• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Alrus

I've been running Sohm Al from lvl 54-56 and maxing out the MSQ until I cap it. Is this horribly inefficient or do I pretty much have the right idea?

I would just the do the sidequests if they're available, but it's just because I find grinding dungeons or fate very boring. Otherwise, grinding fates in Nthan in a group is probably still the most efficient way to lvl.

Azzurri

The sects basically have a basic change that impacts everything you do, and then a bonus effect that impacts your Aspected spells.

Diurnal sect is regen stance. It gives you a base 5% increase to cast speed, and then adds a regen to your Aspected Benefic (single target heal) and Aspected Helios (AOE heal) spells. These you use in addition to normal Benefic and normal Helios, not instead of. Think Medica and Medica II.

Nocturnal sect is shield stance. It makes all of your heals 5% stronger, and adds a shield to Aspected Benefic and Aspected Helios.

You cannot change stances in combat. Diurnal is generally preferred--the MP return is better than Nocturnal. Diurnal regen also stacks with WHM regen. If you have two AST, one should go in each stance as AST regens/shields do not stack. Neither do cards, so you have to be careful about not overwriting cards in a double-AST situation.

Ah, ok got it. Thanks!

WolvenOne

So, assuming that the Mod/Add-on tool is indeed coming sometime in the next six months, what sort of things should we expect? Never played an MMO before this one, so I don't really know what MMO mods look like.

I would just the do the sidequests if they're available, but it's just because I find grinding dungeons or fate very boring. Otherwise, grinding fates in Nthan in a group is probably still the most efficient way to lvl.

Yeah, I find sidequests to be the most engaging out of all the leveling mechanics. Fates are boring. I haven't really started using dungeons for leveling but I will once I finish of the MSQ and start on my Machinist.

Arkeband

Banned
I've been leveling DRK with a friend leveling his AST and I'm really surprised that they didn't add more stuff to speed up 30-50. Having to run 1-2 dungeons per level is "fast" but it's incredibly boring when I've already done this so many times before. It isn't like we can try out different builds or even have a full hotbar of abilities - I'm pressing a 1-2-3 combo, a dot, a reactive ability on a super long cooldown, and a whole bunch of other defensive CD's. Verrrrry stale. I think he's having more fun as an AST with choosing the best recipients for card draws.

We decided to do fates at one point to break up the monotony but that was even slower... uuuuurgh.

WolvenOne

Heavensward area Fates can be worth it, but only under certain circumstances. With a party, if it's mob heavy, and people haven't been slung fates in the area.

Outside of those circumstances, not worth it.

Ken

Having done the 30-50 on DRK and MCH I don't mind the dungeons too much. The different people you get keep it interesting enough, IMO.

On the other hand it could just be the difference in roles? I appreciated the time to practice rotations on MCH. I could see it being worse for DRK since their leveling skills feel very similar to a leveling PLD.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So, assuming that the Mod/Add-on tool is indeed coming sometime in the next six months, what sort of things should we expect? Never played an MMO before this one, so I don't really know what MMO mods look like.

I doubt its coming in 6 months.

Anyway one of the essential mods in WoW was a mod that would scan the auction house (Market Board in that game) and would then list on each item in your inventory a price it could sell for. Was a great way to know what was vendor trash and what was actually sellable on the auction house.

iammeiam

The familiar dungeons are actually really nice, at least for AST and MCH, since it's one less variable to deal with while adjusting to a pretty hefty selection of new skills out of nowhere. Knowing where the harder-hitting SV pulls are going to be, for example, lets you focus more on maximizing all your shiny new heals and cards than being blindsided and scrambling to accommodate the boosted damage with a not totally familiar toolkit. I actually kind of enjoyed AV on AST, even.

Starting the jobs at 30 was enough of a boost IMO.

Arkeband

Banned

Anyway one of the essential mods in WoW was a mod that would scan the auction house (Market Board in that game) and would then list on each item in your inventory a price it could sell for. Was a great way to know what was vendor trash and what was actually sellable on the auction house.

The biggest mods will be ones that make raiding easier - Deadly Boss Mods were vital in WoW for a long time and they would make the less well designed tells in boss fights more obvious.

Other big ones were better visualizations for cooldown management, triggered abilities and rotation management.

Basically things that parse your combat log and provide timers for content, and allow you better customization of your UI are what you'll see the most.

The familiar dungeons are actually really nice, at least for AST and MCH, since it's one less variable to deal with while adjusting to a pretty hefty selection of new skills out of nowhere. Knowing where the harder-hitting SV pulls are going to be, for example, lets you focus more on maximizing all your shiny new heals and cards than being blindsided and scrambling to accommodate the boosted damage with a not totally familiar toolkit. I actually kind of enjoyed AV on AST, even.

Starting the jobs at 30 was enough of a boost IMO.

The familiarity is what makes it so boring, but I know some people have a higher tolerance to this.
It would be nice if the normal trial fights gave big EXP bonuses for the first time completing them on each class, that would cut down on at least a few repeated dungeons. The only time I've ever seen them again is if I get super lucky in a low level roulette.

WolvenOne

Maybe, maybe not. Supposedly, the big hold up before was that the team responsible for making it was held by the PS4 and DX11 version of the game, in that order. I could see things going more quickly now that those projects are out of the way.

Hmm, that WOULD be useful. There are a couple specific things I'd like to see as well, but I'm really not certain if we'd see them.

Specifically, a single player parse. Even if it only tracked your own damage I think SE might object. And a mod to automatically swap out deliverence/defiance abilities when appropriate. I have a Macro that does this, but it fails on rare occasions.

Essential mods are things like customizable resource bars, debuff/buff bars, targeting bars.. basically being able to reskin and separate all of the stuff that's clumped together in unintuitive ways. For example, as a drk now I'd like a way to highlight or single out my mp bar. Make it bigger, change the color, change the texture, etc.

And then things like alerts, custom cooldown timers and popups, different scrolling combat text, maybe even custom target reticule for this game. Then you have convenience stuff like auction house mods or resource node maps or better quest information.

And the item linking/dressing room system in this game is garbage. -_-

iammeiam

The biggest mods will be ones that make raiding easier - Deadly Boss Mods were vital in WoW for a long time and they would make the less well designed tells in boss fights more obvious.

Thing like this worry me for console players, though. You already see the occasional PC-only static advertisement, this'll just make it worse.

Then again, I can't think of a tell currently in the game that isn't already incredibly obvious. ACT audio cues have always struck me as unnecessary.

tariniel

Drivers issues aside, this weekend was pretty demoralizing. I'm an i179 SMN, and according to my friend that has a parser, I do pretty well.

It took 4 different groups to even clear floor 4 of Alexander a single time for my quest. That's like 4+ hours of attempts before I could even get a clear, never mind a drop. I think it's going to be impossible to get drops from this from DF groups.

In addition to that, I joined 3 different Bismarck EX groups to try to get my clear to move on to Ravana, and all of them failed after the green/blue snakes when weather is introduced. After the first group (learning party), I have the mechanics nailed and do what I'm supposed to be doing.

It's incredibly frustrating to lose to things outside of my control. I can't control the Monk that does less DPS than the offtank so we can pass the dps check, I can't control the tank that doesn't pop a cooldown and dies during the island stun, I can't control the healer that moves when I'm trying to block a tether in floor 4, and gets hit by all of them, or the healers that stand next to each other in the last phase and get wrecked.

I know people will say find a static, and maybe it's something I need to look into. As it stands, out of my friends, only 2-3 of us are on at any given time. Maybe we need to look outside the group.

MogCakes

Thing like this worry me for console players, though. You already see the occasional PC-only static advertisement, this'll just make it worse.

Then again, I can't think of a tell currently in the game that isn't already incredibly obvious. ACT audio cues have always struck me as unnecessary.
I don't see the need for mods like that either, there's always an obvious tell once you identify it. The PC-only statics come across like yacht clubs, I wonder if they require 980's too.

Too bad the
Emperor already seems like the "evil for the sake of evil" kind of villain, unlike Gaius, who was always right.
The
Emperor looks evil, but his
words
don't make him sound very evil. He acknowledges that both the WoL/Scions and Garlond
are
after
the
same goal, even if he's clearly bent on using methods that are less than noble and has ulterior motives. His ideology and Gaius's are the
same.

I still wish Gaius was alive. Died before he really got to shine.

fedexpeon

Banned

We better have a DPS/metric meter so we can announce and kick all the bad players. Best yet, FF14 would create their built in-game metric system as the default UI.
Probably the reason why I hate so many MMO because they don't have a metric system in place...you can feel that people are bad, but where is the evidence?

scy

The only one I used to help with my timing was Megaflare for T13. I wanted to figure out the spacing in between each instance of damage.

I um ... never removed it though so it made T13 farms a hilarious bit of "Megaflare ... Megaflare ... Megaflare ... Megaflare"

Klyka

Banned
We better have a DPS/metric meter so we can announce and kick all the bad players. Best yet, FF14 would create their built in-game metric system as the default UI.
Probably the reason why I hate so many MMO because they don't have a metric system in place...you can feel that people are bad, but where is the evidence?

"It's not about playing the game, it's about making other people feel bad that they are!" - fedexpeon 2015

Arkeband

Banned

Focus target has to be re-set every single time the boss respawns - a battle add-on could rectify this and make cast bars more obvious. For multi-target boss fights (A1, for instance), it could keep both bosses health bars together as a unique UI element onscreen. This gives the player better visibility of main targets without having to click around the screen.

Deadly Boss Mods would also have timers that would let you know when certain phases were ending, or they'd pre-warn you of upcoming phases based on boss health. There were a lot of different things it could watch for and prepare the player for so they could focus on other things like damage rotations.

Obviously damage meters would be huge, too.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
We better have a DPS/metric meter so we can announce and kick all the bad players.

There is evidence, you just can't call them out on it here. It is the core of what makes DF groups so risky. It reinforces the bads and fosters more bads.

Your best bet is to create a PF and get a parser. Never admit to using the parser and just boot the bads without saying a word. Even if you try to help them get better, the very nature of telling them they need to get better could cause issues if you are reported.

Ken

Focus target has to be re-set every single time the boss respawns - a battle add-on could rectify this and make cast bars more obvious. For multi-target boss fights (A1, for instance), it could keep both bosses health bars together as a unique UI element onscreen. This gives the player better visibility of main targets without having to click around the screen.

Deadly Boss Mods would also have timers that would let you know when certain phases were ending, or they'd pre-warn you of upcoming phases based on boss health. There were a lot of different things it could watch for and prepare the player for so they could focus on other things like damage rotations.

The focus target doesn't reset on jumps anymore, iirc. Was a post-launch change.

fedexpeon

Banned
"It's not about playing the game, it's about making other people feel bad that they are!" - fedexpeon 2015

Yup...that's what I said.
You have 7 other players that are playing at their best.
You are dragging the other 7 players down.
You are inefficiently devaluing the time of the other 7 players.
You are limiting the contents that these 7 players can enjoy.

Overall, DPS/metric meter helps you improve your game.
You can gauge your dps rotation effectively, you can measure your performance against other players, you can analyze your playstyle and where to find improvements.
It is the greatest tool for any player.
Without a base metric, how can you improve even more as a player?

iammeiam

I um ... never removed it though so it made T13 farms a hilarious bit of "Megaflare ... Megaflare ... Megaflare ... Megaflare"

Did you think about turning off ACT for that?

Or do you just like... Shut down if that ever happens?

I'm not saying I can't think of QoL improvements that could result, so much as I think console players will be at a disadvantage for not having a largely unnecessary tool set. I tend to view things like learning how my rotation fits with a fight's patterns, monitoring for upcoming phase changes, learning when I can and can't get away with tunneling, etc, a base part of learning the actual fight. Not having access to a program that will flat-out tell me this stuff doesn't mean I can't do it, but I'm not convinced the player base is going to be particularly accepting of people who don't want to install add-ons so they can just tunnel. ...then again I probably don't want to do things with those people anyway so maybe I actually don't care beyond curiousity on community impact.

I also worry add-ons will become the answer to a lot of universal QoL issues. Things like the push for TP visibility for support classes would/will be less with allowed add-ons.

Klyka

Banned
Yup...that's what I said.
You have 7 other players that are playing at their best.
You are dragging the other 7 players down.
You are inefficiently devaluing the time of the other 7 players.
You are limiting the contents that these 7 players can enjoy.

Overall, DPS/metric meter helps you improve your game.
You can gauge your dps rotation effectively, you can measure your performance against other players, you can analyze your playstyle and where to find improvements.
It is the greatest tool for any player.
Without a base metric, how can you improve even more as a player?

Muh DPS.

"Sorry Billy,you are only doing 799 DPS. The internet tells me you need to do 800DPS. We can't play together anymore! Good bye Billy!"

This is fucking FF14 son, you don't need to be the bleeding edge for like 98% of this game. And for the parts you do want to be,those people are all using parsers anyway.
No need to give Joe Schmoe the ability to go "uh i read on uh reddit uh that your dps uh sucks. vote kick plz"

scy

Did you think about turning off ACT for that?

Or do you just like... Shut down if that ever happens?

But then who will yell at me.

No need to give Joe Schmoe the ability to go "uh i read on uh reddit uh that your dps uh sucks. vote kick plz"

Let's be honest here, they already do this.

I mean, I agree there's most likely no real good gain with built-in meters but it's not like "I READ ON REDDIT THAT YOU'RE BAD" isn't already a thing.

Arkeband

Banned
Muh DPS.

"Sorry Billy,you are only doing 799 DPS. The internet tells me you need to do 800DPS. We can't play together anymore! Good bye Billy!"

This is fucking FF14 son, you don't need to be the bleeding edge for like 98% of this game. And for the parts you do want to be,those people are all using parsers anyway.

Uh.

You've never run with the, oh, I dunno, HALF of the community who play like they're disabled in every frustrating way possible except for ability to roleplay and admire others ponies?

It's never a matter of 1 DPS, it's a matter of "holy shit this guy only casts Fire I and is doing 100 DPS no wonder this dungeon is taking so long"

<initiates vote kick>
"UM THAT'S MY E-HUSBAND HOW DARE YOU TRY TO KICK HIM"
You've been removed from the duty.

WolvenOne

I want a parser, but I want a parser that only you can see, and only tracks your own damage output. That should be a sufficient tool for allowing players to improve, without it easily lending itself to griefing.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Muh DPS.

That oversimplifies the problem.
There are a lot of DPS checks in this game. If the group fails a DPS check and everybody is alive, there needs to be feedback as to who is dragging the DPS down.

There is feedback for when tanks fail at enimity.
There is feedback for when healers fail at healing.
There is no feedback for sucky DPS. Since there are 4 per party it is always another person's fault so nobody tries to improve.

It isn't about what reddit or the internet says, it is how much damage you do relative to the party you are with. This is why it doesn't even need to be a number and a bar or meter would do just fine so long as it measures individual players and not party DPS.

Klyka

Banned
Uh.

You've never run with the, oh, I dunno, HALF of the community who play like they're disabled in every frustrating way possible except for ability to roleplay and admire others ponies?

It's never a matter of 1 DPS, it's a matter of "holy shit this guy only casts Fire I and is doing 100 DPS no wonder this dungeon is taking so long"

<initiates vote kick>

I have never been in content in this that could not be cleared. I only ever had to abandon something because people disconnected.

Again,I have never and will never participate in the "bleeding edge" of the content, cause I just don't care for it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I have never been in content in this that could not be cleared. I only ever had to abandon something because people disconnected.

Again,I have never and will never participate in the "bleeding edge" of the content, cause I just don't care for it.

Obviously you are the authority on the need for DPS meters then. Makes sense why you would make fun of those of us with a desire to challenge ourselves.

MogCakes

Uh. (...)

<initiates vote kick>
I lol'd at this more than I should have.

I want a parser, but I want a parser that only you can see, and only tracks your own damage output. That should be a sufficient tool for allowing players to improve, without it easily lending itself to griefing.
That would be a great tool. We already have /echo, there should be an echo parser built in. There is definitely a need for some kind of tool to measure playstyle improvement.

scy

While this would be nice, all it really means is after a failed DPS check, it's simply a "okay what DPS was everyone at?" being asked.

I got a Neverreap DF yesterday with two bards. No parser needed when the clock timer goes past 40 minutes.

Two bards in DF should not be allowed.

Seeing as you can do it faster than that with a single DPS, I'd say the tank was the biggest problem in that arrangement.

Reknoc

This would probably be the better idea. The majority of the FFXIV community is kinda shite and I wouldn't trust them with a party parser.

Klyka

Banned
Obviously you are the authority on the need for DPS meters then. Makes sense why you would make fun of those of us with a desire to challenge ourselves.

You already have DPS parsers bro.

I am just against making them a proper part of the game and giving them into the hands of the entire community.

It's ok if people who need them download and use them.
It is not ok if people who have no fucking clue use an ingame tool they don't understand the significance of to try and further some wrong notions about who is "good or bad"

Your own parser makes no sense unless Yoshida releases minimum dps numbers for every fight. You have to know what the group's average dps is, not just your own. You knowing you're doing great doesn't help you identify why you wiped.

Ken

Yeah, I don't really see a point of an in-game parser for the purpose of duty finder runs. Party finder, sure, but we already have ACT and manual kick for that.

docbon

I would be ecstatic if my pug groups had dps that did 799 dps on average.

Usually it's half of that, making dungeons take twice as long. It's annoying as fuck.

So I always premake my EXDRs~

fedexpeon

Banned

That's great.
But how about the other players?
They probably do care.
They want to not wipe.
They want to finish the grindfest for gear in a reasonable time.

But as a player, you don't want to know your performance relatives to others?
You don't want to know how you can improve your playstyle?
Even if you aren't part of the bleeding edge crowd, this is always that human nature to stride for improvement.
Is there ever a reason not to? Is there a reason to do anything half-way? Is there a reason not to learn and master your class?
No.
And with a meter, you can acknowledge the fact that you have done well for your skill level.

Ken

That's great.
But how about the other players?
They probably do care.
They want to not wipe.
They want to finish the grindfest for gear in a reasonable time.

But as a player, you don't want to know your performance relatives to others?
You don't want to know how you can improve your playstyle?
Even if you aren't part of the bleeding edge crowd, this is always that human nature to stride for improvement.
Is there ever a reason not to? Is there a reason to do anything half-way? Is there a reason not to learn and master your class?
No.
And with a meter, you can acknowledge the fact that you have done well for your skill level.

Advanced Combat Tracker.
It is the tool for the individual.
Also group runs with friends.
Don't let YoshiP know.

Top Bottom