• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

WolvenOne

Okay, gonna do another one of those feature content wishlists. Wanna focus on QoL though.

1: Modify Mount Roulette. In areas with flying unlocked, only flying mounts should come up. I'm getting really tired on manually picking a flying mount every time I go into a zone.

2: Give us additional reasons to go back into old zones. Okay this isn't strictly QoL but still, the game world feels so much larger when you're using all the zones, and right now I don't really go back into old zones except for hunts.

3: Rebalance Gold Saucer. It takes forever to get MGP, and the current rewards don't warrant the grind. Fenrir and the Turtle mount are the best rewards, and people will hardly use them in the new zones. Either reduce the price of the current rewards when the new rewards come out, or increase the amount of MGP you get for Gates, Mini-Cactpot, Choco Racing, etc.

4: Maybe simplify Choco Racing a bit. Just a little, most people only want to do stuff like that as an occasional diversion, especially with only cosmetic rewards at stake. It's not really reasonable to ask people to spend so much time breeding choco's and the like to get a suitable racing Choco. Also, Chocobo Racing Tournament, make it happen!

5: Mute Button for Lalafell Emote spamming.

Sorian

Banned
Okay, gonna do another one of those feature content wishlists. Wanna focus on QoL though.

1: Modify Mount Roulette. In areas with flying unlocked, only flying mounts should come up. I'm getting really tired on manually picking a flying mount every time I go into a zone.

2: Give us additional reasons to go back into old zones. Okay this isn't strictly QoL but still, the game world feels so much larger when you're using all the zones, and right now I don't really go back into old zones except for hunts.

3: Rebalance Gold Saucer. It takes forever to get MGP, and the current rewards don't warrant the grind. Fenrir and the Turtle mount are the best rewards, and people will hardly use them in the new zones. Either reduce the price of the current rewards when the new rewards come out, or increase the amount of MGP you get for Gates, Mini-Cactpot, Choco Racing, etc.

4: Maybe simplify Choco Racing a bit. Just a little, most people only want to do stuff like that as an occasional diversion, especially with only cosmetic rewards at stake. It's not really reasonable to ask people to spend so much time breeding choco's and the like to get a suitable racing Choco. Also, Chocobo Racing Tournament, make it happen!

5: Mute Button for Lalafell Emote spamming.

1) Every mount should be a flying mount. I see no reason why my lowrider drake from the Amaljaa dailies can't take to the sky.

2) Old zones were trash, they were nothing but a mistake.

3) Pls be excited for new GS things in 3.1, where the rewards are lower and the costs are higher!

4) In addition, 3.1 will also introduce 11 more ranks for your chocobo to be bred through. Please get excited.

5) ..... Ok yeah, we can agree here.

Ken

Hello all, just wondering if anyone has a good site for learning to heal as a whm or in general? I just did brayflox longstop (story) and that was a wake up call for me. I struggled with healing the tank and switching to dps to heal when things were going south. We only wiped once at the last boss, but i feel I need to learn more before heading into other dungeons if they are anything like brayflox. FYI I have virus/swiftcast/eye for eye as some guides I read suggest I get.

My main problem with healing is what to do at certain situations? for example the last boss of brayflox, everyone was spread around due to poison pool, had poison debuff, was at half health. I tried swiftcasting the tank with a cure2, but messed that up by accidently healing myself =/

So share your tips/sites with me pls,thx
:)

Just run the thing more as the thing and you'll get better at the thing.

Being a Tank in Heavensward with all the DPS checks in the dungeons makes me feel so powerless.

People just do not comprehend how to do good DPS, I have no clue why, maybe adding in an actual DPS meter would help, but man, its so frustrating being level gated, having to do
the Vault
70 times and half those runs having DPS that fails to do the simplest things.

The worst is when you tell them in the nicest way possible to do their proper rotation and tips on how to play their class, and they get super mad at me. Like why are you getting mad, I'm trying to make you better at the game

Also, for anyone who's lvld multiple classes to 60, what's the best way to level an alt class to 60 in this expac

Just tank in DPS stance and full STR.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I would say the Large Leves are less Leve allowance efficient but far more time efficient.

10 leves takes a very long time.
Does it count as accomplishing one leve or 10 leves?

K.Sabot

Anyone else unconsciously play the game sometimes? I was watching the SFV stuff on my second screen just now and I unconsciously signed up for Alexander Floor 2 while watching it.

Sorian

Banned
Anyone else unconsciously play the game sometimes? I was watching the SFV stuff on my second screen just now and I unconsciously signed up for Alexander Floor 2 while watching it.

I've found that my win rate in triple triad is higher if I watch something on my second monitor and pay no heed to where I am placing cards on the board.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This MSQ won't let me use Hide...

Why do I even have this skill
facepalm.gif

Valor

Hello all, just wondering if anyone has a good site for learning to heal as a whm or in general? I just did brayflox longstop (story) and that was a wake up call for me. I struggled with healing the tank and switching to dps to heal when things were going south. We only wiped once at the last boss, but i feel I need to learn more before heading into other dungeons if they are anything like brayflox. FYI I have virus/swiftcast/eye for eye as some guides I read suggest I get.

My main problem with healing is what to do at certain situations? for example the last boss of brayflox, everyone was spread around due to poison pool, had poison debuff, was at half health. I tried swiftcasting the tank with a cure2, but messed that up by accidently healing myself =/

I'm not a great healer, but I know a few, so I am a professional.

Rule 1: Do not DPS if you do not feel comfortable DPSing.

Rule 2: Do not DPS if you do not feel comfortable DPSing. Tell the other members of the party to shove it if they complain.

As you get more accustomed to dungeons you will learn when it is safe to throw up Stoneskin/Regen and then start Holy bombing or throwing out Aeros and Stones and Fluid Auras. Don't sweat it too much while learning the basics.

Targetting is a thing you just need to kind of get a feel for yourself. If you're on controller, tapping up and down on the dpad will let you cycle through your party list very quickly. If you have a target selected (like with x or whatever) and tap over to another target with the D-pad, you can cast a spell on them and your target will revert back to your initial one. This is pretty useful once in a while.

In Brayflox specifically, make use of the Esuna button to cleanse any poison stacks that are accumulating because it makes life easier to manage. Medica is a good tool for a quick aoe heal with a nice range. If the ranged dps is a mile away from you and not in range, but you hit the other two, then you learn to live with it. You can toss them a cure later if they need it. You can't do much for the tank if they eat the dragon's breath attack, since it does stupid amount of damage and is pretty hard to heal through.

A lot of healing you can kind of pick up as you go. Maybe the better healers here can give you better advice, but this is what I got for you at the moment.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
WTH so I just resubbed to the game and spent ages making a character and now none of the EU worlds are accepting new characters at this time...

Am I doing something wrong?

WolvenOne

WTH so I just resubbed to the game and spent ages making a character and now none of the EU worlds are accepting new characters at this time...

Am I doing something wrong?

Highly populated servers often gate character creation on servers, in order to push people onto less populated servers. Try again in, oh, a half hour or so.

Yea, I know, it's a pain.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot my password and security question answer. I emailed support with everything i know username. Where i brought game (steam) the date i brought it. Im wanting to jump back in but been over 2 weeks with no reply now :(

Wagram

I actually thought Chocobo Racing was quite fun (even if there is a hint of latency), but the amount of MGP that is required to actually partake and advance is ridiculous. Completely turned me off from an activity that should otherwise be fun.

TT is the same way, the RNG on card drops is ridiculous. I'm 1,500+ matches in on the imperial with over 50 Praetorium runs and no Gaius. People can win trade their way into the top 20 in tournies. I seen someone in the top twenty with ZERO wins and more points than someone with 40+ wins. Is this really the spirit of TT?

Sorian

Banned
I actually thought Chocobo Racing was quite fun (even if there is a hint of latency), but the amount of MGP that is required to actually partake and advance is ridiculous. Completely turned me off from an activity that should otherwise be fun.

TT is the same way, the RNG on card drops is ridiculous. I'm 1,500+ matches in on the imperial with over 50 Praetorium runs and no Gaius. People can win trade their way into the top 20 in tournies. I seen someone in the top twenty with ZERO wins and more points than someone with 40+ wins. Is this really the spirit of TT?

I killed Cloud of Darkness at least 80 times before seeing my first Onion Knight card :D

Edit: And though I don't agree with the win trading at all. To be fair, that person with zero wins at least played another player. The person with 40+ only played NPCs which is why they got jack. That's at least in the spirit I think.

suzu

I forgot my password and security question answer. I emailed support with everything i know username. Where i brought game (steam) the date i brought it. Im wanting to jump back in but been over 2 weeks with no reply now :(

You'd probably get better results from calling them up.

Just tank in DPS stance and full STR.
To be fair, I tanked all of Alexander with STR build and a couple of slaying accessories on PLD. Worked fine. I also swapped stances at certain points. Tornado/add phase of A3 or if I ever got sucked away in A4.

But yeah, this game sure loves its DPS checks. There's like no fun tank mechanics in all of Alexander.... A1 is just stand there, A2 is mostly just stand there, A3 is just stand there and swap once or twice... Try to be the first tank to the tether!

A4 is alright... EAT ALL THE BOMBS and hope you get sucked away from the madness of DPS failing to kill adds.

Sorian

Banned
To be fair, I tanked all of Alexander with STR build and a couple of slaying accessories on PLD. Worked fine. I also swapped stances at certain points. Tornado/add phase of A3 or if I ever got sucked away in A4.

But yeah, this game sure loves its DPS checks. There's like no fun tank mechanics in all of Alexander.... A1 is just stand there, A2 is mostly just stand there, A3 is just stand there and swap once or twice... Try to be the first tank to the tether!

A4 is alright... EAT ALL THE BOMBS and hope you get sucked away from the madness of DPS failing to kill adds.

Um, I wouldn't use the brain dead version of alexander for indication of anything.

Um, I wouldn't use the brain dead version of alexander for indication of anything.
That's the whole point of utilizing STR. You adapt to how tough the content is, at the moment there's no content tough enough for a high VIT build.

If Savage requires it, then people who use STR heavy builds will switch to VIT.

If you mean the gaming loving DPS checks. Then okay, but at the moment it's full of DPS checks. Every MMO is full of DPS checks.

Sorian

Banned
That's the whole point of utilizing STR. You adapt to how tough the content is, at the moment there's no content tough enough for a high VIT build.

If Savage requires it, then people who use STR heavy builds will switch to VIT.

I was more talking about the complaints of no fun tank mechanics. Also:

When* savage requires it.

I was more talking about the complaints of no fun tank mechanics. Also:

When* savage requires it.
I'm sure they'll add some fun stuff. Definitely, the game does a pretty decent job of making fights fun for tanks.

Normal Alex is not one of those places, lol.

Lanrutcon

Just to confirm: I just reactivated and grabbed my old character. Should I just not give a shit about gearing atm (lvl 50) and level to 60?

Anyway, what I wanted to post about (rather than arguing over nothing like this thread loves) was DRG.

Just hit 50, having a lot of fun with it. I read up on the 60 rotation and I'm scared. :( Also I ran Keeper of the Lake on it and got hit with a couple of AOEs. Still not used to timing jumps.

When do you use Spineshatter/Dragonfire? They're gap closers I know, but the former stuns and adds to stun resist and the latter has an awful CD. Do you ever use them in the rotation?

Is there any kind of AOE rotation? Or do you just focus on burning down each target?

Valor

Anyway, what I wanted to post about (rather than arguing over nothing like this thread loves) was DRG.

Just hit 50, having a lot of fun with it. I read up on the 60 rotation and I'm scared. :( Also I ran Keeper of the Lake on it and got hit with a couple of AOEs. Still not used to timing jumps.

When do you use Spineshatter/Dragonfire? They're gap closers I know, but the former stuns and adds to stun resist and the latter has an awful CD. Do you ever use them in the rotation?

Is there any kind of AOE rotation? Or do you just focus on burning down each target?
I know a dragoon, so I'm a professional.
Pop Dragonfire on cooldown for the most part against solo bosses buffed with HT/B4B/IR whatever else you got. Spineshatter is the same unless there's a boss/mob you need to stun at a certain time. Otherwise Leg Sweep/Spineshatter should be in the rotation.

AoE rotation is essentially Heavy Thrust -> Ring of Thorns then you can either spam Ring of Thorns or use Doom Spike spam. At 60 you can use Geirskogul for AoE but fuct if I know how that nonsense works.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

SD/DFD should be used as any other oGCD move - as soon as the cooldown is up and preferably when you have the most buffs up possible. So it's like Heavy -> IR -> Impulse -> B4B -> Disembowel -> Surge -> Chaos -> Jump -> Phleb -> SD -> True -> DFD -> Vorpal -> Life Surge -> Full -> Leg Swipe. Obviously at 60 there'll also be Blood of the Dragon, extra finishers and Geirskogul in there but the idea is to weave them into the main rotation. Most "serious" enemies resist Stun to begin with, so unless you need to withhold stuns, just use SD to your heart's content. Same with the gap closing problem - if you know the fight might require you to move a long distance soon, might be wise to keep it for a few more GCDs, otherwise just use it. DFD also has an AOE property, but that's no reason to not use it if you're attacking one target.

AOE "rotation" is really just Heavy to the side, then Ring of Thorns, then Doom Spike spam until Heavy falls off with appropriate buffs and oGCDs woven in between. Using Geirskogul on packs is... questionable. AOEing as a DRG burns TP very fast though, so you have to plan accordingly.

Fehyd

Banned

I used to use Dragonfire after I finished the TT+VT+FT combo.

Idea was to pop Blood for Blood in time for that combo, and you'd have enough time left to jam Dragonfire on after FT, since a full-powered FT with Life Surge was your biggest damage attack, and then Dragonfire after it was another big damage attack>

Now everything's all funky with the 60 rotation.

The AOE rotation is usually HT to proc the bonus on Ring of Thorns, spamming Ring of Thorns or Doom Spike depending on number of mobs, throwing in a Dragonfire if off cooldown so save on TP, then continuing with aoe attack until dead, or you bottom out on TP.

Doom Spike does a ton of damage, but its the most cosplay TP attack for DRG, so it can drain your reserves fast.

Audioboxer

Yay, killed Ifrit on the 2nd try. As I said in GAF guild chat I didn't help nuke the spear and I think that one hit ko'd the party. Group were kind enough just to tell me and not get angry.

So far everyone has been helpful to a new player in random groups. Told me about topaz pet being best for dungeons, and how to defeat that slime boss.

Anyway, finally going to get a mount. Fed up running around! Also happy going DPS first time around, I don't think I could handle tanking/healing on the PS4 yet. Still getting used to controls and learning the dungeons. Must get a bluetooth keyboard for chatting as the controller is clunky and slow.

Fehyd

Banned
Yay, killed Ifrit on the 2nd try. As I said in GAF guild chat I didn't help nuke the spear and I think that one hit ko'd the party. Group were kind enough just to tell me and not get angry.

So far everyone has been helpful to a new player in random groups. Told me about topaz pet being best for dungeons, and how to defeat that slime boss.

Anyway, finally going to get a mount. Fed up running around! Also happy going DPS first time around, I don't think I could handle tanking/healing on the PS4 yet. Still getting used to controls and learning the dungeons. Must get a bluetooth keyboard for chatting as the controller is clunky and slow.

If you have a smartphone you can synch it up with the Playstation App, and use that as your text entry until you get the keyboard. Can also transcribe using a speech to text on a cell too.

Audioboxer

If you have a smartphone you can synch it up with the Playstation App, and use that as your text entry until you get the keyboard. Can also transcribe using a speech to text on a cell too.

That's cool! Didn't know that.

Is everyone in GAF part of the same grand company or does it not matter?

Fehyd

Banned

I don't think it matters. You can pick whatever you like the colors and designs of for a GC, unless there's some GAF FC rule I don't know about (full disclosure, I play on a different server with a meta-guild).

Wilsongt

Brayflox is supposed to be a healer check. Try not to focus on DPSing and just heal.

Stuart444

Who are you in game? Jade Arcana here :).

And yeah, generally in most primal fights, there will be something you have to do to not get OKO'd. Ifrit it's the Nail.

Also it's Emerald Carby being best for dungeons, Topaz is best for field/solo stuff. (Topaz = tank pet)

Need any help, feel free to hit me up if you see me in game :).

Yeah, it doesn't matter. It's really only used for frontlines. Some people even switch just to do all the missions/achieve max rank in each company.

Top Bottom