• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Pancho

Qurupancho
Skipping dungeon cut-scenes shouldn't be allowed unless the entire party agrees.
That's a little unfair tho, for people that have gotten through it a dozen times. You can watch the cut scene later at an inn, its not like you will lose the cutscene forever.

OsirisBlack

Banned
No, they've been saying for a long time that it will be a brand new quest line and weapon set. The only relation to the Zodiac Braves weapon quests is that if you have done them, they will likely provide you with a shortcut on the path to the new weapons.

Most unfortunate but expected, they did the same thing in FFXI. Had to go from Excalibur and Aegis to Burtgang then Almace and Ochain so I am used to multiple relic lines.

Until we see the actual patch notes for 3.1, we won't know, but every indication points to these 3.0 relics being new and completely different from 2.0 relics with nothing needed from 2.0 to start. He has said he might throw us a bone if we have a completed zeta but I don't think there has been any more discussion on what that might be.

Hopefully they will toss us a bone for finishing zeta weapons but then again my Paladin is just about retired as I have been focusing on DRK.

I think the new sets look pretty nice but It kind of looks like multiple tank sets are available not exactly sure.

AYuWMv8.jpg

The armor looks the same but it looks like DRK has a cowl and WAR has a helmet.

Reknoc

That's a little unfair tho, for people that have gotten through it a dozen times. You can watch the cut scene later at an inn, its not like you will lose the cutscene forever.

People don't want to do that, nor should they really, people shouldn't have to go out of their way to see the story in a story focused game. Anyway, if they're watching the cutscenes it means you're getting a bonus from it.

Pancho

Qurupancho
People want to watch them in the moment, deal with it.
So salty
I usually wait for new comers to watch their cut scenes. However in places with long ass cutscenes like the final instances in vanilla ARR, asking to wait for people to watch them all its a little too much.

Noaksey

Neo Member
So salty
I usually wait for new comers to watch their cut scenes. However in places with long ass cutscenes like the final instances in vanilla ARR, asking to wait for people to watch them all its a little too much.

This is what I was worried about.

If I went with a full GAF team at least they all would know my intention of watch cutscenes before we did the run :)

Jayhawk

Well you mention a bit on gathering and crafting materias so I assumed you mentioned those and not battle materias.

Jayhawk please

Controlling the complete materia market also means you'd have enough tier V materias to use Mutamix and get other tier Vs back. Go spiritbond with the i160 tank chest in Alexander baby mode this week.

Sorian

Banned
So salty

You know how you get around that? Don't run those instances. Also, shitty use of salty, good try.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Question on Materia - I have yet to use any, or even see any.

Now I have the quest to start to learn to make it. Is it worth it ?

And door this have something to do with converting items from dungeons?

IvorB

So salty

Yeah the way that was done was really bad. The cut scenes in the Pretorium and the place with the cannons were really annoying and frequent. But they've improved the way they do it now so it makes a lot more sense and people aren't really waiting around that long.

AgeEighty

People want to watch them in the moment, deal with it.

People don't want to do that, nor should they really, people shouldn't have to go out of their way to see the story in a story focused game. Anyway, if they're watching the cutscenes it means you're getting a bonus from it.

^ This. FFXIV is a story-focused game; the cutscenes are important to a lot of people and they are more dramatic in the context of the actual trial. It doesn't take that long to just let them watch, and you're getting a bonus besides.

Hate the "OMG SKIP CS" people.

Noaksey

Neo Member
^ This. FFXIV is a story-focused game; the cutscenes are important to a lot of people and they are more dramatic in the context of the actual trial. It doesn't take that long to just let them watch, and you're getting a bonus besides.

Hate the "OMG SKIP CS" people.

I really want to do the final level 50 dungeons with you now ;)

hythloday

Agree!

So salty

Yeah I just finished the 2.0 main story quest and I watched all the cutscenes. However I did it with the knowledge that my group would probably advance ahead and do all the fights without me after the initial one. So past a certain point in the final dungeon, I could no longer keep up and it was just one cutscene after another. I grabbed a soda and sat back and just enjoyed the show til the credits rolled. Now I've done the 2.0 story at this point, but I have no idea how the fights went (other than "yay, we won!") There were a couple seconds in between some cutscenes where I caught snippets of my group complaining, but hey, they got the newbie bonus. I don't know if they were contemplating kicking me and the 1 other new guy or what (someone did say "Ah, let them watch it") or just general comments.

It's bad design to have dungeons be like that, but luckily it's not repeated in HW?

Ayumi

Does crafting become more dreadful in higher levels (as in class level, not crafting level)?
Because I want to focus on leveling up my first class before doing the crafting.. I dunno if it would be wise to just wait, or do it in-between. Any suggestions?

(I'm a lvl 24 Thauma, going for Goldsmithing first.)

Agree!

Yeah I just finished the 2.0 main story quest and I watched the cutscenes. However I did it with the knowledge that my group would probably advance ahead and do all the fights without me. So past a certain point in the final dungeon, I could no longer keep up and it was just one cutscene after another. I grabbed a soda and sat back and just enjoyed the show til the credits rolled. Now I've done the 2.0 story at this point, but I have no idea how the fights went (other than "yay, we won!") There were a couple seconds in between some cutscenes where I caught snippets of my group complaining, but hey, they got the newbie bonus. I don't know if they were contemplating kicking me and the 1 other new guy or what (someone did say "Ah, let them watch it") or just general comments.

It's bad design to have dungeons be like that, but luckily it's not repeated in HW?

there aren't as many and they aren't as long but they're still there

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm actually curious how often these result in a clear, specifically something like t13. Felix, Haman, Korra and I went in half premade (Felix was on Conjurer and Haman on Lancer for funsies) and we oneshot it, although the others seemed to mostly have cleared as well.

We had way more that resulted in failure, though Felix's Conjurer has the dreadwyrm staff and robe I believe, so we got a few clears. If you've done t13 a bit in the JP DF, how often did they clear it?
I started the Final Coil after the last Echo patch and was able to clear T12 with a DF group on my first try and T13 after a few days of grouping with both PF and DF players. From what my LS members have been saying, T13 is basically a roulette.
That said, I cleared most of the 10+ turns once, because I was in just for the clear, upgraded poetics gear was enough.

Does crafting become more dreadful in higher levels (as in class level, not crafting level)?
Because I want to focus on leveling up my first class before doing the crafting.. I dunno if it would be wise to just wait, or do it in-between. Any suggestions?

(I'm a lvl 24 Thauma, going for Goldsmithing first.)
Higher level crafting is a grind and a huge money sink.

adz2ka

I've decided that I will resub around the end of August. Once I have Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 out of the way, I don't really have any time consuming games.

I think I cancelled my sub around 2.4.

Couple of questions; I can't remember if I can transfer servers from a current EU server to the US server if I was to join the GAF guild (that is of course if there was an invite going)?

And, with the introduction to AST class, am I right in thinking they are establishing WHM as more of a true healer in this expansion. WHM is my main you see.

IMBored

Guess today is the day I drop my stock of useless elemental materia on the roullete. Watch me get a shinny new level V elemental materia.

Noaksey

Neo Member
At least one person hung back to profusely apologise for the others. That person got my commendation

I was talking about the Commendations.

I think it needs to be reevaluated I think DPS should commend DPS and healer <> tank

Makes it fair :) unless someone is bad.

Sorian

Banned
Oh well ! Hopefully I'll still get exp from it ?

Yes? You used to not because you have to be level 50 to do it and that used to be the cap. I know they updated most things to now give xp though since the new cap is 60 (if you own the expac) but I don't remember if they updated absolutely everything from the 2.0 original storyline.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Most unfortunate but expected, they did the same thing in FFXI. Had to go from Excalibur and Aegis to Burtgang then Almace and Ochain so I am used to multiple relic lines.

Hopefully they will toss us a bone for finishing zeta weapons but then again my Paladin is just about retired as I have been focusing on DRK.

I think the new sets look pretty nice but It kind of looks like multiple tank sets are available not exactly sure.

AYuWMv8.jpg

The armor looks the same but it looks like DRK has a cowl and WAR has a helmet.

Looks ugly. Will have to see it in-game for myself I guess.

Uthred

Yeah, but Alexander Normal will be easier than Coil.

Well, easier than some of coil, a recent quote about the difficulty

"As a result, Alexander has both a normal (story) mode and a savage mode. The normal mode will be higher difficulty than that of the Extreme Primals, but easier than Second Coil of Bahamut's Savage Mode"

Seems at odds with the impression they were giving beforehand about it being more accessible

Stuart444

To be honest, if the other healer isn't new then they probably won't need you.

Unless that other healer is me :) I have no problem waiting around. Same if I was the tank, I'd just sit around if the new person asked us to wait up. If they say nothing though, I'll just keep heading along with the main group. Unless people start insulting the newbie then I'll also sit around and do nothing ^_^

I don't feel the need to rush in a group of pricks.

iammeiam

Leveling AST really feels like cheating the Commendations system. I spend all my time seeing how low I can get the tank during Gravity spam while still recovering with an ED and Benefic II, fish for extended Bole so I can Gravity spam more (and occasionally AOE Ewer everyone because I think it's funny), and mostly just play like a really shitty BLM with two heal buttons and it works out.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
In all honesty, the FFXIV team needs to take a look at their DX11 client because it's fucking up a great deal of users with 970/980+ cards right now. Constant crashes forcing a complete system reboot. It effects me as well. Any moment I zone into the old Eorzea zones, I will crash. 100%. At times, the same will happen in Ishgard zones. There are giant threads on the official forums and on reddit. DX11 is unplayable for me now. =/ A shame.

Sorian

Banned
Well, easier than some of coil, a recent quote about the difficulty

"As a result, Alexander has both a normal (story) mode and a savage mode. The normal mode will be higher difficulty than that of the Extreme Primals, but easier than Second Coil of Bahamut's Savage Mode"

Seems at odds with the impression they were giving beforehand about it being more accessible

Think about that quote for a second, it's a politician non-answer. So the difficulty is anywhere between Garuda EX and T7 savage. Ok? Thanks yoship, you've narrowed that down to absolutely nothing.

It looks bad.

No taste, no wonder you play a cat boy.

Leveling AST really feels like cheating the Commendations system. I spend all my time seeing how low I can get the tank during Gravity spam while still recovering with an ED and Benefic II, fish for extended Bole so I can Gravity spam more (and occasionally AOE Ewer everyone because I think it's funny), and mostly just play like a really shitty BLM with two heal buttons and it works out.

dont see how that cheats the commendation system. Saying you shouldnt get a comm since you play like a dps?

Oh well ! Hopefully I'll still get exp from it ?

You get 4800xp from each of the 2.1 to 2.55 MSQ from what I recall. I just finished it myself on Friday. The story gets crazy in a good way.

I went from about level 50 to level 52 during those quests. Now that I am on 3.0 content I jumped from 52 to 55 really fast thanks to the xp bump in MSQ and other quests. I am usually a level ahead of the actual quest levels that I am currently at in the story.

Hopefully this will make the grind from 56 to 57 and beyond not so bad for me.

I haven't even gone back and touched Binding Coil yet.

Top Bottom