• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Klyka

Banned
Yoshi-P was at one of the North American events (I believe the Fanfest) and was playing on our servers. His first response was "Why is there all this lag". Someone replied to him "That's normal". His response was shock and "We need to fix this".

Haha, is there source for this?

Valor

MCH plays well. Damage considerations and discussions aside, it's a very well put-together job.

BRD plays like a half-baked MCH wannabe, with the most recent changes making it easier to stance dance but punishing you more than ever for the time you spend out of rooted mode.

If you're going to play MCH, you need to level Bard up through at the very least Hawk's Eye (Quelling Strikes isn't a bad idea because opener Wildfire occasionally catches tanks off-guard) for cross-class skills.

Mechanically (yuk yuk) Machinist does play rather nicely, but the damage aspect is meh. Being out of GB still feels like it plays a lot smoother than being in GB. The biggest difference I have seen so far between WM and GB is that Gauss Round is a freaking instant cast EA. What the fuck. Still, GB seems super slow, the proc issue rears its head way more with GB, and it's probably just me, but Rapid Fire does not jive well whatsoever with my Wildfire rotation with GB.

I used to use it to get to the procs super quick to hit my auto crit fully buffed Clean Shot, but now I end up wasting like 1-2 GCDs insta-casting instant cast procs. Any tips, Angary-senpai?

Klyka

Banned
Q89. Please tell us the progress regarding the EU Data Center.

A89. We've finished purchasing all the equipment, and we're currently in the process of setting everything up. We need to perform various checks moving forward, but we're planning to open it sometime this year and hoping to do this around the timing of Patch 3.1.

Can't fucking wait.

fedexpeon

Banned
I have never played an MMO but I downloaded the 14-day trial last night and will give it a go once I get my Square Enix account sorted out.

What are the best/easiest classes for someone who has only ever played single player RPGs?

Warrior.
Good tank, good dps, instant quick-match/queue.
Easy to tank with Overpowered spam if you don't know what the hell you are doing.
And you will never have to worry about dungeon wait time so you can level and gear up faster.

iammeiam

Mechanically (yuk yuk) Machinist does play rather nicely, but the damage aspect is meh. Being out of GB still feels like it plays a lot smoother than being in GB. The biggest difference I have seen so far between WM and GB is that Gauss Round is a freaking instant cast EA. What the fuck. Still, GB seems super slow, the proc issue rears its head way more with GB, and it's probably just me, but Rapid Fire does not jive well whatsoever with my Wildfire rotation with GB.

WM you are rooted or at the mercy of Straighter Shot procs. Those are your options, unless you want to spam Feint like it's going out of style (and if we count Feint spam, MCH gets it too.) It's just bland. There's no depth to the class, no planning, no control. It's pure RNG in all the worst ways.

GB gives you a few tools to deal with things. You can proc fish if there's movement coming up soon-but-not-now. You can bank procs on 3 and then 2 to ensure you have an instant-cast handy without wasting any potential future procs (vs sitting on Straighter Shot, where every Heavy Shot you do with it up is a potential wasted Straighter Shot proc); ammo gives you guaranteed GCDs for movement, ditto Rapid Fire. There's a lot you can change about the MCH rotation to cope with movement, especiallly in FFXIV's insanely scripted boss fights.

Basically on MCH if I'm stuck rooted somewhere mashing one hoping for RNG to bless me, there are probably a few choices I made along the way to get there. On Bard it's just praying for RNG all day every day. I do think Reload/Quick Reload need slightly shorter CDs because the stretches in between are a little too long, but MCH I usually look at an encounter and think there are things I can do to deal with it. BRD is just deal with turret mode or eat the damage loss from turning it off.

I used to use it to get to the procs super quick to hit my auto crit fully buffed Clean Shot, but now I end up wasting like 1-2 GCDs insta-casting instant cast procs. Any tips, Angary-senpai?

They're not wasted--you're shrinking your GCD for the instant-cast procs, too, letting you fit an extra GCD-ish into Wildfire. I do go against max DPS/conventional wisdom (surprise!) and sit on Rapid Fire when I know I'll need to move, or if I want to Hot Shot/Lead Shot/Get my first proc really, really fast after a jump phase, but using it in the opener isn't really a waste if you can gain an extra hit.

My MCH opener is hot garbage right now, though. There are somehow more buttons to hit than bard, the Wildfire timer giving a massive punishment for missing something, and then Rapid Fire messing with oGCD weaving for those GCDs.

Klyka

Banned
That airship name will be the decline of the FC.

Does anyone have a pic from that "doma adventurers guild" quest where it zooms in on a Lalafell and it says "LALAFELLS!!!!" underneath?

Cause that is my exact reaction everytime I see a Lala.

Valor

I have never played an MMO but I downloaded the 14-day trial last night and will give it a go once I get my Square Enix account sorted out.

What are the best/easiest classes for someone who has only ever played single player RPGs?

You should probably roll one of the DPS classes. Any of them, really. DPS have very limited responsibilities in early dungeons, and you can follow along with others until you know the ropes.

Tanks are more of a leadership role, and people will expect you to know what you're doing. DPS you can just kind of do your own thing for the most part.

There are a couple of pretty "easy" classes like Archer and Lancer you can try out at first, but once you hit level 10 on your first class you can change to anything you'd like, so you can try out a multitude of different jobs to find one that you like.

iammeiam

4/4 lives and actually sounds pretty fucking great:

It will be possible to complete each area once per week, and in addition to obtaining equipment directly from treasure coffers, everyone will receive a token that can be used to exchange for gear.

In the event that players who already completed an area for the week are present, similar to Coil, the number of chests that appear will change based on the amount of these players; however, you will still be able to obtain the token item if you have yet to do so for the week.

Additionally, in regards to the normal mode of Alexander, we've been seeing feedback mentioning that the lotting battles are rough, so we may look into increasing the amount of rewards.

Also buffing Alex Normal's shitty loot tables?

at least something in this live letter is good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Client side Mudra processing? (Make Kassatsu client side as well while you're at it)

Razzorn34

Warrior.
Good tank, good dps, instant quick-match/queue.
Easy to tank with Overpowered spam if you don't know what the hell you are doing.
And you will never have to worry about dungeon wait time so you can level and gear up faster.

Considering how the playerbase can be, I wouldn't recommend a Tank to anyone new. If you go with it, you had better have really thick skin.

Play a DPS to start with.

Valor

My MCH opener is hot garbage right now, though. There are somehow more buttons to hit than bard, the Wildfire timer giving a massive punishment for missing something, and then Rapid Fire messing with oGCD weaving for those GCDs.

Agreed with the amount of buttons. Basically the way I see it you're gonna need to hit Blood for Blood, Hawk's Eye, Raging Strikes, Hot Shot, Lead Shot, Reload, Gauss Round, Head Graze, Blank, all while doing your 1-2-1-3-2-1-3-2 before Wildfire ticks off. It's a bit overwhelming trying to squeeze all of that in with the cast times. However, seeing that 2k+ Wildfire is so worth it.

I also realize I'm not even putting Hypercharge shit in at all yet because I don't even have access to that stuff. So many buttons.

Klyka

Banned
But moooooooooooom I don't wanna lvl a boring DRG to get Blood for Bloooooood.
I just wanna be a Ninja who spins around a lot :(

Sorian

Banned
Agreed with the amount of buttons. Basically the way I see it you're gonna need to hit Blood for Blood, Hawk's Eye, Raging Strikes, Hot Shot, Lead Shot, Reload, Gauss Round, Head Graze, Blank, all while doing your 1-2-1-3-2-1-3-2 before Wildfire ticks off. It's a bit overwhelming trying to squeeze all of that in with the cast times. However, seeing that 2k+ Wildfire is so worth it.

Because I play BLM almost exclusively, I forget that other classes have to work hard for their one cool ability to hit like a wet noodle.

Oh man, nice incentive for help groups right there.

Am I missing it? I mean that's pretty sweet for the person getting help, but I don't see the incentive for helping others.

iammeiam

I think the token thing does add a layer of validation to helping though; no more running a 4/4 to have the only loot drop be some random DRG shoes for a DRG-less group. Depending on how token trade-ins work out, people could gear up not terribly via help groups.

Add in Hypercharge and Ricochet once you hit 60; it's a lot. Hypercharge in particular is one you have to put in like... immediately, since it buffs everything you do after.

(But... yeah, the numbers get insane. I screwed up royally on a dummy yesterday and still got 5.5k Wildfire. Tanks who focus on DPS over hate generation and don't know how MCH works occasionally get surprised.)

Arkeband

Banned
WoW never added flying in the old world till they did an old world themed expansion (and remaking the world appeared to take so much of their time and budget they created the most content-light expansion to date except maybe the new one).

The real reason for this is the second you're flying, the illusion that all that stuff outside of the boundaries of real zones is real fades away. Everything's designed to look real from a ground perspective, they ran around the perimeter of the zone and figured out what they needed to do to make it look semi believable.

The old zones are highly decorated boxes, like a movie set.

Truman3a.jpg

Valor

Because I play BLM almost exclusively, I forget that other classes have to work hard for their one cool ability to hit like a wet noodle.
Well I'm also only level 56, so I assume that the damage is gonna go up when I'm 180whatever.
But yeah, it's a lot of work for that damage, but it's also 25% of the damage that's been done during the course of that duration, so you can do a decent bit. Not 10k crits, mind you, but it should end up being a respectable number that will promptly tear off of a tank, which should make any BLM who doesn't wanna get Quelling Strikes very proud.

Sorian

Banned
Well I'm also only level 56, so I assume that the damage is gonna go up when I'm 180whatever.
But yeah, it's a lot of work for that damage, but it's also 25% of the damage that's been done during the course of that duration, so you can do a decent bit. Not 10k crits, mind you, but it should end up being a respectable number that will promptly tear off of a tank, which should make any BLM who doesn't wanna get Quelling Strikes very proud.

Galen, you didn't hear.

I tormented myself to 34 bard. The legend is over.

Zomba13

The real reason for this is the second you're flying, the illusion that all that stuff outside of the boundaries of real zones is real fades away. Everything's designed to look real from a ground perspective, they ran around the perimeter of the zone and figured out what they needed to do to make it look semi believable.

Truman3a.jpg

Well in the new zones when you get to an edge or too high you just hit a magic forcefield. They would need to do some work on the mountains and tops/back angles of some places that you never see from the ground but they can then just put a big invisible wall up when they don't want us getting out of bounds like in outer la noscia and then walking all around upper la noscia.

Sorian

Banned
Ah. I was wondering why I saw flags flying at half mast today.

Blame the dark knights. They are trash at keeping aggro even when I'm more focused on watching a show on my other monitor than actually paying attention to my enochian.

Well in the new zones when you get to an edge or too high you just hit a magic forcefield. They would need to do some work on the mountains and tops/back angles of some places that you never see from the ground but they can then just put a big invisible wall up when they don't want us getting out of bounds like in outer la noscia and then walking all around upper la noscia.

They'd have to rework the boundaries of 2.0 zones too. There are invisible walls all around any bodies of water and the like that probably extend all the way upward as well which isn't a problem in HW because they let you fly over those walls (cause they were designed in tandem)

Blame the dark knights. They are trash at keeping aggro even when I'm more focused on watching a show on my other monitor than actually paying attention to my enochian.

As a person leveling DRK, how is this even possible lol

With Dark Arts, Dark Knights can get stupid amounts of aggro. /shrug

Maybe just let me float a foot off the ground so I can get that 200% speed boost. I don't really need to fly high or out of the already existing boundaries of the current zones. I wouldn't want them to spend too much time on it.

BadRNG

Sent you a PM.

I would say a dps would probably be good start. Unlike a lot of MMOs you can be any class in the game and can freely switch, so it's not really a major commitment no matter what you choose.

Something like Archer or Arcanist would be good, both are ranged with lots of movement (and arcanist gets a pet that can tank stuff for you). Later down the line arcanist can turn into both a healer or a dps, so you can get some flexibility and try another role faster.

Valnen

I'll quote someone from my FC:

"I want to use a big sword but I don't want to tank."

~the overwhelming majority of Dark Knights~
What's dumb is Dark Knights are pretty shitty right now. They don't hit very hard. Their hardest hitting ability doesn't even come close to Fell Cleave.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

Truman3a.jpg

Yeah, it was the same thing in WoW- the topography vanished as soon as you left the places you were supposed to go (barring weird easter eggs like the airport and old ironforge). Though it wasn't quite as ridiculous as XIV where if you can cheat outside the boundaries you'll be in a horrible void in about 2 seconds.

iammeiam

DRK's unsheathed running animation does not look stylish. They all look like they're going to trip at any moment and accidentally amputate something.

Sorian

Banned
DRK's unsheathed running animation does not look stylish. They all look like they're going to trip at any moment and accidentally amputate something.

Hopefully it's the closest lalafell.

Edit: That being said, "Accidental Amputation" would be an excellent name for an attack.

Valnen

I think it looks fine on my Miqo'te, I look like I'm going to run someone through. I just feel like the class is ridiculously weak right now and needs some potency buffs.Especially on Carve and Spit, which could actually be bugged anyway seeing the description and what it actually does. At least let us use it as much as a warrior can use Fell Cleave if you won't allow it to hit as hard, god damn.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Am I missing it? I mean that's pretty sweet for the person getting help, but I don't see the incentive for helping others.
You get a token even if you haven't cleared.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I am reading it right then, no real incentive for the person helping, just for the person receiving help. Not that that's bad, just sounded like you meant something different.

Well, it's nice for people who maybe weren't able to clear for the week. At least they get something?

Zomba13

Yeah, it was the same thing in WoW- the topography vanished as soon as you left the places you were supposed to go (barring weird easter eggs like the airport and old ironforge). Though it wasn't quite as ridiculous as XIV where if you can cheat outside the boundaries you'll be in a horrible void in about 2 seconds.

You could explore almost all of Upper La Noscea if you got out of bounds in Outer La Noacea.

iammeiam

Huh.

I just realized Alex Savage carry sales are going to be a thing pretty much immediately (as soon as gearing allows) due to the token drop--wonder what the market value of a token carry will be early on.

Top Bottom