• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

IvorB

It seems like there are a ton of people running around as sub-40 Machinists lately; I guess the recent Reddit parses are bumping it to bandwagon of choice? which is good for stamping out some of the idiotic stigma, but also probably means a flood of pretty bad Machinists coming up through the ranks which will just lead to another stigma resurgence.

Oh man, RIP DPS queues. The one good thing about all the machinist hate was pretty good queues for other DPS due to all the influx of dark knights and astros but no machinists.

AgeEighty

It's impossible to cross-class any of the level 50 and above stuff; those are all job skills, not class skills. BRD through Quelling and DRG through Invig is all you need.

Thanks. Happily, I've got both.

Another question: Is there any point at all to Turret Retrieval, since you can just re-deploy turrets after a few seconds anyway and they auto-retrieve if you move far enough away from them?

IvorB

Ugh, I almost feel sick asking this. If I wanted to level DRK, what cross class skills are needed? I know provoke is the obvious one, what defensive cds do I need to pull from the other ones?

7fac2c1d-d8a8-4057-876d-43e833f37c7a.gif

It seems like there are a ton of people running around as sub-40 Machinists lately; I guess the recent Reddit parses are bumping it to bandwagon of choice? which is good for stamping out some of the idiotic stigma, but also probably means a flood of pretty bad Machinists coming up through the ranks which will just lead to another stigma resurgence.

The biggest problem with the new jobs is they're appealing for people who want to try a new job type but all of them rely pretty heavily on preexisting cross-class skills. So you get a bunch of DRKs without Provoke, ASTs without Swiftcast, and MCH without Invig or like... Any of their damage buffs.

which is why I'm currently levelling Bard \o/

why does Venomous Bite have such a shitty duration before you get the trait

so annoying to have to constantly reapply it zzzz

So I want to play as a Rogue but its not a starter class. My understanding is to change class to Rogue at level 10 I have to visit some Limsa city?

How hard is it to get there if I start out in any of the other cities (as an Archer let's say)?

S-So, uh... how hard is it to play Summoner with controller? Pet actions and all. I've yet to play a pet class, and Summoner AOE is looking pretty damn good for dungeons.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You have to follow the story until they let ou travel to the other cities. Doesn't take long to get there.

scy

Ugh, I almost feel sick asking this. If I wanted to level DRK, what cross class skills are needed? I know provoke is the obvious one, what defensive cds do I need to pull from the other ones?

Provoke, Convalescence, Foresight, Bloodbath, and Mercy Stroke are my five. Basically, if you have PLD and WAR unlocked you have all the cross-class stuff. Awareness (34 PLD) is a situational one you may want, though, in case you ever plan to do like ... real things with DRK down the road.

Sorian

Banned
So I want to play as a Rogue but its not a starter class. My understanding is to change class to Rogue at level 10 I have to visit some Limsa city?

How hard is it to get there if I start out in any of the other cities (as an Archer let's say)?

At level 15, the story will air ship you over to all 3 of the main cities. Then you can attune to the big crystal in each and teleport whenever you'd like. If you really want to stream line it, select marauder, arcanist, or uh, there's another one I think, and you can start in Limsa and be there at level 10 to just switch over.

Provoke, Convalescence, Foresight, Bloodbath, and Mercy Stroke are my five. Basically, if you have PLD and WAR unlocked you have all the cross-class stuff. Awareness (34 PLD) is a situational one you may want, though, in case you ever plan to do like ... real things with DRK down the road.

Literally the only reason I'm doing it is "lol giant swords" and the panther mount. So, I'll probably have to pretend I know what I'm doing, maybe.

Pancho

Qurupancho
S-So, uh... how hard is it to play Summoner with controller? Pet actions and all. I've yet to play a pet class, and Summoner AOE is looking pretty damn good for dungeons.

Tricky at first, but if you are gonna use the pet manually, treat its abilities like any other spell. I have pet actions (such as contagion) on my extended cross bar.

ShinZed

btw, what happened to EU servers? any news?

EU servers? You mean they are planning on moving the 'EU' servers over here from Canada or wherever the heck they currently are? Yippee if so. Will make dodging area effects easier. Hate seeing my char run out of an AE with time to spare but still get hit by it anyway.

Convalescence is good to pop below 50% HP.

Awareness I pop as soon as its available.

Those are really the two I use other than provoke. None of the marauder ones are super useful. Mercy stroke I guess for dmg + hp restore if you kill. Foresight I guess for a defense boost. Bloodbath I guess for small hp returns.

iammeiam

Another question: Is there any point at all to Turret Retrieval, since you can just re-deploy turrets after a few seconds anyway and they auto-retrieve if you move far enough away from them?

Literally the only situation I can think of is if you have a turret out, aren't in combat, and something is doing an AOE that could hit the turret and force it (and therefor you) into combat. You could still resummon it in a safe spot, though. I took retrieval off my bar a while back.

why does Venomous Bite have such a shitty duration before you get the trait

Because at that level you have like nothing else to do, basically, since no good buttons. Multidotting with untrained Venom is pretty active at least.

Teletraan1

Banned
The story lent itself to traveling across wide open spaces with your companions so it made sense that flying was gated until after you finished a MSQ near the end of that zone. I do agree that they should not have been locked behind any side quests though.

So far it has been a bit of a letdown, in an otherwise enjoyable experience. Hey you can fly now because you did 5 layers of terrible side quests that would have been palpable if you could have flown since they only involve running from one end of the map to the other to pick up objects. I enjoyed navigating the zone but everything has its limits. Now go to the next zone where you can't fly and do it all again. At the very least those quest currents should have been MSQ only.

Sorian

Banned
So far it has been a bit of a letdown, in an otherwise enjoyable experience. Hey you can fly now because you did 5 layers of terrible side quests that would have been palpable if you could have flown since they only involve running from one end of the map to the other to pick up objects. I enjoyed navigating the zone but everything has its limits. Now go to the next zone where you can't fly and do it all again. At the very least those quest currents should have been MSQ only.

You'll be happy to know the very last zone currents are MSQ only! :p

Using a guide to know which side quests give currents is probably the best bet and just ignore all other ones until you unlock flying. They actually all unlock 1 or 2 quests deep into a quest chain, it just feels like there is more gating them because people tend to pick up everything on the way.

maybe i should stop upgrading my armor with hunt seals and go straight for those minions and stuff.

EU servers? You mean they are planning on moving the 'EU' servers over here from Canada or wherever the heck they currently are? Yippee if so. Will make dodging area effects easier. Hate seeing my char run out of an AE with time to spare but still get hit by it anyway.

yea, they were planning to do that 6 months ago or so. actually, summer was their original target. the announcement was way back.

Sorian

Banned
maybe i should stop upgrading my armor with hunt seals and go straight for those minions and stuff.

If you already have your hive weapon or feel comfortable that you can contribute to a ravana kill efficiently then yes, you can fill out the unupgraded pieces with alex stuff easily enough. I just recommend the ravana weapon since that'll be the best for awhile it seems like.

Teletraan1

Banned
The only advantage small characters in mmos have ever had is in pvp. Otherwise, your perspective is terrible, your armor looks terrible, the scale of your mounts is terrible, and in general the designs are terrible. So. Yeah. #rekt

That is not completely true. I played as a tauren druid in wow for years. When they took away tree form around the time Firelands was out I found I was dying to stupid shit that I could not even see because my hefty character was literally blocking my view of seeing what was under my feet. In WoW it wasn't a huge circle on the ground. Often just a small object. When zoomed out you couldn't even see it. When I got tree form back I was so happy as the character model was not so large. I always gravitated towards smaller characters since in MMOs because you never know how the winds of change will blow. Something as simple as a druid form change altered my game experience for the worse.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

yea, they were planning to do that 6 months ago or so. actually, summer was the their original target. the announcement was way back.

Depends on what class you're playing I suppose. Some of the bard Law gear for example is really good.

Sorian

Banned
That is not completely true. I played as a tauren druid in wow for years. When they took away tree form around the time Firelands was out I found I was dying to stupid shit that I could not even see because my hefty character was literally blocking my view of seeing what was under my feet. In WoW it wasn't a huge circle on the ground. Often just a small object. When zoomed out you couldn't even see it. When I got tree form back I was so happy as the character model was not so large. I always gravitated towards smaller characters since in MMOs because you never know how the winds of change will blow. Something as simple as a druid form change altered my game experience for the worse.

We had someone switch away from lalafell because the divebomb markers appear over your characters head and since we all used taller character models, their marker was hidden inside of our models if we were all grouped up (which the mechanic called for). I've found that there is usually no winning with too tall or too short in MMOs.

Arkeband

Banned

In Tera, some of the smaller races actually had smaller hitboxes because the developers are morons, so smaller races were (or still are) better for PVP.

iammeiam

Given the number of times I've heard "I couldn't see you!", I'm pretty convinced playing a taller character just makes you less observant.

Lalablindness is a serious medical condition, and Fantasia'ing to Lalafell may be the only cure. Ask your doctor if Lalafell is right for you.

If you already have your hive weapon or feel comfortable that you can contribute to a ravana kill efficiently then yes, you can fill out the unupgraded pieces with alex stuff easily enough. I just recommend the ravana weapon since that'll be the best for awhile it seems like.

Depends on what class you're playing I suppose. Some of the bard Law gear for example is really good.

i'm using the i180 axe. i think 3 pieces on left are at i170. i just need a little luck with alex.

Leunam

Given the number of times I've heard "I couldn't see you!", I'm pretty convinced playing a taller character just makes you less observant.

Lalablindness is a serious medical condition, and Fantasia'ing to Lalafell may be the only cure. Ask your doctor if Lalafell is right for you.

When do we get to the laundry list of life threatening side effects?

Reknoc

the world would probably be a better place if I couldn't see Lalafells.

Baleoce

I plan on leveling it eventually, but I'm not that up on its abilities atm. How does MCH compare to BRD in AoE situations? I feel between the WM 30% damage, the changes to RoD, and the inclusion of Iron Jaws, BRD has come out of 3.01 quite nicely on the DoT weaving on small packs and AoE for big packs. Then of course there's requiem if you have an appropriate DPS and/or healer pairing. The one thing i miss is being able to react to bloodletter/RoD as soon as it procs, which is not always possible with WM. Interested to know how MCH think they fair on this front.

Teletraan1

Banned
You'll be happy to know the very last zone currents are MSQ only! :p

Using a guide to know which side quests give currents is probably the best bet and just ignore all other ones until you unlock flying. They actually all unlock 1 or 2 quests deep into a quest chain, it just feels like there is more gating them because people tend to pick up everything on the way.

That is good to hear. I have been avoiding a guide since I really shouldn't have to use one but they aren't going to change this in the next few days or ever so I might as well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I plan on leveling it eventually, but I'm not that up on its abilities atm. How does MCH compare to BRD in AoE situations? I feel between the WM 30% damage, the changes to RoD, and the inclusion of Iron Jaws, BRD has come out of 3.01 quite nicely on the DoT weaving on small packs and AoE for big packs. Then of course there's requiem if you have an appropriate DPS and/or healer pairing. The one thing i miss is being able to react to bloodletter/RoD as soon as it procs, which is not always possible with WM. Interested to know how MCH think they fair on this front.

We have an AOE robot. And grenades.

iammeiam

I plan on leveling it eventually, but I'm not that up on its abilities atm. How does MCH compare to BRD in AoE situations? I feel between the WM 30% damage, the changes to RoD, and Iron Jaws, BRD has come out of 3.01 quite nicely on the DoT weaving on small packs and AoE for big packs. Then of course there's requiem if you have an appropriate DPS and/or healer pairing. The one thing i miss is being able to react to bloodletter/RoD as soon as it procs, which is not always possible with WM. Interested to know how MCH think they fair on this front.

MCH gets an AOE turret that pumps out 60 potency AOE auto attacks on mobs in the (fairly decent) range on a constant basis with no interaction. MCH has two AOE skills--Spread Shot and Grenado Shot that hit respectably hard (if killing the pack will take less than 30 seconds, use Grenado. If over 30, use Spread Shot.) AOE is a bitch on TP, but you can give up AOE turret for TP regen turret; you lose the turret's DPS but your actual personal attacks don't take a damage penalty for regen mode so you can continue to pop buffs while soaking up turret regen.

The actual feel is kind of hard to be sure on since everything has so much HP, but I don't feel like it's any worse than Bard. I miss the RoD free procs, but turret buddy more or less makes up for it.

Teletraan1

Banned
We had someone switch away from lalafell because the divebomb markers appear over your characters head and since we all used taller character models, their marker was hidden inside of our models if we were all grouped up (which the mechanic called for). I've found that there is usually no winning with too tall or too short in MMOs.

That is hilarious. It probably is a good bet to just pick the goldilocks races. Not too big that you can't even see your enviro, not too small that you get hidden by the other races. Just right.

Uthred

That is good to hear. I have been avoiding a guide since I really shouldn't have to use one but they aren't going to change this in the next few days or ever so I might as well.

You should be fine without a guide, the vast majority of aether current sidequests have no pre-requisites (Only five out of thirty have sidequest pre-reqs), so just run around looking for sidequests until you see the ones with the appropriate icon

aceface

You should be fine without a guide, the vast majority of aether current sidequests have no pre-requisites (Only five out of thirty have sidequest pre-reqs), so just run around looking for sidequests until you see the ones with the appropriate icon

Yeah but those 5 are a pain in the ass if you don't have a guide. There's that one (spoliers I guess for people who really want to find them all on their own)
in Sea of Clouds I think? that's locked behind a random quest in Ishgard. I imagine myself going crazy trying to do all the Sea of Clouds quests and still not unlocking the Aether Current quest and wanting to kill myself.

Flambe

Alright ya buggers, time to resub. Played when ARR came out but was on my laptop so that didn't last long. Any tips on what to play?

I've played mmo's since the beginning and am pretty darn good at whatever role, however due to a 3-year old might not be able to commit to dungeons and whatnot so if that's required for levelling a healer/tank then that won't work out too well. Hate pigeonholing myself into a dps role but that can be fun too =p

Uthred

Yeah but those 5 are a pain in the ass if you don't have a guide. There's that one (spoliers I guess for people who really want to find them all on their own)
in Sea of Clouds I think? that's locked behind a random quest in Ishgard. I imagine myself going crazy trying to do all the Sea of Clouds quests and still not unlocking the Aether Current quest and wanting to kill myself.

Yeah I was wondering if I should point that one out, then again I found it without a guide simply because I got used to re-checking sidequests every three levels or so and you'll be back there at 53 and 56 for unlocks.

Eldren

With the damage buff to Gauss Barrel I've made a point of keeping it on at all times to try to get accustomed to using it (I used to think it was ugly so I avoided it...) and it definitely feels like a nice improvement. I'm still trying to get used to the procs sometimes coming quite late and I still occasionally forget to use Gauss Round which is a terrible habit, but I'm enjoying it. Plus I finally got the Orthodox Tunic of Aiming last night after a 2 day break so that was nice.

I ran The Vault for the first time afterwards, that was a fun dungeon. I logged out before watching the follow-up cutscene though so I need to mentally prepare myself for that before I get back to it.

Ayumi

Alright ya buggers, time to resub. Played when ARR came out but was on my laptop so that didn't last long. Any tips on what to play?

I've played mmo's since the beginning and am pretty darn good at whatever role, however due to a 3-year old might not be able to commit to dungeons and whatnot so if that's required for levelling a healer/tank then that won't work out too well. Hate pigeonholing myself into a dps role but that can be fun too =p

When I first started, I was told to just choose whatever class I felt comfortable with, since you can change them anytime (by equipping a different weapon). I based my starting class on what I preferred to play in Diablo 3, even though it's a different game.

While leveling up, you're forced to do instances if you follow the main scenario quests (recommended for highest XP) but they aren't THAT common. You can't do them alone though, but they don't really take much time.
Here's a list over how frequent they are:
http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dungeons

I'm only level 30ish for now (I have a real life
don't tell anyone!
, so not much time to play) and I think the instances when leveling so far are rather fast. I guess the "real dungeons" start when you're level 50.

jorgeton

Oh is that where that is? I've been going nuts trying to find that last aether quest. Grr.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
We have an AOE robot. And grenades.
Does having to replace the robots on dungeons pulls bug you at all? Not sure if that's a common complaint or not.

I know it's not a true pet like SMN/SCH pets but the ability to place and move later would be nice instead of having to replace every time.

iammeiam

Turret summoning costs nothing, is oGCD, and is on a 5 second CD. Dropping a turret is basically part of the opener, and replacing/swapping during combat is incredibly easy (when, say, the tank thinks the turret is a "cleaves should go here" signpost.) There's no big difference between resumonning a turret and moving a pet, although I think resumonning may actually be faster in some cases than waiting for a pet to move. It's basically as much work as Flaming Arrow but way cooler, more useful, less likely to be wasted if the tank moves, and without the CD.

Jayhawk

Ask your doctor if Lalafell is right for you.

Since the doctor in our static just changed from a Lalafell, is Lalafell right for anyone? People repeatedly mention that Lalafells look awful in Thavnairian Bustiers, so that is also a deal breaker. I managed to successfully sell a Jet Black HQ Bustier yesterday while at work. Anybody interested in a Pure White NQ Bolero? Discounted price on the market board!

Mithril needs to get Machinist to 60 sooner, so his BRD and Foe Requiem can be replaced by a Rook Autoturret! Those Alexander numbers can go higher!

dramatis

Since the doctor in our static just changed from a Lalafell, is Lalafell right for anyone? People repeatedly mention that Lalafells look awful in Thavnairian Bustiers, so that is also a deal breaker. I managed to successfully sell a Jet Black HQ Bustier yesterday while at work. Anybody interested in a Pure White NQ Bolero? Discounted price on the market board!
You have to make a movie poster, not just peddle your wares.

Limsa is on an island, and as such unreachable until you unlock airships at 15. Now 15 doesn't take too long, but is kinda annoying. The best way to do it is to pick Pugilist, level that to 15 so you get access to Limsa, then go Rogue. The reason you want to pick Pugilist is because you need lvl 15 Pugilist to become a Ninja once you're a lvl 30 Rogue, so you might as well do it from the start. If you really want to play Rogue asap, you have to pick a Limsa class(marauder or arcanist), but you'll still have to level pugilist to 15 eventually.

Top Bottom