• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

fedexpeon

Banned
can confirm that after a week of running it with my static to get everyone their gear I am already sick of Alexander

please please please please please please please let the Savage fights be completely different. I can't take farming this and progressing through a Savage version of it

Probably be the same.
They will just add 1-2 mechanic...and it will be something like dodging from more AOE stuff.

can confirm that after a week of running it with my static to get everyone their gear I am already sick of Alexander

please please please please please please please let the Savage fights be completely different. I can't take farming this and progressing through a Savage version of it

edit: thought you were talking about loot rules. but it will probably be the same with new mechanics that requires you to be on the ball.

Rising_Hei

Probably be the same.
They will just add 1-2 mechanic...and it will be something like dodging from more AOE stuff.

It won't be that simple, starting with T9 they were overcomplicating things, each phase of coil t9 is a like a whole different boss with very different things to watch out for, i expect they will follow this route for alex savage

Tethers, links, "circles", more adds, more phases, more debuffs, more IN/OUT flags, more divebombs, more "meteorites" etc

As for EX @ DF, it's just bollocks, having DF for the 3 first Extremes helped people get experience for the first phases atleast, since they don't allow us when they're new, they make clears harder to get

What you want to do is the following:

A) leave sidequests.
B) always do your daily roulettes/hunting log
C) Just do the main story until you are actually too low level to continue it *

* if you are too low, do sidequests/dungeons/FATEs in the appropriate level zone and then continue the MSQ

This is how I have done it and it never steered me wrong.
I also have tons of sidequests left over for alt leveling.

Thanks for the response. It sounds like I'm doing the right thing completely by accident. I'm running the dungeons for bonus experience and sticking with story quests.

Where do levequests fit in? I've run several of them because they appear to be repeatable.

Xux

Thanks for the response. It sounds like I'm doing the right thing completely by accident. I'm running the dungeons for bonus experience and sticking with story quests.

Where do levequests fit in? I've run several of them because they appear to be repeatable.
Just filler inbetween dungeon queues. I usually do them while waiting for the queue to hit or to top off if you run out of story quests.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Battle levequest aren't really worth it, the exp payout is too low for the amount of time they take. Do them for the challenge log exp, otherwise use them to lv up your crafting/gathering classes if you're interested in that.

Veggy

While I have generally been enjoying the game, my main gripe with the game is the fact that you get punished for being a new player

The fact that you have to do 10 bajillion story quests when you hit lvl 50 before you can even THINK of going into HW is completely stupid, obviously its not as bad if you've been playing the game as they released those story patches, but as a new player coming into this my mind is having difficulty in understanding the logic behind this

The whole reason I started playing was to do endgame stuff with friends, I'm now severely delayed because of how backwards this all is

Ken

While I have generally been enjoying the game, my main gripe with the game is the fact that you get punished for being a new player

The fact that you have to do 10 bajillion story quests when you hit lvl 50 before you can even THINK of going into HW is completely stupid, obviously its not as bad if you've been playing the game as they released those story patches, but as a new player coming into this my mind is having difficulty in understanding the logic behind this

The whole reason I started playing was to do endgame stuff with friends, I'm now severely delayed because of how backwards this all is

You have a whole week then. Get to it.

Kenai

The 3 main reasons for doing so are seeing the story (which ties directly into the reason you are going to Ishguard, practicing your class at 50 (this matters less since there's a lot of 60 stuff to learn but it still matters) and getting your gear into an acceptable state for the expansion areas without having to pay.

I can understand wanting to get to endgame to play with other people, but i don't think this design is necessarily backwards, just different. Besides, you still have time.

Korezo

probably the last patch before 3.1.

when someone brings this up people always say "it's always been like that." but the truth is they let garuda, ifrit, and titan extreme into df DAY ONE of patch 2.1

i really wish they'd just open up ravana and bismark for df simply because of the 'hop in, hop out' nature. the thing that annoys me when using pf for new extreme content is when you join a learning party that fills up to 8/8 after 2 hours(gotta wait for those other learning parties to fill up amirite) and someone abrubtly rage quits after 10 minutes, causing a chain reaction.

i know df is filled with terrible players but i've gotten moogle, ramuh, and shiva cleared in duty finder. though it's probably because the majority of the community was still getting their ass whooped by Titan.

Yeah, I can't get bismark done because of no df, tried a damn pf today that was set up as learning and in the first 5 minutes of battle the party didn't bring down the fin in one shot so somebody just said not enough dps and everyone just quit. I'm telling you I hate the community for this game. The party finder has nastier people than I've met/seen than the DF.

Yeah, I can't get bismark done because of no df, tried a damn pf today that was set up as learning and in the first 5 minutes of battle the party didn't bring down the fin in one shot so somebody just said not enough dps and everyone just quit. I'm telling you I hate the community for this game. The party finder has nastier people than I've met/seen than the DF.

This isn't a wrong statement though, if you can't bring down the thing in one go, you're not finishing the fight. Generally good to give it a few tries in case people were off their game or whatever, but the fight is entirely about DPS being able to do x DPS, if they can't do that, then you're not killing the things in time to actually finish the fight. It's not like you can work it out by playing better or whatever, it's DPS checks and failling them cause wipes, that's basically most of the fight(the other part of the fight is doing the super simple mechanics in the last phase).

It'd be just as bad in DF, most likely, since you'd have people afk/asking to be kicked once they see people can't beat it, and you see that very fast on this fight since it starts right away by an easy DPS check. If you can't beat the easy check, you're not going to beat the harder ones right after.

Korezo

This isn't a wrong statement though, if you can't bring down the thing in one go, you're not finishing the fight. Generally good to give it a few tries in case people were off their game or whatever, but the fight is entirely about DPS being able to do x DPS, if they can't do that, then you're not killing the things in time to actually finish the fight. It's not like you can work it out by playing better or whatever, it's DPS checks and failling them cause wipes, that's basically most of the fight(the other part of the fight is doing the super simple mechanics in the last phase).

It'd be just as bad in DF, most likely, since you'd have people afk/asking to be kicked once they see people can't beat it, and you see that very fast on this fight since it starts right away by an easy DPS check. If you can't beat the easy check, you're not going to beat the harder ones right after.

Yeah but it was a learning party, didn't even give people a chance to adjust or do anything. I rather deal with DF, I rather try and fail than do nothing and wait hours for the same 0 progress.

Veggy

You have a whole week then. Get to it.

I'm near the end at least, after much boredom and waiting in 1 hour queue's as DPS (
Titan and Leviathan
took an hour each as DPS, most of the other bosses we're fine)

The 3 main reasons for doing so are seeing the story (which ties directly into the reason you are going to Ishguard, practicing your class at 50 (this matters less since there's a lot of 60 stuff to learn but it still matters) and getting your gear into an acceptable state for the expansion areas without having to pay.

I can understand wanting to get to endgame to play with other people, but i don't think this design is necessarily backwards, just different. Besides, you still have time.

Not everyone plays MMORPG's for the story though, and while I personally enjoyed most of the story (especially the stuff to do with the primals), some of it was extremely dull and made me lose interest such as
Anything to do with politics/Alphinaud

As for learning how to play your class at 50, it really doesn't take long at all especially with all the guides out there telling you the most optimum way to tank/heal/dps on your class, takes even less time if you come from an MMORPG background like I do and on my Dragoon it turned out I was doing the most optimum way of dpsing anyway when I finally went to check on a guide to see if I'm doing it right. I don't need to be stuck doing quests for almost a week at the same level to figure out how to dps

The other really annoying thing was the level gap in the story between lvl 46-49, you can't get to the next part of the story until you really grind it out with fates/dungeons for 3 whole levels, almost as bad as watching paint dry

As I said before, I have generally been enjoying the game, just certain design choices boggle my mind especially if your looking to get new players into the game

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've never even been in one where it was down in one go, and I've finished the fight several times.
Whoa, really? I don't think I've been in a party which wasn't able to destroy the first part in one go. I was sure that if a group fails to do this they won't make it in time during the last phase.

I've never even been in one where it was down in one go, and I've finished the fight several times.

I'm not sure how that makes sense considering the first DPS check is the easiest since you can pop all cooldowns and healers have 100% DPS time to help too, failling this check but then keeping up with the snakes and then killing the corona in 3 go while not being overrun by adds seems kinda curious to me. Still wouldn't change people's opinion in DF, the only thing DF would change is a few people might be more inclined to keep trying due to the penalty, and a few people would engage in toxic behaviour(afking/suiciding) because of the penalty also. The fight wouldn't get easier(though DF also means Echo a couple of weeks later, and Echo would do wonders on this fight).

X0CGEEa.jpg

HsOVnB9.jpg

I1P99lE.jpg

We in Balmung like to have fun.

*Normally the camera doesn't show up in PS4 screenshot its just there because its shows up afterward and I took a lot of shots.

Level 58 MNK, not going at breakneck speed but getting there. Finished the Vault and started Bismark Hard, and failed. First two times we wiped on the DPS check with the two serpents. Tanks didn't split them fast enough and we were split on attacking one over the other. Adds weren't going down very fast I've noticed. Me and a tank were taking one Venu add then I'd go over and finish the other two which were at least halfway dead but the others.

Last try we managed to get past the DPS check but were unable to down Bismark. Both tanks fell down fast and we were already down a healer so it was another wipe and we ended there. Three wipes, despite the vast improvement, and party disbanded. I felt I could still do better, I don't really parse, but I see my number is either a 2-3 on the threat list during the fight so it gives me some solace that I don't think I was that bad, but overall DPS was pretty low. I had moments where those whirlwinds stayed on top of adds so it hurt my DPS. I'm learning to adjust my rotation to these things at least. Good thing MNK has that flow.

My item level is 141, been a pain in the arse to get a wrist to replace the level 51 dungeon one. Did every side quest but to no avail. Seems most quests don't give out much right side accessories.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hit 60 Machinist today. Will probably use it in raids going forward until Bard gets a buff or whatever. As a side note, I really really like this outfit set from the Vault and rifle from the Library:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It really is a pain to do A4 with DF groups -_- Why don't some people watch a video or something before hopping in?

I reached ilevel 181 on my PLD (full vit) and also bought some strength accessories for dungeons and other stuff. Quite enjoyable. I'm thinking of leveling up a new job now.

Edit: It is really easy to destroy the Bismark extreme chitin in one try. If people fail that repeatedly there's no point in continuing, just a waste of time.

dcye

I mean in theory, sure, its possible. But if the dps is so low that you can't kill it iin one go then I'd be very surprised if they could down the snakes or finish the fight before losing the island. I've never been in a party that couldn't do it in one though so I can't say I have experience.

Sandfox

I've been taking a few days off after going at the game hard since the week before HW and I might start easing back into things by leveling a new job or something.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Any guides up for getting crafting and gathering jobs from 50 to 60 efficiently? I need to get on that soon. =S

Ken

Stomp, clink, clank, whirl, whizz, and crash!
We'll hack-back Uplander bash!
Whack, boom, clack, slam, bing, spin, and splash!
Not far-soon we smash and we dash!
Throw gobbiebombs, galore neckbreaks.
Again and again and again!
Go gobbiehands, galore endmakes.
The echo, the Unguest, the end!

Valor

Stomp, clink, clank, whirl, whizz, and crash!
We'll hack-back Uplander bash!
Whack, boom, clack, slam, bing, spin, and splash!
Not far-soon we smash and we dash!
Throw gobbiebombs, galore neckbreaks.
Again and again and again!
Go gobbiehands, galore endmakes.
The echo, the Unguest, the end!
Are you feeling okay?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Didn't think I would be able to grind up a Dark Knight fresh and finish Alexander during the first week after quitting before Ninja came out.

HW is pretty easy to progress in so far. Still need to down Biz and Rav EX to finish out the content.

BadRNG

It won't be that simple, starting with T9 they were overcomplicating things, each phase of coil t9 is a like a whole different boss with very different things to watch out for, i expect they will follow this route for alex savage
Did you do t10-13? They seemed to have learned from their mistakes in SCOB, FCOB was much better about that kind of thing. I'm hoping it follows that route.

WolvenOne

Did you do t10-13? They seemed to have learned from their mistakes in SCOB, FCOB was much better about that kind of thing. I'm hoping it follows that route.

Really, really, REALLY hope you're right about this. I actually, "enjoyed," FCoB when all was said and done. Where as I only kept on SCoB largely out of stubbornness, I didn't want to admit defeat.

:p

Rising_Hei

:eek: nah i didn't, after the set disbanded (before hunts were introduced) i decided i wouldn't do anything that requires a set party... that might explain why. If fights were much more cohesive in FCOB that's great

I think they'll have some additional mechanics in savage alex, but mostly the same fight.

A1 for example, most likely 4 beams per phase so you have to drag 1 robot per DPS and kill them there OR the dot they put on you does a lot more damage so you have to alternate which DPS gets the tether, potential tank swap mechanics, phase where the robots disapear will probably have more aoe in succession so you don't just run one way and be done with it, additional damage across the board, potential change on the prey missile thing(maybe have to stack with someone to split, maybe more complex with specific amount of people stack or stack with the other prey and such, which would make the adds placement part harder). They can just add entirely new mechanics too to the mix besides just changing some, like other adds spawning that also have to be ran in the pools but consume them, forcing you to do it in the right order.

Basically, what they did with Savage SCoB.

Think I'm done with Alexander.

Hopefully it'll be easier to farm esoterics. I'm not running each floor multiple times in duty finder. I don't have it in me.

Much easier on people in statics, I imagine.

WolvenOne

Think I'm done with Alexander.

Hopefully it'll be easier to farm esoterics. I'm not running each floor multiple times in duty finder. I don't have it in me.

Much easier on people in statics, I imagine.

Yeeeah, 1 and 2 I don't mind DF-ing, but 3 and 4 are going to be way too hit or miss for my taste. I really do hope they increase the number of drops, if only for the last few turns.

I actually do want to see people do these, people that normally shy away from real challenges.

WolvenOne

Honestly 4 is the only one I frequently have groups fail on. The other 3 my duty finder groups eventually pull it off.

I've seen groups fail A1, thankfully I got my drops in A2 and A3 in GARF and my static respectively.

Big thanks again to the GAFers I've ran with. C:

PS: I think A2 Savage is the one I'm going to like the least. I think that one is going to end up having a very strict pull/split order, and I wouldn't be surprised if DPS classes had to do some tanking to keep debuffs from stacking.

Even the normal version of the fight feels like a slog. :p

Top Bottom