• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Wagram

I agree that Dragoon might need something in the instances where it's difficult to keep BoTD up during specific face changes (such as in some Alex fights), but it absolutely doesn't need positional changes. That's user error, it's not difficult to do them at all.

Rising_Hei

To "fix" the Alexander loot issue

Make a Party Finder for a floor.
State as rule that "a minimum of 4 runs have to be done with no one leaving"
Remind this before the 1st kill starts and have everyone agree.

You might still find douches that leave when they get their drop, but atleast your odds are much better this way, and if you behave correctly and are polite, nice people will usually join your PF :)

Twookie

reading through some of the previous pages just now

am i wasting my time leveling an archer/bard?

sorry i'm a huge noob so i don't really know what classes does well and what they don't do well

Ken

You might still find douches that leave when they get their drop, but atleast your odds are much better this way, and if you behave correctly and are polite, nice people will usually join your PF :)

Ahahhahahahhaha.

Is there any way to get more inventory space or stash normal items somewhere? I'm constantly full and I'm such a hoarder since I don't know if I'll need the crafting materials later.

Ken

TaruFemale.jpg

Soma

I love replaying the Singularity Reactor and seeing newcomer's reactions when they realize who they're fighting.

So good.

Nohar

Well, Alexander's 1 to 3 floors were a breeze. A4? Yeah, this one actually requires people to be careful. Either you deal with the phases properly, either people will die rather quickly.

Also, loved A3's boss: Hello
Liquid Flame! Didn't see you since FFV (and FFRK too, I guess).

Squishy3

I love replaying the Singularity Reactor and seeing newcomer's reactions when they realize who they're fighting.

So good.
This is really asking for an avatar quote.

Planning to clear A4 tonight, so that should be fun. A3 was a fun fight.

Kenai

Incidentally, it's occurred to me that as easy as Alexander Normal is for experienced raid groups, it's actually probably really good content for people with less raid experience. It teaches people some good if albeit basic lessons about things like positioning and such. (Or, don't be afraid to kite around enemies, to soak damage, etc.) Conversely though, it's a shame that there won't be any intermediate content for people that want to get into raiding because of this. I mean, if Savage is FCoB+ level difficult, that'll be a pretty darn steep jump for a lot of people. XD

Guess there's always extreme primals.

Now that i have downed it I definitely like the difficulty overall. It's easy enough so one can go in new and expect to do well/clear at least the beginning with a static, but not so easy that there's no danger of wiping if you aren't doing mechanics right. It should be reasonably challenging for pugs lacking communication like Mumble to clear the whole thing worry free
- and + reminders, ball soaking, tethers ect
but it shouldn't be impossible to obtain either.

Angary is absolutely right that this type of loot system doesn't really work for pugs though. Maybe adding an extra piece of gear or so to the DF when it happens (3-4 parts total) would mean better chances at winning stuff if one does not go in as a full group? I dunno.

Anno

Man it's hard for me to keep one focus in this game. I always see some other person who looks cool or does a neat thing and I run off to start learning that class a bit. I guess I'm building up a nice little base of money and items at least, and it's a good excuse to explore the three starting areas.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
is their a popular class people do ? im kinder feeling a ranger is what i think il;l enjoy

there anyone on ultros i can contact about joining ^^ Angel Chay in game

Well, Alexander's 1 to 3 floors were a breeze. A4? Yeah, this one actually requires people to be careful. Either you deal with the phases properly, either people will die rather quickly.

Also, loved A3's boss: Hello
Liquid Flame! Didn't see you since FFV (and FFRK too, I guess).

watched a 60fps video of a3 and GODDAMN he can shake dat ass!

This is fairly common on my (JP) server

Stuart444

So just finished Neverreap and Fractal dungeons.

Neverreap: Easy dungeon but fuck that last boss, not hard, just annoying. Nice tank explained everything. (read up on it before hand but it's nice to have a reminder in the dungeon)

Fractal: things went well though the tank didn't explain the first boss but explained the other two. We also had a bard who was new.

Things went well until the last boss. Quite a number of wipes and even though the tank got hit by shit just as much as the rest of us, he went "it's not new anymore (after the 3rd or so wipe), get your shit together". Considering how much he got hit, I just said "you too" and said how he got hit so he went all "Well I'm running around trying to do the dps' (aka me and the bards) job, I'd feel pretty bad if I let a tank do my job"

And on the next wipe, he singled me out (I messed up due to fatigue honestly, by getting hit with the orange circle after the blue lit up panel bit. Not to mention the blue panel aoe is slightly larger than the panels so I got hit when I was sure I was off it) "Jade decided to find a little spot to take a nap" he said.

I just told him not to be a dick and we beat it on our next try. Funnily enough, on that try, he took more hits than me (I took none of the avoidable dmg) and the bard (who took one hit from the avoidable dmg).

Not trying to make excuses for my fuck ups since I admit I fucked up a few times but I hate it when someone decides they can criticize others and then get defensive when someone does the same thing to them. If you can't take it, don't dish it out to others.

Also if there is room for you to move, but not for me as a melee, please move the boss a little so I can hit the boss without getting cleaved or whatever that frontal move is :(.

Apart from that, I enjoyed the Fractal dungeon since I like the Allagan structure and aesthetic.

aceface

Doing Fractal last night as a fresh 60 (and having to buy i150 gear from the vendor to meet the level requirement) was the first time I haven't out-geared a dungeon in about a year and a half. It was a nice change, actually had to work for once to keep the tank up. Even ate my fairy a few times, it's a nice oh shit button.

So I have put off getting my Relic weapon forever, since I never felt like it. But I decided to do it and was not looking forward to grinding for the Atma, but I have gotten like 3 Atma in around 8ish fates. I thought the drop rate was like 2%? Did they up the drop rate or am I just insanely lucky today?

chrono01

That's the way chrono presented it, blame him!
Hmm, I did? I'm really curious as to where I said this. If that's how it came across then I apologize.

Was it this? [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171488372&postcount=7726]

What I meant to say, probably not clearly enough, was that I felt Yoshi-P was extending the amount of time refreshed after each duration but still with a reduction with each refresh. It won't be as drastic a cut as the second (and especially the third) refresh, so if you do your standard rotation during those properly you should have enough time to have three full Fire IV x2/Fire I x1 rotations, just in-time to use Enochian again and start the whole thing over.

Obviously, they wouldn't refresh the timer for Enochian to 30s with each Blizzard IV, that would be way too overpowered. There should still be a reduction.

Stuart444

Doing Fractal last night as a fresh 60 (and having to buy i150 gear from the vendor to meet the level requirement) was the first time I haven't out-geared a dungeon in about a year and a half. It was a nice change, actually had to work for once to keep the tank up. Even ate my fairy a few times, it's a nice oh shit button.

Me and alice were about ilvl 155ish but the bard was similar to you, fresh with white i150 gear and stuff. Like I said, it was fun mostly outside the last boss.

Also Another thing I admit to during the last boss in fractal is not keeping up Blood of the Dragon. After a few wipes, I started getting into the hang of keeping it up at least long enough for me to reapply it if it dropped. Helped a ton out on dmg during the latter attempts before we won. :D

Going to be a pattern I guess, get used to the fight so I can max my BotD uptime.

Kenai

Not trying to make excuses for my fuck ups since I admit I fucked up a few times but I hate it when someone decides they can criticize others and then get defensive when someone does the same thing to them. If you can't take it, don't dish it out to others.

No one likes people like this. I derped and my mouse battery power went poof while standing in one of the robo trash's aoe and of course I get one shotted by the clothsline. Tank immediately goes 'Um, heal?" when they are dying cause they didn't even noticed i had died and rezzed and was omw back.

Guess who got up to 4 stacks on the first boss and who stood in at least 3 mines on the final boss? That DRK. And guess who healed through all of it with no wipes on the 'weak" AST? :)

Speaking of which, i notice there's some AST buffs in the latest Live letter, Confirmed pretty much everything I thought was wrong with the class and not the 'oh the sky is falling' crap. Lightspeed boost, Collective changes, Shuffle useable outside of combat, and indirect buffs to Noct stance by making CDs play nicer with it including Celestial Opposition 9which i think is also being looked at, hope they lower the timer some). One or two other things but meh, those were what mattered to me for sure.

So I have put off getting my Relic weapon forever, since I never felt like it. But I decided to do it and was not looking forward to grinding for the Atma, but I have gotten like 3 Atma in around 8ish fates. I thought the drop rate was like 2%? Did they up the drop rate or am I just insanely lucky today?

They upped the drop rate several times. I think they may have upped it again for 3.0, bu haven't been up to date on it. I know they lowered the mob amount required for the books as well.

Stuart444

No one likes people like this. I derped and my mouse battery power went poof while standing in one of the robo trash's aoe and of course I get one shotted by the clothsline. Tank immediately goes 'Um, heal?" when they are dying cause they didn't even noticed i had died and rezzed and was omw back.

Guess who got up to 4 stacks on the first boss and who stood in at least 3 mines on the final boss? That DRK. And guess who healed through all of it with no wipes on the 'weak" AST? :)

Heh, mentioned this before but some tanks really don't notice things. Or don't care even if it wipes or causes issues for the party.

Still sounds like you're a good 'weak' AST if you healed that with no wipes haha. :)

Kenai

Heh, mentioned this before but some tanks really don't notice things. Or don't care even if it wipes or causes issues for the party.

Still sounds like you're a good 'weak' AST if you healed that with no wipes haha. :)

AST is fun, real fun. And all of the buffs i wanted are going to be put in place before Alex savage, I'm pretty happy. People really should just level what they want aesthetically cause SE is usually pretty good about addressing stuff post patch if there really is a problem, especially with no PTR. I hear Living Dead and a few other DRK things are being looked at too. Same with making Endowhatever on BLM more easy to use. Prolly other stuff i forgot

Also apparently Vanu Vanu dance in 3.1, which i am more hyped for than i thought possible.

Aeana

Speaking of which, i notice there's some AST buffs in the latest Live letter, Confirmed pretty much everything I thought was wrong with the class and not the 'oh the sky is falling' crap. Lightspeed boost, Collective changes, Shuffle useable outside of combat, and indirect buffs to Noct stance by making CDs play nicer with it including Celestial Opposition 9which i think is also being looked at, hope they lower the timer some). One or two other things but meh, those were what mattered to me for sure.

They upped the drop rate several times. I think they may have upped it again for 3.0, bu haven't been up to date on it. I know they lowered the mob amount required for the books as well.
I'm happy with the potential changes listed, but I'm still hopeful that they'll do something to make nocturnal sect more attractive/useful

I'm happy with the potential changes listed, but I'm still hopeful that they'll do something to make nocturnal sect more attractive/useful

Well if they made it so you could swap stances in combat, then that would make it attractive, since you could use it when it's useful and ditch it when it's not. Otherwise there isn't really a reason to use it unless you're grouped with another AST, since stuff doesn't stack because reasons. Shields aren't good on their own. The reason SCH is good isn't because it has shields, it's because it has shields+damage mitigation+fairy. They kinda missed the mark I feel on that stance, the regen one makes for a fairly decent copy of the WHM playstyle(minus actual good cooldowns like divine seal and benediction) but the shield one is a terrible copy of the SCH playstyle since it doesn't come with most of the SCH kit.

Anyway a lot of the changes sound nice enough. I wonder if they'll adjust cards and stuff too, there's a mention of it I think(making cards easier to use?) but not sure what's going to come out of it. By then though I'll probably be 60 on my SCH and won't bother with AST much more, SCH just feels much better to use imo.

I can understand if they want this game to be PVE focused. Maybe they should consider doing a player vs player as monster system rather than player vs player. They don't seem to care much or be good at doing the latter.

Or even go FFXI's route and do either Pankration (Pokemon) or play as a monster (which has PVP).

But maybe that's even harder to develop than normal PVP, lol.

Kenai

If they change Collective and Celestial to work better in Noct that *might* be enough, although I am not sure considering how it was worded. By now I am fairly sure they realize that extended card effects vs extended card effects + extended regen is a pretty big difference. Lightspeed will also be far more potent in Noct overall as well, assuming they make it good.

Well if they made it so you could swap stances in combat, then that would make it attractive, since you could use it when it's useful and ditch it when it's not. Otherwise there isn't really a reason to use it unless you're grouped with another AST, since stuff doesn't stack because reasons. Shields aren't good on their own. The reason SCH is good isn't because it has shields, it's because it has shields+damage mitigation+fairy. They kinda missed the mark I feel on that stance, the regen one makes for a fairly decent copy of the WHM playstyle(minus actual good cooldowns like divine seal and benediction) but the shield one is a terrible copy of the SCH playstyle since it doesn't come with most of the SCH kit.

Anyway a lot of the changes sound nice enough. I wonder if they'll adjust cards and stuff too, there's a mention of it I think(making cards easier to use?) but not sure what's going to come out of it. By then though I'll probably be 60 on my SCH and won't bother with AST much more, SCH just feels much better to use imo.

I actually think with Collective being good (hoping they mean they are drastically shortening the cd if they are talking about stance dancing) and Disable stacking with Virus (SMN is gud now you guiz) AST mitigation will actually be comparable, especially if they can save a Bole (much easier with out of combat Spread) in time for big tank hits. With extends they can easily get 30 seconds of -10%dmg taken on the tank, and that's without the actual extend card RR.

SCH will still have the godlike Adlo crits and plenty of healing options whether their mp is low or not, but AST's got some real assets now and if they cater their CDs to actually work well with Noct's current weaknesses in mind they probably should be fine. If they, for example, lowered the Collective CD to 30 secs (would be fair considering the downsides) that's another -10% for the party for a large amount of the encounter's big hits, and they have bigger healbombs than SCH and comparable to WHM in Noct with the passive healing bonus.

I don't see them allowing free stance switching in combat, not unless they want to change the entire class design. I don't think they will do that so soon after launch.

Kenai

What exactly do I need to do to unlock the high level roulette ?
K0T23NZ.jpg

All of those dungeons on that list you haven't done yet have a quest associated with them to unlock them and finish them. They all basically just have a quest to accept, a cs or two, then you can queue.

Completing them all will let you hldr.

Top Bottom