• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Jayhawk

I don't know, TT is my game. I adore it.

Only got my Dragoon to 50 LOL

Also damn is this where y'all OP TC players have been?

I only log on every day to OP TC to get the freebie. :( Been missing out on barrel events!

Dragoon is top DPS now, so get going.

Dandte

I don't know, TT is my game. I adore it.

Only got my Dragoon to 50 LOL

Also damn is this where y'all OP TC players have been?
Have fun trying to get the cards you want. Drop Rates are sometimes more worse than the Chance of Maxing merry >.<

WolvenOne

Finally starting to feel a bit excited over doing Alexander. I mean, it doesn't really have the save gravitas as Coil, at least according to this trailer, but it looks FUN!

For context, going into Coil, felt dangerous, otherworldly, and rather epic. Alexander looks to be more an cool/fun sort of epic. XD

Looks great, shame I'll likely never do it :(

Don't you know? There'll be two versions of Alexander, Normal and Savage. Normal should be accessible to most players, maybe not farmable but doable enough.

I only log on every day to OP TC to get the freebie. :( Been missing out on barrel events!

I've seen more terrible Dragoons in the last few days than I have in the last 2 years lol.

Ran Stone Vigil as MCH and the Dragoon never used Heavy Thrust, had to be prodded to use LBs--and on further inspection was wearing MND accessories for some reason...

Obviously not representative of the job itself, but people of various skill levels tend to drift toward the flavor of the month-_-

I leveled up 60 yesterday with my WAR, unlocked the new dungeons and... god why the enemies hit so hard ? :'(
Only 154 ilvl and the healers are screaming and crying when I tank x)

Reknoc

Finally starting to feel a bit excited over doing Alexander. I mean, it doesn't really have the save gravitas as Coil, at least according to this trailer, but it looks FUN!

For context, going into Coil, felt dangerous, otherworldly, and rather epic. Alexander looks to be more an cool/fun sort of epic. XD

Don't you know? There'll be two versions of Alexander, Normal and Savage. Normal should be accessible to most players, maybe not farmable but doable enough.

There was two versions of coil and I never did any of those either! This looks great though so I might be more inclined to jump on DF when it opens up for that.

chrono01

There was two versions of coil and I never did any of those either! This looks great though so I might be more inclined to jump on DF when it opens up for that.
The standard version of Coil won't be nearly the same difficulty as Normal Alexander. Normal Alexander will apparently be easier than Coil with Savage Alexander being at/near the standard difficulty of the previous Coil [maybe a bit more difficult?].

So if you couldn't complete Normal Coil from 2.0, you should still be fine to complete Normal Alexander. They're making it a lot more accessible to the more casual crowd than Coil was, which is a nice thing to see considering how integral Coil was to the main story. I feel bad for those that missed out on it. :(

Ayumi

Maintenance starts in 11 hours, right?

Jul. 6, 2015 11:00 p.m. to Jul. 7, 2015 3:00 a.m. (PDT)

I'm so confused about time zones, even when checking a converter. lol
That's pretty long maintenance. :<

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

23 hours from now is when it starts.

That's 2am EST. So essentially it starts in a little less than 23

chrono01

It starts in just under 23 hours, actually. 22 hours, 49 minutes from this post.

Reknoc

Yeah, but Alexander Normal will be easier than Coil.

The standard version of Coil won't be nearly the same difficulty as Normal Alexander. Normal Alexander will apparently be easier than Coil with Savage Alexander being at/near the standard difficulty of the previous Coil [maybe a bit more difficult?].

So if you couldn't complete Normal Coil from 2.0, you should still be fine to complete Normal Alexander. They're making it a lot more accessible to the more casual crowd than Coil was, which is a nice thing to see considering how integral Coil was to the main story. I feel bad for those that missed out on it. :(

Ohh okay that sounds great (or bad depending on your view). Thank you YoshiP for catering to bads like me.

Got Bismarck EX down and won the weapon...the PLD sword and shield. XD

At least when my Paladin is leveled I'll have a pretty good head start.

Wazzy

Banned
Welcome back to FFXIV, Wazzy. Even if you're just joining to play Triple Triad [try the other stuff too, it's incredible]. :)

Oh, and I still frequent the OP TC thread, although not as much as in the past since the events are pretty slow going right now. Well that and I've been addicted to Heavensward. I still play daily, however, and always burn my stamina. I cannot waste it!
OP has felt so dead lately that even BB has barely gone anywhere for people xD

I'll def play other aspects but TT is my main attraction bringing me back!

Oohh nice! Guess I'll have to start levelling up in the new expansion then once I've bought it.
Have fun trying to get the cards you want. Drop Rates are sometimes more worse than the Chance of Maxing merry >.<
Hah well at least I'm getting a fun game out of the bad drop rates. :p

glaurung

Had to get up at 4 AM to create a new character on Cerberus. Damn character creation restrictions.

Anyhow, archer/machinist hornmonster here I come.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I been a Bard for 2 years and I like Supporting Classes so with that in mind I picked up the Astrologian as my 2nd Main Class and I have to say it's almost criminal how fast Duty Finder Queues are for Healers compared to DPS classes.

:mad:

Reknoc

Suddenly dance club music breaks out
At least the gobbies know how to partay
Also gobbie tachikomas

what if alaxander is just a gobbie disco robot and they're about to travel the world bringing the funk to everyone, picking up their vanu vanu brahs on the way. then some nobhead adventurers come and break everything.

what if the music is dynamic and when you go down the slide to the boss, or whatever it lead to, the music set up a sick bass drop.

Lanrutcon

I been a Bard for 2 years and I like Supporting Classes so with that in mind I picked up the Astrologian as my 2nd Main Class and I have to say it's almost criminal how fast Duty Finder Queues are for Healers compared to DPS classes.

:mad:

Every mmo is like that.

Except the ones which ditch the holy trinity and think they can get away with it.

I've just finished the MSQ and have a story question to those who have completed Final Coil before Heavensward:

Does the conversation with Tiamat make any reference to Coil at all
?

dcye

Hah well at least I'm getting a fun game out of the bad drop rates. :p

Random/Roulette against your opponent who has 6 cards that break your deck restrictions pls look forward to it.

They've fucked TT so badly in this patch I can't honestly believe it. No deck upgrade, nearly every npc has a combination of random, chaos and roulette, drop rates are insanely low and they made it nearly impossible to get anything from the tournaments unless you win trade or buy wins. gg.

Ken

CIgCwYnUEAAVuRq.jpg:orig

I'll never look at Astros the same again.

Zomba13

Random/Roulette against your opponent who has 6 cards that break your deck restrictions pls look forward to it.

They've fucked TT so badly in this patch I can't honestly believe it. No deck upgrade, nearly every npc has a combination of random, chaos and roulette, drop rates are insanely low and they made it nearly impossible to get anything from the tournaments unless you win trade or buy wins. gg.

Yup. TT from top to bottom was destroyed in HW. They took a fun little time waster that had benefits to playing and collecting and turned it into shit where there is no point getting newer cards. Super low drop rates make the rare wins you can get against the new opponents super frustrating when you don't get a card, the common rules make it near impossible to win consistently due to you getting handicapped with a random deck while your opponent uses their rule breaking deck, no deck upgrade makes it so you can't even get on an equal footing with them even if you get 90 cards AND they nerfed the NPC tournament points further ensuring that match fixing in the TT tournaments is the only way to place on top.

Now, I'm no game developer and don't have the skills to fix it but I believe there are some very simple fixes that have been overlooked.

-If you don't want 90+ card decks to be 4x4* and 1x5* then how about it lets you have 3x3*, 1x4* and 1x5*? That way it's an upgrade but not too OP

-Get rid of the Random rule for NPCs or at least balance it so they pick from a pool as big and as varied as yours. It's bullshit to be given a full 1* deck against NPCs playing with much stronger cards

-Put the TT Tournament NPCs points back to how they were and expand it beyond the Gold Saucer giving players a reason to travel and play TT against harder opponents that offer more points. Risk/reward and all that.

-Make a TT DF like thing like how Chocobo racing has it so we can play against human players that way instead of having to /sh for randoms

-Make it so you can only play against a player once (or limited times) per tournament. This would stop people using alt accounts to grind to the top of the leader board every single tournament.

- If a DF was implemented make it the only way to play in a tournament. That would stop people from buy wins and from going against alts. If it can't find an opponent then you go against a "random" NPC.

Or, you know, what will actually happen:
-All NPCs now give 1 Tournament point
-All NPCs now permanently have the Random rule
-NPCs only drop cards on the 100th win.
-Cards no longer drop from non-TT opponents
-Fuck you for wanting TT, wait till 3.51 where Tetra Master is brought in

The WAR axe and DRK greatsword look like the glass weapons from The Elder Scrolls.

The best looking post-50 WAR axe is ironically this random level 56 leveling weapon I got from a sidequest.

Ayumi

When confused, checking Japanese Lodestone is the fastest way. 99% of those maintenances happen for all servers, so notices from any region work.
Thank you! I prefer to set my game clients to English to keep up with all the English in-game terms. :3 So I guess it gives me the NA site. Will bookmark this though!

----

Finally catching up with the MSQs.. was dumb enough to do side quests (because I couldn't tell the difference at the time). So now I'm levels behind with getting my Chocobro. :<

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thank you! I prefer to set my game clients to English to keep up with all the English in-game terms. :3 So I guess it gives me the NA site. Will bookmark this though!
I'm playing in English as well - I switched soon after 2.0 came out because the writing in the Japanese version was very "dry" and I loved the English localization.

That said, this means that I'm getting all the date/time notifications for English speaking timezones, which is annoying.

Other big problem which only happens if you're playing in English on a Japanese speaking server is that macro explanations before/during extreme primals/coil in the party/duty finder have Japanese names for attacks, so it can get very confusing and I sometimes have to switch my client to Japanese or at least watch a tutorial video made by a Japanese player (the tactics are sometimes a bit different, so relying on English videos might lead to a wipe).

Ayumi

I'm playing in English as well - I switched soon after 2.0 came out because the writing in the Japanese version was very "dry" and I loved the English localization.

That said, this means that I'm getting all the date/time notifications for English speaking timezones, which is annoying.

Other big problem which only happens if you're playing in English on a Japanese speaking server is that macro explanations before/during extreme primals/coil in the party/duty finder have Japanese names for attacks, so it can get very confusing and I sometimes have to switch my client to Japanese or at least watch a tutorial video made by a Japanese player (the tactics are sometimes a bit different, so relying on English videos might lead to a wipe).

The Japanese version is pretty much just 30% English and 70% katakana (aside from map locations and quest names). So not much point.. I play on NA (even my Japanese friends are there) and I decided it was better to just learn the English names and knowing what people are talking about if they're not directly linking stuff.

And oh, I didn't know that. D:
I just thought everything was localized? But I'm still new and leveling, so I don't really knowing what coil stuff you're talking about yet. :3

That being said, I did hear that the Japanese communities are better (unsurprisingly) in terms of politeness. I haven't been annoyed by the English community yet though! Did you try to play on both, so are you able to compare them?

Apoptomon

HOSHFON NOOOOOO!
< Level 57 spoilers
Seriously, that scene was really impactful; I ran the vault yesterday and it's still in my mind today. Gonna miss that character, we should all wear revealing frippery in his honor.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That being said, I did hear that the Japanese communities are better (unsurprisingly) in terms of politeness. I haven't been annoyed by the English community yet though! Did you try to play on both, so are you able to compare them?
I didn't play on an English speaking server, but if even half of the stories from gaf ff14 threads are true, Japanese servers are heaven.

I have yet to encounter people getting angry/being terrible players in dungeons, early pulling in mob hunts etc. I think I've seen 1 ragequit since 2.0 came out, RMT spam was pretty mild end lasted for maybe 2 first weeks and the ping is okay for most of the time.

I've also been able to clear most extreme primals with party finder groups and the last turn of final coil with a duty finder group, which seems to be quite a feat.

So just sit on the poetics then? Ill get better when i start Heavensward? (Im just starting the ice queen now it seems, damn me for postponing this!)

If you have enough, they could last you till around 54. Then the game will throw HQ equipment at you that will be worth changing. That being said, I had upgraded poetics.

One thing I realized is that the races in XIV are pretty boring. They are basically all humans of different sizes, tails and cat/elf ears.

You know those brown rat peddler people? I wanna play as those guys! Maybe it's just the Horde in me talking.

kurohana

I've also been able to clear most extreme primals with party finder groups and the last turn of final coil with a duty finder group, which seems to be quite a feat.
I'm actually curious how often these result in a clear, specifically something like t13. Felix, Haman, Korra and I went in half premade (Felix was on Conjurer and Haman on Lancer for funsies) and we oneshot it, although the others seemed to mostly have cleared as well.

We had way more that resulted in failure, though Felix's Conjurer has the dreadwyrm staff and robe I believe, so we got a few clears. If you've done t13 a bit in the JP DF, how often did they clear it?

Zomba13

One thing I realized is that the races in XIV are pretty boring. They are basically all humans of different sizes, tails and cat/elf ears.

You know those brown rat peddler people? I wanna play as those guys! Maybe it's just the Horde in me talking.

Yeah they are kinda boring. In FFXI they were much less human. The Glaka (Roe in FFXIV) had tails and were asexual being that "gave birth" via reincarnation. The Tarutaru (Lalafell) were much more teddybear like, less small kids. The Mithra (miqote) were more cat like. The Elvaan and Hume (Elezen and Hyur) are mostly the same. Elvaan had longer necks I guess. Even the Au Ra (the new race made for FFXIV) look much more human than their concept art where they were either dragon/lizard people or demonic succubuses.

Would be cool if we could play as a Goblin or Moogle but then that is much more work needing unique battle animaitons and unique equipment models rather than just resizing existing models.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Hey Folks,

So as some of you may have noticed I have been recently added to the GAF roster.

I have been playing quite a lot in an attempt to get to the higher levels to be able to be more involved with the Free Company.

I was wondering, how do I go about requesting help, What am I allow to request, and other random questions like,

How exactly a Linkshell works, is it important?

I have been reading bits and pieces in the fourms etc.. but I am a more "Learn by doing" kind of player.

Also is this forum the best place to get to know fellow players or do we have a chat room ?

Sorry about all these questions :(

Hey Folks,

So as some of you may have noticed I have been recently added to the GAF roster.

I have been playing quite a lot in an attempt to get to the higher levels to be able to be more involved with the Free Company.

I was wondering, how do I go about requesting help, What am I allow to request, and other random questions like,

How exactly a Linkshell works, is it important?

I have been reading bits and pieces in the fourms etc.. but I am a more "Learn by doing" kind of player.

Also is this forum the best place to get to know fellow players or do we have a chat room ?

Sorry about all these questions :(

You can generally just ask in FC chat for help for most dungeons/trials etc, there's always someone new/levelling an alt character or class who is willing to go through lower levelled content.

Linkshells are smaller than FC's, you can have 8 and they are usually dedicated to different things (static groups, hunts, small group of friends that are in different FCs). You don't have to join any if you don't want to, it's really up to you.

Most of the chat happens in here, in game or on mumble with the GAF FC.

Noaksey

Neo Member
You can generally just ask in FC chat for help for most dungeons/trials etc, there's always someone new/levelling an alt character or class who is willing to go through lower levelled content.

Awesome, I'll try to be more chatting in the FC chat, I tend to see more people talking about raids, and higher level stuff. So don't want to annoy them.

When I get my next main quest dungeon run I'll ask for help (100% GAF run)

Linkshells are smaller than FC's, you can have 8 and they are usually dedicated to different things (static groups, hunts, small group of friends that are in different FCs). You don't have to join any if you don't want to, it's really up to you.

That's cool I wasn't sure and it wasn't very clear where I looked. Unless there is a Linkshell for low level Leveling help then I am unlikely to join one until the higher levels?

Most of the chat happens in here, in game or on mumble with the GAF FC.

I actually was on Mumble but I can't always use the MIC and Speaker so attempted to chat via text but no one responded..

Again might have to be more talkative :)

That's cool I wasn't sure and it wasn't very clear where I looked. Unless there is a Linkshell for low level Leveling help then I am unlikely to join one until the higher levels?

Low-level stuff doesn't really have that much in the way of dedicated communication since it's a pretty easy and straightforward process, and doesn't take that long in the grand scheme of things. Linkshells, and for the most part, FCs, are largely oriented around the endgame. It's worth stating that while this sounds daunting, your first 1-50 is actually only a very small part of the game, and it massively opens up after that. And there's Heavensward (51-60) on top of that.

I remember there was an party finder mentioning a low level help linkshell a while back but there's all sorts of them (for example on Ultros there are 76 linkshell with the word hunt in them haha).

It's just a matter of keeping your eye out on the party finder/official forums/ffxiv recruitment subreddit. Sometimes you'll get people shouting for linkshells or adding you to one after partying them for a bit (that's how I got my first hunt linkshell).

Top Bottom