• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

sora87

I spent about 2 hours originally getting onto Phoenix to play with my friends. This was before Heavensward. So yeah, just be patient.

Looks like they're updating it every few hours on the lodestone, next update is 8pm :/ I'm not playing any time soon then...

I literally spent an hour last night on the character creation screen, haha. I want to make a tankish character (still deciding between warrior and paladin long term), and was looking at the different race statistics and how they would support.

I first settled on a Roe Sea Wolf, but once I actually arrived in game they looked absurdly large. I don't have anything to compare the scale to other than a few NPCs I interacted with...how massive are they when in an actual party setting? I suppose there might even be some value added when they are fully armored up and look like an actual tank, but at level 1 it's hard to tell.

Next I tried out the Hyur Highlander and they seemed to be more to scale of what I'm looking for. Not too massive, not too tiny, with the bonus of having a stellar gray beard. I think the Highlander might have the added bonus of not looking completely absurd if I try out several different classes with him, since I can't see a Roe as a stealthy ninja type character.

Does anyone have a link to example pictures of what different races look like in end game armor?

sora87

In the character creation screen once you pick a job you can click the Job Attire option at the bottom and it shows you what your char will look like in high end armor

barit

I´m leveling a Healer at the moment and hit level 20 today. Is it normal that tanks in low level dungeons can´t keep aggro of multiple mobs or was I just unlucky? When I start healing all the mobs (except the one the tank is attacking ) aggro me instantely. The only exception are dark knights.

Most tanks must be reminded to spam <Blend> as much as possible and then there should be no prob with heal aggro anymore.At low level some newbie tanks thinking DPS is the only way to hold aggro but that's wrong

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Missing as a healer in Lv50 dungeons because gear now hasn't even a little accuracy sucks. What were you thinking, Yoshida?

Kwixotik

Was gonna spend my weekend playing Heavensward with my fiancee. Bought the expansion, went to register it aaaaand

The software token on my phone decided to reset (wants me to register it again), I don't have my removal password to fix it, and can't play til during the school week when SE Support is working again.

=(

Hasney

Ughhhhh, why an I addicted to the hunt and gear grind this time? There goes 12 hours of a day.

Was gonna spend my weekend playing Heavensward with my fiancee. Bought the expansion, went to register it aaaaand

The software token on my phone decided to reset (wants me to register it again), I don't have my removal password to fix it, and can't play til during the school week when SE Support is working again.

=(

That phone token goes wrong so many times, write it down somewhere.

fedexpeon

Banned
Thok Ast Thok Extreme is easier than Limitless Blue extreme just get a party that dosnt mind repeated runs and have both your tanks soak up the damage from Ravanas moves. I have no clue why people send one tank down there making shit stressful on the healers.

Yeah, I have no idea too.
A Warr will have enough HP and def in his DPS stance to soak the damage while doing 1K dps...I mean why the hell do people make thing harder by adding another dps instead that can potentially do 1-1.5k dps depending on class and even less due to positional parry and AOE.
I have heard some pally/drk can achieve 1k dps with ease as well.

The look quality of the regular dungeon and some of the level 58 crafted armor this time is crazy good.

dace16fddb6b6eea66cd6f0e3f6cb07e0db0160c.jpg

Kudo

Can you make a Miqote character that looks like her?
What a divine sight.

Also love Tatarus outfit changing at the Forgotten Knight while you progress the main quest line, it changes few times from what I've seen and she waves to you when you enter the tavern, crazy details

If I should spoiler either picture let me know and I'll try to ASAP, in case someone thinks these are spoilers.

Adaren

Just started playing with my boyfriend. Enjoying it quite a bit so far!

Questions:

1. Can you disable floating combat text for others? Or make your own numbers more visible somehow.

2. Is there a way to change tab target cycling to closest-farthest, instead of the crazy closest-then-left-to-right it is by default?

3. Is there a way to macro/enable something similar to WoW's /startattack? So that if you hit an offensive skill and you aren't targetting anything, it'll tab to the closest enemy. I don't like having to hit tab after every enemy dies.

4. Can someone explain Spiritbonding again? I've got some convertible 100% bonded gear, but I don't know how to convert it.

Thanks!

Ken

Questions:

1. Can you disable floating combat text for others? Or make your own numbers more visible somehow.

2. Is there a way to change tab target cycling to closest-farthest, instead of the crazy closest-then-left-to-right it is by default?

3. Is there a way to macro/enable something similar to WoW's /startattack? So that if you hit an offensive skill and you aren't targetting anything, it'll tab to the closest enemy. I don't like having to hit tab after every enemy dies.

4. Can someone explain Spiritbonding again? I've got some convertible 100% bonded gear, but I don't know how to convert it.

Thanks!

1. You can enlarge your numbers and floating text in the options somewhere.

3. Think it does that by default but I do recall a setting on the first page of character configure for that.

4. Right click the item and convert. Greens and blues can't be converted.

Kadin

Pretty simply question here: How is the controller support on the PC version? Just started back up yesterday and have yet to try getting the controller configured. Is there much to it or does it work pretty easily right out of the gate?

The main concerns here are using multiple abilities and properly switching targets - stuff like that.

Ken

Pretty simply question here: How is the controller support on the PC version? Just started back up yesterday and have yet to try getting the controller configured. Is there much to it or does it work pretty easily right out of the gate?

The main concerns here are using multiple abilities and properly switching targets - stuff like that.

Controller works well. Don't know much about the process to connect one to a PC though.

Hasney

Controllers work great when you flick the switch in the config. Look at your targeting settings though, like I have it so I can only target enemies when my weapon is drawn.

Also look in config for the setting that means you can get an extra hotbar when pulling the two triggers.

Kadin

Controllers work great when you flick the switch in the config. Look at your targeting settings though, like I have it so I can only target enemies when my weapon is drawn.

Also look in config for the setting that means you can get an extra hotbar when pulling the two triggers.
Ah okay. I might have missed it but I couldn't find a section to specify keyboard shortcuts and I certainly didn't see anything like that for the controller when I looked briefly. Hoping they're there somewhere.

Xbox controller is the easiest, but I personally use a Wii U Pro with an adapter. It lasts forever and feels a lot more comfortable than Xbox/DS4.

I've been playing with a controller since 1.0 alpha and all throughout FFXI's lifetime. The game is most certainly playable, even at the highest level, with a controller. You just have to find a good button/crossbar setup that works for you.

I used to switch between two crossbars back when I tanked coil on PLD. Never had any issues. Now I use the L2->R2/R2->L2 system so I never have to switch. Works great. I put high cooldowns abilities or stance switches on those bars and utilize a normal KB hotbar to show the cooldowns so I don't have to check them constantly.

Hasney

Ah okay. I might have missed it but I couldn't find a section to specify keyboard shortcuts and I certainly didn't see anything like that for the controller when I looked briefly. Hoping they're there somewhere.

The settings do change when you flick the switch on the config window, customising the hotbars is easy too.

Aselith

Works as well as on consoles. You switch targets with the directional pad so it's pretty easy. Clicking isfaster though so Mouse tends to have an edge imo. Personally, I use the controller support for mining and keyboard for other stuff.

If you're using controller, you can go to Character Configuration > Hotbars > Cross tab to enable the cross barset up for the controller to use skills.

Eldren

I got from 55 to 58 just by doing the story quests up to The Vault (haven't done it yet) and grinding The Aery for the machinist body piece. I still haven't seen it drop, and yet more often than not the same item drops multiple times throughout the dungeon. Back to the grind tomorrow then...

I'm a dumbass and bought FFXIV+Heavensward on Steam even though I already own the base game. Am I able to give the vanilla cd key to a friend?

Adaren

Questions:

Thanks!

1. You can enlarge your numbers and floating text in the options somewhere.

3. Think it does that by default but I do recall a setting on the first page of character configure for that.

4. Right click the item and convert. Greens and blues can't be converted.

1. I found the option, but it looks like it affects all Floating Text, not just my own. :| Is there a way to increase the size of just mine?

2. Question still open!

3. I haven't been able to get this to trigger. "Enable auto-target when no target is specified" sounds like what I want, but it isn't happening. The only way to target the next monster in a pack is by hitting tab or letting the monster hit me.

4. I learned that I need to complete a quest for the option to show up, so that's why I couldn't find it!

Kadin

The settings do change when you flick the switch on the config window, customising the hotbars is easy too.

Works as well as on consoles. You switch targets with the directional pad so it's pretty easy. Clicking isfaster though so Mouse tends to have an edge imo. Personally, I use the controller support for mining and keyboard for other stuff.

If you're using controller, you can go to Character Configuration > Hotbars > Cross tab to enable the cross barset up for the controller to use skills.
Thanks guys. Gonna log in in a few and try to get this set up. Don't mind playing with kb/m but a controller would be nicer as I got some mild carpel tunnel issues right now.

Guess Who

Banned
Also, the fight is shit and boring anyways. Its just gimmicks and adds. Ravana was SO much better.

I spent the whole fight wondering "when is the add phase gonna be over so we can actually fight the
giant skywhale
?" And then it never happened and the fight was over. Huge buzzkill.

So I decided to start this up finally. How good is Ultros for new people? I imagine most people in the Gaf company on Ultors are pretty high level, but would I be able to find ppl to play with?

Jeels

Anyone have pictures of the vault gear? I haven't seen any body pieces drop after a few runs and I was curious how they look.

dcye

7-man seeing how fast we can try to kill old stuff parties are the funnest thing in the game right now. Especially with how badly you can break fights. In Ramuh we spanwed adds and they instantly despawned and Ramuh destroyed us haha.

I kind of wish they had more jobs that shared the same base class like Summoner/Scholar.

In the sense that people would get more roles to play without having to level up more classes (if they like the second job enough).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I am actually liking Dark Knight more then Warrior. More thinking is involved.

And I have a mix of attacks and utility in the way of buffing myself to be awesome.

And I can heal myself for about 400 HP every 5 seconds so yay I guess.

Alongside inflicting cool status effects like blind.

---------------------------

Considering switching to Mouse/Keyboard controls. Gamepad is very limiting only having 16 actions available to you at once and I don't want to cycle through different sets. Unless I am missing something.

Zomba13

I am actually liking Dark Knight more then Warrior. More thinking is involved.

And I have a mix of attacks and utility in the way of buffing myself to be awesome.

And I can heal myself for about 400 HP every 5 seconds so yay I guess.

Alongside inflicting cool status effects like blind.

---------------------------

Considering switching to Mouse/Keyboard controls. Gamepad is very limiting only having 16 actions available to you at once and I don't want to cycle through different sets. Unless I am missing something.

Go into Character Settings > Hotbar Settings > Cross > Enable Expanded Controls

Now you have 16 more hotkeys to use, 8 on L2 then R2 and 8 on R2 then L2.

Armaros

7-man seeing how fast we can try to kill old stuff parties are the funnest thing in the game right now. Especially with how badly you can break fights. In Ramuh we spanwed adds and they instantly despawned and Ramuh destroyed us haha.

Sorta like dying instantly in haukke hm when you dps the last boss to hard so she instantly sacrifices the mobs at full health.

Top Bottom