• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Alucrid

Banned
Depends on how far you are. Once you've been around long enough, the stuff sticks.

Maybe they were never on cannon duty ever?

there are tons of instances before this duty that require you to use cannons. some dungeons (i.e. prae) and even some quests iirc. so i don't see how anyone could never have used them

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
HW Ending spoiler
I don't think she's really dead, she's a primal an primals never really die. You still have to be able to challenge them through DF

as for Estinien, they have to leave us something to do through the 3.x story patches. It seems like Hsverlagerwhatever is on our side now and Midgardsormr. Also we got rid of the evil church and Ishgard is totally on our side now. So it's not like nothing got accomplished. I want to save Estinien he was a bro.

Estinien was an ass.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He fell in with the wrong crowd and get hooked on dragon blood.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Think I've decided on Archer -> Bard. I'd like to make a White Mage a main but without having someone to level with I feel like it'd be a crushing grind. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think the opposite is true. Conjurers get an offensive stance and do solid damage. I'm going paladin, and getting conjurer to 15 was much smoother than gladiator to 26 so far.

I get instant dungeon queues on both, so that's a plus.

Audioboxer

Joined a grand company. I'm level 24 and trying to get chocobo access. Need to grind out some seals.

Went to camp drybone to do company leves and Kikiri says "no company levels for you" and something to do with the adventurers guild not giving a seal of approval.

Any clues what I haven't done yet? I'm on the main quest Slyph-Management.

Cheers

Squishy3

Joined a grand company. I'm level 24 and trying to get chocobo access. Need to grind out some seals.

Went to camp drybone to do company leves and Kikiri says "no company levels for you" and something to do with the adventurers guild not giving a seal of approval.

Cheers
It's been so long I don't remember but I just did the GC hunting log and FATEs to get the 2,000 seals needed for my chocobo.

df step of faith just killed my will to play

how do you get to 50+ and then ask how to use cannons

Unfortunately, there are hundreds if not thousands of people who have hit or will hit 50 without ever flicking switches or figuring out even simple mechanics for themselves

I see more and more daily

fedexpeon

Banned

Cheers

It takes like 30mins doing fate to get your chocobo.
Just kill 3-6 enemies at a fate spot, fail it by going onto the next one or grind your hunt log and quests.
The only time you want to stay the whole 5mins doing a fate is when you don't have anything to do or when there is another gullible person helping out with the fate.

Audioboxer

It takes like 30mins doing fate to get your chocobo.
Just kill 3-6 enemies at a fate spot, fail it by going onto the next one or grind your hunt log and quests.
The only time you want to stay the whole 5mins doing a fate is when you don't have anything to do or when there is another gullible person helping out with the fate.

Thanks guys, think I figured it out.

Didn't do some level 10 crab leve near the beginning of the game. It seems to have been the official tutorial to unlock them.

Klyka

Banned
Really happy with the look I have going on for my Au-Ra Ninja.

This is basically how I've been running around for ages now and I love it!
Have been keeping up the glamour and dye and it all fits together SO well and looked great in all the cutscenes!

e9p7q7w.jpg

Kenai

Not everyone plays MMORPG's for the story though, and while I personally enjoyed most of the story (especially the stuff to do with the primals), some of it was extremely dull and made me lose interest such as
Anything to do with politics/Alphinaud

As for learning how to play your class at 50, it really doesn't take long at all especially with all the guides out there telling you the most optimum way to tank/heal/dps on your class, takes even less time if you come from an MMORPG background like I do and on my Dragoon it turned out I was doing the most optimum way of dpsing anyway when I finally went to check on a guide to see if I'm doing it right. I don't need to be stuck doing quests for almost a week at the same level to figure out how to dps

The other really annoying thing was the level gap in the story between lvl 46-49, you can't get to the next part of the story until you really grind it out with fates/dungeons for 3 whole levels, almost as bad as watching paint dry

As I said before, I have generally been enjoying the game, just certain design choices boggle my mind especially if your looking to get new players into the game

I understand that you may or may not be interested in the story, but for better or worse they are proud of it and want you to see it so they built the game around you doing it. It's why so much basic game functionality revolves around completing it, not just raiding but everything from chocobo mounts and retainers to airship riding. That and to be frank if you are only interested in endgame raiding and nothing else, there are much meatier games than this one (I played WoW for many years). Thankfully there are plenty of other activities (that again, may or may not interest you). I recently took up fishing again. Holy crap at needing GP.

Thankfully, if one of your friends is a tank or healer queuing with them makes it way faster, and of course they can pt up with you for most DFs.

As for class learning...as many on here may mention how ez mode something may be, all they need to do is go into a random pug to tell you that is not the case for a lot of people with a lot of the content. Things like statics and GAF help night exist for a reason, and it's only been a few weeks. Making the exp to 60 even faster would mean even less people know what they are doing than now. (Also, tbh, although it is VERY much a grind, it is still a themepark style grind, so it's pretty forgiving really). The devs can't assume you do or don't know what you are doing, it tends to end up worse than now otherwise.

I won't pretend the system is perfect, don't get me wrong, but after leveling through WotLK and being subjected to the Death Knight plague of that time (although I think FFXIV has a better general playerbase) I simply don't want to see that again. Maybe in a few expansions when the grind feels worse than now they will allow more skipping, or homogenize the 2.0 padding (titan fetch quests) or something.

aceface

the dude was a massive jerkwad during the DRG questline and he's still an ass in Heavensward to the surprise of no one. Meh.

Don't know about the DRG quests, but how is he an ass in HW?
He obviously has a hardon for killing dragons but they killed his family so understandable. Yet he still goes along with Ysale's happy go lucky doomed to failure "let's all be friends" quest. I respect him for if nothing else calling out Ysale and Alphinaud on their quest's dumbness. Then after that he's like "ok we tried it your way IT'S DRAGON KILLING TIME." And then he spends the whole rest of the game drenched in dragon blood showing up whenever you need help. Yeah he derped at the end but we'll save him cause he's a true bro

the dude was a massive jerkwad during the DRG questline and he's still an ass in Heavensward to the surprise of no one. Meh.

Problem is that Estinien was created in the DRG quest specifically to be an antagonist. So of course he was an ass, just like Widdargelt in the MNK line, Karasu in the NIN line, so on and so forth.

In the HW story when they decided to make him a central focus (because how the heck do you do a story about dragons in Ishgard without the Azure Dragoon), I think they did a very good job of making him way more grounded. And at least he's never an ass to your character, he's always trolling Ysayle (who needed to be trolled because she was being dumb about things like fighting dragons even in self defense) and Alphinaud (for comic value). He even reflects on how
he treats dragons when you all find out that they once were buddies, and wants to stop the war to prevent future situations like his.
Only time he really comes off as unnecessarily harsh to me is when he speaks to you and (story spoiler)
Y'shtola
near the end of the plot where they were setting up for the future story arc.

Bond007

So any FFXI players here make the transition to XIV?

I played XI for about 7yrs with multiple jobs at cap and it probably will go down as my favorite game of all time. I did the beta for XIV and it felt nothing like XI....so naturally i decided to skip it.

Fast forward to today and i saw XIV for $20 and decided to take the scary plunge of potentially getting back into a consuming FF MMO. It "Looks" like an upgraded XI on the surface but i know gameplay is very different.
Is there any hope for an old XI veteran.....will i be able to adjust enough to give this game a fair chance? lol thx

JudgeN

I played XI for about 7yrs with multiple jobs at cap and it probably will go down as my favorite game of all time. I did the beta for XIV and it felt nothing like XI....so naturally i decided to skip it.

Fast forward to today and i saw XIV for $20 and decided to take the scary plunge of potentially getting back into a consuming FF MMO. It "Looks" like an upgraded XI on the surface but i know gameplay is very different.
Is there any hope for an old XI veteran.....will i be able to adjust enough to give this game a fair chance? lol thx

Real talk, if your hardcore FFXI vet and you enjoyed it's gameplay this game isn't for you as it's nothing like ffxi. You will enjoy it for a couple of months and quit due to gear being meaningless and lacking in variety. Very small amount of content you have to spam for little reward.

Tabris

Real talk, if your hardcore FFXI vet and you enjoyed it's gameplay this game isn't for you as it's nothing like ffxi. You will enjoy it for a couple of months and quit due to gear being meaningless and lacking in variety. Very small amount of content you have to spam for little reward.

I don't agree with that. Yes, that's the issue with FFXIV but FFXIV also does a lot of things right so you can enjoy part of the game while being disappointed with the other. I'm hoping they add more horizontal content though to get out of the rut described above.

rubius01

Its nothing like FFXI

HW Ending spoiler
I don't think she's really dead, she's a primal an primals never really die. You still have to be able to challenge them through DF

as for Estinien, they have to leave us something to do through the 3.x story patches. It seems like Hsverlagerwhatever is on our side now and Midgardsormr. Also we got rid of the evil church and Ishgard is totally on our side now. So it's not like nothing got accomplished. I want to save Estinien he was a bro.

She summoned a primal using her body as a catalyst/host. She's not Shiva herself. Also, primal summoning doesn't produce the original being, just a manifestation modified by the thoughts of those responsible for the summoning.

That's why King Thordan was 3 times your height instead of a normal height Elezen. The exaggerated beliefs in his legends resulted in the large form you see in Singularity Reactor. King Thordan himself is long dead.

aceface

She summoned a primal using her body as a catalyst/host. She's not Shiva herself. Also, primal summoning doesn't produce the original being, just a manifestation modified by the thoughts of those responsible for the summoning.

That's why King Thordan was 3 times your height instead of a normal height Elezen. The exaggerated beliefs in his legends resulted in the large form you see in Singularity Reactor. King Thordan himself is long dead.

yeah I know. when I said "primals never die" it was tounge in cheek in the sense that they always seem to come back, get resummoned etc. I still don't think she's dead, if she were the game would have made a bigger deal of it. Maybe a dragon caught her or something. Just my feeling.

Ferr986

So I just did the broom quests.... people complained about them? seriously? like... people here forgot what is to read already?

So if I understand this Armory Bonus thing:

Anytime I play a job that is lower than my highest level job I get a bonus from killing mobs and doing FATE. Correct?

Lol whut

I played XI for 7 years and I love XIV, obviously for different reasons. If you're the kind of "XI vet" who was obsessed with equipping specific pieces of gear in each macro for every action and camping HNMs/ZNMs for hours, or only partying with specific jobs, then maybe you'll be dissatisfied with the "lack of content"

yeah I know. when I said "primals never die" it was tounge in cheek in the sense that they always seem to come back, get resummoned etc. I still don't think she's dead, if she were the game would have made a bigger deal of it. Maybe a dragon caught her or something. Just my feeling.

Unless one can reconstruct her body and soul from the blue aether she shattered into, I think Ysayle as we knew her is gone for good unless Hydaelyn straight up resurrects her because she was one of the Chosen like the WoL.

Top Bottom