• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

MechaX

What they did to Sidewinder is kind of a slap in the face. They're pretty much saying "well, look at this massive hit Sidewinder took! But hey, I know of a damage stance that increases your DPS and would get you back to the old sidewinder damage (slightly)!"

That Alexander theme is aces.

I want to go run it now, but it's early and I'm not 100% right now.

I'll hit it when I wake up.

Cuff of the Father is the worst.

Oh, and the Monk Alexander gear looks really nice. Very happy with it.

I don't think I've seen the Monk stuff yet. Link please?

iammeiam

Blehhhhhhh
Just...
BLEHHHHHHH

I like the way Bard plays at 60 with minuet but man, they didn't address any real concerns about the class re: movement ability. They upped base damage while in the stance but nerfed the two best reasons to be in the stance. Why? I mean I guess the potency drop isn't that bad, but you can't give and take in the same breath.

They seem to have heard and responded to the cries of people who want to stance dance, and made that more possible, but doubled down on not wanting you to do it. This seems better implemented on Machinist (RIP Ricochet, you were a bro) where the potency cuts basically almost even out for stance dancers with all the gains coming from all the buttons you push under the effects of GB that aren't the two cooldowns. On Bard it's a little more subtle, since Sidewinder works out of Minuet, but basically the same thing. The extra damage _should_ make 100% uptime edge ahead of no/toggle, incentivizing actually using it, but they paired it with letting you drop in and out for burst to help ease some of the complaining.

Whatever mobility fix they eventually come up with for Bard if any will require decent work, though. Like redo Minuet entirely work.

Valor

TOn Bard it's a little more subtle, since Sidewinder works out of Minuet, but basically the same thing. The extra damage _should_ make 100% uptime edge ahead of no/toggle, incentivizing actually using it, but they paired it with letting you drop in and out for burst to help ease some of the complaining.

Like, I don't know why they bothered to cut the damage output of EA. Effectively they knocked it down like 4 potency with the WM changes, and nerfed Sidewinder to an insane degree. Goodbye, dreams of 8000 damage crits. I wish we could have gotten to know each other before you were ripped away from me.

I guess it's fine since you have a 325 potency sidewinder in stance and a 250 out of stance. That's a decent potency swing. Still, the clunkiness will continue with the EA cast time and shit. Yeah, it should make WM a more viable option but... I dunno. Why mess with EA since it's WM only? Shouldn't that be a huge incentive to use it? I guess in the end it's still the same potency, but I am still sad inside.

Like, I don't know why they bothered to cut the damage output of EA. Effectively they knocked it down like 4 potency with the WM changes, and nerfed Sidewinder to an insane degree. Goodbye, dreams of 8000 damage crits. I wish we could have gotten to know each other before you were ripped away from me.

I guess it's fine since you have a 325 potency sidewinder in stance and a 250 out of stance. That's a decent potency swing. Still, the clunkiness will continue with the EA cast time and shit. Yeah, it should make WM a more viable option but... I dunno. Why mess with EA since it's WM only? Shouldn't that be a huge incentive to use it? I guess in the end it's still the same potency, but I am still sad inside.

Haman told me Dragoon is pretty cool.

Pancho

Qurupancho
And of course the dps fails the dps check on the first floor :)
This is great!
Bad dps is seriously killing my enjoyment for this game.

BadRNG

Turn 1 seems pretty straighforward, but DF is always there to amaze you with how bad people can be. You know you're in for a bad time when a group in 170+ is doing a couple hundred less dps than groups in 130 were doing.

I like the theme I guess though.

Ken

Did A1 to A3.
It's cute and well-presented but the fights aren't really that fun to me, which is probably a far worse offense than being too easy, especially if this is stuff we're going to farm weekly.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Turn 1 seems pretty straighforward, but DF is always there to amaze you with how bad people can be. You know you're in for a bad time when a group in 170+ is doing a couple hundred less dps than groups in 130 were doing.

Bad dps sticks like a sore thumb since the group has to split in two. Reached the enrage timer and either of the two weren't even near to dying.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...cond-most-popular-subscriptionbased-mmo-33713
During today's Japan Expo, Final Fantasy XIV Producer Naoki Yoshida shared that the game has accumulated a total of five million paid subscribers during its 21 months on the market.
Estimates place FFXIV at around 800,000 to 1.2 million subscribers after a one million subscriber bump from February's announced total of four million, averaging at around 9,000 new players per day over four months. Significant post-launch updates and the arrival of Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward have been key components to recent growth.
Anyone want to make a thread about this?

FFXIV is the 2nd most popular MMO in the market right now!

Tash

Alex Healer Torso - very paladin, no?

download

not sure what I think about this..

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
WoW, obviously.

The most impressive nugget from that article is that EVE Online is 3rd at a scant 300,000 subscribers.

iammeiam

I really think they just didn't want to buff stance dancers. Dropping into WM for fully buffed and Barrage'd EA alongside Sidewinder was already crazy good burst; they didn't want to add 10% more to it. They acknowledge, I think, that a lot of people just flat never used it, and they're trying to change that, but the changes to damage largely seem to reward people who use the stance long-term. While still, of course, keeping the DPS ceiling firmly in-place because lol.

Basically I think they might have fixed to "no advantage to Minuet" problem by buffing it enough to cancel out the lost autos. The actual mechanical issues are pretty ingrained in Minuet, and the overall DPS gap is apparently a feature, not a bug.

Noi

Just beat last floor. The first three floors are fairly easy, its the last one where the real fight is.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
T1-2 down, got 2 accessory tokens total. It felt good to get 4 commendations as a DPS for figuring out how to do T2 after 3 wipes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Why you think babby mode exists? lol

I unlocked Dragoon last night *yes, I'm a complete noob and I'm sure all of GAF is way ahead of me* but I'm loving the game all the same. It's surprisingly lttp friendly.

AgeEighty

Did A1 to A3.
It's cute and well-presented but the fights aren't really that fun to me, which is probably a far worse offense than being too easy, especially if this is stuff we're going to farm weekly.

Bear in mind this version exists only to allow people to experience the story for the most part. The "fun" version comes in another couple weeks.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
There's a reason why Alphinaud is a central character this expansion and Alisae is nowhere to be seen.

The reason being too much of a good thing is a bad thing. This way we can hate Alphinaud for being an annoying self-important asshole without reservations.

Jayhawk

Make sure the first pieces of armor you get from Alexander normal aren't pieces you're going to be replacing immediately on week 1 or 2 of esoterics.

Top Bottom