• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

suzu

I made a new character and I'm waiting for Cerberus to open up so that I can join some friends. Can I quit the game and try again later, without losing my character?

If you mean the character's appearance, you can save that at least. I think the option should pop up when you finish creating it?

iammeiam

I'd be highly surprised if every single mount doesn't become a flyer in a future patch. Air bladders or some non-sense. I just got the draught chocobo yesterday and, while I'm not surprised, seems like an odd thing not to make fly. I assume the wedding chocobos aren't flying either. I feel like 2 seater flying mounts need to happen.

I'm pretty sure the 2-seaters are going to stay ground-bound for a while unless they implement some really weird restrictions. They don't want people who haven't unlocked flight in a zone to get to flying-only places, going to the point of making it so the EB rings don't work for it.

They'd have to make it impossible to mount a 2-seater mount in a HW zone unless you had flight unlocked, or something.

Zomba13

I'd be highly surprised if every single mount doesn't become a flyer in a future patch. Air bladders or some non-sense. I just got the draught chocobo yesterday and, while I'm not surprised, seems like an odd thing not to make fly. I assume the wedding chocobos aren't flying either. I feel like 2 seater flying mounts need to happen.

I can see flying Draught and Wedding chocobos happening along with the flying Ahriman patch. I could also see a quest for flying magitek armour. Have Wedge or Biggs install it with boosters or something.

There should be something that says save character appearance data. Click that and name the appearance. When you go to make a new character later at any time, it will ask if you want to load data, say yes and select it from the list.

you can "save character appearance" and reuse it at any time.

If you mean the character's appearance, you can save that at least. I think the option should pop up when you finish creating it?

Thank you for the swift replies :D I had indeed already saved it so I'll try again in a couple of hours.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What I want is a giant Bomb hot air balloon flying mount.

WolvenOne

When the EU server is up, will all the NA people see a noticeable benefit you think?

Probably a slight benefit. I don't think they're actually reducing the capacity of the North American servers, so moving those players to another server should slightly reduce the strain on NA servers.

However, I think most of the time the connection issues we see are due to routing through bad hubs, poor isps, crappy routers, etc etc etc. So it should help, but I doubt it'll be a night and day improvement.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You don't have access to Bismarck's core's rear. Alexander 4F's legs are treated as flanks.

If I remember correctly, those two are coded as all-siders, a rare type of targeting circle that makes every positional proc correctly. Manipulator's legs definitely are.

iammeiam

People are really asking them to nerf alexander normal? I think it could stand to be a bit harder.

I think Alex normal is in a really weird spot; it favors statics in some weird ways and is surprisingly non-casual-friendly for the way the content was designed.

It's all varying levels of pretty easy, but has fairly punishing mechanics. A4 is basically going to be a one-shot in DF or you're wiping for a lockout. Which wouldn't be so discouraging, except that the loot system is incredibly unfriendly to anyone queueing solo. You get a shot at more drops per week than under the WoD system, but you have a lot more competition than under the WoD system since basically everyone in your group is going to be eligible to roll on everything.

I think the difficulty tuning is probably roughly around where it should be, but the loot system is encouraging people to treat these as disposable grind content. Alex Normal isn't quite that easy, and so it winds up really frustrating to DF for inifnity. If it was something like you just had to do it once a week, instead of over and over and over, I'm guessing people would be more up for the areas of challenge it provides.

I think Alex normal is in a really weird spot; it favors statics in some weird ways and is surprisingly non-casual-friendly for the way the content was designed.

It's all varying levels of pretty easy, but has fairly punishing mechanics. A4 is basically going to be a one-shot in DF or you're wiping for a lockout. Which wouldn't be so discouraging, except that the loot system is incredibly unfriendly to anyone queueing solo. You get a shot at more drops per week than under the WoD system, but you have a lot more competition than under the WoD system since basically everyone in your group is going to be eligible to roll on everything.

I think the difficulty tuning is probably roughly around where it should be, but the loot system is encouraging people to treat these as disposable grind content. Alex Normal isn't quite that easy, and so it winds up really frustrating to DF for inifnity. If it was something like you just had to do it once a week, instead of over and over and over, I'm guessing people would be more up for the areas of challenge it provides.

im about to df a4 tonight. pray for me angary

Guess like,next month or so? Maybe September?

I thought 3.05 was being released in like 9-10 days? I thought Alex Savage was being released 2 weeks after Alex Normal?

3.01 is Alex Babby
3.05 is Alex Savage, so it should be dropping in two weeksish. Less than that, really.

I would expect 3.1 around Semptember/October.

I tried finding a time line or official statement and I got nothing. I hope its sooner rather than later. Abilities like Dark Dance leave me scratching my head.

Klyka

Banned
Fucking people asking to be midget cats and shit but where the fuck are the asses?

#Butts4Eorzea2015

1373557391396.png

I think for these the loot should be for you only. 2 items drop, you pick one, or none if you want a specific one. There's still some RNG, and as such people run it more than once if they want a specific part, but if the part they want drop, they're done for the week with that floor. There's 4 floors to farm, and it gets worse as the week progresses and more and more people got their stuff since there's no reason to queue again once you're done, and as you said you always roll against everyone(at least in DF, but even in PF most people running a floor still need a drop and you can only hope the farm PF doesn't disband/have 2people leaving every run) so your chances of getting something aren't very high the more you run it. You could run A4 50times and not get a single drop even if you're not specifically targetting one, which is terrible.

I think another way to fix it would be to have tokens. Every run, you get one token. Once you have say 5 tokens, you can trade them for the drop of your choice of that particular floor(so there's 4 tokens types, one per floor) and doing so puts you on lockout(and obviously you can't trade if you're already on lockout). At the end of the week, the tokens are wiped, so they don't carry over. This way, you know that at most, you're running the thing 5times. It might even help with the queues since people would be more prone to run it 5times to get their specific drop, rather than run it once, get lucky and then not have to run it that week anymore. It'd also be great if you're trying to farm for glamour, as otherwise, fuck getting 4 chest tokens, the RNG within RNG is terrible and you need it 4 times over a month period? Meanwhile you'll probably be able to get the esoterics chest for doing EXDR like 4times a week for 2 weeks.

As someone who spent three days trying to get Alex 4 down solo in the duty finder, I can say that it sucks.

My friends in statics either didn't wipe at all or wiped twice on the last boss before downing it. It's just not forgivable. One wrong move means dead healers.

Spoilers in case people want to go in completely blind:

Much like trying to do Ultima Weapon Hard in Duty Finder, people are just entirely too scared to soak the exploding orbs. That's the first thing that kills most parties I'm in. After that, it's healers and mages attempting to run away and or kite adds. After that, it's the healer debuff and them exploding in phase three, or, again, soaking orbs.

I've run into TANKS that are afraid to soak orbs. :(

WolvenOne

I actually agree with this. The loot system is certainly an improvement over the way CT/ST/WOD was set up, buuuuut requires some grinding to get the loot you want. That'd be fine, except that until you can face-roll the content DF's going to be really hit or miss, (and will lean towards miss as things go on.)

Increasing the number of drops would greatly alleviate this, reducing the amount you'll have to grind each turn to get what you want. Even three vs the current two, would go a LONG way towards reducing the number of successful runs your party would need to do to get everyone their drop.

As someone who spent three days trying to get Alex 4 down solo in the duty finder, I can say that it sucks.

My friends in statics either didn't wipe at all or wiped twice on the last boss before downing it. It's just not forgivable. One wrong move means dead healers.

Spoilers in case people want to go in completely blind:

Much like trying to do Ultima Weapon Hard in Duty Finder, people are just entirely too scared to soak the exploding orbs. That's the first thing that kills most parties I'm in. After that, it's healers and mages attempting to run away and or kite adds. After that, it's the healer debuff and them exploding in phase three, or, again, soaking orbs.

I've run into TANKS that are afraid to soak orbs. :(

To be fair, in most dungeons and such there isn't really many, "soaking damage," type mechanics. So for some players this is probably an entirely foreign concept. XD

Caode

A nice new sealed copy of A Realm Reborn, ready to finally delve in to it and join up with a lot of friends who play it.. but the fucking registration code is invalid for some fucking reason and now Square Enix customer support isn't available again until Monday morning. Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

:(

iammeiam

Even three vs the current two, would go a LONG way towards reducing the number of successful runs your party would need to do to get everyone their drop.

This right here is a massive problem to me, though. Alex Normal is supposed to be for people who don't have set groups--the loot system just doesn't support that, even with increased number of drops. They created casual content that you basically need a static to reliably get the rewards from, which is just insane. Fixing the loot system to make it easier for preformed parties doesn't really address that the rewards don't serve the people the content's supposed to be for.

A nice new sealed copy of A Realm Reborn, ready to finally delve in to it and join up with a lot of friends who play it.. but the fucking registration code is invalid for some fucking reason and now Square Enix customer support isn't available again until Monday morning. Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

:(

If you give me until tomorrow I can help ya out with a code for the collector's edition physical code if you want. I have an extra copy laying at my house but won't be home until then. It's only for A Realm Reborn though and not the combo with Heavensward

WolvenOne

This right here is a massive problem to me, though. Alex Normal is supposed to be for people who don't have set groups--the loot system just doesn't support that, even with increased number of drops. They created casual content that you basically need a static to reliably get the rewards from, which is just insane. Fixing the loot system to make it easier for preformed parties doesn't really address that the rewards don't serve the people the content's supposed to be for.

Okay, badly worded.

Three vs two drops, greatly increases the chance that you'll get the drop you need regardless if it's static or a pick-up group. Granted, it doesn't suddenly make DFing Alexander easier. DF is probably always going to be a bad fit for the later stages of Alexander. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, increasing the number of drop somewhat mitigates the problem, without actually nerfing the content.

Caode

If you give me until tomorrow I can help ya out with a code for the collector's edition physical code if you want. I have an extra copy laying at my house but won't be home until then. It's only for A Realm Reborn though and not the combo with Heavensward

EU or US? I'd need an EU code to activate it with the PSN here. Probably should've also mentioned it's PS4 and EU in that post. Thanks though for the offer, much appreciated!

I tried finding a time line or official statement and I got nothing. I hope its sooner rather than later. Abilities like Dark Dance leave me scratching my head.

Every time they have shown their launch timeline, they have shown savage alex/3.05 as being 4 weeks after launch, which is a week and a half from now. Nothing they have said suggests that it will be later than the approximate date they have given.

Every time they have shown their launch timeline, they have shown savage alex/3.05 as being 4 weeks after launch, which is a week and a half from now. Nothing they have said suggests that it will be later than the approximate date they have given.

If memory serves right they also said the expansion was supposed to release in May? When it comes to MMOs I never take the devs word for it when it comes to releasing content on time.

If memory serves right they also said the expansion was supposed to release in May? When it comes to MMOs I never take the devs word for it when it comes to releasing content on time.

Honestly not sure what else to say after they even showed the timeline again this morning and it still had 3.05 slated as 4 weeks after launch. People can choose to believe it or not if they want from there.

Allard

The difference is Alexander Savage was not delayed because the content wasn't ready, it was delayed because they decided stagger the release so players had more opportunities to get to max lvl without rushing. It will release in 1.5 weeks unless somehow they find some critical bug at the last second.

Stuart444

When is DF for Ex trials coming out? I would like to at least try them...

Then use party finder? Set up a learning party.

EX in DF won't come until new EX primals are released (so probably 3.1?) based on the way things went in 2.x series of patches.

Korezo

Then use party finder? Set up a learning party.

EX in DF won't come until new EX primals are released (so probably 3.1?) based on the way things went in 2.x series of patches.

Don't feel like waiting hours just to get a group, and party finder is full of terrible people just by reading descriptions. Rather DF. Guess I'll just lvl another class or maybe take a half year break again.

WolvenOne

Incidentally, it's occurred to me that as easy as Alexander Normal is for experienced raid groups, it's actually probably really good content for people with less raid experience. It teaches people some good if albeit basic lessons about things like positioning and such. (Or, don't be afraid to kite around enemies, to soak damage, etc.) Conversely though, it's a shame that there won't be any intermediate content for people that want to get into raiding because of this. I mean, if Savage is FCoB+ level difficult, that'll be a pretty darn steep jump for a lot of people. XD

Guess there's always extreme primals.

Top Bottom