• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

IMBored

Since the Sharlayan exodus, a structure has stood steady against the flow of the Thaliak River. Now, the Illuminati have summoned a primal around this rusting ruin─a terrible colossus of steam and metal. Steel screamed against steel when it rose from the waters, and it drank deep of the land's aether before grinding again to a halt.

I was wondering why the
stone pillar in the center of the field turned into alexander, but it seems like it was summoned on top of it. My guess it was some sharlyan experiment filled with crystals, that's why it resulted in a summon.

So, tonight's maint isn't Alexander? That's a weird disclaimer to go up today.

I think this patch was confirmed to be 3.01, and full patch notes normally come during maintenance.

Rising_Hei

How to be successfull in Bismark and Ravanah Extreme

- Remove BRDs and MCHs from the Party Finder.
- Atleast 1 DPS spot has to be for SMN

Sorry folks /trollface

They are too broken imo, have been trying bismark for hours and DPS was really shit, when the BRD left we had a SMN come and things went much more smoother, we got a clear too :/

And yes the BRD was singing FOE in an optimal way. The trouble i see is that an average SMN, BLM, MNK, DRK, NIN could easily outdamage a MCH or BRD with the best hands of the world, and the buffs don't fill the gap, for now atleast.

After that we went blindly to Ravana not knowing shit, reached Phase 4 and understood it but it was so damn late already, it looks like fun, but still much much easier than ARR's extremes which is a shame

IvorB

Everyone with too much free time should get bard to 60, do Neverreap and Fractal on Bard, then turn around and repeat with Machinist and wonder what exactly Bards did to the FFXIV Dev Team to deserve their situation.

Machinist is pretty solid design-wise, but you can't get the full contrast without the post-Minuet bard struggle experience.

Aw I really enjoyed bard and it's my only other level 50 but all this talk is putting me off levelling it to 60. Maybe I should give machinist a go instead.

Noaksey

Neo Member
The BRD class was a range class that didn't have cast time for their abilities, so they could move while they attacked. The new ability introduced makes them have a cast time for most attacks, which limits the mobility, doesn't increase damage that much, and makes them clunky to play, as it was thought off after the old play style.

This makes no sense to change the way a class works when it's been the same way for so long?

I understand why fans of the Bard class are upset. I suppose that they wanted them to try out the new classes?

I feel sorry for anyone that got the the higher level of Bard just as the expansion went live, it's like all that you've just done was pointless!

DarkKyo

I was wondering why the
stone pillar in the center of the field turned into alexander, but it seems like it was summoned on top of it. My guess it was some sharlyan experiment filled with crystals, that's why it resulted in a summon.
???
Alexander is in the middle of the map inside the energy bubble, he's not even close to the Idyllshire pillar... He's inside a lake.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Sorry folks /trollface

They are too broken imo, have been trying bismark for hours and DPS was really shit, when the BRD left we had a SMN come and things went much more smoother, we got a clear too :/

And yes the BRD was singing FOE in an optimal way. The trouble i see is that an average SMN, BLM, MNK, DRK, NIN could easily outdamage a MCH or BRD with the best hands of the world, and the buffs don't fill the gap, for now atleast.
That's not our fault thou.....and it's the main reason I refuse to do any serious content right now (I'm leveling my Astrologist atm) until they fix the Bard Class.

Noaksey

Neo Member
SE=Square-Enix

Punishment isn't the word I would use it's more like getting the shaft as all the skills the Bard got in the expansion are nearly useless at the moment and yes that includes that silly song we get at Lv.58 that gets negated by every esuna like spell from the Healers.

It's quite the change to the play styles of commited players, could even put off other players for sticking around (Like WoW)

Adaren

Just started playing with my boyfriend. Enjoying it quite a bit so far!

Questions:

1. Can you disable floating combat text for others? Or make your own numbers more visible somehow.
I found the option, but it looks like it affects all Floating Text, not just my own. :| Is there a way to increase the size of just mine, or disable the numbers of others?

2. Is there a way to change tab target cycling to closest-farthest, instead of the crazy closest-then-left-to-right it is by default?
There's a "Target Closest Enemy" keybind, but it doesn't cycle.

3. Is there a way to macro/enable something similar to WoW's /startattack? So that if you hit an offensive skill and you aren't targetting anything, it'll tab to the closest enemy. I don't like having to hit tab after every enemy dies.
I haven't been able to get this to trigger. "Enable auto-target when no target is specified" sounds like what I want, but it isn't happening. The only way to target the next monster in a pack is by hitting tab or letting the monster hit me.

Reposting my still open questions. Thanks!

IMBored

???
Alexander is in the middle of the map inside the energy bubble, he's not even close to the Idyllshire pillar... He's inside a lake.

I don't mean that pillar, before alexander appeared in the center of the lake was a stone pillar/building kind of thing, not mechanical at all.

Also, it's kind of funny you can see the 2nd alex hand and head placeholders already on the shield, with that suspicious rock formations.

Sorian

Banned
Loving the steam theme of alexander and that gear looks pretty dope (We robots now), the music selection in that trailer was rough though, I think it's just trailer music though and is not indicative of what we will be hearing during the raid imo. (More hoping than anything else).

iammeiam

Sorry folks /trollface

After that we went blindly to Ravana not knowing shit, reached Phase 4 and understood it but it was so damn late already, it looks like fun, but still much much easier than ARR's extremes which is a shame

If you need to stack the party with 4 non-physical-ranged classes to clear the Bismarck EX DPS check, your DPS is bad and should feel bad and you will likely have issues in any content that does justify bringing a battery class. Cleared both EXes in double physical ranged parties and it wasn't even particularly close. Bards and Machinist can still deal respectable burst, too, which is useful for corona/carapace or Ravana's physical vulnerability phase.

Yes things die faster if you bring people with a higher DPS ceiling, but neither EX has a really strict check provided DPS is playing moderately competently. The no BRD/MCH PFs just kind of make me think the person running them is probably terrible.

Raid Dungeon Preview - Alexander

Video

88d2c936ee0dbd3bc2a84c4ec2606cc0fe8a3e7a_1.png

MNK gear and weapon looks sick, must have.

DarkKyo

I don't mean that pillar, before alexander appeared in the center of the lake was a stone pillar/building kind of thing, not mechanical at all.

Also, it's kind of funny you can see the 2nd alex hand and head placeholders already on the shield, with that suspicious rock formations.

Ahh I gotcha now..
Can't wait to see what he looks like in full, in about 3-4 major updates!

OsirisBlack

Banned
Neither the relic weapon nor poetics gear hold much value post 50.
Yoshi stated that they would be upgrading relic weapons to be the best weapons in the game again but they would alternate between relic, raid, relic, raid with each one being the best during its release window.

Sorian

Banned
Yoshi stated that they would be upgrading relic weapons to be the best weapons in the game again but they would alternate between relic, raid, relic, raid with each one being the best during its release window.

The new relic, not the old bust ass zetas.

Kemal86

So as a fresh level 50, I'm guessing there's not much point to working on the relic weapon quests? I have a ilvl120 weapon from the free token things they gave out for the 'welcome back' program.

Skipping dungeon cut-scenes shouldn't be allowed unless the entire party agrees.

Agreed. It was my first time doing the last mission of the 2.0 main scenario last night, Prateorium something something...I ended up locked out of multiple boss fights because I was trying to watch the story unfold =/

With a full FC of GAF members do we not have those that will help each other ?

So like a Blacksmith that has the epic gear sets then those under them that can make mats etc..

We could create a request community with the FC..

OR am I thinking to complicated?

You can ask people to craft things in FC, usually if you can't make them yourself but have the materials needed (others might allow you to ask them to craft leve turn-ins so you can get your crafter levels up).

The gil sink really comes in when buying some of the things required to make items/materia. Or a time sink if you decide to go kill enemies for the items to drop/decide to spiritbond gear to convert into the materia you want/decide to desynth for demimateria.

Stuart444

What's the ilvl on Bissy EX anyway? Not unlocked it yet but curious

Also the Alex raid sounds like we won't have Alisaie in it ;_: Was hoping since
she is not in the main story and we actually know she's okay unlike the Scions, we would see her for the raid at least.

Sorian

Banned
So as a fresh level 50, I'm guessing there's not much point to working on the relic weapon quests? I have a ilvl120 weapon from the free token things they gave out for the 'welcome back' program.

For practical reasons? No, you should not do the relic chain at all. For vanity reasons? That's up to you, there is a title for getting the base 2.0 version of each relic, achievements and titles for different stages of the relic chain, and some of the weapon stages themselves look pretty cool so they are a glamour option.

What's the ilvl on Bissy EX anyway? Not unlocked it yet but curious

Also the Alex raid sounds like we won't have Alisaie in it ;_: Was hoping since
she is not in the main story and we actually know she's okay unlike the Scions, we would see her for the raid at least.

There is no set ilvl, you can go in as whatever. Generally ilvl 150 is the low end of acceptable and ilvl 160 is what people will expect you to be if they are being hard asses.

Alisaie was confirmed awhile back not to be involved with this new raid. New story to tell, she has no place, etc.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It's quite the change to the play styles of commited players, could even put off other players for sticking around (Like WoW)
No that's just a misconception by outsiders who don't play Bards. The style change is bothersome but it's not the main problem here,the main problem is that the style change provides little to no DPS gain and even if we adapt to this style change we wouldn't see a performance increase because due to the way the Bard Class works adding a cast time to our Attacks is breaking how our activation rate works (Less Heavy Shots=Less likely to activate critical Straight Shots),how we can connect Attacks (Can't connect into Flaming Arrow and Repelling Shot) and on top of no longer being unable to attack and move at the same time it's easy to see why most players who used a Bard can call foul on this BS.

What will you do if they don't fix Bard?
I don't have to worry bout that Square-Enix already acknowledge the issues we have with the Bard Class and ate working on the "appropriate" changes right now.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Skipping dungeon cut-scenes shouldn't be allowed unless the entire party agrees.

I have on a number of occasions Skipped because I worry I am holding the party up. :S

I really need to watch them though.

You can ask people to craft things in FC, usually if you can't make them yourself but have the materials needed (others might allow you to ask them to craft leve turn-ins so you can get your crafter levels up).

The gil sink really comes in when buying some of the things required to make items/materia. Or a time sink if you decide to go kill enemies for the items to drop/decide to spiritbond gear to convert into the materia you want/decide to desynth for demimateria.

I never though of that.. but again if I asked for Leve Items then that person would have to spend their time making it to help me. I fear that I would be asking too much of them.

:S

Noaksey

Neo Member
No that's just a misconception by outsiders who don't play Bards. The style change is bothersome but it's not the main problem here,the main problem is that the style change provides little to no DPS gain and even if we adapt to this style change we wouldn't see a performance increase because due to the way the Bard Class works adding a cast time to our Attacks is breaking how our activation rate works (Less Heavy Shots=Less likely to activate critical Straight Shots),how we can connect Attacks (Can't connect into Flaming Arrow and Repelling Shot) and on top of no longer being unable to attack and move at the same time it's easy to see why most players who used a Bard can call foul on this BS.

Sorry I am completely new to FFXIV and so and tryign to make things maybe a little to simple for me to understand.

I don't have to worry bout that Square-Enix already acknowledge the issues we have with the Bard Class and ate working on the "appropriate" changes right now.

This is good to hear!!

Sorian

Banned
but again if I asked for Leve Items then that person would have to spend their time making it to help me. I fear that I would be asking too much of them.

This has always been my issue. I have no problem asking someone for a one off craft when I have all the mats ready for them but I always feel to bad asking for multiple leve turn in items.

Stuart444

There is no set ilvl, you can go in as whatever. Generally ilvl 150 is the low end of acceptable and ilvl 160 is what people will expect you to be if they are being hard asses.

Alisaie was confirmed awhile back not to be involved with this new raid. New story to tell, she has no place, etc.

Ty

Also ;_; I want her to be back for something. Maybe in 3.1, she can help them
rebuild the Scions or something *grumble grumble*

Reknoc

Cutscenes during dungeons are rather poorly implemented, I feel maybe YoshiP was too optimistic about the western community not being a nest of cocks. Had to skip the entrance to the last boss of Sohm Al because the warning about the area being closed off popped up and I didn't want to wait for them to die.

Noaksey

Neo Member
This has always been my issue. I have no problem asking someone for a one off craft when I have all the mats ready for them but I always feel to bad asking for multiple leve turn in items.

This was why I was suggestion a mentor like system for jobs..

I mean if I was level 50 - 60 and was spending time waiting for a duty etc.. I would offer a First come first served on Leve / Grand company items.

or something similar and adding it to the Guild bank thing..

I suppose if it got too much I would hate it but if there was a few of us offering this kind of service the FC would grow considerably?

Zomba13

I have on a number of occasions Skipped because I worry I am holding the party up. :S

I really need to watch them though.

I never though of that.. but again if I asked for Leve Items then that person would have to spend their time making it to help me. I fear that I would be asking too much of them.

You can re-watch any cutscenes (including dungeon and trial intros/outros) at any inn room. On your first time through I'd say just watch them. In most dungeons/trials it doesn't hold people up that much and they get a notice that a player is new anyway and in the last dungeons of 2.0 (the lvl50 ones) people may rush you because they are long but after the first one they can fight on without you if they are so impatient. Sometimes it can mess you up because another cutscene will trigger before you're done with the one you're watching.

In 3.0 the cutscenes are much better placed with the important ones happening after the dungeon meaning you can watch the into/outro for a dungeon/trial and then when you exit you get the actual story part rather than having to worry about holding people up.

OsirisBlack

Banned

That's unfortunate if true that's not how Yoshi made it sound, figured it would just be an extension of the older weapons quests with new weapons for the new classes starting at whatever the base level was for the new quest.

Neku054

Neo Member

Sorry folks /trollface

And yes the BRD was singing FOE in an optimal way. The trouble i see is that an average SMN, BLM, MNK, DRK, NIN could easily outdamage a MCH or BRD with the best hands of the world, and the buffs don't fill the gap, for now atleast

BRD main here. Beat BisEX in one shot with a PF group, Ravana EX took a bit longer but I have my Hive bow and enough totems for 2 other weapons (was also PF'd and the party stayed for multiple runs)

I won't say we aren't weak, we always have been (unfairly imo, more so now that we are practically BLMs for our opener) but if you can't clear content because of one ranged physical dps, then the problem is bad players.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Looking like it's hard for an Astrologian to find a static right now. :c They need to make some changes on that class, maybe? I don't know much about it. I sorta want to level it myself so I can understand them more.

Maybe in a dumb casual static that takes their life advices from Reddit and people like MrHappy? If it's the kinda group that says "We don't want MCH in our static because it does low DPS", well, you probably don't want to play with them.

Let's talk Astrologian. Their basic healing throughput at the end of the day does not significantly differ from that of a WHM or a SCH, not in a meaningful way anyway. What sets healers apart are their cooldowns and while WHM and SCH got some amazing tools in addition to great stuff they had before, AST has mostly cooldowns that are like WHM's, but for no reason made worse just to be different. Their only really great cooldown is Time Dilation, everything else needs to be redesigned. Time Dilation, however, is pure awesome. It's true that they don't really have an oh shit button like a SCH's magazine of lustrates or WHM's Divine Seal, and that needs to be sorted out; however being able to pull a party out of a ditch requires fine play to begin with, once that Benediction's gone, it's gone for five minutes. Clever use of Synastry could probably offer an alternative to that.

Bottom line, the class is undertuned, but not to the point where it can't main heal something, and it will get fixed because complaints are numerous, and there are many on the Japanese side too. AST is more of a 2.0 Warrior than MCH is, and maybe stupid kids who refuse to take them into parties are helping by forcing SE to retune the class.

Plus, there's no reason for a healer not to have a couple of healing classes leveled and be ready to swap according to the needs of an encounter.

Jayhawk

PSA for aspiring crafters and gatherers:

Garland Tools has information on meld caps for expansion equipment since the expansion was released.

Tier V materia cannot be slotted into anything below i160 because that's what the base ilvl of the materia is. You cannot slot Tier IV battle materia into anything below i70 because that's what the base ilvl of the materia is. You cannot slot Tier IV crafting/gathering materia into anything below i55 because that's what the base ilvl of the materia is.

Most of the current best gear for crafting and gathering cannot be fully melded to meet their caps since you can only use tier IV materia. However, you will end up with red numbers on your overmelds and wasted gil if you didn't actually look up meld caps.

Why isn't there anybody on Ultros controlling the tier V materia market and basically being the sole supplier? Dead server.

Clipse

Tank set is nice except the copy pasta butt flaps from the Ironworks body.

Anyone else farming the gear sets from the new dungeons? I forgot how soul crushing it could be with the bloated-ass loot tables S-E likes to make. Is it really that hard to have NIN and MNK share loot, YoshiP?

Erekiddo

The level grind crawl toward the end main scenario Heavensward quests is daunting.

Reached level 56 main scenario quests, spent hours grinding quests/dungeons to level up.

Did about 5 quests, and now I have to do it all over again. Tempted to just take my time and stick to daily duty roulette bonuses.

Ugh.

AgeEighty

That's unfortunate if true that's not how Yoshi made it sound, figured it would just be an extension of the older weapons quests with new weapons for the new classes starting at whatever the base level was for the new quest.

No, they've been saying for a long time that it will be a brand new quest line and weapon set. The only relation to the Zodiac Braves weapon quests is that if you have done them, they will likely provide you with a shortcut on the path to the new weapons.

Sorian

Banned

Until we see the actual patch notes for 3.1, we won't know, but every indication points to these 3.0 relics being new and completely different from 2.0 relics with nothing needed from 2.0 to start. He has said he might throw us a bone if we have a completed zeta but I don't think there has been any more discussion on what that might be.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The level grind crawl toward the end main scenario Heavensward quests is daunting.

Reached level 56 main scenario quests, spent hours grinding quests/dungeons to level up.

Did about 5 quests, and now I have to do it all over again. Tempted to just take my time and stick to daily duty roulette bonuses.

Ugh.

There are some plenty of side quests to get you there. Basically everything but fates is a viable way to lol these days.

I would much prefer the main story to have 0 filler and use side quests and dungeons as the filler.

Zomba13

Tank set is nice except the copy pasta butt flaps from the Ironworks body.

Anyone else farming the gear sets from the new dungeons? I forgot how soul crushing it could be with the bloated-ass loot tables S-E likes to make. Is it really that hard to have NIN and MNK share loot, YoshiP?

Somehow I got the Tyrfing and Dainslief (PLD sword and DRK sword) one run after the other and those are what I really wanted form The Aery (you know, outside the best minion in any game ever). I want to see the orthadox tank body but I will never see that, instead I will see a billion tank feet and all the whm/sch and mnk accessories in the world.

Noaksey

Neo Member
You can re-watch any cutscenes (including dungeon and trial intros/outros) at any inn room. On your first time through I'd say just watch them. In most dungeons/trials it doesn't hold people up that much and they get a notice that a player is new anyway and in the last dungeons of 2.0 (the lvl50 ones) people may rush you because they are long but after the first one they can fight on without you if they are so impatient. Sometimes it can mess you up because another cutscene will trigger before you're done with the one you're watching.

In 3.0 the cutscenes are much better placed with the important ones happening after the dungeon meaning you can watch the into/outro for a dungeon/trial and then when you exit you get the actual story part rather than having to worry about holding people up.

This is good to know !

I might spend some time watching the skipped videos and then get back to it.

I have heard of the rush through and I understand you can request that skipping the video can be avoided.

I was talking to my brother the other day and he was saying how the end game was spoilt for him. So he gave me warning.

Azzurri

Will the 2.0 MSQ take you to max level w/o having to do any side quests? I'm leaving them for Ast once I get there.

Top Bottom