• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Sorian

Banned
Make sure the first pieces of armor you get from Alexander normal aren't pieces you're going to be replacing immediately on week 1 or 2 of esoterics.

That's hard to know without knowing esoteric stats.

I'd recommend not taking any CHEST pieces from Alex and just making that your first esoteric piece though, seems to make more sense.

Jayhawk

That's hard to know without knowing esoteric stats.

I'd recommend not taking any tank pieces from Alex and just making that your first esoteric piece though, seems to make more sense.

Esoterics is higher ilevel and with the way secondary stat weights are right now, you're really just adjusting for differences in base stats and accuracy between gear.

Plus, esoterics is the new AF so glamour-centric folks will also lean towards the AF pieces they like first.

Arkeband

Banned
Make sure the first pieces of armor you get from Alexander normal aren't pieces you're going to be replacing immediately on week 1 or 2 of esoterics.

How to choose gear:
  • TP to Foundation
  • Look at the gear people are standing around in
  • Clear Alexander
  • Choose gear people in Foundation weren't wearing
  • Stand around in Foundation

This is the only way to gear in an MMO.

Sorian

Banned
How to choose gear:
  • TP to Foundation
  • Look at the gear people are standing around in
  • Clear Alexander
  • Choose gear people in Foundation weren't wearing
  • Stand around in Foundation

This is the only way to gear in an MMO.

No one hangs out in foundation.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Ah FFS Square-Enix you didn't do anything with Warden's Paean and the song is still completely useless thanks to the fact that there's always goinn be a Healer on the team with an Esuna like Spell on any dungeon/raid we do.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Esoterics is higher ilevel and with the way secondary stat weights are right now, you're really just adjusting for differences in base stats and accuracy between gear.

Plus, esoterics is the new AF so glamour-centric folks will also lean towards the AF pieces they like first.

Considering most of Bard Alexander gear is trash I expect AF2 to be a lot better like Myth vs. Coil 1 was.

Sorian

Banned

Oh man, my first post is dumb. I meant to say you shouldn't take any chest pieces from Alexander and just buy that first with esoterics. Apologies, editing now.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Considering most of Bard Alexander gear is trash I expect AF2 to be a lot better like Myth vs. Coil 1 was.
I'm still confused as to how they're coming up with gear that is supposedly trash for a given job.

Reknoc

MGhnFAw.jpg

Preach, preach

Saw this on Reddit:

lol

Teletraan1

Banned
Don't want to wait for people watching cutscenes? Don't queue for story missions.

Simple as.

End of.

If anyone tells you otherwise just ignore them or say "too bad". They made their choice to queue so feel free to make yours.

Exactly.

Leveling dungeons shouldn't be used as speedrun material as well but since there is little story involved nobody seems to care or have a ground to be offended when the dungeons I waited 20m+ to get into a run that turns into a run to the end no XP affair. I get that having the pool of people doing LLDR facilitates more people to play with however I would have waited 30m if I was actually going to get some XP out of it. But yeah wouldn't want to waste someone else's time. Heaven
sward
forbid.

The community at large for this game kind of sucks. If it isn't parseholes or speed runners it is clueless aggressive people. I was almost vote kicked out of a dungeon the other day because a healer refused to heal me while activating a magitek terminal next to an exploding crystal in DD. "You shouldn't be taking damage you shitty dps" "I am not fucking healing you." I was told. When only the tank and myself had any clue as to having to stand in those to open the way through. Simply not possible to avoid damage when there are only 2 of us trying to activate the damn thing. I even waited until after the blast went off to go in. Randoms are so random sometimes.

When I finally was 47+ I was only able to stomach 1 run of AV and it had nothing to do with the dungeon. Just the grouping. I had one group that lost 7 people in a row to leaving at the entrance without a single mob killed. So tack on an additional 10-15m waiting for more people. Mostly level 60s doing LLDR from what I could tell. People kill EX primals but A fucking V slows their roll. They should be embarrassed. When we finally got 4 people that would stay the dungeon was easy (even with a first time tank) but I wasn't going through that community imposed bs again so I was forced to finish my hunting log and grind fates at the end to hit 50. There was screen full of people in N Than all probably dodging AV doing the same thing.

Finally into the HW content now and I am impressed so far. The scale of everything is huge and there seems to be much more voice acting this round. I actually like the new voices too.

Sorian

Banned

The thing you mention about AV, no one likes running it because it syncs people down to level 49. It's a weird effect being knocked down that one level because most classes lose their lynch pin ability that forms their whole rotation and all of their gear becomes mostly useless.

It seems like WM/GB is something you want to keep up as much as possible now. They really want to change the way these jobs are played and that kind of sucks for those that are attached to the old mechanics or really enjoyed the mobility. I like the concept but I don't really play Bard so I don't have any strong feelings either way. Interested in trying out Machinist though.

Anyone see the Machinist Ravana EX with 1000 DPS (combined with turret)? This was pre-patch and it looks like GB was up the majority of the time. I guess Yoshi P was right - git gud Machinists.

MogCakes

"You shouldn't be taking damage you shitty dps" "I am not fucking healing you." I was told.

(...)

Finally into the HW content now and I am impressed so far. The scale of everything is huge and there seems to be much more voice acting this round. I actually like the new voices too.

HW is amazing, you'll love it. In my experience a lot of healers are on power trips of the "I CONTROL YOUR LIFE I HAVE AUTHORITY" variant. I say that as someone who played SCH extensively before HW.

Sorian

Banned
Anyone see the Machinist Ravana EX with 1000 DPS (combined with turret)? This was pre-patch and it looks like GB was up the majority of the time. I guess Yoshi P was right - git gud Machinists.

This sounds like a number that came from improper encounter culling in ACT.

ebil

The community at large for this game kind of sucks. If it isn't parseholes or speed runners it is clueless aggressive people. I was almost vote kicked out of a dungeon the other day because a healer refused to heal me while activating a magitek terminal next to an exploding crystal in DD. "You shouldn't be taking damage you shitty dps" "I am not fucking healing you." I was told.
I once was let die repeatedly in Darkhold because I accidentally ripped hate from the tank on a boss as NIN. Healer would go out of their way to let me die from all unavoidable damage. Some players are just terrible at being a human being.

still got 2 commendations.

Arkeband

Banned
Exactly.

Leveling dungeons shouldn't be used as speedrun material as well but since there is little story involved nobody seems to care or have a ground to be offended when the dungeons I waited 20m+ to get into a run that turns into a run to the end no XP affair. I get that having the pool of people doing LLDR facilitates more people to play with however I would have waited 30m if I was actually going to get some XP out of it. But yeah wouldn't want to waste someone else's time. Heaven
sward
forbid.

The community at large for this game kind of sucks. If it isn't parseholes or speed runners it is clueless aggressive people. I was almost vote kicked out of a dungeon the other day because a healer refused to heal me while activating a magitek terminal next to an exploding crystal in DD. "You shouldn't be taking damage you shitty dps" "I am not fucking healing you." I was told. When only the tank and myself had any clue as to having to stand in those to open the way through. Simply not possible to avoid damage when there are only 2 of us trying to activate the damn thing. I even waited until after the blast went off to go in. Randoms are so random sometimes.

When I finally was 47+ I was only able to stomach 1 run of AV and it had nothing to do with the dungeon. Just the grouping. I had one group that lost 7 people in a row to leaving at the entrance without a single mob killed. So tack on an additional 10-15m waiting for more people. Mostly level 60s doing LLDR from what I could tell. People kill EX primals but A fucking V slows their roll. They should be embarrassed. When we finally got 4 people that would stay the dungeon was easy (even with a first time tank) but I wasn't going through that community imposed bs again so I was forced to finish my hunting log and grind fates at the end to hit 50. There was screen full of people in N Than all probably dodging AV doing the same thing.

The crowd of "I'm playing the way I want to play, it's my subscription" are the ones who do this - they're either utterly clueless and are queuing for things without their job crystal or they're suddenly hardcore converts who forget, in their inspired rush to be better than anyone else, that you need to be a little flexible when running with people you don't know. You have to balance speedrunning with realistic expectations.

I had to run ~120 dungeons I got otherwise nothing out of for my Zeta, I didn't sit there wasting time berating people for being dumb. If they were legitimately making the run take forever I'd weigh the time investment required to kick them or I'd address the issue and keep things moving. I ain't got time for self-destructive drama. It's like people in DotA who get pissed at their teammates in the 50th minute and decide to throw the game - you're almost there just fucking grin and bear it.

dramatis

No one hangs out in foundation.
Well, they don't hang out in Foundation, but they do hang out in Jeweled Crozier. Just not the combat types, but the crafting types.

For them though, the proven visual signs of excellency are a Thavnarian Bustier (have you heard? Jayhawk is selling an HQ one) and how pricey the stuff they put on the market board is. Alternatively you can be colorblind like Jayhawk is and run around in gaudy silver and gold clothes.

iammeiam

This sounds like a number that came from improper encounter culling in ACT.

Nope, but it's really 892 unmerged. In the Reddit thread he mentions merging the parse bumps him to 1045; they only had 45 seconds of downtime. It comes from a few things:

- Stacked group. Nin/DRG provide DPS boosts to his base damage.

- Constant and incredibly smart Gauss Barrel usage. If you track down the video (I linked it last night), he only moves minimally during the orb chase segment and has more procs than he needed.

- Smart use of cooldowns counter to conventional wisdom. Notably, he does not hold anything for the first vulnerability phase. The way timers line up, his first two bursts are during normal damage phase IIRC, with the third being a redo of the opener and finally hitting a vuln phase. Holding CDs and Wildfire would end up costing him the third wildfire and would be a net DPS loss.

- Fight length. Ravana dies shortly after the last Wildfire explodes, ending on a burst phase instead of an extended sustained period. They end early enough to skip things that would drag overall DPS down, too. The 3.01 changes should give MCH a decent sustained boost, but ending on burst will inflate things.

I don't think the numbers are that surprising--I think the pure DPS jobs played as well as that guy plays Machinist should still come in 100-200 DPS higher and this guy is probably bumping his head on the hard MCH ceiling--it's just the first combat parse we have of a really good MCH.

creid

I really need to stop wasting my time in PF. I've been trying Bismarck EX on and off for the last week, and people are somehow getting worse as time goes on. First night we could hit enrage, or get halfway through the weather phase. Second night, people couldn't get past the snakes. Last night people couldn't meet the phase 1 DPS check. I guess the good players get their clear and stop joining clear parties, leaving only people who don't know their rotation?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Beaten Alex with PFs. Somehow don't really want to go back. DRG left-side gear feels kinda crapi-o anyway. Mehhhh. Coil this is not.

Arkeband

Banned
I personally feel like making 'super accessible' versions of raid content deflates the whole intrigue and drive of doing raid content in the first place.

I guess I'll see if I want to spend ~6-8 hours a week banging my head against content I've already seen just for slightly more powerful gear on the gear treadmill. The reward, for me, wasn't the gear, it was seeing new bosses and new environments. The gear was just the means to an end.

Basically there's no way I would have spent weeks doing T9 if there was an easier version available that let me see beyond it.

Jayhawk

The main stat, vitality, and defense boosts on left side gear from i180 to i190 are pretty big. That defense and HP could be the difference in savage week 1.

Sorian

Banned
Enjoying the cry babies on reddit finding everything to whine about.

"Stop calling them Turns please, it's floors now" - No one cares

"The stat spread on this gear isn't everything that I want it to be" - Sucks, git gud

Moaradin

if I like this new system of raids entirely depends on how savage mode turns out. If making normal mode the accessible version lets them go all out for savage, then I'm all for it.

MogCakes

After all the hullabaloo pre-HW about gear stats, I'm content to just have the appropriate ilvl and ACC. Playing my job well gives me better DPS than 90% of other players anyway, regardless of minor stat differences.

I guess Twin was ok? What stand out enemies were there in T1-5? Cause they were all junk to me.

Twin was awesome, but comparing it to first coil isn't what i want from a new raid.
First coil to second coil was a massive leap forward in design, dont see why alex feels so backwards

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The main stat, vitality, and defense boosts on left side gear from i180 to i190 are pretty big. That defense and HP could be the difference in savage week 1.

Depends on the damage output I suppose. But then good luck getting a chest or leg piece by the time Savage is out if the items for those only drop in Floor 4.

Sorian

Banned
Twin was awesome, but comparing it to first coil isn't what i want from a new raid.
First coil to second coil was a massive leap forward in design, dont see why alex feels so backwards

We're back at step one, exploring a new place, bottom of the scrap heap as it were. Not every enemy can be realm threatening right from the get go. Also some people aren't going to be impressed because some people are going to like the aesthetic more of dragons as opposed to goblin machinery.

Tabris

Depends on the damage output I suppose. But then good luck getting a chest or leg piece by the time Savage is out if the items for those only drop in Floor 4.

Legs drop in Floor 3 and 4. So you can get those on 2nd week.

So you can either do the following combinations:

Legs, Feet, Waist, Accessory

or

Hands, Feet, Waist, Head, + 1 Token for Body or Legs

For Savage (assuming you don't do quick runs of Normal Mode on Week 3 before trying Savage)

Sorian

Banned
I'll repeat again, don't waste a lockout on the chest piece. You'll be able to buy the better esoterics piece on the same week where you'd be able to get the bad alex chest piece.

iammeiam

So you queue for the whole thing at once and just run through it like CT? Or can you just queue per-floor?

Also lol@them apparently fixing the titles that made no sense. The great mystery of why Ravana awarded Illuminati Quencher resolved!

Sorian

Banned
So you queue for the whole thing at once and just run through it like CT? Or can you just queue per-floor?

Also lol@them apparently fixing the titles that made no sense. The great mystery of why Ravana awarded Illuminati Quencher resolved!

You can just queue per turn.

Edit: And be excited for trash always.

Ayumi

How can I change the second hotbar's shortcuts? (The one above the standard bottom one.)
My CTRL key is in a different location than normal due to languages, so it's really inconvenient for me, and I would love to make it SHIFT+number instead.
Tried looking in the settings but I couldn't find anything.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How can I change the second hotbar's shortcuts? (The one above the standard bottom one.)
My CTRL key is in a different location than normal due to languages, so it's really inconvenient for me, and I would love to make it SHIFT+number instead.
Tried looking in the settings but I couldn't find anything.

Esc -> Keybind?

It's a separate menu from System Configuration and Character Configuration because reasons. (Probably for the benefit of console players)

Top Bottom