• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Looking like it's hard for an Astrologian to find a static right now. :c They need to make some changes on that class, maybe? I don't know much about it. I sorta want to level it myself so I can understand them more.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Low-level stuff doesn't really have that much in the way of dedicated communication since it's a pretty easy and straightforward process, and doesn't take that long in the grand scheme of things. Linkshells, and for the most part, FCs, are largely oriented around the endgame. It's worth stating that while this sounds daunting, your first 1-50 is actually only a very small part of the game, and it massively opens up after that. And there's Heavensward (51-60) on top of that.

This is what I thought someone would say, I suppose I have joined at a largely DLC focused time. And I am playing catch-up.

I mean I am level 32 so in my mind I am not too far away from 50.. right?

Thank you for repling.

Fehyd

Banned
Looking like it's hard for an Astrologian to find a static right now. :c They need to make some changes on that class, maybe? I don't know much about it. I sorta want to level it myself so I can understand them more.

Best explanation ive heard is that Astros aren't really equipped to deal with someone screwing something up catastrophically. Comparatively when everything goes well they make it all easier with their buffs, but when things go bad, they don't really have that "OH CRAP" ability to steal one from the jaws of defeat like a WHM.

Noaksey

Neo Member
I remember there was an party finder mentioning a low level help linkshell a while back but there's all sorts of them (for example on Ultros there are 76 linkshell with the word hunt in them haha).

It's just a matter of keeping your eye out on the party finder/official forums/ffxiv recruitment subreddit. Sometimes you'll get people shouting for linkshells or adding you to one after partying them for a bit (that's how I got my first hunt linkshell).

TBH I have only partied with those running dungeons and then I never see them again. I tend to find because a lot of the main quest story line bit require me to be solo, I am having to break parties a lot!

I suppose that this changes later on because it's ruining partying for me.

grimmiq

This is what I thought someone would say, I suppose I have joined at a largely DLC focused time. And I am playing catch-up.

I mean I am level 32 so in my mind I am not too far away from 50.. right?

Thank you for repling.

Getting to 50 doesn't take long at all, but getting up to the expansion content requires completing a LOT of story quests at lvl50, luckily higher level players will still be doing that content thanks to the daily roulettes.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Getting to 50 doesn't take long at all, but getting up to the expansion content requires completing a LOT of story quests at lvl50, luckily higher level players will still be doing that content thanks to the daily roulettes.

If I was told focus on leveling my one and only job I could expect it to go faster, but I am trying to keep a consistant level of Jobs so like for example, Making sure I can craft armor and weapons for my main job,

meaning I am leveling Leatherworking, Blacksmithing, Weaver, Botanist, Miner, all at the same time.

I just tend to find that the market place items for my level are way to expensive. and I want to earn money to get my own room in the GAF House.

Maybe I am not focused enough ;)

grimmiq

If I was told focus on leveling my one and only job I could expect it to go faster, but I am trying to keep a consistant level of Jobs so like for example, Making sure I can craft armor and weapons for my main job,

meaning I am leveling Leatherworking, Blacksmithing, Weaver, Botanist, Miner, all at the same time.

I just tend to find that the market place items for my level are way to expensive. and I want to earn money to get my own room in the GAF House.

Unless you really focus on them, crafting is a bit of a money sink early on, gathering classes like miner/botanist are good to level, my suggestion would be to focus on your main combat class until you get higher level and start getting more gil from quests/leves.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Unless you really focus on them, crafting is a bit of a money sink early on, gathering classes like miner/botanist are good to level, my suggestion would be to focus on your main combat class until you get higher level and start getting more gil from quests/leves.

Roger that !,

I will start the Main Job focus tonight / soon.

Who knows how long it will take me..

Ken

Honestly, I'd say don't bother trying to level up crafts if it's just to make leveling gear. You go through levels at such a pace that'd if be a waste of time trying to update gear every few levels. If you want to though, go for it.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Honestly, I'd say don't bother trying to level up crafts if it's just to make leveling gear. You go through levels at such a pace that'd if be a waste of time trying to update gear every few levels. If you want to though, go for it.

In total honesty I just wanted to be useful and thought having leveled craftswould be of help to others..

I actually want to join in the fun, so will be refocusing my time.

Azzurri

Just don't tell me that :D

I like the music in the trailer, it sounds so JRPG.

Ken

In total honesty I just wanted to be useful and thought having leveled craftswould be of help to others..

I actually want to join in the fun, so will be refocusing my time.

Leveling crafts is helpful but people are usually seeking high/max level crafters for max level gear, vanity, or melds.

But like I said, if it's something you want to dedicate yourself to go for it.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Leveling crafts is helpful but people are usually seeking high/max level crafters for max level gear, vanity, or melds.

But like I said, if it's something you want to dedicate yourself to go for it.

what my current thought is to focus on Botanist/Miner 40% and WHM 60%

Ken

Are you keeping your avatar to remind yourself of better times.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm okay with Alex gear being kind of bland, considering they need to stretch that gold steampunk motif across at least three gear sets.

I just hope the DRG set has a /visor, or the helmet's getting turned off. I'm iffy on tridents, so far everything's been an enormous step back from the Relics of ARR.

oh so for me my Static would be WHM ?

Your static would be 7 other people.

Their classes can change and so can yours.

It's just raiding terminology from other MMO's.

Ken

I'm okay with Alex gear being kind of bland, considering they need to stretch that gold steampunk motif across at least three gear sets.

I just hope the DRG set has a /visor, or the helmet's getting turned off. I'm iffy on tridents, so far everything's been an enormous step back from the Relics of ARR.

Well, Dreadwyrm was a departure from Allagan stuff so we may be free from steampunk early!

I need better pictures or just the renders of the armor but I think the tin can of fending set is cool.

Those times may come back soon enough!

rip conch shells Au Ra

grimmiq

oh so for me my Static would be WHM ?

No, your WHM would be your main.

A static group would be

You (WHM)
Player 1 (SCH)
Player 2 (WAR)
Player 3 (DRK)
Player 4 (DRG)
Player 5 (BRD)
Player 6 (BLM)
Player 7 (SMN)

Static groups tend to be a full (or nearly full) group of players with jobs that complement eachother and allow you to get through content easily/quickly.

IvorB

If you have to move why would anyone switch to F1,F4,F1,F4 over F1, F4, F4, F1 considering its not only a DPS loss its slower to cast? Its also extremely disingenuous to categorise the reasonable comments people have made about the current BLM playstyle as people wanting a simplified cookie cutter approach (its also amusing because at the end of the day that is ultimately what both the old and new BLM rotation are). Of course one has to make decisions based on the flow of combat, but the current timing of the BLM rotation makes responding to those decisions unduly punishing, especially when you place it in context with the other DPS classes.

Well because if I had to try and do two Fire IVs in a row and I was interrupted and had to move for mechanics the strong likelihood is that I would lose my Astral 3 (either during the second Fire IV or directly after). Unless maybe you know a way that this can be avoided. The timings on the Astral Fire are pretty tight but I'm trying to work with them and choose what to cast based on that rather than force some ideal rotation that doesn't seem feasible with the way fights/skills are currently set up.

Wait... so that giant
goblin thing that appeared at the end of the story
is Alexander?

Ken

Well because if I had to try and do two Fire IVs in a row and I was interrupted and had to move for mechanics the strong likelihood is that I would lose my Astral 3 (either during the second Fire IV or directly after). Unless maybe you know a way that this can be avoided. The timings on the Astral Fire are pretty tight but I'm trying to work with them and chose what to cast based on that rather than force some ideal rotation that doesn't seem feasible with the way fights/skills are currently set up.

Wait... so that giant
goblin thing that appeared at the end of the story
is Alexander?

...yes. And I don't know if it's spoilers since they showed it in Live Letters ages ago. I think the very first Heavensward info dump included Alexander's appearance?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

A static group would be

You (WHM)
Player 1 (SCH)
Player 2 (WAR)
Player 3 (DRK)
Player 4 (DRG)
Player 5 (BRD)
Player 6 (BLM)
Player 7 (SMN)

Static groups tend to be a full (or nearly full) group of players with jobs that complement eachother and allow you to get through content easily/quickly.

Who would want a bard in their static?

Noaksey

Neo Member

A static group would be

You (WHM)
Player 1 (SCH)
Player 2 (WAR)
Player 3 (DRK)
Player 4 (DRG)
Player 5 (BRD)
Player 6 (BLM)
Player 7 (SMN)

OHHHH,

thanks for clearing that up for me :) - This looks really interesting :)

A static group would be

You (WHM)
Player 1 (SCH)
Player 2 (WAR)
Player 3 (DRK)
Player 4 (DRG)
P̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶ ̶5̶ ̶(̶B̶R̶D̶)̶
Player 6 (BLM)
Player 7 (SMN)

I think I fixed it!

Don't tell Pell.

dramatis

Yeah, this XIV Models website is exactly what I wanted.
XIV Models hasn't updated since 2.2 because few people used it for the amount of work they had to put into it. So it's only good for 2.0 to 2.2 stuff.

Can you make a Miqote character that looks like her?

What a divine sight.
I'm not too familiar with miquote models, but at first glance I thought it was photoshopped, given that the eyes are too big and creepy looking for the face size. If the NPC is in the game however, you can generally make the character in character creation. Such a sight, however, is not divine, but rather common. That miquote looks hideous.

aceface

XIV Models hasn't updated since 2.2 because few people used it for the amount of work they had to put into it. So it's only good for 2.0 to 2.2 stuff.

I'm not too familiar with miquote models, but at first glance I thought it was photoshopped, given that the eyes are too big and creepy looking for the face size. If the NPC is in the game however, you can generally make the character in character creation. Such a sight, however, is not divine, but rather common. That miquote looks hideous.

That's a child mi'qote that's in Idyllshire.

Ken

Kid Mi'qote face isn't possible in character creation. Same with the elderly NPCs that I know Drama really wants to be.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yo Puppy, how many people of our old static are back in business?

I think 4 of them are playing now. (Including me)
Pretty sure they have a new static though.

I'm hoping statics won't be needed for Alexander normal so I can pug it on my free time.

Reknoc

I'm not too familiar with miquote models, but at first glance I thought it was photoshopped, given that the eyes are too big and creepy looking for the face size. Such a sight, however, is not divine, but rather common. That miquote looks hideous.

Drama's thoughts on children.

Is a Bard really this bad?

I found playing bard fun, but I've not gotten the newer skills yet. Got White Mage (WHM) to 60 first, slowly working on Black Mage (BLM) now.

I also enjoy crafting/gathering but it is a real gil sink. I'm working on getting Miner to 60 on the side :D.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I found playing bard fun, but I've not gotten the newer skills yet. Got White Mage (WHM) to 60 first, slowly working on Black Mage (BLM) now.

I also enjoy crafting/gathering but it is a real gil sink. I'm working on getting Miner to 60 on the side :D.

The new skills are where SE took a steaming dump on bard players.

Rektash

I think 4 of them are playing now. (Including me)
Pretty sure they have a new static though.

I'm hoping statics won't be needed for Alexander normal so I can pug it on my free time.

Heh, cool. I didn't excactly plan to come back, just don't have the time for an MMO anymore. Just wanted to know if team ragequit is back in business :D.

Noaksey

Neo Member

With a full FC of GAF members do we not have those that will help each other ?

So like a Blacksmith that has the epic gear sets then those under them that can make mats etc..

We could create a request community with the FC..

OR am I thinking to complicated?

iammeiam

The new skills are where SE took a steaming dump on bard players.

Everyone with too much free time should get bard to 60, do Neverreap and Fractal on Bard, then turn around and repeat with Machinist and wonder what exactly Bards did to the FFXIV Dev Team to deserve their situation.

Machinist is pretty solid design-wise, but you can't get the full contrast without the post-Minuet bard struggle experience.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Everyone with too much free time should get bard to 60, do Neverreap and Fractal on Bard, then turn around and repeat with Machinist and wonder what exactly Bards did to the FFXIV Dev Team to deserve their situation.

Machinist is pretty solid design-wise, but you can't get the full contrast without the post-Minuet bard struggle experience.

Bards sound like they've been punished ?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Heh, cool. I didn't excactly plan to come back, just don't have the time for an MMO anymore. Just wanted to know if team ragequit is back in business :D.

Just come back as a casual pleb like me! The story is really good in this one.

IMBored

wonder what exactly Bards did to the FFXIV Dev Team to deserve their situation.

Think about this. Galen was a BRD. We should watch out for SE destroying NIN now.

What's SE?

Square-Enix

The BRD class was a range class that didn't have cast time for their abilities, so they could move while they attacked. The new ability introduced makes them have a cast time for most attacks, which limits the mobility, doesn't increase damage that much, and makes them clunky to play, as it was thought off after the old play style.

Raid Dungeon Preview - Alexander

Today we offer players a glimpse of the new raid dungeon being introduced with patch 3.01—Alexander!

Video

Since the Sharlayan exodus, a structure has stood steady against the flow of the Thaliak River. Now, the Illuminati have summoned a primal around this rusting ruin─a terrible colossus of steam and metal. Steel screamed against steel when it rose from the waters, and it drank deep of the land's aether before grinding again to a halt.

The voices of Idyllshire cry out, asking for aid ere their homes are crushed under the weight of iron. You must lead a band of valiant adventurers into the machina and discover how to destroy the core─lest the giant screeches again to life, and bleeds all the realm dry.

88d2c936ee0dbd3bc2a84c4ec2606cc0fe8a3e7a_1.png

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
SE=Square-Enix

Punishment isn't the word I would use it's more like getting the shaft as all the skills the Bard got in the expansion are nearly useless at the moment and yes that includes that silly song we get at Lv.58 that gets negated by every esuna like spell from the Healers.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
* Details regarding the rewards for Alexander will be available in the patch 3.01 notes to be released at a later date.

So, tonight's maint isn't Alexander? That's a weird disclaimer to go up today.

Top Bottom