• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Rosur

Been thinking of giving the trial ago for this (not played FFIV before) would it be worth me starting out now/ how hard is it for casual mmo players?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Having waited for Ishgard for five years now, I have to say they totally nailed the design of Ishgard. I absolutely love it, and it feels like Jeuno. Excellent design all around.

Holy shit, Jeuno was my first thought too!

Tiops

Been thinking of giving the trial ago for this (not played FFIV before) would it be worth me starting out now/ how hard is it for casual mmo players?
Yes, it's totally worth it. And depends what's your intention with the game. Just the main story? Pretty easy. High level raiding can be pretty tough, though. But there are also high level stuff that is easy to complete.

neoemonk

I'm a few patches behind (I think I beat Leviathan). I'm planning on resubbing this weekend. Any reason I should buy Heavensward now, or should I wait until I clear out the patch content through 2.5?

glaurung

It's definitely less casual than WoW, but the more complex stuff is gated at higher levels anyhow.

It's a great trial, you should definitely do it.

So I got my Early Access but not the code for the expansion itself. On my Moogle Station it says Early Access but I don't have the xpac on my account yet. Are they supposed to send another code later?

Epcott

I want to get back into to this sooo bad and rejoin Ultros GAF. I just don't think I have the patience and dedication to go back %100 like before.

Nameless

Freely admit I could be imagining this, but does the PS4 version look a little....cleaner to anyone else? IDK could just be the withdrawals.

The EXP boost is legit, though. Jumped nearly two levels in an hour. Might actually get to Heavensward by Independence Day.

highlander > roe > elezen > midlander >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lalafell >= au ra

I like you

LtOrange

It feels so good to be excited for an expansion again. I have been searching for my next MMO for a very long time and FFXIV has been the only one that I have wanted play for more than two months. Now I just need to get through this workday!

WolvenOne

Okay, consulted a friend of mine, and it looks like my computer isn't a simple fix. Best case scenario is that I have it working again sometime next week.

I've purchased the PS4 bundle to keep me from going insane in there meantime. Frankly, having a copy of the game that I can play if my computer goes on the fritz again is probably a good idea anyway. Barring my difficulties I should be able to play sometime today.

Scher

wIIoznD.png

I love that this fate is basically "We used catnip to ward off bugs, but then a bunch of flying cats invaded!"

Took a while but I managed to get DoF working again with reshade. Phew.

Wow that looks nice :eek: is it as simple as applying ReShade to FF14 and enable DoF in ReShades config?

Hey guys. I'm having trouble getting the Pre-order key. I ahve the Heavensward key but not the pre-order key. Anyone know where they get the pre-order key if you ordered through Amazon?

Mine came by email from Amazon.de a week ago, hopefully the Customer Support can help you fast :/

Is it normal I can only play A Realm Reborn with DirectX 9.0c? And is X 11 only for Heavensward?

You have to enable DX11 in the actual game-launcher via the new Configuration button, then it will apply to the whole game :)

Okay, consulted a friend of mine, and it looks like my computer isn't a simple fix. Best case scenario is that I have it working again sometime next week.

I've purchased the PS4 bundle to keep me from going insane in there meantime. Frankly, having a copy of the game that I can play if my computer goes on the fritz again is probably a good idea anyway. Barring my difficulties I should be able to play sometime today.

Whats wrong with your PC? :/

fedexpeon

Banned
Awesome...Just 80 more main quests to go to even play the expansion =/.
This is the 1st MMO that I have played that content locks you in like this.

As I stated this morning, DRK is insanely op and I love it. Got to 31 in Haukke. Also props to the best mmo xpac launch I've seen in a long time. Pretty much nothing went wrong (for the first two hours at least).

Awesome...Just 80 more main quests to go to even play the expansion =/.
This is the 1st MMO that I have played that content locks you in like this.
There are a few things about the expansion you can still access - for example, leveling up past 50 is disabled without the expansion. And as was said, the game (as any Final Fantasy game) is extremely story based; going by the story, Ishgard is very distrusting of strangers, and would not let random people in, until events that happen late in storyline.

Rosur

Yes, it's totally worth it. And depends what's your intention with the game. Just the main story? Pretty easy. High level raiding can be pretty tough, though. But there are also high level stuff that is easy to complete.

Probably just gonna do the story when If I do start due to not having enough time for raiding used to with WoW and played a lot of EvE so guess depends how much I end up liking it.

WolvenOne

Whats wrong with your PC? :/

Main problem: All USB ports no longer work.

Compounding Problems: disc drive is broken, copy of windows 8 is misplaced.

The former I was aware of, was gonna order a new drive in like a week. The later is kinda a shock, and you just know the old disc will show up the second I order a new one! XD

Vashetti

Banned
How does the physical PS4 version work? Does the disc 'update' the copy of ARR (I have the PS3 upgrade version) on the PS4?

Does the disc have to be in every time you want to play?

Main problem: All USB ports no longer work.

Compounding Problems: disc drive is broken, copy of windows 8 is misplaced.

The former I was aware of, was gonna order a new drive in like a week. The later is kinda a shock, and you just know the old disc will show up the second I order a new one! XD

Oh dear that's a tough one, do the USB ports still work on a BIOS/EFI level and do they stop working in Windows or are they fully unusable? :/

iammeiam

It feels totally different. Rip double oGCDs, RIP constantly pushing things, I'm having a hard time forcing my brain to downshift into the do nothing and wait mode. Second and a half feels like forever when you're trying to stack opener buffs.

They did change Heavier Shot--if Straighter Shot procs, Straighter Shot has no cast time in Minuet. Don't see similar procs for anything else, though.

I just got my amazon early access code. Check your email now. If you didn't get it yet pretty sure you can call them and the rep will make sure you get it.

Unfortunately I'm at work now and will have to install/download when I get home later today. >.<

Semper88

Unlocked Minuet.

Not feeling it. Everything is so damned slow.

It feels totally different. Rip double oGCDs, RIP constantly pushing things, I'm having a hard time forcing my brain to downshift into the do nothing and wait mode. Second and a half feels like forever when you're trying to stack opener buffs.

They did change Heavier Shot--if Straighter Shot procs, Straighter Shot has no cast time in Minuet. Don't see similar procs for anything else, though.

Its what I feared after I've seen the little class video, the cast time looks so dull.. :(

Try Machinist?

Wilsongt

Played since launch... Machinist is fun. I did some MSQ stuff... and fought some monsters.

Titan got wrecked. So nice to go someplace on the map, look at a mob and go "Nope."

WolvenOne

Oh dear that's a tough one, do the USB ports still work on a BIOS/EFI level and do they stop working in Windows or are they fully unusable? :/

They work in the bios, and I can get a charge off them, they just become unresponsive once Windows boots.

This happened once before, flashing the Bios fixed it. Not really an option right now with my disc drive busted, buuuuuut, I think my work will let me cannibalize/borrow a drive for a few days if I ask nicely.

iammeiam

Its what I feared after I've seen the little class video, the cast time looks so dull.. :(

Try Machinist?

Not yet; I did the unlock quest but am trying to get to 60 first before I start another job.

Machinist will be tough to get a real feel for early on--they get their Gauss Barrel Minuet at 52 so it'll take a while to get to that point. They do seem to have more skills that will proc instant casts for better weaving, but I dunno.

Edit: Just died; Minuet stays active through death. Pretty sure stance dancing isn't an intended thing at this point.

Hasney

They work in the bios, and I can get a charge off them, they just become unresponsive once Windows boots.

This happened once before, flashing the Bios fixed it. Not really an option right now with my disc drive busted, buuuuuut, I think my work will let me cannibalize/borrow a drive for a few days if I ask nicely.

Or if you can get the BIOS on a USB stick from another computer/friend, you can flash it that way? I think most modern BIOS let you do that.

WolvenOne

Or if you can get the BIOS on a USB stick from another computer/friend, you can flash it that way? I think most modern BIOS let you do that.

Probably, I'd have to borrow a usb-stick from work though. I've honestly never had a use for them before. XD

Top Bottom