• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Finally got to i170 at 5 AM this morning.

3WoE1Kg.gif

Tiops

Finished the main quest yesterday.

Best final boss I fought in years. Amazing fight, really. Now the farming begins.

grimmiq

Found a somewhat irritating little bug..sometimes when changing class my Legacy marking just disappears, switching back and forth usually makes it come back.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Phew, got all Alexander items for this week. I'm not going the most optimal route, but I've decided to grab legs and chest from Esoterics and have all other items from Alexander in 3 weeks total.

Anyway, 4 successful runs in an hour with different DF groups, I expected it to be much, much worse. At least most people know what to do and have high enough ilv to not drag the whole party down.

I came back for the expansion (left a couple months after the release) and after catching up with the 2.0-2.55 main story quest i just cant find a class i enjoy; i dont like the rotations, they all feel clunky to me.

I got a level 50 monk and bard, a level 38 dragoon, and im trying ninja and summoner. Maybe the game is not for me, it feels too structured in a predictable way.

Its funny how im actually having more fun playing Trove (a simple MMO with a different formula). Im probably burned out on standard MMOs

Try not being dps?

Klyka

Banned
Leveling this god damn DRG to get "blood for blood" is destroying me,I swear.

WHYYYYYY is it so desperately needed for DPS :(

iammeiam

FATE grinding to level explains a lot about some of the tanks and DPS I've been seeing via DF lately. Still nothing incredibly bad, but I'm coming out of this whole thing with a much larger appreciation for things like tanks that actually think about their pulls and party comp. Had two back-to-back double melee groups; one tank chain pulled individual packs allowing single-target to single-target and giving me breathing room to DPS. The other just pulled everything the game would let him despite anemic group AOE, preventing me from doing anything but heal spam and making things take forever. Bigger pulls aren't always faster. I blame North Thanalan for people not getting this.

Also I would like to find whoever started the 'tank The Vault boss at the entrance!' Trend and slap them. Stop doing that.

That said, still think DF in dungeons gets a worse reputation than deserved. It's occasionally rough but in almost every single case workable. Trying to work it out at least breaks up the monotony.

How serious is it to have Gauss Barrel on full time? I just hit level 52 and I can honestly say I fucking hate it already. I finally get why people are bitching so much. Other than that MCH is a blast to play as long as I don't use GB.

GB and ammo management is a part of the fun of the class, though. You can find people who have invested a ton of time and math into justifying stance dancing as the default approach, but circumstances have to be pretty ideal to justify that and even in a perfect situation (dummy parse so no mechanics forcing timing adjustments, as having basically any proc or buff means you should be in GB) the performance gain is minimal to nil. Basically you should have GB up unless you have a really, really good reason not to. Right now things are close enough it's not a huge issue, but with the way GB is expected to scale with gear by 3.1 I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge gap.

Got MCH to 51 today. Fun job but I'm already dreading all the double oGCDs in the opener with my latency.

Good/bad news: once you get GB, double oGCDs is going to push out your GCD even without latency. I'm curious to see if anybody comes up with a single-oGCD opener that works, but for now I'm just eating the GCD delay.

I kind of wish we could get a trait where there's a x% chance of keeping or gaining a special ammo when shooting the 1-2-3.

Hot Shot and Lead Shot consuming ammo is still dumb; there are just too many GCDs before reloads and ammo right now. RNG us some more, decrease cooldown time on the reload skills, something. It's not horribly broken, but it's a relatively small tweak that would improve things greatly.

Leveling this god damn DRG to get "blood for blood" is destroying me,I swear.

WHYYYYYY is it so desperately needed for DPS :(
This is like the primary reason my dps class is summoner because I don't have to worry about that. I got lancer to level 11 and stopped, I just hate the class too much to continue.

It didn't feel nearly as bad as when I had to level black mage to get swiftcast for my healers.

Varth

Sooo, I'm thinking of resubbing down the road, and figured I'd try and update the client (if I can do it without being subbed) to be able to jump back in on a whim whenever I have the time without wastind sub days on massive DLs.

Launching the PS4 client (not Beta, mind you: already googled that explaination) I get a Unable to Complete Version Check [20447][20526][whatever]. message on and on.

Can't find an official error guide to explain whats' wrong. Maybe it doesn't like the backup&restore I did to install a bigger HD in the console?

Any clue?

tariniel

I have a GTX 680. I did a driver update on Friday night. Since Friday, when playing FFXIV, my computer would randomly power off. I would get no error message, blue screen, or anything. This happened after about 5-10mins of playing FFXIV, and did not happen when playing any other game.

At first I checked my temps and made sure I wasn't overheating and everything looked fine. Then I remembered the driver update. I did a rollback to the previous version of the driver and it was totally fine, and was able to play FFXIV for as long as I wanted.

How the hell did a driver cause something so severe? Is this a known issue with the latest drivers?

Omni

Is there any way for me to gift the griffin mount to a friend?

Still not finished the base game's story but was given the collector's edition of HW. Don't care for the mount at all. Can't seem to use the moogle mail thing to give it though. I haven't used the item yet if that makes any difference.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is there any way for me to gift the griffin mount to a friend?

Still not finished the base game's story but was given the collector's edition of HW. Don't care for the mount at all. Can't seem to use the moogle mail thing to give it though.

They would have to get the entire digital collector's edition upgrade for $20. The mount is an untradeable item.

fedexpeon

Banned
I have a GTX 680. I did a driver update on Friday night. Since Friday, when playing FFXIV, my computer would randomly power off. I would get no error message, blue screen, or anything. This happened after about 5-10mins of playing FFXIV, and did not happen when playing any other game.

At first I checked my temps and made sure I wasn't overheating and everything looked fine. Then I remembered the driver update. I did a rollback to the previous version of the drive and it was totally fine, and was able to play FFXIV for as long as I wanted.

How the hell did a driver cause something so severe? Is this a known issue with the latest drivers?

Yeah, it happens to me too.
Like once every week though, not 5-10mins.
I've started playing on borderless fullscreen and now I rarely crashed...I guess alt-tabbing in full mode was the reason.

But who knows tbh with you...

Omni

They would have to get the entire digital collector's edition upgrade for $20.

Well, that's a shame! Was hoping to give it to them. Thanks for the quick response. :)

Unrelated, but is there a way to quickly see where the next main quest is? I spent so long levelling up my pugilist so I could become a bard that I forgot where it was...

Astra

Sooo, I'm thinking of resubbing down the road, and figured I'd try and update the client (if I can do it without being subbed) to be able to jump back in on a whim whenever I have the time without wastind sub days on massive DLs.

Launching the PS4 client (not Beta, mind you: already googled that explaination) I get a Unable to Complete Version Check [20447][20526][whatever]. message on and on.

Can't find an official error guide to explain whats' wrong. Maybe it doesn't like the backup&restore I did to install a bigger HD in the console?

Any clue?

You can't download patches without being subbed, it's really dumb.

Unrelated, but is there a way to quickly see where the next main quest is? I spent so long levelling up my pugilist so I could become a bard that I forgot where it was...

Just check your journal and read the entry for the last quest. Hopefully it'll tell you which area you were in when the quest completed. Next quest should be in the same area.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well, that's a shame! Was hoping to give it to them. Thanks for the quick response. :)

Check your Journal, it should say where the last one was.

fedexpeon

Banned
Well if you are not paying the sub it stands to reason that they wouldn't be happy to devoting server bandwidth to you downloading large patches.

That is a dumb reason.
People want to be updated so they can play at any time when they do resubbed back in.

Astra

Well if you are not paying the sub it stands to reason that they wouldn't be happy to devoting server bandwidth to you downloading large patches.

I have two friends who wanted to download the patches before resubbing. It's not unreasonable for people to not want to fork over $14 to just download the updates so it's ready for them to play when they have time.

IvorB

That is a dumb reason.
People want to be updated so they can play at any time when they do resubbed back in.

I have two friends who wanted to download the patches before resubbing. It's not unreasonable for people to not want to fork over $14 to just download the updates so it's ready for them to play when they have time.

Yeah sure it would be nice to have but allowing every person who has ever played the game at some point to start downloading large files from the server is potentially a lot of additional resource and expense so I can see why they wouldn't want to do that. Plus there is no guarantee that any of those people will actually go on to be paying customers at any point. If it was a big issue maybe they could offer a grace period to download after you resub but I don't think this is such a big issue is it?

fedexpeon

Banned
Yeah, sorry, I'm fine with them needing a sub fee before you start knocking on their server for downloads.

Are they that poor?
I can update pretty much a lot of my unsubbed MMO right now without a sub.
Then again...SE did mismanage their login error 2002 for 2 weeks so I am not surprise if we do somehow manage to knock down their servers from "free" downloads.

Edit: Seriously, how crappy are their servers? People are always complaining about latency in NA/EU saying that they can feel that .5-1 input delay.

Varth

Yeah sure it would be nice to have but allowing every person who has ever played the game at some point to start downloading large files from the server is potentially a lot of additional resource and expense so I can see why they wouldn't want to do that. Plus there is no guarantee that any of those people will actually go on to be paying customers at any point. If it was a big issue maybe they could offer a grace period to download after you resub but I don't think this is such a big issue is it?

I'm not so sure there's such a huge crowd of people that goes around DLing large files just to clog their HDs.

Astra

It's not like every single person who is not subbed is watching the lodestone for updates then each updating their clients when the patch drops and not playing.
Tons of f2p and b2p MMOs let you update whenever, but you might be right. This is SE's servers after all. They struggle under the strain of the currently subscribed.

It's not a big issue, it would just be a nice convenience for people who take several hours to download large patches to be able to download through the week so it's ready for them to resub on the weekend and jump right on.

Lol, Varth has the right idea.

IvorB

I'm not so sure there's such a huge crowd of people that goes around DLing large files just to clog their HDs.

It's not like every single person who is not subbed is watching the lodestone for updates then each updating their clients when the patch drops and not playing.
Tons of f2p and b2p MMOs let you update whenever, but you might be right. This is SE's servers after all. They struggle under the strain of the currently subscribed.

It's not a big issue, it would just be a nice convenience for people who take several hours to download large patches to be able to download through the week so it's ready for them to resub on the weekend and jump right on.

Maybe there aren't that many people or maybe there are. But bandwidth is often at a premium and who knows how much capacity they have. It might not take that many people doing it to have an impact. Plus they would at least have to account for the possibility of the additional traffic that might generate.

can also check online to see where the next one starts

Klyka

Banned

I'd just go ahead and chalk that under "SE needs to make the money they lost from 1.0 back and is trying to run the tightest ship possible"

Ragus

Banned
Want to try a new MMO. Played WoW casually for 2 years and Guild Wars 2 for half a year. Both were nice but I want to try something new.

Is FF XIV the next logical step? I would also love my next MMORPG to be a looker.

Squishy3

You can't download patches without being subbed, it's really dumb.
I remember when I put in my plans to resub I got annoyed by the fact I had to sub to even download the actual game data. So I couldn't just download the client, and then have it be ready to play once I resubbed.

fedexpeon

Banned
Want to try a new MMO. Played WoW casually for 2 years and Guild Wars 2 for half a year. Both were nice but I want to try something new.

Is FF XIV the next logical step? I would also love my next MMORPG to be a looker.

No. FF14 is just another point/click MMO.
I am playing this on maximum setting and it doesn't look that good.
Great special effects and artstyle though.

Wait for Black Desert or even B&S this fall...or go play TERA >.>
It is still the best combat system to date.

Klyka

Banned
No. FF14 is just another point/click MMO.
I am playing this on maximum setting and it doesn't look that good.
Great special effects and artstyle though.

Wait for Black Desert or even B&S this fall...or go play TERA >.>
It is still the best combat system to date.

I'm dying.

Ken

I'd give it a go, sure.

Azzurri

Question about AST sects.

When you choose a sect, do the spells that benefit from the sects change as well, or are they separate from the regular ones you need on your bar? Also, do you always want to be in either one of them, or is it a stance dance?

Yeah, it happens to me too.
Like once every week though, not 5-10mins.
I've started playing on borderless fullscreen and now I rarely crashed...I guess alt-tabbing in full mode was the reason.

But who knows tbh with you...

Yeah I had a crash tabbing out of full when I began playing, switched borderless fullscreen and been fine since. Used the same on TERA too.

iammeiam

When you choose a sect, do the spells that benefit from the sects change as well, or are they separate from the regular ones you need on your bar? Also, do you always want to be in either one of them, or is it a stance dance?

The sects basically have a basic change that impacts everything you do, and then a bonus effect that impacts your Aspected spells.

Diurnal sect is regen stance. It gives you a base 5% increase to cast speed, and then adds a regen to your Aspected Benefic (single target heal) and Aspected Helios (AOE heal) spells. These you use in addition to normal Benefic and normal Helios, not instead of. Think Medica and Medica II.

Nocturnal sect is shield stance. It makes all of your heals 5% stronger, and adds a shield to Aspected Benefic and Aspected Helios.

You cannot change stances in combat. Diurnal is generally preferred--the MP return is better than Nocturnal. Diurnal regen also stacks with WHM regen. If you have two AST, one should go in each stance as AST regens/shields do not stack. Neither do cards, so you have to be careful about not overwriting cards in a double-AST situation.

You cannot 'sect dance' in combat which kinda sucks, so before a fight you need to decide which one you prefer to be in.

And several healer spells such as Aspected Helios change depending on your sect and Collective Unconscious can't even be used unless you're in a sect. No the spells are not separate, the spell simply changes effects depending the on sect you are in.

holdthephone

Neo Member
I've been running Sohm Al from lvl 54-56 and maxing out the MSQ until I cap it. Is this horribly inefficient or do I pretty much have the right idea?

I just thought of something: Why isn't there a wide AoE heal spell akin to Cure III?

i.e. White Mage uses Medica III, for example, works like a combination of Cure III and Medica.

Ken

I've been running Sohm Al from lvl 54-56 and maxing out the MSQ until I cap it. Is this horribly inefficient or do I pretty much have the right idea?

Some people FATE grind at N Than on even levels where they don't get chain bonus from dungeons but it's up to preference. Dungeon XP and FATE XP are probably 1 and 2 in efficiency if you can stomach the queue times or act of doing FATEs.

I just thought of something: Why isn't there a wide AoE heal spell akin to Cure III?

i.e. White Mage uses Medica III, for example, works like a combination of Cure III and Medica.

How Cure III's targeting works always seemed like a balance check to me since a Medica with Cure III's potency would be really strong especially considering it's hitting the MT too.

Most cases DS+Med is good enough. If not then just huddle up for Cure III. If you can't huddle up then that's why we don't have your idea of Medica III.

Top Bottom