• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Squishy3

You my friend are in dire need of a static. I got the Helmet Ring and Belt done today and also got the first piece I need for my chest. Put a group together and just do each floor until everyone gets what they want.
Even a farm PF group that goes for like 5 or 6 runs would still be better than what he's doing right now, provided the group doesn't change drastically every run due to people looting and dipping

Tabris

You my friend are in dire need of a static. I got the Helmet Ring and Belt done today and also got the first piece I need for my chest. Put a group together and just do each floor until everyone gets what they want.

Only issue we're finding is a lot of us are going for the same gear, so that 8th piece takes FOREVER. 5hrs of farming Alex turns and we've still got 6 pieces left to go (1 in Turn 3 and 5 in Turn 4).

Item Box

That sounds like a good idea. There are a few times when I've pressed my Hallowed Ground macro one too many times.

I just made one for Divine Veil just now, which I think is necessary for that skill since it require that another party member act on it to have any effect and I don't think many people even know what the skill does or what the animation looks like.
Not many people realize paladins can throw out some decent heals too either, feels bad.

I hope they add better visual feedback when divine veil gets applied, like they did with cover. And like you said no one even knows what that ability is/does. Sucks having to make a macro explaining it though, but whatever.

Has anyone ran into people with obnoxious macros?

I think the only one I've seen is from a Ninja on Sycrus Tower.

He had a macro for his Trick attack (in Alliance chat) that he spammed repeatedly, and it was about a paragraph long for one button press along with sound effects.

I honestly thought that one was pretty hilarious just because it was the first time I had encountered something like that.

I was in a duty recenrtly, I think it was one of the first three floors of Alexander, with a Monk who macroed opening Chakra with opening the Eight Gates in Naruto.

...He had one for each time he opened a chakra, so there were five lines of spam every time he used it.

Every healer I do duties with has some sort of "I'm reviving you" macro complete with a line or two of flavor text and a sound effect.

Omni

Did my first dungeon thing. They kinda just sped through it so I'm sure I missed stuff.

How does loot work exactly? There were chests lying around but "need", "greed" and "pass" confused me. And what's with the final chest? Haha.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Even a farm PF group that goes for like 5 or 6 runs would still be better than what he's doing right now, provided the group doesn't change drastically every run due to people looting and dipping

Yea I was having that problem before I got my static people were getting what they wanted an leaving right away.

Only issue we're finding is a lot of us are going for the same gear, so that 8th piece takes FOREVER. 5hrs of farming Alex turns and we've still got 6 pieces left to go (1 in Turn 3 and 5 in Turn 4).
Yea turn 4 everyone wanted shaft but we got lucky with drops.

suzu

Did my first dungeon thing. They kinda just sped through it so I'm sure I missed stuff.

How does loot work exactly? There were chests lying around but "need", "greed" and "pass" confused me. And what's with the final chest? Haha.

Need (priority roll)
Greed (secondary roll)

Click Need on any gear that is an upgrade to your current class (or if you want it for vanity). A Need roll will always beat Greed. Click Greed on anything that you want for alt classes. Click Pass if you don't want it.

Soma

holy crap sea of clouds was a pain in the ass to find all the aether currents

anyways finished main story quest

10/10 "final" boss fight. really hope to see an extreme version of it.

guess it's time to delve into extreme primals and hunts now...

WolvenOne

Well, Alex normal mode is a nice little addition to the game I think. Does a good job of working as a stand in for the three original HM Primals. Heck, more gear in them too, so they're more worth farming than those original Primals.

MogCakes

I like the alex storyline so far. Fluffy but has some intrigue to it. The characters are interesting and goblins are always funny.

TUSR

Banned
so ive been playing a lot lately, and got:

-30 THM
-15 ARC
-BLM

And realized im not a huge fan of spell casting. Is there more than 3 starting areas to level up in? Or do I have to do some grinding?

Ken

so ive been playing a lot lately, and got:

-30 THM
-15 ARC
-BLM

And realized im not a huge fan of spell casting. Is there more than 3 starting areas to level up in? Or do I have to do some grinding?

Just the three but you should have leve allowances you can do now to level.

Finally joined my first ever MMO static (for Alexander). And omg... it's like I've been missing a huge part of the game this whole time. I've done some of coil, ex primals, etc. with duty finder, but actually being in a static, finding out how your other teammates play, finding your own unique role with the group, it's really amazing. If anyone else is holding off joining a static, I highly recommend taking the time to find a FC that has multiple static groups and join one.

dcye

I have run Alex over 20 times and have only gotten a SINGLE FUCKING DROP. last run on floor 1 I rolled a 91 and a 95, lost to 99s, then the run before that both items were fucking lenses which I was the one item I had already gotten! ARUGH

That's when I realized I need to stop for the night and just take my fucking L.

Why didn't you roll for the second lens? You need two lenses to actually get a headpiece, you could've gotten an i190 head piece.

NeoGaf, nowhere else will you find a more wretched hive of memes and negativity.

I don't think that what happened in this thread was negativity. All the people who were voicing there dissatisfaction are passionate about the game and play a lot of it, which means they obviously love it. Just because people want different things doesn't mean they're being negative about the game, the game is great and we all know it, we just want it to be better.

chrono01

Finally joined my first ever MMO static (for Alexander). And omg... it's like I've been missing a huge part of the game this whole time. I've done some of coil, ex primals, etc. with duty finder, but actually being in a static, finding out how your other teammates play, finding your own unique role with the group, it's really amazing. If anyone else is holding off joining a static, I highly recommend taking the time to find a FC that has multiple static groups and join one.
If it weren't for my static I'm not sure I'd still be playing this game. The interaction with those you've raided with for months [in my case, more than a year] are just as enjoyable to me than the actual raiding experience. We've cycled in a few members here-and-there over the course of time, but 75% of the group is the same as the day I joined. It's really great to see.

I'm glad to hear that you've found a static of your own. Best of luck to you all in your 'ventures into Alexander.

Tabris

That's what an MMO experience is supposed to be like.

Otherwise you may as well load up a chat room on one half of the screen and a single player RPG on the other half.

Not many people realize paladins can throw out some decent heals too either, feels bad.

I hope they add better visual feedback when divine veil gets applied, like they did with cover. And like you said no one even knows what that ability is/does. Sucks having to make a macro explaining it though, but whatever.

Yeah, Clemency is useful if your healer loses a large chunk of health really quickly. I don't use it on DPS though normally since the healer should be taking care of that if they're not in danger.

Ken

Eh, MMOs can be enjoyable without a static.

I'd go as far as to say the social space in MMOs wouldn't be as interesting if every player was in a static.

Omni

Need (priority roll)
Greed (secondary roll)

Click Need on any gear that is an upgrade to your current class (or if you want it for vanity). A Need roll will always beat Greed. Click Greed on anything that you want for alt classes. Click Pass if you don't want it.

Alright, thank you! I was really confused because sometimes options would be greyed out. Is there any reason why you would pass things? Also probably a silly question... but what do you mean by priority/secondary roll. So gear isn't a guarantee?

scy

You're competing for the drops with the rest of the group. [Need] is available if you are a class that can equip / use the item; [Greed] is available otherwise. Need rolls will always beat out a greed roll.

Alright, thank you! I was really confused because sometimes options would be greyed out. Is there any reason why you would pass things? Also probably a silly question... but what do you mean by priority/secondary roll. So gear isn't a guarantee?
You can only need things that are for your job. You'd pass on something you don't think will be useful to you now or in the future. I pretty much need or pass, rarely do I greed.

Pass if you really don't need something i.e. gear that's worse than what you have. You can only need on gear specifically designated for your job or role, for example a monk can't need on healer armor or a dragoon's lance. You can greed on everything.

If you're the only one of your job in a party and gear specifically for that job drops, it's yours unless you pass or greed on it.

If it weren't for my static I'm not sure I'd still be playing this game. The interaction with those you've raided with for months [in my case, more than a year] are just as enjoyable to me than the actual raiding experience. We've cycled in a few members here-and-there over the course of time, but 75% of the group is the same as the day I joined. It's really great to see.

I'm glad to hear that you've found a static of your own. Best of luck to you all in your 'ventures into Alexander.

Thanks! It's a great feeling when you've been struggling together and finally complete something. It only took us a few tries to beat A4 but the feeling of accomplishment was 10x that of joining a random group and doing it. And we went back so that our tank could roll for a drop and beat it again right away, since we all know what we're doing now. Can't wait for Ex Alexander and I think this group will go back to help me finally beat T9 as well, once we have our i190 stuff. Woo. :)

Welcome to endgame progression raiding. Remember to be nice to everybody when Savage comes along and that one guy messes that one thing up again for the 15th time.
Eventually if you're with a raid group long enough, there will be a time when that one guy is you.
Don't take things too seriously, have fun, and be cool.

In fact just read this:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14MTuRfYU09XXcdpXmpXbxuWU19SZHIKfNaHVJUz1Qnw/preview?sle=true

WolvenOne

I don't think that what happened in this thread was negativity. All the people who were voicing there dissatisfaction are passionate about the game and play a lot of it, which means they obviously love it. Just because people want different things doesn't mean they're being negative about the game, the game is great and we all know it, we just want it to be better.

That statement was meant to be half cutesy, but that was a really looong argument. It couldn't really go anywhere either, since at least some people were arguing MMO design preferences. And yes I know, I've been accused of being argumentative myself. There's some truth to that, it's not something I'm proud of. Thing is I don't actually like arguments especially all consuming ones. At the end of the day I just want to see everyone get along and be happy. So derailing an argument with nonsense seems worthwhile to me at least.

Granted I have a rather odd way of looking at things, so maybe it doesn't seem that way to you.

Ken

FINAL FANTASY XIV Hotfixes (Jul. 9)
The following issues have been addressed:
  • An issue during the Zodiac Weapon Zeta cutscene wherein the client would crash under certain conditions.
  • An issue with the Duty Finder wherein the features of the "Undersized Party" setting might not work during the duty if the party that selected it met minimum party size requirements.
  • An issue wherein certain text was incorrect

And thus begins the search for the one person doing Zeta in HW.

I began to hunt yesterday to upgrade my stuff and it's faster than I expected. Already 2 180 armor.
I like to hunt in the morning when there are few people. In the evening it's nearly impossible to get those hunt, they should give them way more HP so we can get here before it's killed.

Zomba13

An issue with the Duty Finder wherein the features of the "Undersized Party" setting might not work during the duty if the party that selected it met minimum party size requirements.

That means we can now to full 8 "undersized" right?

I began to hunt yesterday to upgrade my stuff and it's faster than I expected. Already 2 180 armor.
I like to hunt in the morning when there are few people. In the evening it's nearly impossible to get those hunt, they should give them way more HP so we can get here before it's killed.

Yeah, A mobs are pretty weak considering how much damage lv 60/IL 170 and up can do.

I just started a new trial for the game, I am assuming that means I have the original Realm Reborn game right now?

Should I buy Heavensward before beginning my play and if I buy expansion does that come with the full game?

Also, best wiki site to look up info?

i played through all of alex in a day. most people had done the fights, so we had 2-3 other noobs max. feels like normal tower difficulty. low dps will cause some headaches, as always, since people can't go undercover like in towers. we had one afking ninja called out and kicked pretty swiftly. last floor also gave me a taste of drama. catgirl pala gave up after 2 wipes and tried to get kicked. lala monkgirl was pissed and started raging hard. group dismissed after a few more half assed tries. other than that, i think it was pretty smooth for a first time clear.

and now to farm all this. not sure how long i'll last.

Zomba13

I just started a new trial for the game, I am assuming that means I have the original Realm Reborn game right now?

Should I buy Heavensward before beginning my play and if I buy expansion does that come with the full game?

Also, best wiki site to look up info?

Heavensward content can only be accessed once you've completed the A Realm Reborn story. Only reason to buy the expansion is if you want to play as an Au Ra from the start.

The expansion doesn't come with the full game but you can buy a bundle I believe that has the base game and the expansion.

I like using this wiki http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/FF14_Wiki Dunno if its the best but it has the stuff I want when I look up things on it.

All of this talk about statics reminds me that I need to look into joining/making one. I'd really like to give Alex Savage a go and having one in place would probably help out.

Zomba13

A question:

What is the difference between a static and a free company (guild)? :)

does the neogaf guild have a static?

FC is just a guild, a group of people a static is a non-changing party for doing stuff. It's not like, an officially supported thing, it's just a group of people deciding to tackle content together and they usually set times and days when they run the content. People do it because of lock outs or because they get used to playing together and use things like mumble or skype to communicate where they can be more efficient. It's basically hardcore players playing together to clear end game stuff. Like you can be in GAF and be in a static with other GAF members but a static could be made up of anyone.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
A question:

What is the difference between a static and a free company (guild)? :)

does the neogaf guild have a static?

A static is a group of eight or so members who do eight man content together. There's a bunch of statics in the neogaf guild at the moment; I don't know if they're looking for members, but with the influx of new people from HW there are probably people looking to form new ones.

chiliboy

FC is just a guild, a group of people a static is a non-changing party for doing stuff. It's not like, an officially supported thing, it's just a group of people deciding to tackle content together and they usually set times and days when they run the content. People do it because of lock outs or because they get used to playing together and use things like mumble or skype to communicate where they can be more efficient. It's basically hardcore players playing together to clear end game stuff. Like you can be in GAF and be in a static with other GAF members but a static could be made up of anyone.

A static is a group of eight or so members who do eight man content together. There's a bunch of statics in the neogaf guild at the moment; I don't know if they're looking for members, but with the influx of new people from HW there are probably people looking to form new ones.

Lovely, thank you both :)

What are people using the new HQ foods for that they are consistently paying 50-100k a piece for them? Some of these aren't even apart of the cul job quest? Not complaining just confused

Top Bottom