• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Oldsql

So, after changing to a new job (Rogue) how important it is to buy gear for the level?

Since I am finding killing mobs more difficult than I did at same level with archer.

You get some gear for the class when doing the class quest, get them randomly from leves or buy them at the vendor in the beginning. Or you start in a new area and do the quest that you didn't do before.

II *think* I just signed up my character at the GAF guildwork. Now what? Maybe someone can hit me up in-game. I'm hanging around at Bentbranch Meadows, level 11 Lancer so don't have a lot of travel abilities yet.

In-game name is Kahran Leah.

Quoting myself so this doesn't get lost on the previous page ^^'

suzu

♦ I'm new, what should I be focusing on? How do I gain more levels?

Definitely keep up with the main story quests (MSQ) and class quests! The main story quest icons (an exclamation point engulfed in fire) will look different from the side quest icons.

Check this link for a dictionary of all icons. || This beginner's guide is a bit old but, it's still pretty relevant.

For leveling battle classes you can do: FATEs, guildleves / levequests, hunting log, challenge log, queue for dungeons & guildhests, daily duty roulette: low level, and daily beastmen quests (starting at Lv41).
For leveling crafting & gathering classes: focus on multiple turn-ins or courier levequests, the challenge log, grand company provisions, and the daily Ixali beastmen quests.
The consensus is to not make crafting and gathering classes a priority before you hit max level on a battle class though for reasons explained here.

♦ So when can I switch classes, get my own chocobo mount, unlock more dungeons, hire retainers, etc.?

Check this list of what/when content is unlocked. Most content will become available as you complete the main story quests. You can switch classes at Lv10 and get a chocobo mount at Lv20.​

♦ See also the Recruit a Friend Campaign: [NA] [EU] Feel free to ask in this thread for a referral code.
You are eligible if you're new or playing the free 14-day trial, or currently on your first 30 free days with no subscription time paid yet.​

I might be alone in this/nitpicker but I think most names of both people and locations are pretty bad in XIV. They don't really stick with you. In Warcraft they usually are very tropey fantasy names but they are super easy to remember. In XIV I feel like every other character/place is named Glu'sdinia, Bara'gunil or Gh'lindo'dasgu.

The world building is far below any other FF I have played thus far. We shall see.

I might be alone in this/nitpicker but I think most names of both people and locations are pretty bad in XIV. They don't really stick with you. In Warcraft they usually are very tropey fantasy names but they are super easy to remember. In XIV I feel like every other character/place is named Glu'sdinia, Bara'gunil or Gh'lindo'dasgu.

The world building is far below any other FF I have played thus far. We shall see.
I've never seen someone state a more wrong opinion about FFXIV's world building.

In fact they are EXTREMELY consistent with their world building in this game. Seems more like you simply don't like their brand of world building.

image.php

I've never seen someone state a more wrong opinion about FFXIV's world building.

In fact they are EXTREMELY consistent with their world building in this game. Seems more like you simply don't like their brand of world building.

Maybe it's just to do with the MMO structure.

Since I'm on a wrong opinion roll here: I don't like how everyone in XIV is pretty. There are no old people either, only young people with gray facial hair :lol. Where are dem wrinkles and shit? The best I could do for my character was white facial hair and bald crown but he still looks like he is in his 40's!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm trying to remember where the "h" goes in Roban's name. Is it Raubahn or Raubhan.

What about Papalynomonomo? At least Yda is 3 letters.

I kind of pity Merlywb (?). I don't know why her parents begrudged her vowels.

I admit many names in the game are extremely hard to pronounce.

like I know the name generator runs by certain rules based on the race in question's lore, but holy shit Mi'qote have some of the fucking hardest names to say.

Haly

To this day I still don't know what her job is or what she's good for.

She's like one of those people credited as "Executive Producer" in movies only because investors want to get the name involved.

Joking aside, i'm with you on the names. I couldn't tell you anyone's name let alone spell them, but when they are mentioned I know who they are so I am able to follow the story. It doesn't feel out of place for a Final Fantasy game so it's not that big of a deal to me.

LegatoB

No, seriously, does anyone actually like the Scions? They're all dumb idiots.

I was really happy I got to spend most of Heavensward hanging out with interesting characters like Dragoon Who's As Mad About Moogles As I Was By The End, Iceheart, and my #1 Bro, Haurchefant.

Haly

Pretty Boy whose name I can't remember: Shit
Y'shtolla (?): Cute catgirl but kind of a jobber
Yda: Boss
Alphinaud: Jobber
Papalymo: Boss
Minfillia: Jobber
Alissene (?): The better jobber twin

2 out of 7 isn't bad.

(It's terrible.)

I was really happy I got to spend most of Heavensward hanging out with interesting characters like Dragoon Who's As Mad About Moogles As I Was By The End, Iceheart, and my #1 Bro, Haurchefant.
Tataru, Y'shtola and Minfilia are cool with me.

Alphinaud is jobber and the fucking worst though. Just gives me more reason to dislike the giraffe people more.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Beat the Heavensward story last night. The ending was sort of shitty. Also, I've noticed that Ascians just make the story just downright terrible. I hate their inclusion into everything. If they removed the Ascians as a whole it'd be totally inconsequential and it feels like their inclusion is to just say "oh yeah we're the bad guys and we're totally making shit worse LOL." Ugh. How shoehorned can you get. Other than that, loved the story. The Ishgardian tales were awesome and I really enjoyed how this actually felt like a journey with a band of misfits trying to save Ishgardians. Oh yeah, the main conflict of the war? Yeah...
That never got resolved. Talk about shit.

suzu

Nobody remembers Urianger even though he had the best english VA (before HW) and the worse dialogue.

Yda is cute. Thancred is cute. Alphinaud is ok. Tataru is da best.

But yeah, Heavensward did a better job with your npc pals though.

♦ See also the Recruit a Friend Campaign: [NA] [EU] Feel free to ask in this thread for a referral code.
You are eligible if you're new or playing the free 14-day trial, or currently on your first 30 free days with no subscription time paid yet.​

I just started up thursday if someone wants to explain this to me

LegatoB

Actually, yeah, y'all are right, Tataru's OK. Someone's gotta keep the books while everyone else is off, uh, not helping while the Warrior of Light goes and kills like nearly a dozen angry gods.

Beat the Heavensward story last night. The ending was sort of shitty. Also, I've noticed that Ascians just make the story just downright terrible. I hate their inclusion into everything. If they removed the Ascians as a whole it'd be totally inconsequential and it feels like their inclusion is to just say "oh yeah we're the bad guys and we're totally making shit worse LOL." Ugh. How shoehorned can you get. Other than that, loved the story. The Ishgardian tales were awesome and I really enjoyed how this actually felt like a journey with a band of misfits trying to save Ishgardians. Oh yeah, the main conflict of the war? Yeah...
Not a fan of the Ascians, either, but the part that really bugged me about the end of 3.0's story was
how they couldn't seem to decide on a tone considering the "twist" at the end with Estinian. The music is all super triumphant and shit because WE DID IT WE KILLED THE POPE, but one of our most important surviving allies just got turned into a host for the dragon who really hates us that we didn't quite kill after all. Isn't anyone worried about this? Or maybe a little upset that he's MIA? Like, c'mon!

Well didn't help Hraesvelgr is now at full power and still hates the humans with a passion and Nidhogg was revived. But you seem to be forgetting Midgardsormr's words about if the human truly wanted peace, it isn't going to be resolved anywhere in the near future.

kayos90

Actually, yeah, y'all are right, Tataru's OK. Someone's gotta keep the books while everyone else is off, uh, not helping while the Warrior of Light goes and kills like nearly a dozen angry gods.

Not a fan of the Ascians, either, but the part that really bugged me about the end of 3.0's story was
how they couldn't seem to decide on a tone considering the "twist" at the end with Estinian. The music is all super triumphant and shit because WE DID IT WE KILLED THE POPE, but one of our most important surviving allies just got turned into a host for the dragon who really hates us that we didn't quite kill after all. Isn't anyone worried about this? Or maybe a little upset that he's MIA? Like, c'mon!

The problem with this is that they're trying to entice players to be excited for the subsequent story-based patches while trying to conclusively end the 3.0 storyline. In all honesty, they shouldn't have chosen the middle road. Either end it conclusively and build on the small plot threads that were left open or just leave nothing resolved. It's pretty bullshit imo.

Well didn't help Hraesvelgr is now at full power and still hates the humans with a passion and Nidhogg was revived. But you seem to be forgetting Midgardsormr's words about if the human truly wanted peace, it isn't going to be resolved anywhere in the near future.

This part annoyed me the most. Thanks for the entire journey? lol

Also,
Ysale got jobbered. Fuck that. Her showing up at Azys Lla is totally Deus Ex Machina. Like what the fuck?

suzu

I just started up thursday if someone wants to explain this to me

As it says on that page, you get free goodies when you pay for a subscription, for using a recruit-a-friend code (by registering it in Mog Station).

Here's a Recruitment Code if you need one: DNMEKX8N

The problem with this is that they're trying to entice players to be excited for the subsequent story-based patches while trying to conclusively end the 3.0 storyline. In all honesty, they shouldn't have chosen the middle road. Either end it conclusively and build on the small plot threads that were left open or just leave nothing resolved. It's pretty bullshit imo.

This part annoyed me the most. Thanks for the entire journey? lol

Also,
Ysale got jobbered. Fuck that. Her showing up at Azys Lla is totally Deus Ex Machina. Like what the fuck?
But she looked good getting clobbered like that....again. That counts for something right?

kayos90

But she looked good getting clobbered like that....again. That counts for something right?

No. Cuz
She didn't even get a monument in the end. She tried so much yet Haucherfaunt is the only one who gets recognition.
UGH. Whatever.

No. Cuz
She didn't even get a monument in the end. She tried so much yet Haucherfaunt is the only one who gets recognition.
UGH. Whatever.
People who go out and get wrecked by the fucking Imperials don't get monuments. Haucherfaunt was taken out by effectively one of the Knights of the Round. That deserves respect.

df step of faith just killed my will to play

how do you get to 50+ and then ask how to use cannons
It is actually easier than it used to be. Still causes rage though.

aceface

No. Cuz
UGH. Whatever.

HW Ending spoiler
I don't think she's really dead, she's a primal an primals never really die. You still have to be able to challenge them through DF

as for Estinien, they have to leave us something to do through the 3.x story patches. It seems like Hsverlagerwhatever is on our side now and Midgardsormr. Also we got rid of the evil church and Ishgard is totally on our side now. So it's not like nothing got accomplished. I want to save Estinien he was a bro.

Teknoman

Depends on how far you are. Once you've been around long enough, the stuff sticks.

df step of faith just killed my will to play

how do you get to 50+ and then ask how to use cannons

Maybe they were never on cannon duty ever?

Nobody remembers Urianger even though he had the best english VA (before HW) and the worse dialogue.

Yda is cute. Thancred is cute. Alphinaud is ok. Tataru is da best.

But yeah, Heavensward did a better job with your npc pals though.

Everyone remembers Urianger. And yeah Heavensward main story npcs feel more like those you'd see in a regular fantasy focused...err final fantasy.

Top Bottom