• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Ferr986

I didn't spend that much time on 1.0 so I have a hard time saying what part of it looked better; but while 2.0 was a general improvement ( no longer full copy past, etc ), I definitly felt a downgrade. Definitly something about the lighting, and even maybe the polycount and texture quality.

The textures were def. way better in 1.0.

Some areas looks better in 2.0 just because of better art design.

Who gets me the most about 1.0 is how dull the combat looks, like spellcasters not even unsheathing their weapon and barely look active when casting. At least 2.0 made those animations seem much more involved.

True, but at the same time 1.0 had unique race animations, that was neat. The racial animations got lost in 2.0
with the girls asses too.

chiliboy

Calling all paladins - I need tips! :D

Ive been searching for the last 2 hours on guides for tanking when it comes to paladin (gladiator x/conjurer 34/marauder 26)

There is so many conflicting opinions on how tanking by a paladin is to be done in this game, can I get some good pointers?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The textures were def. way better in 1.0.

Some areas looks better in 2.0 just because of better art design.

True, but at the same time 1.0 had unique race animations, that was neat. The racial animations got lost in 2.0
with the girls asses too.

Were they though? On character models, yes, sure, but textures themselves and tiling work in the field seemed awful. Some of the old textures are actually still in the game and they really stand out.

You know what's fun? Getting a lens and pedal in your first two Alex runs and then that seeming to be ALL that drops in every run you make after that.

So they're looking into adjusting the drop rate in Alex

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/246435-アレキサンダーのドロップについて?p=3140664#post3140664

sorry it's in Japanese. As soon as the Japanese community cries, that's when SE does something.

Making the game more Casual ;)

I hate the Alex loot system, having to compete with 7 others every time for stuff you need more than one of sucks. After a while the Alex runs just feel like a complete waste of time.

JamesAR15

Ugh! Still trying to get these patches downloaded, I tried for about 6 hours last night and my internet kept crapping out which is weird because I never really experience issues with my service.

Anyone have recommendations for a server when I finally get on?

Baleoce

Ugh! Still trying to get these patches downloaded, I tried for about 6 hours last night and my internet kept crapping out which is weird because I never really experience issues with my service.

Anyone have recommendations for a server when I finally get on?

For heavensward, I literally got a friend to do an installation transplant with me. They sent me a bunch of disks marked 1-5 each with all the different game files marked in a folder tree so I knew where to put them. I was using tethered mobile internet when heavensward came out and it was costing me a lot of money on data allowances.

JamesAR15

For heavensward, I literally got a friend to do an installation transplant with me. They sent me a bunch of disks marked 1-5 each with all the different game files marked in a folder tree so I knew where to put them. I was using tethered mobile internet when heavensward came out and it was costing me a lot of money on data allowances.

Yea I actually found a torrent that people have been using to update but it was going about 8kbps even with all the trackers added. Guess I'll try again tonight :(

Valor

Ive been searching for the last 2 hours on guides for tanking when it comes to paladin (gladiator x/conjurer 34/marauder 26)

There is so many conflicting opinions on how tanking by a paladin is to be done in this game, can I get some good pointers?

The question is pretty out there, since it really all depends on what you're going to be tanking. If it's dungeon stuff you can get by with Circle of Scorn/Flash/Halone combo across everything. If it's from 50-60 things changing with Goring Blade/Shelltron and other stuff like that.

chiliboy

The question is pretty out there, since it really all depends on what you're going to be tanking. If it's dungeon stuff you can get by with Circle of Scorn/Flash/Halone combo across everything. If it's from 50-60 things changing with Goring Blade/Shelltron and other stuff like that.

Okay I'll start with focusing on dungeons while leveling - so flash is good until I get Halone?

Valor

Okay I'll start with focusing on dungeons while leveling - so flash is good until I get Halone?

More or less, yeah. You'd pull a pack of mobs and drop Flash one to two times, then you can cycle targets with your Fast Blade/Savage Blade combo, saving Savage for something you want to definitely keep hate on. If the dps attack different targets, drop another flash or two to keep threat on multiple targets easier. You may need to use less flashes since they upped the threat generation of it.

The same tactic can apply once you get Halone as well, dropping Halone on the target you want to keep hate on (usually the enemy the dps are focusing down) while dropping the other two on whatever other mobs there are. This works best when you're pulling around 3-4 mobs. Any more than that and things can get dicey with targeting and whatnot. The only real change to this comes once you hit 50 and get Circle of Scorn, since it's an AoE dot with enmity to it, and it holds really well while doing a decent bit of damage. So Flash+Circle of Scorn will eventually be aoe threat maintaining, while dropping Halone combos once you feel threat is fine. This is up until 50, at the very least. Post 50 I haven't really played much personally with Pally, but I'm sure others can chime in.

chiliboy

More or less, yeah. You'd pull a pack of mobs and drop Flash one to two times, then you can cycle targets with your Fast Blade/Savage Blade combo, saving Savage for something you want to definitely keep hate on. If the dps attack different targets, drop another flash or two to keep threat on multiple targets easier. You may need to use less flashes since they upped the threat generation of it.

The same tactic can apply once you get Halone as well, dropping Halone on the target you want to keep hate on (usually the enemy the dps are focusing down) while dropping the other two on whatever other mobs there are. This works best when you're pulling around 3-4 mobs. Any more than that and things can get dicey with targeting and whatnot. The only real change to this comes once you hit 50 and get Circle of Scorn, since it's an AoE dot with enmity to it, and it holds really well while doing a decent bit of damage. So Flash+Circle of Scorn will eventually be aoe threat maintaining, while dropping Halone combos once you feel threat is fine. This is up until 50, at the very least. Post 50 I haven't really played much personally with Pally, but I'm sure others can chime in.

Thank you, this was exactly what I was looking for - will save info :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So they're looking into adjusting the drop rate in Alex

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/246435-アレキサンダーのドロップについて?p=3140664#post3140664

sorry it's in Japanese. As soon as the Japanese community cries, that's when SE does something.

Making the game more Casual ;)

Current loot system sucks. Players are generally awful unless you have a static or get into a FC PF. Then having to compete for items you need multiples of?

It probably should have just been simple tokens to begin with. Beat the floor? Get a token. Done. Want to help others? Go for it. Get some law, but no token. Fair enough.

LaneDS

Azzurri

Current loot system sucks. Players are generally awful unless you have a static or get into a FC PF. Then having to compete for items you need multiples of?

It probably should have just been simple tokens to begin with. Beat the floor? Get a token. Done. Want to help others? Go for it. Get some law, but no token. Fair enough.

I was kidding, and I thought that's how they where going to do it at release.

Linkark07

Banned

Usually Shield lob, then when all the thrash is near me I burn flash three times and circle of scorn. With Heavensward I also use Sheltron since it gives free MP, useful for burn more flash. If available, before pulling, pop Fight or Flight; more dmg = more hate.

After that, Halone combo, move for avoid AOEs, Spirit within, pop some cooldowns if I'm taking too much damage and scorn when it is available again.

As for bosses, almost the same stuff, except I don't use flash unless adds appear.

Doing some tests right now with Goring Blade and Royal Authority so can't comment about those.

chiliboy

Usually Shield lob, then when all the thrash is near me I burn flash three times and circle of scorn. With Heavensward I also use Sheltron since it gives free MP, useful for burn more flash. If available, before pulling, pop Fight or Flight; more dmg = more hate.

After that, Halone combo, move for avoid AOEs, Spirit within, pop some cooldowns if I'm taking too much damage and scorn when it is available again.

As for bosses, almost the same stuff, except I don't use flash unless adds appear.

Doing some tests right now with Goring Blade and Royal Authority so can't comment about those.

Thanks! :)

iammeiam

I was kidding, and I thought that's how they where going to do it at release.

This was one of the things I ultimately decided they wouldn't be able to get away with, because they really do need to incentivize people rerunning floors. One-and-done is more player friendly but will make things a wasteland by the end of the week.

I think the ideal is a combination of guaranteed token + some RNG drop; ideally having the RNG drop be something non-gear and not on lockout. Basically it needs to convince people it's worth the effort to do (I'm not convinced and have a grand total of 0 Alex drops; just not worth it for me), while providing some additional hook for returning that doesn't make rerunning seem mandatory.

Klyka

Banned
Still grinding up my lancer via dungeons. Up to lvl 26 now, so only 8 more levels to go until I can bury him in the "cross class skill graveyard".

Still not sure which one of the new classes I want to level.

Machinist or Astrologian,maybe?

How long does it take to level a character from 1 to 60? I'm talking without MSQ since it's already been used up by your main.

Zomba13

The way I usually do it in general is to mark targets (I have a macro that marks 1, then 2, then 3 but usually only do 1 then 2), shield lob target 1, flash once or twice, start my enmity combo (fast blade, savage blade, rage of halone) and alternate it on the enemies using the highest rank on the current mob the DPS are hitting (eg, shield lob 1, flash, flash, fast blade on 3, savage blade 2, halone 1). Depending on the level you are you might not have access to Halone so just adjust as needed. Sometimes, if the DPS is high I just focus on the current target with the full combo if I think a DPS is building too much hate.

Other than that just keep an eye on the enmity list. Tanking for a boss is pretty much the same though you just focus on the single target mostly (maybe grab an add if it is needed though most times they are handled by the DPS). When off tanking just go into DPS mode (sword oath) and switch on shield oath if adds pop up that you have to grab.

At 50+ you get new combos so you'll want to do the DoT combo when you can (after you've built up hate) and then switch to the DPS combo if you feel comfortable. Rage of Halone gives a STR debuff to mobs so that is handy for throwing on as it means less damage taken. Also remember to work in your damage mitigation cooldowns.

psy18

Resubbed...
My resolve is weak :(

My guild welcomes me back very warmly though... I'm genuinely touched...

The beauty of MMO ;_;

DrBo42

Leveling a healer and finally unlocking the Duty Finder is like

giphy.gif

Anything to save me from these quests in the starting area. Get me the fuck out of hereeeee.

Stuart444

I was in Brayflox earlier on my DRK, had fun with it and no real issues.

Did have a DRG try and pull extra mobs several times and I put up with it for a bit. However he then pulled a boss before anyone had gotten into the arena. (the one with the bubbles... which btw we never got for some reason. First time doing that boss with no bubbles appearing o_O ) We all got into the arena in time and took care of it.

After that, he tried it again on the mobs after the boss and I just let him die (told Alice who was the AST to not heal him either). He had to learn... also let him return to the start instead of having him rezzed.

After that, he behaved for the rest of the run.

Might be considered mean but considering how quickly he pulled the boss, I wasn't putting up with that like I usually do with normal mobs. On the bright side, he didn't pull the final boss :)

It's also literally the first time I've done something like that. I usually try and just put up with whatever my party members do. Not today for some reason.

hamchan

Did have a DRG try and pull extra mobs several times and I put up with it for a bit. However he then pulled a boss before anyone had gotten into the arena. (the one with the bubbles... which btw we never got for some reason. First time doing that boss with no bubbles appearing o_O ) We all got into the arena in time and took care of it.

After that, he tried it again on the mobs after the boss and I just let him die (told Alice who was the AST to not heal him either). He had to learn... also let him return to the start instead of having him rezzed.

Might be considered mean but considering how quickly he pulled the boss, I wasn't putting up with that like I usually do with normal mobs. On the bright side, he didn't pull the final boss :)

It's also literally the first time I've done something like that. I usually try and just put up with whatever my party members do. Not today for some reason.

Did you talk to him and tell him to slow down first before deciding he should die?

Zomba13

In those situations I like to tell the player not to do that. They might not know they shouldn't or have had other players put up with it and roll with it without saying anything. Always better to explain why they shouldn't do it than to conspire with the healer to let them die to teach them a lesson. IF they don't speak english you can try the auto translate to get the message across like (aggro) (no thank you) <DRG name>. If they keep doing it after you are nice and explain then yeah, let them learn the hard way.

IF they understand and give a reason like "yeah well other groups are ok with it" then you know they understand and can just ask them not to for this run. I'm just sick of hearing people bitch about bad tanks/healers/dps in FC chat and then say stuff like "I'm just going to let them die, that'll teach them" without even explaining to them what they are doing wrong.

Stuart444

Did you talk to him and tell him to slow down first before deciding he should die?

Was a quiet run, only thing I said was "What the hell Dragoon?" when he pulled the boss. No Response. (the guy seemed to be a fan of emoting at people though. stuff like /laugh

The BLM who was with us was also taken aback by that pull almost not getting in in time.. :/

Like I said, I normally put up with this but wasn't having it after that.

people bitch about bad tanks/healers/dps in FC chat and then say stuff like "I'm just going to let them die, that'll teach them" without even explaining to them what they are doing wrong.

Funnily enough, the Dragoon was a good player. I honestly think he just found it funny. Or he was impatient since I was doing a full run

Edit: also a note, I wonder why most people (even in guildhests where you can go back to the start with no penalty and get right back into it) wait to be rezzed even after the fight when returning to the start means you have no weakness. Seems weird to me *shrug*

Pancho

Qurupancho
In those situations I like to tell the player not to do that. They might not know they shouldn't or have had other players put up with it and roll with it without saying anything. Always better to explain why they shouldn't do it than to conspire with the healer to let them die to teach them a lesson. IF they don't speak english you can try the auto translate to get the message across like (aggro) (no thank you) <DRG name>. If they keep doing it after you are nice and explain then yeah, let them learn the hard way.

IF they understand and give a reason like "yeah well other groups are ok with it" then you know they understand and can just ask them not to for this run. I'm just sick of hearing people bitch about bad tanks/healers/dps in FC chat and then say stuff like "I'm just going to let them die, that'll teach them" without even explaining to them what they are doing wrong.

The majority of them are super jerks tho and know what they're doing. Even if you tell them, they ignore you and keep doing it anyways.
Has happened to me so many times.

iammeiam

I continue to live in a magical land with bizarro DF where I think sub-5% of runs have actually involved things being so bad a kick/bail/leave for dead has been necessary. I think four or five runs so far in expansion have required some kind of thing behind just dealing with it.

I live in constant fear of stumbling into the DF the rest of you are stuck with. For the most part people have either been adjustable to (and TBH the adjustment breaks up the monotony) or at least semi willing to listen. Yeah, you get tons of "what's a cooldown?" tanks or bards that pop everything including Mantra before Wide Volleying two targets, but for the most part that's easy to work around.

I continue to live in a magical land with bizarro DF where I think sub-5% of runs have actually involved things being so bad a kick/bail/leave for dead has been necessary. I think four or five runs so far in expansion have required some kind of thing behind just dealing with it.

I live in constant fear of stumbling into the DF the rest of you are stuck with. For the most part people have either been adjustable to (and TBH the adjustment breaks up the monotony) or at least semi willing to listen. Yeah, you get tons of "what's a cooldown?" tanks or bards that pop everything including Mantra before Wide Volleying two targets, but for the most part that's easy to work around.

I haven't run into much issues. A wipe here or there. Someone disconnecting. Otherwise we get the job done.

Just hit 50 on my WHM today and closing in on the end of the Main Quest (I think?). I want to give a huge thanks to gaffers that held my hand and dropped knowledge bombs around the 40-49 content. I'd still call myself new but I'm not as overwhelmed as I was before.

The only thing now is gear. I have no idea what sort of progression path I should be taking to improve my stuff. Someone in FC chat recommended the market board so I ended up dropping most of the money I've saved since the beginning on ilvl 115 stuff. I got a new cane and some accessories but I'm still kitted out in artifact gear (which looks awesome). Average ilvl is like 90 or something. I am absolutely clueless with regards to crafting and materia.

Is it too soon to be worrying about this? Did I waste my gil? I'm now wondering if you just get decent gear as quest rewards once you enter heavensward content. Although reading this thread that looks like it'll take an eternity to reach. Any tips are much appreciated. Any guides I've found are fairly old so I'm not sure what dungeons or primals are considered "obsolete".

scy

Magical Christmas Land DF

dorkkaos

It's very dependent on the party comp and the pull.

Typical Mob pull (3 or more), i'll open with shield lob, and then flash them and circle of scorn. Halone combo on the main target (currently being dps'd down), flash, check the threat real quick, if i am significantly ahead in threat, i'll move on to the next mob and do halone combo, flash, if main mob needs more threat, halone combo him, then do it on the last mob. If threat is no issue, I'll add in Goring blade combo. Sheltron whenever I can. Flash in between combos. spirits within on mobs not currently the main target.

During bosses, aggro is no issue, I open with halone combo, (flash if there are adds or if boss isn't immune to blind....lol). Goring blade combo, 2 halone combos (repeat). Spam spirits within and scorn. (Goring blade dot lasts for 3 combos length, so 2 halone, then reapply goring basically, just nice to have that little bit of extra dps if threat is a none issue.). Shield slam if i'm low on TP (rarely happens, but yeah).

Top Bottom