• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Good god, the amount of updates this game needs to install before I'm even able to start is ridiculous. Why do I have to be in the client to download the 9 GB update? I could at least let it download in PS4 rest mode, but noooo, the client needs to be running.

I just want to start the damn game.

Sorian

Banned
Good god, the amount of updates this game needs to install before I'm even able to start is ridiculous. Why do I have to be in the client to download the 9 GB update? I could at least let it download in PS4 rest mode, but noooo, the client needs to be running.

First MMO?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Content streaming is standard these days in the MMO sphere but something something PS3 something something servers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
At the very least you're being hassled in-game rather than being hassled by a launcher trudging along at 100Kbps.

I guess that goes to show how crappy most DPS are. I thought the split happened at 50%, but it seems to be based on time.

That group was putting everyone on notice actually, did you see the numbers the tanks and heals were putting out? These guys are solid, every one of them.

Not saying that there isn't bad DPS in most DF/PF situations (EDIT: and even statics) but it wasn't just the DPS in this group blowing that boss up.

Aselith

The disk has a static version of the game so they aren't constantly reprinting the disk. The updates are all the stuff has been released since the print version was set.

Azzurri

Outside of FCs and maybe Linkshells is there anywhere that people sort of go just to idle and chat? Between doing endgame stuff I mean.

That was a big draw in the MMO I used to play for me, but there was a global chat system there, combined with a rather miniscule community.

Yes, I hate how's there no general channel in this game. I feel like I'm in a world where every one is a mute. With how many people i see running around, it feels empty because no one talks outside of their LS or FC.

fedexpeon

Banned
Yes, I hate how's there no general channel in this game. I feel like I'm in a world where every one is a mute. With how many people i see running around, it feels empty because no one talks outside of their LS or FC.

/sh Invite to hunt please!
/sh PF for XXXXXXX is up!

Seriously, that is all I ever see in this game.
Need to bring General and World Chat so people can socialize, create group, and sell their stuff with ease.

I just installed FF XIV on my PS4 and now it's "prepapring first-time setup", however it's taking too long. Is it safe to enter in rest mode?

fedexpeon

Banned
People flipped out about jumping and flying mounts, and you see how well that turned out.

What?! Complaining about jump???
No jumping=a bad MMO/game in general.
The first thing I ever do in any game is to make sure space=jump.
Probably the reason I couldn't play FF14 1.0...I think you can't even fall from a 1in ledge or go over a rock.
Am I misremembering thing?

scosher

Man, I missed all the WoW comparisons while at work, and all the references to it from someone who never even played the game.

WoW really didn't have that much more content than FFXIV, and even then, it would be several months before any major patch would add anything new to the game. I've played a bunch of MMO's in the past, and no one has really put out as much content every 3 months as Square has. It may not be the bleeding edge progression content that the 1% hardcore raiders want, but during the span of 2.0 - 2.5, we got 3 new dungeons every 3 months, new content such as PvP, player housing, hunts, Gold Saucer, etc., and a new level of Bahamut's Coil or Crystal Tower. That is an impressive feat. They probably could've spent more development time on raids rather than making so many 4-man dungeons, but otherwise, I've been a satisfied subscriber.

There are still some aspects of WoW raiding I miss. Their raid dungeon design is much better than Coil or Alexander. Exploring Karazhan, or Naxxramas wings or Icecrown Citadel were a lot more enjoyable than just having an instanced turn/floor with the same circular arena for every boss fight. I don't even know why they design it like this except out of laziness. WoW also had a lot more bosses per raid (I believe around 8-9). Some were literal loot pinatas like Patchwerk, but those were still enjoyable in their own right and a good break from the more difficult encounters. Lastly, gear itemization is simply a lot more varied and interesting in WoW, and this is the biggest area of improvement that Square needs to make. Gear in this game is all boring, and there's very little choice or experimentation. Give us set items, more secondary stat options, and trinkets with active effects (call them Relics if you will). Allow us to affix materia in dungeon gear for more customization, or have materia that has unique enchant effects on weapons like lifesteal or MP regen. Add in legendary items with unique procs like a 1% chance to proc Akh Morn. There's so much that FFXIV could do in this department, and I was really hoping Heavensward would break out of its monotonous gear grind for +1 stats.

Jomjom

Banned
Don't know if this is not ok in this thread. If it's not let me know and I'll delete it. I'll only post this only once too, so no worries about spamming.

I have a Heavensward preorder code for PC. It grants 3 bonus items that simply buying the game doesn't give. If anyone is perusing this thread is thinking about playing this game, I'd like to get a referral for it. It'd be cool if the person wants to play with me on Adamantoise, but if he/she wants to play on the GAF server that's cool too.

In any case, PM me and we can discuss it if anyone is interested!

Colors

Neo Member
I know it was pulled for sale and I know about all the performance issues and I know about bootcamp....

BUT.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a NA Mac game key anywhere? Even eBay is coming up with nothing.
On the same note, would a code even be able to be registered on mogstation if I did get my hands on one?

Stuart444

a lot more enjoyable than just having an instanced turn/floor with the same circular arena for every boss fight. I don't even know why they design it like this except out of laziness.

I do actually agree with wanting a better style of boss fight rather than the usual circular area. I think they addressed why once and said it made it so no class had a real arena advantage over another or something. (someone else could probably find where they said this).

Still I do agree with wanting something better than that.

orion434

What ilv gear converts into Type V materia? Does ilv 46 - 50 still guarantee Type III? The new gear giving Type II is kinda a bummer :(

Teknoman

What?! Complaining about jump???
No jumping=a bad MMO/game in general.
The first thing I ever do in any game is to make sure space=jump.
Probably the reason I couldn't play FF14 1.0...I think you can't even fall from a 1in ledge or go over a rock.
Am I misremembering thing?

You aren't. People were all "Jumping will break MY immersion >:U" when in all actuality, being able to jump around things, climb over objects, etc. ups immersion if you're going for that kinda thing. Something about people shouldn't be able to jump with armor on...but no one ever complained about Dragoons.

EDIT: That snake boss fight in first coil had me expecting future boss battles to have multi-tier platform arenas.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You aren't. People were all "Jumping will break MY immersion >:U" when in all actuality, being able to jump around things, climb over objects, etc. ups immersion if you're going for that kinda thing. Something about people shouldn't be able to jump with armor on...but no one ever complained about Dragoons.

EDIT: That snake boss fight in first coil had me expecting future boss battles to have multi-tier platform arenas.
Weren't people only complaining because FFXI/XIV didn't have jumping?

I guess some were afraid of the bunnyhopping completely destroying the immersion in other MMOs like WoW. /s

Aselith

What ilv gear converts into Type V materia? Does ilv 46 - 50 still guarantee Type III? The new gear giving Type II is kinda a bummer :(

The old stuff around i55 and above for gatherers and crafters does and I believe iLvl 70 crafted items do? You can actually get them form level 45 gear and that stuff will spiritbond faster so I've heard it is better. HQ will spiritbond twice as fast.

Uthred

I guess some were afraid of the bunnyhopping completely destroying the immersion in other MMOs like WoW. /s

Have to say, thats one "bad habit" that WoW ingrained, no matter the game, if you can a) jump and b) have to run around then I will be jumping around like a rabbit with rabies

Teknoman

Was a little of both. Don't like bunny hopping (or skill spam in town for that matter) either, but I do think there were an equal amount of people clamoring for either end.

I still want swimming / underwater areas.

Was a little of both. Don't like bunny hopping (or skill spam in town for that matter) either, but I do think there were an equal amount of people clamoring for either end.

I still want swimming / underwater areas.

why even play this game if I can't DBZ on someone's face as a MNK or annoy the living shit out of people by spamming Ring of Thorns on them?

smh

MogCakes

Floor 1 of Alexander really is quite easy. About as difficult as WoD. Hell the Behemoth fight in LotA was harder than this.

lol at the DPS not being able to meet DPS checks. Took the third run in DF to clear it

Floor 1 of Alexander really is quite easy. About as difficult as WoD. Hell the Behemoth fight in LotA was harder than this.

lol at the DPS not being able to meet DPS checks. Took the third run in DF to clear it

I did it with a pug tuesday night, and we wiped once because we didn't know about
the missle shirinkage
, once because we didn't know about
the explosion.
After that we just split up and finished it ok.

Doing it with 2 ninjas swapping TA was pretty fun

Has anyone ran into people with obnoxious macros?

I think the only one I've seen is from a Ninja on Sycrus Tower.

He had a macro for his Trick attack (in Alliance chat) that he spammed repeatedly, and it was about a paragraph long for one button press along with sound effects.

I honestly thought that one was pretty hilarious just because it was the first time I had encountered something like that.

He had a macro for his Trick attack (in Alliance chat) that he spammed repeatedly, and it was about a paragraph long for one button press along with sound effects.

I honestly thought that one was pretty hilarious just because it was the first time I had encountered something like that.

Well there's all the warriors with their 10lines berzerk timed macros like Used berzerk! <se.1> 10secs remaining on berzerk! <se.2> 5secs remaining on berzerk prepare to Esuna/Leeches! <se.11> 4secs! <se.5> 3secs! <se.2> 2secs! <se.3> 1sec! <se.7> BERZERK ENDED NOW PACIFIED REMOVE NOW <se.1><se.2><se.3><se.4><se.5>

It's like, one out of 2 warriors almost with one of these stupid macros. I never remove it if they have a macro spamming noises.

But in general yeah text macros are terrible. If you do one, you should really put a <wait.1> between the skill and the text, so if you spam it(which you do a lot if you're out of range or out of mana or just in general gameplay since macros don't queue) it doesn't also spam text, but eh.

Well there's all the warriors with their 10lines berzerk timed macros like Used berzerk! <se.1> 10secs remaining on berzerk! <se.2> 5secs remaining on berzerk prepare to Esuna/Leeches! <se.11> 4secs! <se.5> 3secs! <se.2> 2secs! <se.3> 1sec! <se.7> BERZERK ENDED NOW PACIFIED REMOVE NOW <se.1><se.2><se.3><se.4><se.5>

It's like, one out of 2 warriors almost with one of these stupid macros. I never remove it if they have a macro spamming noises.

But in general yeah text macros are terrible. If you do one, you should really put a <wait.1> between the skill and the text, so if you spam it(which you do a lot if you're out of range or out of mana or just in general gameplay since macros don't queue) it doesn't also spam text, but eh.

That sounds like a good idea. There are a few times when I've pressed my Hallowed Ground macro one too many times.

I just made one for Divine Veil just now, which I think is necessary for that skill since it require that another party member act on it to have any effect and I don't think many people even know what the skill does or what the animation looks like.

That sounds like a good idea. There are a few times when I've pressed my Hallowed Ground macro one too many times.

I just made one for Divine Veil just now, which I think is necessary for that skill since it require that another party member act on it to have any effect and I don't think many people even know what the skill does or what the animation looks like.

I guess you could say that, but it involves receiving a heal, on a paladin, so that's quite common really, unless offtanking. If it's like a large aoe phase or something too, people will aoe heal to proc it automatically so eh.

I think the one skill that can make good use of a macro is Living Dead. The skill is absolutely not obvious unless you actually know it.

I have run Alex over 20 times and have only gotten a SINGLE FUCKING DROP. last run on floor 1 I rolled a 91 and a 95, lost to 99s, then the run before that both items were fucking lenses which I was the one item I had already gotten! ARUGH

That's when I realized I need to stop for the night and just take my fucking L.

back in 2.1 there was a monk who had touch of death macro'd.

"bite that pillow *ENEMY NAME*....cause it's going in DRY!"

thank god we disbanded on atomos.

and i remember a dps with "BEAST MODE ACTIVATED!"<SE.1> <SE.1> whenever blood for blood or internal release was up for him.

and recently there was a pld in frontlines that macro'd his shield bash.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I have run Alex over 20 times and have only gotten a SINGLE FUCKING DROP. last run on floor 1 I rolled a 91 and a 95, lost to 99s, then the run before that both items were fucking lenses which I was the one item I had already gotten! ARUGH

That's when I realized I need to stop for the night and just take my fucking L.

You my friend are in dire need of a static. I got the Helmet Ring and Belt done today and also got the first piece I need for my chest. Put a group together and just do each floor until everyone gets what they want.

back in 2.1 there was a monk who had touch of death macro'd.

"bite that pillow *ENEMY NAME*....cause it's going in DRY!"

thank god we disbanded on atomos.

and i remember a dps with "BEAST MODE ACTIVATED!"<SE.1> <SE.1> whenever blood for blood or internal release was up for him.

and recently there was a pld in frontlines that macro'd his shield bash.

Was it "BASH! AH-AHH! He's king of the universe!"

Because that would have been fun.

I kind of miss goofy macros like the ones in XI

Top Bottom