• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Being a crappy dragoon is a prerequisite for winning all the loot rolls.
Heavy Thrust uptime lowers loot potency.

I should stop trying.

Rektash

When Archer becomes Bard does it basically change from a DPS class to a Support class?

Nah. Bard is a DPS class with support abilities basically. Still plays like a DPS. There are no pure support classes in the game and at this
point I'd be suprised if they introduced a new archetype. They'd have to rework half of the game if they wanted to introduce that.

Pretty sure we are stuck with Tank/DPS/Healer archetypes.

Pancho

Qurupancho
People thought Monk and Summoner were underpowered for the first couple months after release. Boy were they wrong.
Ill defintely keep leveling it, then. I really liked how it played but was afraid of getting it to 60, gearing it, and then finding out people don't want MCHs on their groups.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
According to lodestone, they remived field instancing in today's maintenance.

No more confusion during hunts!

Rektash

Ill defintely keep leveling it, then. I really liked how it played but was afraid of getting it to 60, gearing it, and then finding out people don't want MCHs on their groups.

Oh, I am not exactly saying MCHs are in fact great. All I am saying is, no one knows yet and people are just parroting the currently popular opinion. Only time will tell.

Jeels

Speaking of machinist, I've gotten really good at using hot shot, lead shot, my reloads, and then the three attacks, alongside my turrets, as well as stunning aoes. What I don't understand is when and how to use gauss barrel and a few other abilities like wildfire. Any tips?

Speaking of machinist, I've gotten really good at using hot shot, lead shot, my reloads, and then the three attacks, alongside my turrets, as well as stunning aoes. What I don't understand is when and how to use gauss barrel and a few other abilities like wildfire. Any tips?

I actually also have a question about Wildfire. I always use it for super fun burst at the beginning, but after that, should I be using it on cooldown or should I wait until it lines up with reloads, Blood for Blood etc.?

ShinZed

I've just got back into FFXIV again, and currently rocking away on my 40 PLD trying to finish the 2.0 story. Is there any reason to buy Heavensward before I hit 50 and finish the original story?

I hear pretty much everything is locked out until you hit 50 and finish the story quests, or is that not true?

I've just got back into FFXIV again, and currently rocking away on my 40 PLD trying to finish the 2.0 story. Is there any reason to buy Heavensward before I hit 50 and finish the original story?

I hear pretty much everything is locked out until you hit 50 and finish the story quests, or is that not true?

True. Only thing you'd get access to is Au Ra master race.

Sorian

Banned

Buy it right before you hit 50. Even without finishing the storyline, if you own the expac, you'll be able to gain experience past level 50.

But it as soon as you hit level 50 so that you continue to gain XP.

I started the Heavensward 3.0 content at around level 52 and the hated grind between 56 and 57 has been a breeze for me so far and I haven't hit a wall in story progression.

Feels good.

Pretty close to the amount that was in ARR at launch.

Not sure how much that is (still working on ARR) but I'm assuming that's good!

Also, really really dumb question, but can we have more than one job? I know we can change class on the fly, does the same apply to jobs? So right now I'm DRG, but could I eventually become a summoner/ninja etc if I were to level different classes? Or do I need an alt?

Arkeband

Banned
Pretty close to the amount that was in ARR at launch.

I dunno about this statement.

It's definitely more engaging than ARR's, though. And the dungeons are actually involved with the story instead of being like "go fight those fish people lol"

Also, really really dumb question, but can we have more than one job? I know we can change class on the fly, does the same apply to jobs? So right now I'm DRG, but could I eventually become a summoner/ninja etc if I were to level different classes? Or do I need an alt?

You never need an alt, you can do everything on one character. Job crystals have their own equipment slot, you can hold all of them and three for specialized crafting, which is also not set in stone. (and you wont be worrying about that for a while)

Neku054

Neo Member
Man, people really seem to have a hard time grasping Floor 4 of Alex.... At least on Gilgamesh. dF was a straight up failure that most of the time couldn't get past phase 2. PF groups make it to 50% on phase 3 then start dying everywhere. its not even hard, like at all but baddies be strong

Sorian

Banned
I dunno about this statement.

It's definitely more engaging than ARR's, though. And the dungeons are actually involved with the story instead of being like "go fight those fish people lol"

Eh, that's what they tried to pitch it as and it certainly took me about the same amount of hours.

AgeEighty

Man, people really seem to have a hard time grasping Floor 4 of Alex.... At least on Gilgamesh. dF was a straight up failure that most of the time couldn't get past phase 2. PF groups make it to 50% on phase 3 then start dying everywhere. its not even hard, like at all but baddies be strong

Yeah, my friends and I finally cleared it last night, and it really was just about getting a good PUG group. So many people are terribad with the mechanics in there, mostly with the adds and lasers, and the mentality of spreading out damage.

I had a lot of trouble DFing it too. Yesterday I was in a group that kept failing and we were like, "one more run", and we just barely managed to eke out a win (which felt totally awesome). I'm definitely not looking forward to getting my drop there though.

Teletraan1

Banned
Halfway to 60 now. I really love these new zones. I would say the only thing they really screwed up was putting those aether currents behind quests. I had so much fun navigating the zones, reading a topographical map to try and figure out the correct path to find them. Each of the zones has almost been a puzzle so far. It has been so long since I had a game where you actually needed some map skills. Most games are just follow the arrow. I think the people who had problems were just people who cannot read a topographic map. The contour lines on the map tell you exactly where you can and cannot pass. Putting a few of them behind quests really did that a disservice. I dont understand why they wanted to completely gate you from flying until you completed arbitrary quests, often in the last series of quests in a zone, especially when it was fun (for me) to explore and find them in the wilds.

Sorian

Banned
Halfway to 60 now. I really love these new zones. I would say the only thing they really screwed up was putting those aether currents behind quests. I had so much fun navigating the zones, reading a topographical map to try and figure out the correct path to find them. Each of the zones has almost been a puzzle so far. It has been so long since I had a game where you actually needed some map skills. Most games are just follow the arrow. I think the people who had problems were just people who cannot read a topographic map. The contour lines on the map tell you exactly where you can and cannot pass. Putting a few of them behind quests really did that a disservice. I dont understand why they wanted to completely gate you from flying until you completed arbitrary quests, often in the last series of quests in a zone, especially when it was fun (for me) to explore and find them in the wilds.

The story lent itself to traveling across wide open spaces with your companions so it made sense that flying was gated until after you finished a MSQ near the end of that zone. I do agree that they should not have been locked behind any side quests though.

AgeEighty

I too have been really enjoying Machinist thus far, but in one more level I get Gauss Barrel and that's when I'll really get a sense for how the job is going to play in endgame.

Do not believe his lies. I spent two days as an Au Ra, it was awful. I returned to the true master race: Lallafels.
Anyone who says otherwise is jelaous/afraid.

The only advantage small characters in mmos have ever had is in pvp. Otherwise, your perspective is terrible, your armor looks terrible, the scale of your mounts is terrible, and in general the designs are terrible. So. Yeah. #rekt

iammeiam

It seems like there are a ton of people running around as sub-40 Machinists lately; I guess the recent Reddit parses are bumping it to bandwagon of choice? which is good for stamping out some of the idiotic stigma, but also probably means a flood of pretty bad Machinists coming up through the ranks which will just lead to another stigma resurgence.

The biggest problem with the new jobs is they're appealing for people who want to try a new job type but all of them rely pretty heavily on preexisting cross-class skills. So you get a bunch of DRKs without Provoke, ASTs without Swiftcast, and MCH without Invig or like... Any of their damage buffs.

AgeEighty

Question with regard to high level MCH: Are there any important level 51-60 cross class abilities I'll need from either BRD or DRG? Could I use Sidewinder, for example?

Finally we in Balmung are free from field instances! Made hunting a fucking hassle when people would spot a monster only for everyone to later discover that it was in 13,20 on instance 3 and you were at 13,20 on instance instance 1.

In other news I'm leveling Summoner as my dps class of choice and just WOW, I'm adapting to the class a lot easier than I was expecting. Feel like I still need to get better at pet management though since my time as a Scholar has led to a few bad habits.

iammeiam

Question with regard to high level MCH: Are there any important level 51-60 cross class abilities I'll need from either BRD or DRG?

It's impossible to cross-class any of the level 50 and above stuff; those are all job skills, not class skills. BRD through Quelling and DRG through Invig B4B is all you need.

Sorian

Banned
Ugh, I almost feel sick asking this. If I wanted to level DRK, what cross class skills are needed? I know provoke is the obvious one, what defensive cds do I need to pull from the other ones?

Top Bottom