• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

I am so overwhelmed by this game I just don't know where to begin or start and it's really putting me off from playing it. I like it but feels like I'm missing out on so many things. I'd appreciate if someone can help me on the below questions. I'm on ps4.

I'm level 25 archer but haven't got a mount because I have no idea how to get one? Should I carry on with main story or level up crafting and sub class?
I don't really know what else to do in the game other than do the main quest or level your sub class?

I don't know what a grand company is but keep seeing them?

What are seals and what do you do with them? Where do you get them?

About crafting. How are you supposed to know what crafting profession is good for my class? Do I just level all of them? Is crafting even worth doing? I'm a bit of a trophy whore so Im interested in those crafting trophies though lol.

I've levelled a pugilist to level 8 as my sub class because you need to for a bard apparently but why am I repeating hunting quests again? Also when I hand a quest in for archer can I not just switch to pugilist and get the 4k quest xp for this class instead before I talk to the quest completer?

When you enter a new area how do you go about logging the new monsters? Most of the time they don't log at all after defeating them.

I'm getting confused with guild leves, battle leves and the other leves. Not sure what the point is and for some reason only battle leves are only ever available.

I am skipping a lot of the text with quest givers because the text and the way it's written is a chore to read with its dialect almost like I have to decipher what they're saying... and it goes on and on and simply isn't very interesting anyway. Is this normal? The localisation is great but it's hard to read and figure out what they're even talking about. I feel like I'm missing out by skipping it and just reading the quick summary afterwards but the stuff they say is dull. I have no idea what's going on in the main story and I didn't skip thise cutscenes, this is supposed to have a decent campaign? I dont see it.

What are the most useful skills with the archer and what skills should I be using in a typical battle? And what complimentary skills from other classes?

I have a company chest with a lot of items and also a armoire and a retainer. I don't really know where I should be depositing items into?

Speaking of items I have all sorts of stuff in my inventory. Should I sell most of my equipment that I no longer use and food and other items or keep them for breaking down into materials?

I have these minions from letters I got sent be Squenix but don't really see the point. Do they do anything in battle? Do they turn into mounts if you feed them?

Exploration doesn't seem to yield anything and is unrewarding. The areas are large but have zero loot to discover or places to mine. You don't find caves, hidden stashes or chests. what is the point of exploring? All I find is more mobs. There is no incentive to explore as the only items you get are from quests rewards. Am I missing something?

I am finding it more difficult than I should when figuring out where to go for a quest. It's a chore. I use the map which is downright awful. It's so frustrating to actually figure out. It's so unintuitive and doesn't help me at all. Especially when a quest is located in another area entirely. There's layers of different maps within one area and they are labelled strangely where the area names on the maps isn't exactly where you should be going as there can be three area names close to each other on the map making it confusing. Also the zooming out function of the map makes things even worse. Sometimes it shows I'm in the middle of the ocean on the maps for one reason. They are so vague and useless.

I really do want to like this game as I can see a good game underneath it all but it goes out if its way to make everything as unintuitive as possible or poorly explained and expects you to know everything straight away. I'm level 25 but feel like I still haven't got to grips with its features and mechanics and things you can do.

In comparison I played ESO and it's like 10x easier to get into with its controls, easy menus, battles, maps and easy to understand explanations, levelling battle skills is fun and easy. Finding sky shards is cool and encourages exploration - there's plenty of mining and looting and caves and dungeons compared to FFXIV. Everything is so much clearer but there's something missing from it this game has. ESO has no charm or soul whereas this game has its own uniqueness with its settings, creatures etc but it's so damn complicated or obtuse.

How serious is it to have Gauss Barrel on full time? I just hit level 52 and I can honestly say I fucking hate it already. I finally get why people are bitching so much. Other than that MCH is a blast to play as long as I don't use GB.

IvorB

I am so overwhelmed by this game I just don't know where to begin or start and it's really putting me off from playing it. I like it but feels like I'm missing out on so many things. I'd appreciate if someone can help me on the below questions. I'm on ps4.

In comparison I played ESO and it's like 10x easier to get into with its controls, easy menus, battles, maps and easy to understand explanations, levelling battle skills is fun and easy. Finding sky shards is cool and encourages exploration - there's plenty of mining and looting and caves and dungeons compared to FFXIV. Everything is so much clearer but there's something missing from it this game has. ESO has no charm or soul whereas this game has its own uniqueness with its settings, creatures etc but it's so damn complicated or obtuse.

Are you reading the active help? Honestly this game is pretty good at explaining everything that crops up through the help window that pops up periodically. You really do need to read all that info if you want to understand everything.

Do the dungeons get better later on? I have completed the first three and it is trash mob after trash mob after trash mob. Coming from The Secret World (whose dungeons feature very little trash mobs) I am having a really hard time getting excited for more dungeons if this is the standard.

Rising_Hei

Do the dungeons get better later on? I have completed the first three and it is trash mob after trash mob after trash mob. Coming from The Secret World (whose dungeons feature very little trash mobs) I am having a really hard time getting excited for more dungeons if this is the standard.

Earlier dungeons are really boring, there are some dungeons you'll love between 30 and 49

WALL OF TEXT

Just keep doing the main quest. Joining a Grand Company is mandatory. You don't get your chocobo until after you join the Grand Company.

Every class has a different set of hunting logs, which are very useful for gaining exp quickly. The leves are just repeatable sidequests which you can do to farm exp (as long as you have allowances).

If in doubt, just do the main quest.

If you never need help figuring out where to go, pull up the journal and click on the map button. It will show you exactly where you need to go. You can then highlight the yellow icon to zoom into exactly which area it's in. Unless you're really short on money (you shouldn't be), just teleport to different places.

Redx508

So i was healing a low lv roulette and this was my chat the james guy had the new icon
eA9bvKM.jpg

I'm level 25 archer but haven't got a mount because I have no idea how to get one?

You get one once you become part of a Grand Company during the main story quests. After you join one of them, you can buy a chocobo permit with GC seals, prettysure it's a quest, though it's been a while.

Should I carry on with main story or level up crafting and sub class?

That's up to you. You should absolutely do the main story when you're lvling but other than that, what you do is up to you. Sub classes can be nice for some quick cross class skills, for example Pugilist will give you a nice crit cooldown at lvl 12, but it's not like super high priority for archer. You will have to lvl Pugilist to 15 to become a Bard once you're lvl 30 however.

I don't really know what else to do in the game other than do the main quest or level your sub class?

In terms of activities, it's mostly going to come down to leveling stuff. Leveling alt classes, or crafting classes, or gathering classes. You can run dungeons for glamour(armor you want for the appearance rather than the stats), minions(non combat pets) and mounts(mostly extreme primal fights at 50). You can play Triple Triad or Chocobo Racing at the Gold Saucer. There's a bunch of other smaller stuff you can do that aren't really full activities like treasure maps, hunts, retainer ventures and such, you'll unlock them as you go.

I don't know what a grand company is but keep seeing them?

They're just basically a faction. You join one and you can get seals for them that buy you leveling gear or various items(housing stuff, consumables and such). They also have a hunting log you want to complete as it provides some xp and unlocks higher level features of the GC. They provide daily quests for crafters/gatherers as well as hunt related stuff, so make sure you keep doing GC hunting log stuff. Finally they also have their own leves in some of the zones.

What are seals and what do you do with them? Where do you get them?

You get seals from doing FATEs after you join a GC, from completing the GC hunting log, from completing GC leves(bonus for your own GC ones but you can do any of them) or from turning in pink/green items that you don't need(like stuff you greed in dungeons and such) at the GC NPC. Also guildhests roulettes and probably a few minor ways I've forgotten. The seals buy you a bunch of stuff as I explained before, the vendor is at your GC build, in the major city.

About crafting. How are you supposed to know what crafting profession is good for my class? Do I just level all of them? Is crafting even worth doing? I'm a bit of a trophy whore so Im interested in those crafting trophies though lol.

Crafting is its own thing, it's not necessary or even useful in most cases, but it's a good way to make money, eventually. Realistically the answer to what you should level is everything. At least you want everything at 15, then you can see if you like crafting or not. It's done entirely using cheap vendor items at first so you can give it a try. As for your class, Carpenter for bows, Leatherworker for Discipline of War armor(for the most part, some are Weaver), Goldsmithing for accessories. I'd recommend getting one of them to 15 and see if you like it, if you don't, just do it later for the trophy or whatever, if you do well, prepare for hell. Google up some crafting leveling guides to see how it all works.

I've levelled a pugilist to level 8 as my sub class because you need to for a bard apparently but why am I repeating hunting quests again? Also when I hand a quest in for archer can I not just switch to pugilist and get the 4k quest xp for this class instead before I talk to the quest completer?

Every class has its own log, which is different. They're good xp and nice for alts. You can switch classes, but you need to be the right level to do it. You can't do a 25 quest on archer and turn it in on a 10pugilist, you'd have to be 25 pug to turn it in. You can however do a lvl 10quest on your archer then turn it in on pugilist, but you miss out on the combat xp, which is doubled since pugilist is lower level than your archer.

When you enter a new area how do you go about logging the new monsters? Most of the time they don't log at all after defeating them.

I don't know what you mean. The hunting log requires specific mobs if that's what you mean, open the Logs menu, it'll have a list. The required monsters differ from class to class.

I'm getting confused with guild leves, battle leves and the other leves. Not sure what the point is and for some reason only battle leves are only ever available.

Leves are mostly repeatable quests. The point of them is to simply do quest-like content while leveling alts if you get bored of doing FATEs or dungeons and such. They're also very good for leveling gathering and crafting. I wouldn't bother using them on your first character, they accumulate at a rate of 6 per day up to 100, so until you're capped, there isn't an immediate need to use them. GC leves are good for seals though if you want some.

I am skipping a lot of the text with quest givers because the text and the way it's written is a chore to read with its dialect almost like I have to decipher what they're saying... and it goes on and on and simply isn't very interesting anyway. Is this normal? The localisation is great but it's hard to read and figure out what they're even talking about. I feel like I'm missing out by skipping it and just reading the quick summary afterwards but the stuff they say is dull. I have no idea what's going on in the main story and I didn't skip thise cutscenes, this is supposed to have a decent campaign? I dont see it.

Main story starts pretty slow, so it's not particularily interesting at first. Normal quests have a lot of boring stuff so skipping that isn't particularily an issue. If you don't like reading well yeah that's not great. Skip or don't skip that's up to you. Gets better once you reach the Garuda stuff near the end of the 2.0 questline, so around 40ish or so.

What are the most useful skills with the archer and what skills should I be using in a typical battle? And what complimentary skills from other classes?

Basic archer play is keep Straight Shot buff on, Apply both DoTs(Venomous Bite and later on Windbite), spam Heavy Shot, when it procs Straighter Shot, use Straight Shot, use Bloodletter/Repelling Shot on cooldown. As you level up, more stuff gets added. You'll either figure it out, or look up a bard guide.

I have a company chest with a lot of items and also a armoire and a retainer. I don't really know where I should be depositing items into?

Company Chest is your guild's bank, it's not yours(unless your FC is your own but unlikely), so don't use that. Armoire is a place to stock mostly seasonal event items and a few other things, so they don't clutter your inventory. Retainer is where you want to stock stuff, you use them to stash items and also sell items.

Speaking of items I have all sorts of stuff in my inventory. Should I sell most of my equipment that I no longer use and food and other items or keep them for breaking down into materials?

Check the market board in major cities, if it sells for good money sell it via your retainer, or if you plan on crafting save it, otherwise vendor. A lot of the low level stuff isn't worth anything cause it can be bought on vendors. For the equipement, you get the ability to convert gear that's spiritbound(white bar in the tooltip, and it says how much % at the bottom of the tooltip otherwise) into materias. Otherwise you can keep it for leveling other classes, and if you're out of room, you can just vendor it. If it's pink/green(dungeon/leve chest drops), turn it in at the GC instead for seals.

I have these minions from letters I got sent be Squenix but don't really see the point. Do they do anything in battle? Do they turn into mounts if you feed them?

Cosmetics

Exploration doesn't seem to yield anything and is unrewarding. The areas are large but have zero loot to discover or places to mine. You don't find caves, hidden stashes or chests. what is the point of exploring? All I find is more mobs. There is no incentive to explore as the only items you get are from quests rewards. Am I missing something?

No specific reward from exploring no. They have a sightseeing log but it's very specific in how it works and is pretty annoying overall.

I am finding it more difficult than I should when figuring out where to go for a quest. It's a chore. I use the map which is downright awful. It's so frustrating to actually figure out. It's so unintuitive and doesn't help me at all. Especially when a quest is located in another area entirely. There's layers of different maps within one area and they are labelled strangely where the area names on the maps isn't exactly where you should be going as there can be three area names close to each other on the map making it confusing. Also the zooming out function of the map makes things even worse. Sometimes it shows I'm in the middle of the ocean on the maps for one reason. They are so vague and useless.

I really do want to like this game as I can see a good game underneath it all but it goes out if its way to make everything as unintuitive as possible or poorly explained and expects you to know everything straight away. I'm level 25 but feel like I still haven't got to grips with its features and mechanics and things you can do.

Answers are bolded.

For the final stuff, I don't know what to say. It looks like you're very new to MMOs so that doesn't help, as XIV is otherwise fairly similar to other mmos. TESO is a bit different in the sense that it was designed to be a lot more "consolized" and as such has a lot of shallow aspects but makes it more accessible, plus it's anchored in the TES systems so there's some familiarity for anyone who's played the other games.

Sajjaja

Man how long does it take to make a character on Ultros jeez. Been sitting here refreshing for half an hour.

What classes does the guild need most right now?

Man how long does it take to make a character on Ultros jeez. Been sitting here refreshing for half an hour.

What classes does the guild need most right now?

Class doesn't matter, the FC is so big anyway. Just play something you want to play, or if you want fast queues, tank/healer.

Blocks are refreshed every 3-4hours or so, you're probably not getting a char made during primetime. Try in the morning should be fine for Ultros, or later at night.

Soma

question for a friend:

he was in the GAF guild for a bit and had a room in the FC house

he was out of the game for a while and got understandably kicked from the group and now he's getting back into the game. if he wants to rejoin the FC will he be able to get his room back or something?

Redx508

i didn't know hunt tools showed spawn loc. so precisely.

looks bad man. the female au ra with the fat face are the worst though. slim body, fat face.

that's the guildwork client it also has a chat filter so you can block gil tells
for hunts it only works when someone else using the app is near a hunt than we get a mgs like that

docbon

I'm glad no ones does fates in Azys Lla. Had the whole zone to my party, so we just ran from fate to fate getting 35k xp~ per, plus 400-600 xp per mob. Since the fates failed preivously, they were super easy to complete too. There's more than enough fates, so you can let some boss ones fail and their scaling will get easier the next time they pop.

Kagari and Aceface keeping the
Garlean
hope alive, I see.
Well the Emperor has actually shown up now, so maybe you'll get your wish
. You'll have to make do for now with
Hailing (Regula van) Hydrus

Too bad the
Emperor already seems like the "evil for the sake of evil" kind of villain, unlike Gaius, who was always right.

Jijidasu

Finally got our 'nearly complete' static finished with Alexander tokens over the weekend. One of our DPS got accepted into his medical course and has to give up the game come September, with that being said if there are any folks interested in filling a spot on Exodus in a late-night static we're looking for someone. The raids start at 22:30 PST on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night.

All a bunch of good guys, some I've known for over a decade.

Might use this post to also drop my recruitment code I've been trying to pass off with no luck (I haven't been very diligent about trying to get someone I'll admit). It's a small-ish FC on Exodus, but we get stuff done and are always looking for nice new people to play with. Code:
P8C8MY8K

I'm glad no ones does fates in Azys Lla. Had the whole zone to my party, so we just ran from fate to fate getting 35k xp~ per, plus 400-600 xp per mob. Since the fates failed preivously, they were super easy to complete too. There's more than enough fates, so you can let some boss ones fail and their scaling will get easier the next time they pop.

I prefer the view and music in the hinterlands. Azys Lla is ugla~y

Omni

Answers are bolded.

For the final stuff, I don't know what to say. It looks like you're very new to MMOs so that doesn't help, as XIV is otherwise fairly similar to other mmos. TESO is a bit different in the sense that it was designed to be a lot more "consolized" and as such has a lot of shallow aspects but makes it more accessible, plus it's anchored in the TES systems so there's some familiarity for anyone who's played the other games.

I didn't ask, but as someone somewhat new to the game, this helps me a fair bit too. Thanks :)

Was messing around in the Black Shroud yesterday leveling botanist while all of a sudden the entire zone turned darkgreen with weird snow particles floating around. I initially had no idea what was going on but suddenly everyone started shouting if Odin was up. Turns out he spawned west of Fallgourd Float.

Fighting him for the first time was really fun, and I even managed to get a Gold rating after we beat him. I was hoping for a polearm as reward, what with Gungnir and all, but the only rewards were "tank" armor and a gladiator weapon. So now my chocobo is a horsebird.

Ken

Got MCH to 51 today. Fun job but I'm already dreading all the double oGCDs in the opener with my latency.

I kind of wish we could get a trait where there's a x% chance of keeping or gaining a special ammo when shooting the 1-2-3.

chiliboy

Thanks to all that helped me during the weekend with my archer (now bard!) Llevina Diona :) I feel like I got a grip on most basic mechanics in this game and I must say I'm enjoying the hell out of it!

One question I still have though:

I heard talk about EU datacenters, how will this affect Ultros or NA servers in general? I really don't want to play away from gaf guild :/

Lanrutcon

I gave SMN a shot, I really did, but god that rotation/priority system clusterfuck. Reminds me of some of the worst I've seen in WoW past.

So I went back to SCH. I'd rather heal pubbies than play a class that has to monitor multiple DoT durations, juggle multiple competing CDs and manipulate the GCD via insta-casts without any supporting mods.

wtb TellMeWhen for FFXIV, I guess?

Reknoc

Thanks to all that helped me during the weekend with my archer (now bard!) Llevina Diona :) I feel like I got a grip on most basic mechanics in this game and I must say I'm enjoying the hell out of it!

One question I still have though:

I heard talk about EU datacenters, how will this affect Ultros or NA servers in general? I really don't want to play away from gaf guild :/

I doubt there'll be that much of a difference. Some people will likely move for the better latency but I imagine a good chunk have already become a part of some community there and don't want to move over. Personally I hope at least 17 people move because that's always what my queue ends up being.

IMBored

I doubt there'll be that much of a difference. Some people will likely move for the better latency but I imagine a good chunk have already become a part of some community there and don't want to move over. Personally I hope at least 17 people move because that's always what my queue ends up being.

All the bests players are EU, so with better ping they'll all move so they can get even better. GAF will be filled with bads.

Kidding aside, I think that's it's going to be interesting to see what'll happen. I know a lot of people that have latency problems, but most feel at home in gaf, plus the cost of moving.

Reknoc

All the bests players are EU, so with better ping they'll all move so they can get even better. GAF will be filled with bads.

Kidding aside, I think that's it's going to be interesting to see what'll happen. I know a lot of people that have latency problems, but most feel at home in gaf, plus the cost of moving.

Yea, I have problems with AOEs and Mudras occasionally but I wouldn't want to move. I'd assume though, that they'd offer a free transfer for people that do since they maybe should have had euro servers to start with?

chiliboy

Couldn't they in theory make it so people on for example Ultros could utilize either NA or EU datacenters depending on IP?

IMBored

Yea, I have problems with AOEs and Mudras occasionally but I wouldn't want to move. I'd assume though, that they'd offer a free transfer for people that do since they maybe should have had euro servers to start with?

They had "EU" servers, but these servers were actually in NA. What they'll do is move those servers to the EU Datacenter. Ultros is not a EU server btw.

Couldn't they in theory make it so people on for example Ultros could utilize either NA or EU datacenters depending on IP?

Datacenters manages all the information of the servers, they don't communicate between datacenters. Example is DF, that only searches from servers in that datacenter.

Reknoc

They had "EU" servers, but these servers were actually in NA. What they'll do is move those servers to the EU Datacenter. Ultros is not a EU server btw.

Yea, I know that, but since they were all in the same place I think it's likely a good portion just went with wherever or where any external communities (GAF, Reddit etc) they were apart of went since there was little reason to split them up based on region.

Jeels

So i was healing a low lv roulette and this was my chat the james guy had the new icon

I see you've met my alt.

How serious is it to have Gauss Barrel on full time? I just hit level 52 and I can honestly say I fucking hate it already. I finally get why people are bitching so much. Other than that MCH is a blast to play as long as I don't use GB.

You know, in regards to gauss barrel I've heard everything from it should always be on to you never need it on...I usually pop it on when I have all my cooldowns going and have enough procs to do the full combo. Then I shut it back off.

I am curious how much downtime Chaos datacenter will have while they move the data to europe.

Also curious as to if they will add more worlds.

I guess we will see :).

chiliboy

Datacenters manages all the information of the servers, they don't communicate between datacenters. Example is DF, that only searches from servers in that datacenter.

So basically they are gonna split up a lot of people.. great!
There is no handy tool in the game for checking on ping either.. sigh :/

Going to have to make a hard choice between staying with GAF and moving to better latency then - oh the joy!

Lanrutcon

This wouldn't be an issue if this game wasn't such a gigantic latency check. Most of the time I have less than a second to move out of a blast marker, and when I do make it I still get hit half the time. If it's a huge blast marker and I'm dead center then I don't even try to get out since it is, literally, impossible unless you live in the first world.

Sorry Square, but if I can raid the bleeding edge of Mythic in WoW with this connection then I should be able to do your content too.

CoLaN

I came back for the expansion (left a couple months after the release) and after catching up with the 2.0-2.55 main story quest i just cant find a class i enjoy; i dont like the rotations, they all feel clunky to me.

I got a level 50 monk and bard, a level 38 dragoon, and im trying ninja and summoner. Maybe the game is not for me, it feels too structured in a predictable way.

Its funny how im actually having more fun playing Trove (a simple MMO with a different formula). Im probably burned out on standard MMOs

Top Bottom