• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Sorian

Banned
Yeah that was my understanding as well. So currently when I first apply to Enochian it's all good and I can rip Fire IV's until the mana runs out. But after the refreshes, and considering mechanics and movement, when the timer shortens it becomes tricky to do the Fire IVs and still refresh in time as you said. So if we no longer have to deal with the reduced timer then it just becomes a simple thing to keep pumping out Fire IVs with plenty of time to refresh and without having to consider what to do when in the shortened window. I mean black mage will do a lot more damage that way but for me that sounds a lot less fun to play.

From the official translation:

Q8. Maintaining Enochian is really difficult. Are you planning to change this at all?

A8. We’re planning to make adjustments so that you can overwrite the extended effect when you reuse Enochian again. With this change it will feel a lot different. Additionally, we may make slight adjustments to the effect of Thunder while under the effect of Enochian since there is not much of a use at the moment.

I read that to mean, only using the enochian skill will refresh it back up to 30 seconds. I think bliiz IV will still have the same effect. It seems this is just a change to cater to baddies.

Q58. Do you have plans to increase the ways we can obtain materials needed for vanity gear, so we can obtain them easier?

A58. I believe this is in regards to the Thavnairian gear, but when we previously introduced swimwear we carefully made adjustments. Because there aren't enough players at the level to challenge the Timeworn Dragonskin Map it feels this way, but as time passes it should circulate more frequently. However, we’re planning to make adjustments to the materials required for this recipe.

rip jayhawk's market soon

If you are using triggering the ability while still under the effects of Enochian that's a pretty bad mistake. :-(
I never said I did, just that it happens. Like everyone else has said, if you do the rotation properly Enochian falls off before you end up using the ability again to continue the rotation.

That doesn't mean the ability should work that way though. Not that it matters as I'm pretty damn sure that's what they're changing from the wording.

Sorian

Banned
Wait, what did he say about ninja?

Git gud, lag isn't an issue
because we are hard wired into the server when we test it so mudras work a-ok.

I never said I did, just that it happens. Like everyone else has said, if you do the rotation properly Enochian falls off before you end up using the ability again to continue the rotation.

That doesn't mean the ability should work that way though. Not that it matters as I'm pretty damn sure that's what they're changing from the wording.

I still think people should be punished for screwing up their rotation.

I'm sure playing it every day for being unplayable!

this is clearly the same thinking of the developers

"it works fine for me so therefore no issue!"

people from different countries have different latencies. The further away you are, the higher the ping and the less responsive the system is to the point that someone from Europe, such as myself, can't use mudras effectively due to the latency.

the ignorance is real.

Azzurri

So someone asked about flying in 2.0 areas and they said they rather, but money towards other stuff and what not (PS3 Limitations). So my question is what kind of budget is he getting. I mean it seems to be making good money and all, but for some reason they seems like they're hamstrung on a lot of stuff. I know it is expensive to make an MMO, but from what FFXIV supposedly makes to what they actually have the budget to do seems off to me.

YoshiP is the like the GM of the Minnesota Twins, and SE is like that billionaire owner who won't cough up the cash

aceface

Savage Alex lockout basically the same as FCOB. Help feature still included, also everyone gets one token per floor in addition to gear drops. More than 5 people in your party previously cleared you won't get gear but ppl without token will still get it.

WB statics.

Sorian

Banned
So someone asked about flying in 2.0 areas and they said they rather, but money towards other stuff and what not (PS3 Limitations). So my question is what kind of budget is he getting. I mean it seems to be making good money and all, but for some reason they seems like they're hamstrung on a lot of stuff. I know it is expensive to make an MMO, but from what FFXIV supposedly makes to what they actually have the budget to do seems off to me.

I see this as the reasoning?

Q65. Will you make it possible to fly in 2.0 areas?

A65. The 2.0 areas weren't designed with height in mind, so even if we make it possible to fly in these areas, there won’t be anything to do. Additionally, to make this possible, we’ll need to make large improvements to the graphics quality to these maps in order to fly.

There's no real reason to fly in 2.0 zones. It would be a waste of dev time that I would rather they use on other things anyway.

Savage Alex lockout basically the same as FCOB.

WB statics.

I'm sure there were audible gasps from the audience from all of their shock. /s

IvorB

From the official translation:

I read that to mean, only using the enochian skill will refresh it back up to 30 seconds. I think bliiz IV will still have the same effect. It seems this is just a change to cater to baddies.

Oh okay that's different. I thought they were changing it so that Blizzard IV gave you back full Enochian every time. Sorry, ignore me then.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah that was my understanding as well. So currently when I first apply to Enochian it's all good and I can rip Fire IV's until the mana runs out. But after the refreshes, and considering mechanics and movement, when the timer shortens it becomes tricky to do the Fire IVs and still refresh in time as you said. So if we no longer have to deal with the reduced timer then it just becomes a simple thing to keep pumping out Fire IVs with plenty of time to refresh and without having to consider what to do when in the shortened window. I mean black mage will do a lot more damage that way but for me that sounds a lot less fun to play.

If you are using triggering the ability while still under the effects of Enochian that's a pretty bad mistake. :-(

Which is absolutely disappointing and boring. Other BLMs need to getgud. Sigh.

Valor

Ninja mudra lag makes that class unplayable and they just shrug it off? lmao

I'm glad I dropped that class after a few weeks.
Unplayable is a bit of an overreaction.

the ignorance is real.
I don't think there's much of an easy fix to mudras aside from revamping the whole system. They work well enough and there's a lot less reliance on triple mudras now than there was before 60. The class is fine and plenty of people are putting up fine numbers with Ninja.

Savage Alex lockout basically the same as FCOB. Help feature still included, also everyone gets one token per floor. More than 5 people in your party previously cleared you won't get gear but ppl without token will still get it.

WB statics.
I mean was there ever a moment where we didn't see statics returning for Savage Alex?

Moaradin

I'm sure playing it every day for being unplayable!

I wish I was as lucky as you because it's so bad for me that I completely stopped playing the class. I love Ninja in concept but FFXIV servers don't handle short GCD abilities like that well unless you have a super good ping.

Unplayable is a bit of an overreaction.

I don't think there's much of an easy fix to mudras aside from revamping the whole system. They work well enough and there's a lot less reliance on triple mudras now than there was before 60. The class is fine and plenty of people are putting up fine numbers with Ninja.

Lag neuters that class significantly more than any other dps class. If I was constantly dropping GL3 because of any slight lag, I'd probably stop playing Monk too lol.

Sorian

Banned
I was right about Alexander Savage loot system. Items still drop but you also get tokens like in Ravana etc.

Monkey's paw, I bet the tokens won't be used to get armor to fill in but will instead be for a tomestone type weapon like T11 and T7.

I don't think there's much of an easy fix to mudras aside from revamping the whole system. They work well enough and there's a lot less reliance on triple mudras now than there was before 60. The class is fine and plenty of people are putting up fine numbers with Ninja

Again, I feel like this opinion is coming from someone who doesn't have the ping issues Europeans do?

It's not about triple Mudras, even double Mudras massively clip the GCD for me to the point that it would be a DPS increase for me to use Fuma Shuriken instead of Raiton. I'd still never be able to put up the numbers of a Ninja with lower ping.

It's a lot worse than people seem to realise for those outside of the US/Canada

Klyka

Banned
this is clearly the same thinking of the developers

"it works fine for me so therefore no issue!"

people from different countries have different latencies. The further away you are, the higher the ping and the less responsive the system is to the point that someone from Europe, such as myself, can't use mudras effectively due to the latency.

the ignorance is real.

I am from EU.

Something having "issues" and something being "unplayable" are two very very different things.

Sorian

Banned
Q74. Can you make it so the horns and face options for Au Ra are separate?

A74. Right now it’s not possible since separating these would stress system processes. In regards to color as well, it’s currently using the maximum memory specifications, so it would require core system adjustments. We will look into it once more.

Yo damn, seriously, just shut out the PS3 already. I know some people joke about it but this answer is really getting old.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
WoW never added flying in the old world till they did an old world themed expansion (and remaking the world appeared to take so much of their time and budget they created the most content-light expansion to date except maybe the new one).

I am from EU.

Something having "issues" and something being "unplayable" are two very very different things.

if you want to maximise the potential of your class then it pretty much is unplayable. For any person serious about raiding, putting up the best numbers you can is the biggest part of playing a DPS. I'm eliminated from ever doing that with Ninja.

Crosseyes

Banned
Again, I feel like this opinion is coming from someone who doesn't have the ping issues Europeans do?

It's not about triple Mudras, even double Mudras massively clip the GCD for me to the point that it would be a DPS increase for me to use Fuma Shuriken instead of Raiton. I'd still never be able to put up the numbers of a Ninja with lower ping.

It's a lot worse than people seem to realise for those outside of the US/Canada
I just dont see how they can really do much about EU being too far from current data centers beside continue with implementing their EU server cluster. They aint gonna break the rules of physics by making EU players send their mudras overseas without significant lag.

IMBored

I don't understand why mudras have to be used immediately and aren't saved for 5 seconds so you can use a gcd skill. Hell, making using the ninjutsu a gcd skill would be better than what we got.

Sorian

Banned
I just dont see how they can really do much about EU being too far from current data centers beside continue with implementing their EU server cluster. They aint gonna break the rules of physics by making EU players send their mudras overseas without significant lag.

Mudras would be significantly improved if damage had been tuned around a 1s GCD instead of a 0.5 second GCD. In terms of latency issues at least, I under stand people with good latency would immediately cry about "job is too easy now!"

Q76. Do you have plans to introduce an afro hairstyle?

A76. We're going to add this in Patch 3.1. We actually had it nearly ready to release, but the number of polygons were too high. We're currently making adjustments to this, so please look forward to it.

GAME CHANGER

Better reserve your afro samurai themed character now

they would have to rework the system, which I believe they should do, but in the meantime there are certainly adjustments that could be made, such as not failing the mudra because you used a GCD weaponskill before executing the cast. They could also reduce the cushion/animation lock on weaponskills so that you're not locked out of doing a mudra for so long after executing a weaponskill.

Zomba13

Yo damn, seriously, just shut out the PS3 already. I know some people joke about it but this answer is really getting old.

PS2 limitations was a thing that held back FFXI and PS3 limitations will be a thing that holds back FFXIV. PS4 limitations will hold back FFXVIII.

Mudras would be significantly improved if damage had been tuned around a 1s GCD instead of a 0.5 second GCD. In terms of latency issues at least, I under stand people with good latency would immediately cry about "job is too easy now!"

GAME CHANGER

Better reserve your afro samurai themed character now

Well, that's half the battle right there. The other is to add Samurai class in a later patch like they did Ninja.

Sorian

Banned
Q78. Do you have plans to make it possible to sell items on the market board, or send retainers on ventures, without switching between each retainer?

A78. The server that manages retainers are calling each retainers individually when you need to give orders. So calling four at once would cause lots of stress on the server. As mentioned earlier, we need to place some type of limit on the stress somewhere to get features like glamouring directly from retainer inventory. We’re considering these with the server loads in mind, so we ask for your patience. Additionally, we’re looking into making it possible to sell items directly from retainers.

I'd rather they just let us sell directly from the market board and we can just choose a retainer from the list who will handle it.

Well, that's half the battle right there. The other is to add Samurai class in a later patch like they did Ninja.

It's coming in 4.0. This has been heavily hinted with winks and nods ever since they said no sam in 3.0.

SRTtoZ

No reason to re-work 2.0 areas for flying because the zones are so damn small its pretty much wasted resources. Its not like WoW where the old zones were one giant map where it probably took hours to run from one side to the other, maybe more.

Ferr986

I am from EU.

I agree it's not unplayable but it's not a question where you respond with a "git gud" type of answer.
Ninja is the job that probably is affected more with lag thanks to the mudras. It's nout about a player skill. They need either to revamp the system or put that EU servers already.

PS2 limitations was a thing that held back FFXI and PS3 limitations will be a thing that holds back FFXIV. PS4 limitations will hold back FFXVIII.
Funny though, the past year or so FFXI has had so many QoL changes that were previously not implemented cause of "PS2 Limitations". Inventory space being the most notable one.

Crosseyes

Banned
Yeah that would make thing more consistent in ensuring with or without lag it would cost time into the GCD but for ninjas with good enough latency that would probably make them feel sluggish and not nearly as fun.

But then again that kinda flies in contrast to bard where they dont seem to be as concerned about the 'fun' nerf they gave to bards from their opinion.

Sorian

Banned
Q81. Can you make it so we can set our retainers as the new jobs?

A81. It's on our task list to make it so that you can set your retainers as any of the jobs, not only the new ones. This should make it in time for Patch 3.1.

Want to highlight this one. It's always been irritating getting higher ilvls at times because of this weird restrictions. I look forward to pawning my esoteric junk off on my retainers over time.

Yeah that would make thing more consistent in ensuring with or without lag it would cost time into the GCD but for ninjas with good enough latency that would probably make them feel sluggish and not nearly as fun.

But then again that kinda flies in contrast to bard where they dont seem to be as concerned about the 'fun' nerf they gave to bards from their opinion.

I would make it so that using a weaponskill or anything else wouldn't break your mudra-> ninjutsu chain. That would avoid the feeling of being sluggish.

Valor

I was right about Alexander Savage loot system. Items still drop but you also get tokens like in Ravana etc.
I assumed as much too. The token system would be a bit too easy to gear people up super quick in some groups.

Monkey's paw, I bet the tokens won't be used to get armor to fill in but will instead be for a tomestone type weapon like T11 and T7.
My question re: tokens would be are they the same kind of tokens like you get from Babby Mode? There are a ton of tokens there, and getting one per floor seems a bit odd? My guess would be that it's like Ravana like Kagari said and you'll cash in x amount for y piece of gear.

I mean, i know you're taking the piss and all that, but I would assume tokens are a longer-term supplement to eventually get the gear you're after while the drops are there for the here and now. Immediate reward vs Eventual reward? I think it sounds like a good system in theory. The only way to fuck it up is to make it so that you can either get a belt or an accessory token after floor one and then that's up to rng. That would be the absolute worst.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yoshi-P, I like you man but seriously consider your answers for a world wide audience.

Yoshi-P was at one of the North American events (I believe the Fanfest) and was playing on our servers. His first response was "Why is there all this lag". Someone replied to him "That's normal". His response was shock and "We need to fix this".

Simply put Japanese players have an advantage compared to the rest of the world. If the groups I've been in didn't have lag issues and people being dropped I can't imagine the amount of time that would have been saved.

When people say Ninja is unplayable, they mean playing it to its max in a raid type setting.

That's such a bullshit answer lol. Probably has nothing to do with PS3.

Azzurri

Funny though, the past year or so FFXI has had so many QoL changes that were previously not implemented cause of "PS2 Limitations". Inventory space being the most notable one.

I don't think PS2 is used anymore, even in Japan, so you get what you get on PS2, so upgrade to PC or PS3. I know they stopped development for PS2 in NA and Euro a long time ago.

If and when FFXVII comes out it better be developed for PS5 and not PS4.

Sorian

Banned
My question re: tokens would be are they the same kind of tokens like you get from Babby Mode? There are a ton of tokens there, and getting one per floor seems a bit odd? My guess would be that it's like Ravana like Kagari said and you'll cash in x amount for y piece of gear.

I mean, i know you're taking the piss and all that, but I would assume tokens are a longer-term supplement to eventually get the gear you're after while the drops are there for the here and now. Immediate reward vs Eventual reward? I think it sounds like a good system in theory. The only way to fuck it up is to make it so that you can either get a belt or an accessory token after floor one and then that's up to rng. That would be the absolute worst.

It would definitely be like Rav, I have no doubt about that. My point was more that, instead of making it as a way to guarantee gear in the long run, they instead made the tokens a form of alternate progression (weapon only comes from tokens, armor only comes from immediate drops).

Always gotta imagine ways that SE will screw it up.

Yoshi-P was at one of the North American events (I believe the Fanfest) and was playing on our servers. His first response was "Why is there all this lag". Someone replied to him "That's normal". His response was shock and "We need to fix this".

His real response was actually vomiting and saying that he would never travel to the states ever again. He then called us trash and walked away.

I don't think PS2 is used anymore, even in Japan, so you get what you get on PS2, so upgrade to PC or PS3. I know they stopped development for PS2 in NA and Euro a long time ago.

If and when FFXVII comes out it better be developed for PS5 and not PS4.
Nah, Seekers released on PS2 in Japan in 2013. There's a video of someone loading up with PS2 version and having access to Seekers on YT.

They're ending PS2 support completely after Rhapsodies finishes I believe.

So, out of curiosity, are people warming up to the MCH playstyle and the new BRD playstyle?

I was thinking about leveling one of those as an alt because I've never played a ranged class.

Valor

When people say Ninja is unplayable, they mean playing it to its max in a raid type setting.
This is semantics, but that's not exactly what is implied when people drop the word "unplayable". Arkham Knight on PC was unplayable. Ninja has issues with it. It's a balancing act to account for latency and to keep the spirit of the job alive. I don't like the idea of being able to do GCD skills between Mudra casts because it takes away from the feel of the class. I have latency as well, as people like Bookey can attest to when we did a few tests and stuff, but I still find the class extremely playable.

Again, my big issue is just the semantics of what label we're throwing on Ninja. As it stands, it is anything but "unplayable", but it's not ideal for people with eurolag.

His real response was actually vomiting and saying that he would never travel to the states ever again. He then called us trash and walked away.
"America was a mistake. It's nothing but trash." - YoshiP 2014

So, out of curiosity, are people warming up to the MCH playstyle and the new BRD playstyle?

I was thinking about leveling one of those as an alt because I've never played a ranged class.
I'm one of the dirty few who really likes Wanderer's Minuet on Bard. I think it's a fun mechanic to play around with. Machinist I'm still a little lukewarm on, but I'm only level 56 in it, so my judgments don't mean a whole lot.

Bard still has a few issues with Minuet, but I think you can work around them for now until they take additional steps to smooth it out, which should hopefully be coming in 3.05, which is coming rather soon.

Sorian

Banned
Q85. What is with the small Miqo’te that can be seen in that one area? Is this something we will be able to choose as a new race in the future?

A85. Please look forward to future development. It’s difficult to implement races that have expression limitations and other issues. By the way, Lalafell’s heads are too big, so don’t treat them as children!

Heh, Angary, are you ready for lalafell sized cat girls and dragon girls running around?

iammeiam

Oh god. The only thing worse than people's scantily-clad waifus are the inevitable scantly-clad child waifus.

MCH plays well. Damage considerations and discussions aside, it's a very well put-together job.

BRD plays like a half-baked MCH wannabe, with the most recent changes making it easier to stance dance but punishing you more than ever for the time you spend out of rooted mode.

If you're going to play MCH, you need to level Bard up through at the very least Hawk's Eye (Quelling Strikes isn't a bad idea because opener Wildfire occasionally catches tanks off-guard) for cross-class skills.

Curufinwe

I have never played an MMO but I downloaded the 14-day trial last night and will give it a go once I get my Square Enix account sorted out.

What are the best/easiest classes for someone who has only ever played single player RPGs?

This is semantics, but that's not exactly what is implied when people drop the word "unplayable". Arkham Knight on PC was unplayable. Ninja has issues with it. It's a balancing act to account for latency and to keep the spirit of the job alive. I don't like the idea of being able to do GCD skills between Mudra casts because it takes away from the feel of the class. I have latency as well, as people like Bookey can attest to when we did a few tests and stuff, but I still find the class extremely playable.

Again, my big issue is just the semantics of what label we're throwing on Ninja. As it stands, it is anything but "unplayable", but it's not ideal for people with eurolag.

I mean, if we want to get into semantics I've been playing Arkham Knight on PC at a locked 30 fps and it looks better than on console, so that's not really unplayable either.

If we're using unplayable to mean not playable to its fullest potential, then it applies in the same manner as mudra lag for Europeans.

It's really, really bad for us. People shouldn't be deflecting away from the issue or belittling it, we should all be trying to get it changed so everyone can enjoy the class equally.

Top Bottom