• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Klyka

Banned
I was in an Aery run yesterday where I as a NIN did more DPS than the BRD and DRK in my group combined.

We wiped on Nidhogg once, then we gave the BRD some tips and told him to please just hit all his attack buttons and very barely managed it.

Stuart444

Just hit 50 on my WHM today and closing in on the end of the Main Quest (I think?). I want to give a huge thanks to gaffers that held my hand and dropped knowledge bombs around the 40-49 content. I'd still call myself new but I'm not as overwhelmed as I was before.

The only thing now is gear. I have no idea what sort of progression path I should be taking to improve my stuff. Someone in FC chat recommended the market board so I ended up dropping most of the money I've saved since the beginning on ilvl 115 stuff. I got a new cane and some accessories but I'm still kitted out in artifact gear (which looks awesome). Average ilvl is like 90 or something. I am absolutely clueless with regards to crafting and materia.

Is it too soon to be worrying about this? Did I waste my gil? I'm now wondering if you just get decent gear as quest rewards once you enter heavensward content. Although reading this thread that looks like it'll take an eternity to reach. Any tips are much appreciated. Any guides I've found are fairly old so I'm not sure what dungeons or primals are considered "obsolete".

Glad to see you're 50 now :)

I'd say it was a waste myself considering you get ilvl 115 stuff during the start of the HW story from quests. You only need to be around i90 - i100 for most of the patch 2.1 - 2.5 story.

But on the bright side, you're pretty much set until Heavensward.

If you need any help though, feel free to message me on here or in game :) (UK timezone though so unless it's very late in the UK, I can help out whenever if you need any help :) )

edit: I also recommend getting Swiftcast ASAP if you haven't yet

As someone who mains healers I fully admit I have intentionally let dps die who don't bother moving out of attacks and will refuse to revive them if I feel whatever is being done can be finished without them.

I've noticed this happening more and more. Hell even a friend who is an excellent monk admitted letting himself get hit by avoidable AoEs because he knew the healer was going to heal him and he wanted to get more dps.

Stuart444

As someone who mains healers I fully admit I have intentionally let dps die who don't bother moving out of attacks and will refuse to revive them if I feel whatever is being done can be finished without them.

I've noticed this happening more and more. Hell even a friend who is an excellent monk admitted letting himself get hit by avoidable AoEs because he knew the healer was going to heal him and he wanted to get more dps.

I have done such things as standing in aoes so I can get my rotations/positional's off.

I almost always when I do this use Second Wind though so the healer shouldn't need to worry too much. >.>

iammeiam

I dunno, in a lot of dungeon fights I'm kind of okay with DPS eating the occasional bonus damage if it's easily survivable and speeds up the kill. I'm less okay with it if it's clear the fight is going out-of-control and I need to conserve MP, but then you kind of rely on DPS to know the difference.

Then again, my new favorite thing in The Vault as a healer is intentionally running into exploding puddles on the second boss if they're interfering with melee positioning so nobody has to move. I can Esuna myself, healing requirements in the fight are fairly low, gotta have something to do.

xLwOz1L.jpg

Thanks for the break!

Hell even a friend who is an excellent monk admitted letting himself get hit by avoidable AoEs because he knew the healer was going to heal him and he wanted to get more dps.

Isn't that sometimes a viable strategy though? I mean, most of the time you should avoid AOE, but if the party's at full health and you're trying to push a phase or something, keep that DPS going.

scy

Meh, I will totally take a hit if I have Second Wind, Bloodbath, Life Surge, etc. available (depending on class) or if I know the next actual unavoidable damage is super far away and natural in-combat regen deals with most of it. DPS have tools to deal with taking a hit. Which is different than just taking everything.

Zomba13

I hope all these bad healers who would rather DPS than heal someone hit by an AoE at least tell their team mates to avoid the AoEs or they won't heal.

I mean, otherwise it just seems like the healers are being lazy or focusing on doing DPS. Maybe those DPS bitch in their FC about the bad healers?

As a Bard I can make an effort to avoid all AoEs and keep dishing out damage on the fly.

I tried out Wanderer's Minuet and really kills how I play my Bard.

Klyka

Banned
I once told a healer in a dungeon there was no need to heal me, just focus on the tank, I won't get hit much and what little I can't avoid I heal myself.

Man basically started crying because all he ever heard from dps was "shit healer,start healing me more!"

fedexpeon

Banned
Isn't that sometimes a viable strategy though? I mean, most of the time you should avoid AOE, but if the party's at full health and you're trying to push a phase or something, keep that DPS going.

It is.
It is the same as why tanks go in DPS stance after a few enmity rotations in boss fight.

I don't like it when healer sits there and monitors HP bar without dpsing...Every time I see their mana bar at 80-90% and the tank HP bar barely moves, why don't they do something more meaningful?
I know when I was a healer doing dungeon runs, I spam all my mana to dps and tab around to heal just enough to get to the next fight.
Am I playing a healer wrong? Same with full party group, some healers don't time their heal to be in sync with the hits and countering boss special.
They react after the fact, and not being pro-active before the fact.

Klyka

Banned
It is.
It is the same as why tanks go in DPS stance after a few enmity rotations in boss fight.

I don't like it when healer sits there and monitors HP bar without dpsing...Every time I see their mana bar at 80-90% and the tank HP bar barely moves, why don't they do something more meaningful?
I know when I was a healer doing dungeon runs, I spam all my mana to dps and tab around to heal just enough to get to the next fight.
Am I playing a healer wrong? Same with full party group, some healers don't time their heal to be in sync with the hits and countering boss special.

brb parsing your overheals

iammeiam

I dunno, I just tend to roll an AOE heal if I'm healing and expect it to handle most things. I'm going to spend as much time DPSing as I can because lolnotreallyahealer, but have to drop out of Clerics occasionally to heal the tank and refresh regens. I can spare a GCD or two for DPS healing at that point, no problem. If you're taking so much damage I need to heal you before the tank, you're probably screwing up somehow. If the tank isn't rolling cooldowns and I can't clerics, I'm probably already grouchy and over healing anyway.

It's situational, but in the post-Minuet/post-GB world I do occasionally eat a thing if it doesn't seem like a big deal (I intentionally eat lit squares on the final Fractal boss so I can LB the line of adds and feel badass for like... Five seconds), so I can't really begrudge anyone else doing it.

It is.

This works for some healers better than others.

As an AST I'll throw my DoT spells out but I'm not going full dps while playing a AST, too risky for that job. Of course its entirely situational. Like I've seen healers try to stance dance during Alexander. No stop doing that you are causing more trouble than you are helping. And stressing the healer who isn't stance dancing.

Stuart444

Meh, I will totally take a hit if I have Second Wind, Bloodbath, Life Surge, etc. available (depending on class) or if I know the next actual unavoidable damage is super far away and natural in-combat regen deals with most of it. DPS have tools to deal with taking a hit. Which is different than just taking everything.

Indeed. Taking a hit and then using a full powered Full Thrust + life surge hit is enough to put me near full health if it's during that combo that I get hit for instance. Granted, not all DPS know the difference between what they should/can eat and what they probably shouldn't.

I hope all these bad healers who would rather DPS than heal someone hit by an AoE at least tell their team mates to avoid the AoEs or they won't heal.

I mean, otherwise it just seems like the healers are being lazy or focusing on doing DPS. Maybe those DPS bitch in their FC about the bad healers?

Tbf, as a healer, unless unavoidable dmg is about to happen, you can generally just keep dpsing and then when needed, stop and heal everyone with some aoe heals.

Not everyone needs to be at full health all the time. (though yeah there is some healers who literally dps the whole time and don't realize til half the group is dead that they should stop and heal people)

I once told a healer in a dungeon there was no need to heal me, just focus on the tank, I won't get hit much and what little I can't avoid I heal myself.

I do the same thing my with pocket healer. She usually likes to make sure the party is topped up most of the time so when I know I'll be okay, I just tell her "Don't worry about me, I'm okay".

Unless it's unavoidable dmg, I can probably get back to full health quickly with life surge, bloodbath, second wind while dodging avoidable dmg.

It's all about knowing what you can take and what your party can take depending on your role in the battle :)

If they are learning a dungeon/bosses, I'd always prefer them to not dps until they feel comfortable. If they know the dungeon well enough/should know it well enough then I'd agree that they should dps more.

Depends on the person and their knowledge :)

scy

Eh, AST has really good tools for switching out of Cleric into emergency heals. If anything, they're the best at suddenly bursting numbers, albeit gated by RNG (and/or gated by Essential Dignity being up but, really, that's what it's there for).

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I was doing Dzemael Darkhold as a Healer for the first time (Leveling my Astrologian) yesterday and I ended up with a group who had no experience in the dungeon or forgot the mechanics of the dungeon.

The All-seeing Eye hit the Party (but me of course) plenty of times because none of them could figure out to stand in the crystal light to get the Crystal Veil buff and avoid taking so much damage from him and I had to remind them of such thing.

The BLM gave me a cheeky responds about not needing to dodge AoEs because I would simply heal him and I responded by letting him jump into the fray and getting himself killed when I refuseed to heal him.

So as a Lv.45 Astrologian and this being my first Healer Class I have come to appreciate 2 things so far:

-I appreciate a player's ability to dodge simple things instead of muscling through and I end up wasting time/mp that I could have used for other things (Such as helping DPS).

-I appreciate the role of a Healer in a group and what they have to deal with.

Eh, AST has really good tools for switching out of Cleric into emergency heals. If anything, they're the best at suddenly bursting numbers, albeit gated by RNG (and/or gated by Essential Dignity being up but, really, that's what it's there for).
AST's tools do not compare to White Mage and Scholar tools which do not relay on RNG.

Think about it. Out of all three healer classes which would you turn to to get you out of a jam quickly? Not Ast and I love the class but I also understand the limitations and no Lightspeed is a terrible spell to use for emergency heals because it is actively acting against the user due to extreme potency loss.

Stuart444

The All-seeing Eye hit the Party (but me of course) plenty of times because none of them could figure out to stand in the crystal light to get the Crystal Veil buff and avoid taking so much damage from him and I had to remind them of such thing.

How? I mean, it teaches you that way before the first boss. Even on my first run, I figured it out quickly.

This community is so weird with the pressure put on non-DPS in casual content. Everyone is in a "GO GO GO GO GO" mentality where maximum DPS and efficiency needs to be going on at all times. Tanks need to pull large, healers need to DPS when there's nothing else to do, and DPS need to do their job.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and at endgame it's pretty important (and this is true for most MMOs). However this game spreads it through all areas of content, even low level experiences. I've never played a MMO where a healer was asked to do anything but heal in a leveling dungeon, or the tank would pull large groups. Endgame is another story.

I think the only one that comes close is DCUO, where everyone's DPS matters as everyone is DPSing at all stages of the game. (DPS directly relates to mana efficiency).

For the record, not criticizing or suggesting it's bad, just an observation. I actually enjoy playing SCH most out of the healers as I can get by DPSing for most of those dungeons, lol.

iammeiam

WHM has better oh shit buttons for when things go really wrong, but pre-60 AST's ED + Swiftcast Benefic 2 let me let tanks dip way lower than I could while leveling WHM without needing to burn a major CD like Bene.

I feel like I could get more Gravity casts off on trash in Clerics than Holy casts, even though Holy has the stun alongside.

Bole even let me force CD effects on tanks that refused to CD.

scy

AST's tools do not compare to White Mage and Scholar tools which do not relay on RNG.

They don't but this was just about being able to DPS + Heal, nothing more nothing less. For that kind of play, they have everything they need. If things go awful, yes, AST has worse tools for that but that wasn't the subject at hand.

This community is so weird with the pressure put on non-DPS in casual content. Everyone is in a "GO GO GO GO GO" mentality where maximum DPS and efficiency needs to be going on at all times. Tanks need to pull large, healers need to DPS when there's nothing else to do, and DPS need to do their job.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and at endgame it's pretty important (and this is true for most MMOs). However this game spreads it through all areas of content, even low level experiences. I've never played a MMO where a healer was asked to do anything but heal in a leveling dungeon, or the tank would pull large groups. Endgame is another story.

I think the only one that comes close is DCUO, where everyone's DPS matters as everyone is DPSing at all stages of the game. (DPS directly relates to mana efficiency).

For the record, not criticizing or suggesting it's bad, just an observation. I actually enjoy playing SCH most out of the healers as I can get by DPSing for most of those dungeons, lol.
Well healer dps isn't a universal expectation because at the end of the day you'd rather a healer stand around doing nothing but healing than trying to dps and the party wiping because of it. Plus I've yet to be in a group that I was asked/expected to dps unless it was a unique situation.

i.e. DPS not meeting dps check.

Course in that situation it is because the dps are shit and not doing their primary job.

WolvenOne

I just realized that I can never play Astrologian, because I lost my Essential Dignity back during SCoB. *rimshot.*

.....I'll show myself out.

Glad to see you're 50 now :)

I'd say it was a waste myself considering you get ilvl 115 stuff during the start of the HW story from quests. You only need to be around i90 - i100 for most of the patch 2.1 - 2.5 story.

But on the bright side, you're pretty much set until Heavensward.

If you need any help though, feel free to message me on here or in game :) (UK timezone though so unless it's very late in the UK, I can help out whenever if you need any help :) )

edit: I also recommend getting Swiftcast ASAP if you haven't yet

Cheers buddy! The grind wasn't actually as severe as I'd dreaded. 46 onwards was a bit of a pain with the lack of story stuff. The challenge log refresh was a godsend.

Yeah I kinda regretted blowing the cash shortly after. I guess I was blinded by the stats of the market board items compared to say, my level 28 earrings :D Oh well at least I'll still get some benefit out of replacing my artifact gear eventually from rewards.

Much appreciated! I'm in the same time zone and I'll try my best to not make you regret that offer :)

Oh yeah... that. I was originally going to hold out until I get my referral hat in a couple weeks. I've heard other people convey how essential it is so I might just grit my teeth and hammer out the levels tomorrow.

They don't but this was just about being able to DPS + Heal, nothing more nothing less. For that kind of play, they have everything they need. If things go awful, yes, AST has worse tools for that but that wasn't the subject at hand.
Point taken.

Though I've always felt in a AST's case they really don't need to sit there wasting mana trying to help dps when their card buffs are actively helping the group dps anyway.

Sorian

Banned
-I appreciate a player's ability to dodge simple things instead of muscling through and I end up wasting time/mp that I could have used for other things (Such as helping DPS).

Is your low dps worth needing an actual dps to move out of something that is easily healable so that their dps suffers? Something worth thinking about.

As a BLM juggling enochian at level 60, I can say that I've been learning just how much most aoes will hit me for because if I still have enochian on 30 seconds of cd and it's either move and lose the buff or finish my blizz IV cast and take the hit, I will take the hit 100% of the time.

Why stop at dpsing? If your fairy is so pro at healing you should be out there in the world making money and becoming the next billionaire.

Or working out, contribute to that healthy lifestyle!

Or better yet, contribute to cancer research.

Is your low dps worth needing an actual dps to move out of something that is easily healable so that their dps suffers? Something worth thinking about.

As a BLM juggling enochian at level 60, I can say that I've been learning just how much most aoes will hit me for because if I still have enochian on 30 seconds of cd and it's either move and lose the buff or finish my blizz IV cast and take the hit, I will take the hit 100% of the time.
Yeah, BLM really teaches you that.

Also Manaward is fucking amazing. It's probably my favorite ability since Manawall got rekt.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Haha, what? One single-target ability on a 40s cooldown? I understand why early levels make it seem like that's a good tool, but in serious content it will never compare.

Stuart444

Cheers buddy! The grind wasn't actually as severe as I'd dreaded. 46 onwards was a bit of a pain with the lack of story stuff. The challenge log refresh was a godsend.

Yeah I kinda regretted blowing the cash shortly after. I guess I was blinded by the stats of the market board items compared to say, my level 28 earrings :D Oh well at least I'll still get some benefit out of replacing my artifact gear eventually from rewards.

Much appreciated! I'm in the same time zone and I'll try my best to not make you regret that offer :)

Oh yeah... that. I was originally going to hold out until I get my referral hat in a couple weeks. I've heard other people convey how essential it is so I might just grit my teeth and hammer out the levels tomorrow.

Yay, same timezone. Makes things less complicated if you need any help or just want some company :p haha.

Things used to be worse during that 46+ levels, it's not too bad now in comparison.

scy

Haha, what? One single-target ability on a 40s cooldown?

Again, for dungeon Cleric-stance swapping situations? That's a single niche they're highly functional in. They're perfectly equipped for this specific instance.

Edit:

I understand why early levels make it seem like that's a good tool, but in serious content it will never compare.

good thing that was never the subject of debate

Though, I will note that you're probably right in general too? Like, this might end up just not scaling properly even in dungeons down the road.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
How? I mean, it teaches you that way before the first boss. Even on my first run, I figured it out quickly.

The Tank (Who was a Darknight who later admitted he had completely forgotten what to do in the dungeon) pulled the first mob a few steps away from the first cluster of crystals and him along with the two DPS players (The BLM with T13 Gear Glamor and an obviously new Monk Player) just stood there attacking the Adds while the All-seeing Eye hit them with 4 AoE Attacks every time he flew by and for good measure the Tank did attempted to Aggro/Grab the All-seeing Eye twice.

That was just an example I used and maybe different players with different Classes have a different mindset but as a Bard I always try to dodge everything that I could possibly dodge.So it's just a minor annoyance that I have to get used to.

but Gravity looks cool
Another point to scy.

That was just an example I used and maybe different players with different Classes have a different mindset but as a Bard I always try to dodge everything that I could possibly dodge.So it's just a minor annoyance that I have to get used to.
I think with Bards and MCH for that matter is the fact they can move and still attack. They literally have no excuse to be getting hit by anything avoidable except "I MUST GET MAX DEEPS AND HAVE BEST PARSE IN GROUP!!"

Silvawuff

I freely admit when I'm healing I've let people die that either stand in stuff, have an attitude, or face pull before the tank has a chance to establish aggro (usually all three at once).

If people are tired of sitting in long queues they should reconsider how they treat people that step up to heal or tank.

JamesAR15

Can anyone recommend a server for a newcomer? It's been a long time since I've been into MMO's but I've really been getting the itch lately.

Top Bottom