

Zomba13

Thinking of trying this out... could anyone kindly answer a few questions i have?

Is the game/mmo experience translated well to PS4? Or is it recommended to play on PC? My PC is really beast but i have some friends who might want to play on PS4. I also used to play vanilla WoW and my character was a hunter. What classes are best at DPS (magic, melee, range does not matter) in the game?

I play on PC but from what I hear PS4 is fine. PC version is fantastic though.

PS3/PS4/PC/Mac all play on same servers so get it on the platform you like and gamepads work fine on PC (I prefer using a pad on PC) and I think keyboards work fine on PS4 to allow easy chat.

DPS classes/jobs are Archer/Bard (Range), Pugilist/Monk (Melee), Lancer/Dragoon (Melee), Rouge/Ninja (Melee), Thaumaturge/Black Mage (Magic), Arcanist/Summoner (magic) and Expansion exlusive lvl30 needed Machinist (range).

All are viable though right now some Bards have issues with a lvl 50+ skill that turns them from a run and gun style into a turret, Summoners see to be very strong and Dragoons are complex but also very strong.

I would recommend trying the trial version and seeing if you like it. GAF plays on Ultros in the Primal datacenter if you want a server to join with people that can help out (if you don't already have a server in mind).

If you want a recruit a friend code send me a PM and I'll give you one. You apply them when you subscribe if you choose to and you get some helpful things like tickets for free teleports and a hat that gives 25% more exp for levels 25 and below.

Also remember you can access all content on one character so if you play and don't like one class you can just unlock another and see if you enjoy that more.

Qvoth

Just going to try and clear ravana x today, been stuck at the purple aoe + crossfire for a while :<
On a side note, 1k dps blms on ravana x 4 minute kills gives me hope for the class :>
Probably they set it up so that everyone helps blm during prelude to liberation, maybe battle litany, foe requiem + battle voice

Uthred

Except they murdered all the old VA so he'll have a new one like everyone else in Eorzea. Plus we still don't know for certain if it really is Derplander as a character or if Derplander just represents us in that after credits stinger like he does in the CGI and other trailers.

In every single instance of the character being represented in game they use your actual character model, its only in the promotional material that they use Johnny Generic to represent the player. It seems like quite a stretch for Johnny Generic to be used as a stand in for the character when in literally every other instance they just use the character.

Soma

DF'ed into a random 4 DRG (including me) Bismarck instance

That was the fastest I've seen him go down.
yI4un6A.png

Wagram

Just going to try and clear ravana x today, been stuck at the purple aoe + crossfire for a while :<
On a side note, 1k dps blms on ravana x 4 minute kills gives me hope for the class :>
Probably they set it up so that everyone helps blm during prelude to liberation, maybe battle litany, foe requiem + battle voice

The trick to solve that situation with the liberations is to create quadrants for people to immediately run to as the 4th charge is going out for the swords. Have two people head to A, B, C, D and everyone will not overlap each other.

Moaradin

Managed to get Ravana EX today. Joined a clear group but we ended up farming it 8 times lol

Fun fight. Has a lot of interesting mechanics that makes me excited for Alexander.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

PS4 and PC players play on the same servers. You can play with a controller on the pc and play like you are playing on a console.

Qvoth

ps4 version is very high graphical settings i think? it's very playable with ps4, plenty of people have cleared the hardest contents on it

Do people usually rush leveling one class or divide them? I'm now lvl 19 Arcanist+lvl15 Conjurer+lvl 15 Culinarian+lvl 8 Fisherman. I doubt I'd start leveling any melee or such classes right now but should I join all the gatherer/crafting stuff and level them as I go or leave them for much later?

I found it interesting there are cross class skills too. Do the attributes you gain from leveling cross between classes?

Also one thing I find weird is that you cannot join a group thingy with Arcanist as a healer. I know I'm still low levels but from what I have seen it's not any less capable of healing than Conjurer at this point.

One thing I find a little surprising/dissapointing is how the world isn't seamless like WoW considering that came out in 2004. There is quite a bit of loading screens even while traveling on foot.

fedexpeon

Banned
Managed to get Ravana EX today. Joined a clear group but we ended up farming it 8 times lol

Fun fight. Has a lot of interesting mechanics that makes me excited for Alexander.

What interesting mechanics?
All you do is dance/hide around area 1 and area 2 and back to area 1. Probably the hardest thing is that some people have realllllly bad short term memory and can't remember where area 1 aoe was 3 sec ago...
I am probably jaded with MMO(been playing the genre for over a decade) since nothing can really be interesting anymore. MMO is all about positional and dps race.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wow the channel/instance system is messed up. So infuriating.
The Churning Mists are the worst. Since there's no regular area transition, you can't choose the instance.
Only thing you can do is to warp in/out and pray.

The Churning Mists are the worst. Since there's no regular area transition, you can't choose the instance.
Only thing you can do is to warp in/out and pray.

Ah so there really isn't a way to select your instance there. I thought I was just missing some obscure way to do it, but nope.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ah so there really isn't a way to select your instance there. I thought I was just missing some obscure way to do it, but nope.
Nope. It also seems that warping within one instance won't throw you into the other one.

One thing I saw other people doing is logging out and logging in.

Moaradin

All you do is dance/hide around area 1 and area 2 and back to area 1. Probably the hardest thing is that some people have realllllly bad short term memory and can't remember where area 1 aoe was 3 sec ago...
I am probably jaded with MMO(been playing the genre for over a decade) since nothing can really be interesting anymore. MMO is all about positional and dps race.

The parry mechanic is cool. Realm Reborn didn't have anything like that.

Omni

Did I mess up by joining the Lamia server?

I'm thinking I'm going to sub once the 14 day trial runs out. I'm having fun with this actually.

Ken

Heavensward |OT| Nothing can really be interesting anymore.

I'm thinking I'm going to sub once the 14 day trial runs out. I'm having fun with this actually.

I don't think we have anyone here in Lamia and it's not an oft-spoken about server so no clue how it is.

Lagamorph

Why do people hate Aurum Vale so much?
Last night we went through 6 tanks before one finally stuck around. The first one complained about the dungeon, then seemed to go along with it, before immediately running around to draw as many mobs as possible to wipe us and then disconnected. The following 4 tanks just either silently and immediately left, or just went "Ewwww" and left.
I don't see what's so bad about it. It's not long or difficult. If you don't want to do a particular dungeon, then don't use the roulette.

I see Tataru decided to cough up the Firion card fairly quickly against me. Guess she knew I got real sick of her shit back in Coerthas Central when trying to get the Lightning card

FiraB

Banned
Last night we went through 6 tanks before one finally stuck around. The first one complained about the dungeon, then seemed to go along with it, before immediately running around to draw as many mobs as possible to wipe us and then disconnected. The following 4 tanks just either silently and immediately left, or just went "Ewwww" and left.
I don't see what's so bad about it. It's not long or difficult. If you don't want to do a particular dungeon, then don't use the roulette.

AV is just a shitty dungeon for most tanks, it's a great way to test if you tank is good or not.

ps4 version is very high graphical settings i think? it's very playable with ps4, plenty of people have cleared the hardest contents on it
PS4 verison is completely fine to play the game on.

Beating the hardest content using ps3? Now that is worthy of respect and I say that as someone who went from ps3 to ps4.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

What a lot of people don't realize is that like in Bismarck, the fight is about saving your cooldowns for vulnerability phases to maximize effectiveness. I've seen people running away from the boss as soon as a Liberation cast starts, resulting in several percent of damage lost; then they wonder how enrage happened. There really hasn't been anything like that in the 2.xx series, it used to be "do consistent DPS as much as you can while dodging a thing".

EriksBlue

Banned

You can play every class in the game on 1 character so thier is alot of room to figure out what you like. (ninja is unlocked at lvl 15 [need to do your base classes lvl 10-15 quest to get any other battle class] the newest jobs are only avalible after completing pre 3.0 story and hitting lvl 50). Just so you know its best to lvl Lancer to about 36ish to get the important big dps ability buffs that every dps should have. Classes best at dps atm could be nin, smn, drg and mnk.

as a tank, i never actually hated AV. it was a terrible dungeon at the beginning of 2.0 because people didn't know how to play. we often died to simple dodge mechanics or low dps.

i'm doing low roulette currently to level my dark knightflavourofthemonththing. i find it funny healers and dps bail 3 of 4 times when brayflox comes up :D brayflox the new pharros?

Teletraan1

Banned

I have no idea. It is a pretty easy dungeon. The only thing that is remotely troublesome in the entire dungeon is the not so telegraphed but still telegraphed move by the one boss where he looks at you and you have to move. Oh no, no big alert to move what to do? Or dropping stacks maybe? I used to hate getting it when everyone would leave after the first room. Use the party finder to make those runs instead of hijacking a DF group.

Oldsql

I´m leveling a Healer at the moment and hit level 20 today. Is it normal that tanks in low level dungeons can´t keep aggro of multiple mobs or was I just unlucky? When I start healing all the mobs (except the one the tank is attacking ) aggro me instantely. The only exception are dark knights.

I'm surprised it took until lv. 48 for me to end up being too low to continue the main quest, guess I'll go grind some fates or something.

Also, I take it back, FFXIV's implementation of Triple Triad is crap, too many un-fun affixes.

Ephesos

Neo Member
hi, i'm currently doing the arr-campaign. (as white mage, aero/stone-spam is not very entertaining -.- reminds me of the time when i leveled my holy-priest in Wow 10 years ago ...)

i assume i get to level 50 before finishing all pre-hw msq's. can i level past 50 before entering the hw-content? or are exp kinda wasted until i start the hw-part?

Valor

hi, i'm currently doing the arr-campaign. (as white mage, aero/stone-spam is not very entertaining -.- reminds me of the time when i leveled my holy-priest in Wow 10 years ago ...)

i assume i get to level 50 before finishing all pre-hw msq's. can i level past 50 before entering the hw-content? or are exp kinda wasted until i start the hw-part?

If you have heavensward you should be able to get exp for every quest leading into heavensward.

Bittercup

Do people usually rush leveling one class or divide them? I'm now lvl 19 Arcanist+lvl15 Conjurer+lvl 15 Culinarian+lvl 8 Fisherman. I doubt I'd start leveling any melee or such classes right now but should I join all the gatherer/crafting stuff and level them as I go or leave them for much later?

I found it interesting there are cross class skills too. Do the attributes you gain from leveling cross between classes?
Having a higher level class gives an exp bonus for leveling lower level classes. It's probably faster to not level all classes at the same time evenly.
But in general, I would just play how you prefer it. There's no such thing as wrong leveling.
Leveling the gathering and crafting classes is relatively time consuming. But once you join a grand company you can turn in daily crafting and gathering items for a lot of exp. If you plan to play as a crafter I would take all the classes and do at least the daily trade-ins. And I think you can get the first ~15 levels easily with items bought from the guild vendors.

No attributes are separate for each class (except Summoner/Scholar)

I´m leveling a Healer at the moment and hit level 20 today. Is it normal that tanks in low level dungeons can´t keep aggro of multiple mobs or was I just unlucky? When I start healing all the mobs (except the one the tank is attacking ) aggro me instantely. The only exception are dark knights.
Shouldn't be normal but I met a lot of tanks that were unaware that they had to use aoe aggro skills for groups. I usually just tell them in a friendly way to use the appropriate skill of their class.

OsirisBlack

Banned
gave up with ravana x today :<

Thok Ast Thok Extreme is easier than Limitless Blue extreme just get a party that dosnt mind repeated runs and have both your tanks soak up the damage from Ravanas moves. I have no clue why people send one tank down there making shit stressful on the healers.

Lagamorph

The bosses of Aurum Vale are the easiest part of it.
First and final boss, just wait until you've got 2-3 stacks of the debuff, then eat a Morbol fruit. By the time you get 2-3 stacks again, the fruit has respawned.

For the mid-boss, whenever he starts casting a long build-up ability, move away.

But to just leave without a word is an insanely shitty thing to do if you've ended up there from the roulette. If you don't like a particular dungeon, don't use the roulette, just queue up the ones you do like individually. Yeah, I know you can only pick 5, but tough. Either do the dungeon you're given by the roulette or don't risk getting one you don't like and ending up wasting other people's time.

Ayumi

Heavensward |OT| Nothing can really be interesting anymore.

I don't think we have anyone here in Lamia and it's not an oft-spoken about server so no clue how it is.
If you don't know anyone on Lamia specifically that you wanna play with, I highly suggest you come to Ultros. There are TONS of GAF members from all around the world, so the FC is always active!

Nothing from the 14 days trial will carry over to the real version if you buy it (except your account info, like username+password etc) so it doesn't really matter which server you do the trial at.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Why does this Neverreap final boss have so much health? Arghhh. I actually like the mechanics but it takes forever :(

sora87

How long does it take for these annoying "world is not accepting any more new characters" restrictions to piss off? I wanna play with my friends :(

How long does it take for these annoying "world is not accepting any more new characters" restrictions to piss off? I wanna play with my friends :(

I spent about 2 hours originally getting onto Phoenix to play with my friends. This was before Heavensward. So yeah, just be patient.

Omni

If you don't know anyone on Lamia specifically that you wanna play with, I highly suggest you come to Ultros. There are TONS of GAF members from all around the world, so the FC is always active!

Nothing from the 14 days trial will carry over to the real version if you buy it (except your account info, like username+password etc) so it doesn't really matter which server you do the trial at.
Wait! I was told that I my progress wouldn't reset if I decide to buy the game after the trial period. Am I just wasting my time then playing then? >.<

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Huh? According to the official info, characters can be transferred to the full version:
Will I be able to transfer my characters from the Free Trial over to the full version?

Yes, your Free Trial characters can be transferred after upgrading to the full version of the game by following the steps below:
* You must upgrade to the full version within 90 days after your Free Trial ends to guarantee that your character data is transferred.
* The steps for upgrading to the full version are different depending on if you are upgrading to PC, or to PS3&#8482;/PS4&#8482;
Official source

Top Bottom