• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Se'kami

Neo Member
lhfBeQ7.png

That WAR armor looks like Exdeath... I like it.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Unless that other healer is me :) I have no problem waiting around. Same if I was the tank, I'd just sit around if the new person asked us to wait up. If they say nothing though, I'll just keep heading along with the main group. Unless people start insulting the newbie then I'll also sit around and do nothing ^_^

I don't feel the need to rush in a group of pricks.

So glad that GAF seen to be this way <3

barit

Agree!

Yeah I just finished the 2.0 main story quest and I watched all the cutscenes. However I did it with the knowledge that my group would probably advance ahead and do all the fights without me after the initial one. So past a certain point in the final dungeon, I could no longer keep up and it was just one cutscene after another. I grabbed a soda and sat back and just enjoyed the show til the credits rolled. Now I've done the 2.0 story at this point, but I have no idea how the fights went (other than "yay, we won!") There were a couple seconds in between some cutscenes where I caught snippets of my group complaining, but hey, they got the newbie bonus. I don't know if they were contemplating kicking me and the 1 other new guy or what (someone did say "Ah, let them watch it") or just general comments.

It's bad design to have dungeons be like that, but luckily it's not repeated in HW?

lol yeah it's a ridiculous design choice for such a story driven MMO. The first time I had to run through the final dungeons in 2.0 I haven't seen any of the cutscenes because there were always some messages that this happened or that gate opened. Really destroyed the immersion for me because I wanted to enjoy the story. Good thing is that in HW they have now put all the important cutscenes at the end of the dungeons when everyone is done and gone.

Uthred

That's a little unfair tho, for people that have gotten through it a dozen times. You can watch the cut scene later at an inn, its not like you will lose the cutscene forever.

The reason they place the cutscenes in the dungeons as opposed to just rolling all the cutscenes when you login is because context is important. Its a different experience watching it in your inn room than watching it where its intended

So salty
I usually wait for new comers to watch their cut scenes. However in places with long ass cutscenes like the final instances in vanilla ARR, asking to wait for people to watch them all its a little too much.

The main thrust and selling point of the game is the story, the custscenes are there for people to watch, as such watching them is "Playing as intended", if having to wait around is so onerous people can use PF.

Think about that quote for a second, it's a politician non-answer. So the difficulty is anywhere between Garuda EX and T7 savage. Ok? Thanks yoship, you've narrowed that down to absolutely nothing.

Well its a translation of a translation I think so getting too nit picky about it seems wrong but "extreme primals" would at least imply harder than all three, but you're right its almost pointlessly vague

Noaksey

Neo Member
You get 4800xp from each of the 2.1 to 2.55 MSQ from what I recall. I just finished it myself on Friday. The story gets crazy in a good way.

I went from about level 50 to level 52 during those quests. Now that I am on 3.0 content I jumped from 52 to 55 really fast thanks to the xp bump in MSQ and other quests. I am usually a level ahead of the actual quest levels that I am currently at in the story.

Hopefully this will make the grind from 56 to 57 and beyond not so bad for me.

I haven't even gone back and touched Binding Coil yet.

Cool but this I take it happens if I have the expansion ?

_BtB_

In all honesty, the FFXIV team needs to take a look at their DX11 client because it's fucking up a great deal of users with 970/980+ cards right now. Constant crashes forcing a complete system reboot. It effects me as well. Any moment I zone into the old Eorzea zones, I will crash. 100%. At times, the same will happen in Ishgard zones. There are giant threads on the official forums and on reddit. DX11 is unplayable for me now. =/ A shame.

Hmm I had 2 crashes so far and I had to hard reset my computer. I thought it was my computer messing up =/

how much of a performance drop does going to a non dx11 get? If this continues perhaps I will have to downgrade :(

Bittercup

Higher level crafting is a grind and a huge money sink.
How is the level 60 crafting exactly? I don't mind grinding so much but at level 50 everything that is nice was locked behind frustratingly high stats requirements that usually required a lot of materia (over)melding before you could do anything. I really like crafting in FFXIV but level 50 was a disappointment for me. I had more fun leveling the crafting classes to 50 than being at 50.
Does level 60 still have such a steep curve? Or does this new scrip stuff make it a bit more accessible?
I don't care so much about making useful HQ raid equipment, I just like to craft cute outfits myself.

Sorian

Banned
Well its a translation of a translation I think so getting too nit picky about it seems wrong but "extreme primals" would at least imply harder than all three, but you're right its almost pointlessly vague

The issue is we don't even know if he means the initial 3 primals or every extreme primal released during the 2.x life span. I'm going in expecting CT levels of "hard" it's there so regular folk can see the story. Worst case scenario, I'm pleasantly surprised and there's a little difficulty to it.

Stuart444

Also about the last two 2.0 main story dungeons (CM and Prae), you can also use the party finder tool and just say you plan on watching the cutscenes and want a slow and steady run.

I did that for Prae and it worked great. For CM, It was a 5/8 group with some folks from the FC so people had to wait, no amount of vote kicks would work since you need a majority for that lol.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Also about the last two 2.0 main story dungeons (CM and Prae), you can also use the party finder tool and just say you plan on watching the cutscenes and want a slow and steady run.

I did that for Prae and it worked great. For CM, It was a 5/8 group with some folks from the FC so people had to wait, no amount of vote kicks would work since you need a majority for that lol.

Thanks for the info :)

Question on Materia - I have yet to use any, or even see any.

Now I have the quest to start to learn to make it. Is it worth it ?

And door this have something to do with converting items from dungeons?

If you plan to really get into crafting/gathering, being able to create your own is a must since it can be expensive.

EDIT: Battle gear can be more tricky to convert since there's so much more options. Trying for savage aim/might and ending up with elemental materia can be mean.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hmm I had 2 crashes so far and I had to hard reset my computer. I thought it was my computer messing up =/

how much of a performance drop does going to a non dx11 get? If this continues perhaps I will have to downgrade :(

DX9 is fine, we played on it since launch. HW zones still look pretty, but DX11 was a great step up and I miss the super pretty. T-T

Adaren

I was able to fix one of my issues with a macro, but now I have even more questions...

1. Can you disable floating combat text for others? Or make your own numbers more visible somehow.
I found a font size option, but it looks like it affects all Floating Text, not just my own. :| Is there a way to increase the size of just mine, or disable the numbers of others?

2. Is there a way to change tab target cycling to closest-farthest, instead of the crazy closest-then-left-to-right it is by default?
There's a "Target Closest Enemy" keybind, but it doesn't cycle.

3. Is there a way to change macro tooltips (not just the icon, but the actual mouseover tooltip)?

4. Is there a macro command to mark an enemy that doesn't toggle the mark (only turns it on)? As a tank, I'd like to mark my current target by binding a command into my common attacks, but it seems like "/enemysign attack1" toggles the mark on and off. I'd rather not have to give it its own keybind, so I'd like it to mark the enemy and not toggle the mark off.

Noaksey

Neo Member
If you plan to really get into crafting/gathering, being able to create your own is a must since it can be expensive.

EDIT: Battle gear can be more tricky to convert since there's so much more options. Trying for savage aim/might and ending up with elemental materia can be mean.

Savage Aim? .. Might ?

I will get Materia crafting. Which job do I level for it Alchemy ?

Savage Aim? .. Might ?

what? You can convert gear that is 100% spirit bound into materia. You will see the convert option when you right click certain gear. You may need to do a quest in central thanalan to unlock the option of converting.

materia themselves are enhancements to gear that give the piece extra stats. You dont even need to worry about materia unless you are making a 2.0 relic or making high end crafting gear. Otherwise for just leveling not even worth worrying about what materia does or can do

MogCakes

If you queue up for main story roulette you've made the conscious choice knowing full well what to expect. Don't like people watching CS? Don't queue.

Noob Alert:

If I own the base game (and haven't beat all the content at all), and I buy the HS expansion, can I still start a new character from the beginning with one of the new HS jobs? I want to play a Dark Knight

grimmiq

Savage Aim? .. Might ?

When you fight, you've probably noticed every now and then you'll get a notification that your spiritbonding of a certain piece of gear is complete.

When a piece of equipment is at 100% spiritbond, you can then convert it into Materia (You lose the item), the Materia you get varies based on the level of the item and the slot, if you look around there are/were charts with common/uncommon materia based on slots.

Some are seen as nearly useless, while others are expensive (You could get a DEX materia that sold for 5k, or a +CRIT materia that sold for 450k from the same item, based on luck), with the new expansion most Materia prices took a nosedive, though I think they're adding another tier for lvl60 gear.

Noob Alert:

If I own the base game (and haven't beat all the content at all), and I buy the HS expansion, can I still start a new character from the beginning with one of the new HS jobs? I want to play a Dark Knight

Unfortunately no, all the new jobs have their quests begin in Ishgard, and to get there you need to get to 50 and complete the 2.0 main story. When you unlock the new jobs they start at 30 though.

Stuart444

Noob Alert:

No, you must beat the story and enter Ishgard to take on one of the new jobs.

Only thing HW gets is the Au ra race if you start a new character.

deoee

You get 4800xp from each of the 2.1 to 2.55 MSQ from what I recall. I just finished it myself on Friday. The story gets crazy in a good way.

I went from about level 50 to level 52 during those quests. Now that I am on 3.0 content I jumped from 52 to 55 really fast thanks to the xp bump in MSQ and other quests. I am usually a level ahead of the actual quest levels that I am currently at in the story.

Hopefully this will make the grind from 56 to 57 and beyond not so bad for me.

I haven't even gone back and touched Binding Coil yet.

I'm in the same process getting to 3.0 plus I'm trying to do some daily dungeons in the process.

It's really Okish cause the quests are rather short.
But it is still a veeeery long process :D

Stuart444

You won't need it yet anyway, gotta reach level 50 and finish the main scenario quests first.

Then I guess you can decide later if you want it.

Well if they are going to buy it, I'd say buy it at level 49 so you can continue to get XP after 50. Every little bit helps.

Noaksey

Neo Member
what? You can convert gear that is 100% spirit bound into materia. You will see the convert option when you right click certain gear. You may need to do a quest in central thanalan to unlock the option of converting.

materia themselves are enhancements to gear that give the piece extra stats. You dont even need to worry about materia unless you are making a 2.0 relic or making high end crafting gear. Otherwise for just leveling not even worth worrying about what materia does or can do

OK so Materia is only usefull level 50 then?

When you fight, you've probably noticed every now and then you'll get a notification that your spiritbonding of a certain piece of gear is complete.

When a piece of equipment is at 100% spiritbond, you can then convert it into Materia (You lose the item), the Materia you get varies based on the level of the item and the slot, if you look around there are/were charts with common/uncommon materia based on slots.

Some are seen as nearly useless, while others are expensive (You could get a DEX materia that sold for 5k, or a +CRIT materia that sold for 450k from the same item, based on luck), with the new expansion most Materia prices took a nosedive, though I think they're adding another tier for lvl60 gear.

Unfortunately no, all the new jobs have their quests begin in Ishgard, and to get there you need to get to 50 and complete the 2.0 main story. When you unlock the new jobs they start at 30 though.

Oh OK :) good to know :)

You won't need it yet anyway, gotta reach level 50 and finish the main scenario quests first.

Then I guess you can decide later if you want it.

I mean if I have the expansion and am level 50 and do the final quests then surely I'll get exp. Meaning I have a better chance to get involved in the higher level stuff in new dlc?

Rising_Hei

If you need to stack the party with 4 non-physical-ranged classes to clear the Bismarck EX DPS check, your DPS is bad and should feel bad and you will likely have issues in any content that does justify bringing a battery class. Cleared both EXes in double physical ranged parties and it wasn't even particularly close. Bards and Machinist can still deal respectable burst, too, which is useful for corona/carapace or Ravana's physical vulnerability phase.

Yes things die faster if you bring people with a higher DPS ceiling, but neither EX has a really strict check provided DPS is playing moderately competently. The no BRD/MCH PFs just kind of make me think the person running them is probably terrible.

1) I'm tank
2) The DPSs came all from Party Finder, can't really blame me for the DPS of the people that joined and my leadership can't make someone with not very good DPS learn how to use their jobs properly. Everyone that was with me in those 3-4 hours would disagree with you.
3) I'm talking about what i've encountered. And before the nerf 90 %, of BRDs didn't know how to play their class properly (most wouldn't even use FOE requiem, the other 5 % wouldn't use it PROPERLY), now because of the nerf it's even worse. Of course there are exceptions :). But... it is a damn truth that a good BRD and MCH vs a good ANYTHING ELSE will always lose if they share ilvl and use a samey food, even adding the extra dmg of foe requiem, that's a damn fact, and when a wipe happens because of 1-3 seconds of DPS.... truth hurts. The wipes because of DPS were in the snakes by the way, bismark is usually a joke so those MCH fast and big burst aren't needed.
4) My Party Finders are anti bullshit and very forgiving, there aren't many people that don't ever do 1 fail 1 kick, drop lock and that is willing to explain everything and even bare the unbeareable.
5) Ravana 1 tank for ever, he only killed me once with his big attack, the only time i was caught offguard despite being my first time and haven't watched any videos or guides. And since it is very easy to do with 1 tank or with an OT going full DPS, the DPS check is more forgiving.

OK so Materia is only usefull level 50 then?

In the grand scheme of things, materia is useful in a small part of the overall game so you dont need to worry about it currently to enjoy the story/leveling.

The only time I would say you would need to worry about materia is if you want one of the 2.0 relic weapons since those require some materia infused weapons and if you want to turn that 2.0 relic weapon into a zeta weapon, which isnt worth the trouble now unless you like how it looks

Noaksey

Neo Member
In the grand scheme of things, materia is useful in a small part of the overall game so you dont need to worry about it currently to enjoy the story/leveling.

The only time I would say you would need to worry about materia is if you want one of the 2.0 relic weapons since those require some materia infused weapons and if you want to turn that 2.0 relic weapon into a zeta weapon, which isnt worth the trouble now unless you like how it looks

Sadly I am so new I have literally no idea what a Relic weapon or a Zeta weapon is :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I dunno. I actually laughed when this guy whined about getting the raid done quick without being able to soak in the cutscenes. I'd rather have an efficient group for old content, even if it comes at the cost of stuff being blazed through.
With how much content is in the game most of the early story is really irrelevant/not worth paying attention to anyways. It's not really problematic for most of the 2.1 and on dungeons/raids though. If you're not there early you should never expect to experience MMO content fresh.

Stuart444

Sadly I am so new I have literally no idea what a Relic weapon or a Zeta weapon is :(

A relic weapon was a quest line that allowed you to get a weapon with custom stats on it eventually ending up as a Zeta weapon from 2.1-ish until 2.5 or so. (forget the exact patches lol). It was basically a grindy weapon for people who had nothing to do/didn't want to do Coil and was the best weapon outside the Coil weapon (or best weapon full stop for min maxing since you can put custom stats on it).

It involved doing all the HM primals in the early stage (when we only had Garuda, Titan and Ifrit), buying stuff with tomes (Myth, sol, etc depending on when you were doing them since tomestones go away every major patch), running dungeons and fates over and over, etc.

You don't need to worry about it much, we'll have a new relic quest introduced later on that will last until 4.0 probably.

In all honesty, the FFXIV team needs to take a look at their DX11 client because it's fucking up a great deal of users with 970/980+ cards right now. Constant crashes forcing a complete system reboot. It effects me as well. Any moment I zone into the old Eorzea zones, I will crash. 100%. At times, the same will happen in Ishgard zones. There are giant threads on the official forums and on reddit. DX11 is unplayable for me now. =/ A shame.

It's a problem with the game client.

(1) Turn off all applications that create an overlay. FRAPS, MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, Geforce Experience, etc.

(2) Are you overclocked? Revert to stock and try that.

(3) Here's where you get into trying weird solutions. Hopefully you haven't gotten this far. Reddit post has more:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3avur2/dx11_client_possible_fix_if_your_game_keeps/

Good luck. It took me 4 days to fix my crashes with my new 980 Ti.

Sorian

Banned
I dunno. I actually laughed when this guy whined about getting the raid done quick without being able to soak in the cutscenes. I'd rather have an efficient group for old content, even if it comes at the cost of stuff being blazed through.

With how much content is in the game most of the early story is really irrelevant/not worth paying attention to anyways. It's not really problematic for most of the 2.1 and on dungeons/raids though. If you're not there early you should never expect to experience MMO content fresh.

Who are you to say the early story isn't very relevant?
The answer is you are wrong and should feel bad for even saying that.

Noaksey

Neo Member
A relic weapon was a quest line that allowed you to get a weapon with custom stats on it eventually ending up as a Zeta weapon from 2.1-ish until 2.5 or so. (forget the exact patches lol). It was basically a grindy weapon for people who had nothing to do/didn't want to do Coil and was the best weapon outside the Coil weapon (or best weapon full stop for min maxing since you can put custom stats on it).

It involved doing all the HM primals in the early stage (when we only had Garuda, Titan and Ifrit), buying stuff with tomes (Myth, sol, etc depending on when you were doing them since tomestones go away every major patch), running dungeons and fates over and over, etc.

You don't need to worry about it much, we'll have a new relic quest introduced later on that will last until 4.0 probably.

Oh OK :)

Uthred

The early story sets up the main plot threads that are still the driving force behind the current content, introduces you to all the major NPC's (the majority of whom are still deeply involved in the main storyline) and the setting at large. Clearly irrelevant. Considering the only barrier to experiencing the content as intended is selfish players whining then in the context of story there is no meaningful reason you cant experience the story content as intended.

Qvoth

finally beat ravana ex, fucking finally
still don't understand how you evade swift liberation 1st charge, the other charges i can evade easily but not the 1st, just now i even sprinted early and i still got hit by the charge to 2nd sword

Sorian

Banned
finally beat ravana ex, fucking finally
still don't understand how you evade swift liberation 1st charge, the other charges i can evade easily but not the 1st, just now i even sprinted early and i still got hit by the charge to 2nd sword

I'm confused, what are you trying to dodge? Are you one of the swords in this example?

Top Bottom