• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Shamdeo

I've enjoyed the entirety of XIV's plot, even if it is cheesy, but then my threshold for enjoyment isn't all that high among RPGs.

I really enjoy the story and lore Final Fantasy XIV, and I think the team are getting gradually better at it as well.

That being said it's not without faults. The first third (or so) of A Realm Reborn is pretty dull, even if it's intended to more or less introduce (or re-introduce) you to Eorzea. That probably led to a sizable chunk of people opting to skip story cutscenes altogether -- a big mistake as it definitely improves towards the end and into the patches and expansion.

Luckily we have the inn books that save major cutscenes (though there's lots of interesting nuggets in non-cutscene dialogue that don't appear) so that you could spend some down time catching yourself up if you so desired.

There's also some questionable handling of important characters (Scions) that I can't wholly disagree with, unless we go on a case-by-case basis.

The whole "Warrior of Light defeated all the Primals but we need you to deliver uniforms" thing is less patronizing when you look at it as a way to explore smaller stories, characters, and lore -- without taking agency away from a player navigating a character in a video game. Which -- that's okay because -- it's firstly a video game. Yes it's an awkward device, but I don't think it's uncomfortably exerted over you.

To a certain extent you can tell the writers are aware of this. They poke at it a bit -- or have even levelled it as a criticism of the Warrior of Light's character. It's nice to see them have a bit of fun with the dissonance -- to give it an interesting context, at the very least.

I think Heavensward's handling of its story (again, not perfect) was really well-done in that I felt invested in the characters and their plight. The lore and presentation of it also unfolds in a way where it's not an exposition dump, but gives you time to absorb and understand background elements that enrich the current goings-on -- at moments where it is needed. The pace aligns itself closer to an adventure, which made it feel more aligned with the pacing of a single player Final Fantasy.

Here's hoping the team can further improve on what Heavensward has.

Great stuff.

JamesAR15

So I figured I would give FFXIV a shot on PC (was a long time XI player) and I have been trying to download the latest patch for about 3 hours, it just keeps failing. Really starting to get frustrated with this!!

Audioboxer

My arcanist hit level 30 :D

Should I start on the path to get to summoner right away or keep powering the levelling as an arcanist for longer?

Apoptomon

My arcanist hit level 30 :D

Should I start on the path to get to summoner right away or keep powering the levelling as an arcanist for longer?
Generally it would be a good idea to unlock the job ASAP, particularly for group content. Thaumaturge to 15 (the minimum to unlock summoner) shouldn't take too long. I'd recommend sticking with it a bit longer to get swiftcast, but honestly that can wait until you're closer to 50.

Teknoman

Soon.

Exciting stuff

qwYlUF3.png

That's what I'm talking about! Hope it works out nicely.

So I figured I would give FFXIV a shot on PC (was a long time XI player) and I have been trying to download the latest patch for about 3 hours, it just keeps failing. Really starting to get frustrated with this!!

Turn off/white list in firewall/antivirus. Those tend to mess with the patcher a lot and is generally the first cause for issues.

Audioboxer

Get dat job. You don't want to end up in a dungeon playing as a class post 30.

Generally it would be a good idea to unlock the job ASAP, particularly for group content. Thaumaturge to 15 (the minimum to unlock summoner) shouldn't take too long. I'd recommend sticking with it a bit longer to get swiftcast, but honestly that can wait until you're closer to 50.

Thanks! Will do.

Not even levelled any gathering or professions yet lol. Soo much to do in this game!

MrHoot

So I finally catched up with the story to the point where i wanted: Get into ishgard. I was quite a way behind and had to finish 2.2 through 2.5.

Most of it felt like a chore, like a "Game of thrones season 5" build up. I wasn't invested in most of the storyline

But holy shit, that 2.5 conclusion. When I was about to just throw the whole FF XIV story under the bus, this hits. And now Ishgard looks freaking awesome and has great music

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I really enjoy the story and lore Final Fantasy XIV, and I think the team are getting gradually better at it as well.

That being said it's not without faults. The first third (or so) of A Realm Reborn is pretty dull, even if it's intended to more or less introduce (or re-introduce) you to Eorzea. That probably led to a sizable chunk of people opting to skip story cutscenes altogether -- a big mistake as it definitely improves towards the end and into the patches and expansion.

Luckily we have the inn books that save major cutscenes (though there's lots of interesting nuggets in non-cutscene dialogue that don't appear) so that you could spend some down time catching yourself up if you so desired.

There's also some questionable handling of important characters (Scions) that I can't wholly disagree with, unless we go on a case-by-case basis.

The whole "Warrior of Light defeated all the Primals but we need you to deliver uniforms" thing is less patronizing when you look at it as a way to explore smaller stories, characters, and lore -- without taking agency away from a player navigating a character in a video game. Which -- that's okay because -- it's firstly a video game. Yes it's an awkward device, but I don't think it's uncomfortably exerted over you.

To a certain extent you can tell the writers are aware of this. They poke at it a bit -- or have even levelled it as a criticism of the Warrior of Light's character. It's nice to see them have a bit of fun with the dissonance -- to give it an interesting context, at the very least.

I think Heavensward's handling of its story (again, not perfect) was really well-done in that I felt invested in the characters and their plight. The lore and presentation of it also unfolds in a way where it's not an exposition dump, but gives you time to absorb and understand background elements that enrich the current goings-on -- at moments where it is needed. The pace aligns itself closer to an adventure, which made it feel more aligned with the pacing of a single player Final Fantasy.

Here's hoping the team can further improve on what Heavensward has.

Great stuff.
In the end...

Gaius was right.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In terms of space travel, it's like leaving the solar system on your way to Andromeda.

At sublight speeds.

i know many people like to blame the PS3 for everything. did you know many people play this game on old PCs? every other day i have someone in roulette loading forever "sorry, my PC is especially slow today" takes a minute to start a duty :D

yoshi won't up the minimum requirements and lose that customer base. you will most probably be done with the game before he ever does that.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm up to 'Operation Archon', how far is this from the end of ARR story? Seems like stuff is coming to a head now.

Your 7 more quests away from finishing the base story line of 2.0

Rising_Hei

i know many people like to blame the PS3 for everything. did you know many people play this game on old PCs? every other day i have someone in roulette loading forever "sorry, my PC is especially slow today" takes a minute to start a duty :D

yoshi won't up the minimum requirements and lose that customer base. you will most probably be done with the game before he ever does that.

This, many people plays on PCs that run FFXIV worse than the PS3 (yes, that's possible)

Kalentan

I just did the final story dungeon and was disconnected mid way through the cutscene as you exit. I better not have to do it again. :(

fedexpeon

Banned
I have.. no idea what this means lol

It means 3.1 will arrive before you even get to Ishgard.

This, many people plays on PCs that run FFXIV worse than the PS3 (yes, that's possible)

This I don't understand at all.
MMO is a hobby no? Why aren't people spending money on their hobby?
I know my friend spent over $2k over this 4th of July to do some saltwater fishing with ours group of friends.
Even I think it was stupid...maybe I was jelly that I couldn't attend it since I didn't want to ride 6hrs to the coast >.>

Possibly but did this really need an emergency maintenance? Markets getting killed isn't new, remember when they added those shoes in Uldah and FC3s went from 500k to like 100k overnight, and eventually stagnated at like 30k? If everyone's farming clusters, then no one's making 150-250k an hour. Shit you wouldn't be making that much anyway because there's simply not enough demand for clusters. All you're doing is flooding the market, and while it'll render clusters completely worthless, I don't think anyone cares? I don't know, this looks like a shitty reason for an emergency 4hours maintenance, this could have waited until the usual maintenance time fine.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Well looking at the reddit thread there seems to be a very convenient exploit in one of the Alexander Floors and someone in my FC did mentioned something about that before I logged off so we will have to see when the notes get posted what they fixed or nerfed.

I just did the final story dungeon and was disconnected mid way through the cutscene as you exit. I better not have to do it again. :(

youll have to do it again. the same thing happened to me when i did the final CS. It'll just restart you from the beginning.

on a lighter note those DRK and MCH PvP skills are something fierce. I had someone try to knock me off the island, and i managed to turn around at the last second and my ability knocked them back off the cliff and sent me to the center lol. definitely prefering DRK and MCH to WAR and BRD at the moment for pvp. dat wildfire burst though

they need to relax on these maintenance's as well. their bug fixes don't amount to much, or at least not enough to bring down the servers as much as they have.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man, seeing how quickly crafters and gatherers lock on to the finer points of it all makes me realize that I'll never be that good at it. =/ Ah well.

Wow...250k geezus.
BTW, is it true that gold farmers are having a hard time in HW since they can't get in?

they can't enter HW until they do story. this is the best part about the expansion currently. running into soulless bots when you explore the world is the worst thing that can happen in a mmorpg. the stuff i was gathering was actually worth something.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
they can't enter HW until they do story. this is the best part about the expansion currently. running into soulless bots when you explore the world is the worst thing that can happen in a mmorpg. the stuff i was gathering was actually worth something.

See, now this is a real actual defense for storygating.

Jayhawk

Wow...250k geezus.
BTW, is it true that gold farmers are having a hard time in HW since they can't get in?

That amount of gil is dependent on people actually buying clusters at those prices and the market's supply not being flooded to exceed the demand. A hundred of a type of clusters will last anybody a while.

WolvenOne

Just to respond to something. While getting rid of PS3 support likely wouldn't greatly change the minimum specifications of this game, it would do a few things.

First and foremost, it'd allow them to use more memory for things like the UI and possibly textures. Keep in mind that while the PS3 has 512MB total, the OS and the way the memory is broken up makes large swathes of the RAM unusable on the PS3. You have to go back to 2006 or earlier to find PCs where 512MB of Ram was the standard, and chances are those machines probably aren't capable of running XIV at any resolution or frame rate.

Azzurri

Just to respond to something. While getting rid of PS3 support likely wouldn't greatly change the minimum specifications of this game, it would do a few things.

First and foremost, it'd allow them to use more memory for things like the UI and possibly textures. Keep in mind that while the PS3 has 512MB total, the OS and the way the memory is broken up makes large swathes of the RAM unusable on the PS3. You have to go back to 2006 or earlier to find PCs where 512MB of Ram was the standard, and chances are those machines probably aren't capable of running XIV at any resolution or frame rate.

Add ons and better animations like 1.0 had

Top Bottom