• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Kenai

I literally spent an hour last night on the character creation screen, haha. I want to make a tankish character (still deciding between warrior and paladin long term), and was looking at the different race statistics and how they would support.

I first settled on a Roe Sea Wolf, but once I actually arrived in game they looked absurdly large. I don't have anything to compare the scale to other than a few NPCs I interacted with...how massive are they when in an actual party setting? I suppose there might even be some value added when they are fully armored up and look like an actual tank, but at level 1 it's hard to tell.

Next I tried out the Hyur Highlander and they seemed to be more to scale of what I'm looking for. Not too massive, not too tiny, with the bonus of having a stellar gray beard. I think the Highlander might have the added bonus of not looking completely absurd if I try out several different classes with him, since I can't see a Roe as a stealthy ninja type character.

Does anyone have a link to example pictures of what different races look like in end game armor?

Proud Hellsguard here!

If you watch the 1.0 opening CS u can get a feel for different character sizes next to each other since they have a least one of everything sans Au Ra.. Big Roes are enormous but short Roes are comparable to taller Highlanders (with more muscle of course).

Between the various sliders for tallness and the clan aesthetic differences you really have a lot of options no matter what you pick.

In every single instance of the character being represented in game they use your actual character model, its only in the promotional material that they use Johnny Generic to represent the player. It seems like quite a stretch for Johnny Generic to be used as a stand in for the character when in literally every other instance they just use the character.

I am telling all of ya...

Ark Angels redux. It works almost too well, use the evil twins of the entire party from the opening ARR CS and add in an Au Ra for complete race representation + the player character's evil twin or an Ascian or Minfillevil or w/e and instant 8 vs 8 epic showdown

Why do people hate Aurum Vale so much?
Last night we went through 6 tanks before one finally stuck around. The first one complained about the dungeon, then seemed to go along with it, before immediately running around to draw as many mobs as possible to wipe us and then disconnected. The following 4 tanks just either silently and immediately left, or just went "Ewwww" and left.
I don't see what's so bad about it. It's not long or difficult. If you don't want to do a particular dungeon, then don't use the roulette.

I used to hate is so much because of the stupid boss autokilling Eos over and over again because of the stupid fruit debuff being on them. Now, it's because it synchs you to 49 and it's just a long boring dungeon full of annoying monsters while you are stuck at 49.

Powered through and got my MRD from 18 to 33 (WAR) today. Wish I had leveled WAR sooner, it's a blast to play. Definitely a refreshing change from PLD.

I'll go DRK after I do DRG (which I'm doing after WAR) to finish the tank trifecta.

Neku054

Neo Member
So I decided to start this up finally. How good is Ultros for new people? I imagine most people in the Gaf company on Ultors are pretty high level, but would I be able to find ppl to play with?

Start this up as in new to the game? or just making a new character on ultros. if its the latter then i would imagine they would have a few people working on leveling atm, just an assumption from lurking throught out the thread, lots of new players to the game (I'm not in ultros server) If its the former then would you like a recruitment code or already have one in place? :p

Recruitment code is FYDB5UBG if anyone needs one.

I am not in dire need (i have a recruited friend with 240 days subbed so 20 gold feathers soon) but i want both mounts so i need atleast 25 gold feathers :p

Wazzy

Banned
I'll be reactivating my account again soon. I played Triple Triad on my friends and got addicted so I pretty much have to rejoin.

So I decided to start this up finally. How good is Ultros for new people? I imagine most people in the Gaf company on Ultors are pretty high level, but would I be able to find ppl to play with?

It's fine. I'm a new player, going through the main quest for the first time right now, and I've rarely waited more than five minutes to be matched with a party for any story dungeons. Waiting at all is rare, it usually finds me a group in a minute or less. There are a lot of new people and a lot of veterans leveling alt classes. It's definitely a great time to start.

Qvoth

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2015/3463.html
Moogles will play a large role, as players might have discovered.

qHt8aM6.jpg

it's never over ; ;

JTripper

I've been wanting to play this and with all the great reviews of Heavensward I'm thinking of getting it on PS4, but I don't like the subscription fee.

Is it worth getting the $60 Realm Reborn/Heavensward Bundle as a person who's never played XIV before? I know it comes with a free month as well.

Qvoth

I've been wanting to play this and with all the great reviews of Heavensward I'm thinking of getting it on PS4, but I don't like the subscription fee.

Is it worth getting the $60 Realm Reborn/Heavensward Bundle as a person who's never played XIV before? I know it comes with a free month as well.

there's a free trial, no reason why you shouldn't use it 1st
keep in mind the level is capped at 20, and i think it's fair to say the game opens up at 50

Why do people hate Aurum Vale so much?
Last night we went through 6 tanks before one finally stuck around. The first one complained about the dungeon, then seemed to go along with it, before immediately running around to draw as many mobs as possible to wipe us and then disconnected. The following 4 tanks just either silently and immediately left, or just went "Ewwww" and left.
I don't see what's so bad about it. It's not long or difficult. If you don't want to do a particular dungeon, then don't use the roulette.

I really hate healing in this one. Its just so annoying with the fruit crap. I usually just leave if I get it through a roulette.

Forming a PS4 raid static group for the upcoming Alex normal and savage raid. That is, if I can get enough people. On the Ultros server and in the GAF FC. So if you're interested, send me a message. No Mumble or TeamSpeak required (we'll just use Party chat instead lol)

PSN: Lazykarl24

We'll discuss raid times when fast as possible

Arkeband

Banned
Gathering at 60 is kind of a drag.

In fact I'm really not enjoying crafting or gathering post-60, especially now that my leves ran out.

I'm also stuck at ~80 BSM desynth and the only way to get things to desynth is to spam hard modes and win rolls against 8 other people spamming greed.

SIGH.

Aselith

Gathering at 60 is kind of a drag.

In fact I'm really not enjoying crafting or gathering post-60, especially now that my leves ran out.

I'm also stuck at ~80 BSM desynth and the only way to get things to desynth is to spam hard modes and win rolls against 8 other people spamming greed.

SIGH.

I'm having the most fun running up the score on my gil counter. This expansion has done wonders for my pocketbook lol

TheMink

Ill reiterate, i have an atma weapon should i homd onto to it and spend my poetics on gear? Or should I upgrade my weapon?

Bittercup

How is crafting at level 60?
I play FFXIV very casually and crafting was the thing I enjoyed the most during leveling but I was a bit disappointed at level 50.
Making HQ versions of their sets was fun but afterwards without master recipes there was hardly anything nice to craft. All the casual and nice looking clothing were high end items and to get better equipment and recipes you had to meld your equipment.
I really don't like the materia system especially not overmelding. Random chances are always annoying and it's just a huge money sink with those prices on the market board.
And I never had enough money for anything. I'm not a hardcore crafter, I just like to build things :D
How's this at level 60? I don't mind grinding (with gathering/crafting) to improve my crafting equipment over time but I hope materia won't be as crucial again or in general not such as steep curve for improvement once you hit 50.
I'm not really enjoying the addon so far. I don't like questing in the new zones and crafting is the primary thing I'm looking forward to, but if it's just the same as level 50 I'll probably rather take a break.

So just sit on the poetics then? Ill get better when i start Heavensward? (Im just starting the ice queen now it seems, damn me for postponing this!)

Poetic gear is 120. That will last you well through the 2.x content, until you reach heavensward, and then to about lvl55, when you reach the third story dungeon where the item level from drops are 130. Spend you poetics now. Weapon first preferably.

Wilsongt

Ill reiterate, i have an atma weapon should i homd onto to it and spend my poetics on gear? Or should I upgrade my weapon?

No need to spend it on gear as they game starts throwing it at you after almost every quest in 3.0.

You can probably go with the Ironworks Daggers and they will last you well up to 55 - 56.

Edit:

I've been leveling up mining doing leves and collectables... I forgot how much I like mining.

Also, when doing collectables it's like everyone is a vulture. On their mount circling the area where the nodes are until they pop, then diving into like dead prey.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That soundtrack, huh.

I must say I'm kinda irked how we went from a mystery behind the earth-shattering cataclysm to... well, goblins.

Tabris

Wow, I don't like the theme of any of that there. Steam machines? Weird music? Really ugly armour. Boring looking bosses (well the 1 boss I saw)

Item Box

Soundtrack fits the theme, but what I heard so far isnt selling me on it. Every other track added to 3.0 has been on point so we'll see.

chrono01

Also damn is this where y'all OP TC players have been?
Welcome back to FFXIV, Wazzy. Even if you're just joining to play Triple Triad [try the other stuff too, it's incredible]. :)

Oh, and I still frequent the OP TC thread, although not as much as in the past since the events are pretty slow going right now. Well that and I've been addicted to Heavensward. I still play daily, however, and always burn my stamina. I cannot waste it!

Kitoro

Was gonna spend my weekend playing Heavensward with my fiancee. Bought the expansion, went to register it aaaaand

The software token on my phone decided to reset (wants me to register it again), I don't have my removal password to fix it, and can't play til during the school week when SE Support is working again.

=(

That's scary. I thought getting rid of my token and moving to the app version would rid me of such dangers. I never appeared to get a removal password for my app token. Any idea how to go about doing that before I suffer a similar fate? Thanks!

fedexpeon

Banned
Good god, those plate sets look bad.
I am sad that PLD is dead in the preview but the DRK awareness will increase after this video due to how badass that Greatsword looks.

Top Bottom