• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Zomba13

I freely admit when I'm healing I've let people die that either stand in stuff, have an attitude, or face pull before the tank has a chance to establish aggro (usually all three at once).

If people are tired of sitting in long queues they should reconsider how they treat people that step up to heal or tank.

Maybe they will do that if they get told about what they are doing wrong instead of just being left to die with no explanation.

iammeiam

TBH I've seen more tanks I'd like to let die out of pettiness than DPS lately, and uh, four out of five actually bad beyond just minorly eye roll bad DF experiences post-expansion were due to the tank or healer. Tank/healer privilege is a thing.

WolvenOne

I freely admit when I'm healing I've let people die that either stand in stuff, have an attitude, or face pull before the tank has a chance to establish aggro (usually all three at once).

If people are tired of sitting in long queues they should reconsider how they treat people that step up to heal or tank.

I let a couple DPS die for running in and pulling the boss before the healer had even caught up with the group (let alone before putting up the buffs.) Hey, if they're so eager to pull it, than they can tank it. Five minutes later, after a volley of verbal abuse, the healer left and the DPS *whom apparently queued together,* vote kicked me for harassment. <_<;;

To be clear, normally if another player is simply making a mistake, I'll usually try to cover them. Dungeons are casual content, they're just not worth the trouble of confronting other players about their shortcomings so long as you're clearing. However, if it's clear that is not a mistake and that players are doing things like, running ahead to grab extra mobs, pulling bosses before buffs, or otherwise being willfully difficult, then I'll consider just letting them keep whatever they've pulled.

Alrus

I'll usually try to heal everyone because I really feel bad when someone in my party dies. Unless they're really not putting any effort and are actively hurting my efficiency to heal the tank (causing wipes sometimes), then I'll just leave them dead.

Again, for dungeon Cleric-stance swapping situations? That's a single niche they're highly functional in. They're perfectly equipped for this specific instance.

Edit:

good thing that was never the subject of debate

Though, I will note that you're probably right in general too? Like, this might end up just not scaling properly even in dungeons down the road.

I don't really understand this, wouldn't a SCH with Lustrate be more efficient as far as burst heal go? What makes the AST so much better at stance dancing than the others? Especially at 60, WHM have instant 700 potency heal on 60s cooldown, SCH still have lustrate + swiftcast emergency tactics adlo, I don't see how ED would be better for stance dancing than those.

Can anyone recommend a server for a newcomer? It's been a long time since I've been into MMO's but I've really been getting the itch lately.

can choose any that you want to. The gaf fc is on Ultros server and there are other gaf fc's on other servers as listed in the OP

A question to see if this is a gamewide or if it is just a Balmung server thing:

I'm on Balmung and it is standard practice for people to shout out the position of Marks they come across while travelling across the new maps. Does this happen on other servers?

There are also linkshells dedicated to hunting and some are apparently very haughty and full of themselves.

scy

I don't really understand this, wouldn't a SCH with Lustrate be more efficient as far as burst heal go? What makes the AST so much better at stance dancing than the others?

It's not really about being outright better just that, again, that specific situation is something they're actually equipped for. They're not very good at shit-hitting-the-fan for everyone type of things. One target dipping low in a controlled environment, though? That's kind of the one thing their kit lets them take care of really well. For Cleric Stancing your way through content, they're just as equipped for this. That was the only point I was responding to, that they're just as equipped for doing this as other healers.

Stuart444

A question to see if this is a gamewide or if it is just a Balmung server thing:

I'm on Balmung and it is standard practice for people to shout out the position of Marks they come across while travelling across the new maps. Does this happen on other servers?

It happens on Ultros sometimes. Whenever I see marks, I usually shout them out in FC/Shout depending on if I'm in a rush or not lol.

Usually things only get shouted when people come across B ranks for people or during hunt trains for As/S'

Ferr986

So I just did a Main Scenario trial for the first time since I left on 2.2...

Holy shit i felt bad. There was one new dude, he didn't even have the guts to ask for watching the CS.
Not only that, but the overgear makes the bosses a fucking joke. Gaius and Ultima weapon were fun as hell when it was new, now its just a 4 mins zerg. Oh well....

Sorian

Banned
I've recently started low level tanking. I'm probably trash but no one has let me die purposely yet so that's pretty good (actually I've only died once since I've started and its because the healer d/c'd).

WolvenOne

So I just did a Main Scenario trial for the first time since I left on 2.2...

Holy shit i felt bad. There was one new dude, he didn't even have the guts to ask for watching the CS.
Not only that, but the overgear makes the bosses a fucking joke. Gaius and Ultima weapon were fun as hell when it was new, now its just a 4 mins zerg. Oh well....

Yeeeeeaaah....

Honestly, while there's something to be said for overgearing through content (It's nice when you have to farm a dungeon for Relic or whatnot,) I hope that they make better use of ilvl caps this time around. I can already tell that once you have a four person party that's ilvl 190 you'll be able to just plow through Fractal pretty darn flipping fast, and 190 isn't even the level cap for this raid cycle. Obviously out gearing dungeons isn't as bad as out-gearing trials, but some level capping of some content would probably be a good idea.

Sorian

Banned
Yeeeeeaaah....

Honestly, while there's something to be said for overgearing through content (It's nice when you have to farm a dungeon for Relic or whatnot,) I hope that they make better use of ilvl caps this time around. I can already tell that once you have a four person party that's ilvl 190 you'll be able to just plow through Fractal pretty darn flipping fast, and 190 isn't even the level cap for this raid cycle. Obviously out gearing dungeons isn't as bad as out-gearing trials, but some level capping of some content would probably be a good idea.

No, they level capped dungeons near the end of the 2.x series and it was miserable.

Zomba13

I've recently started low level tanking. I'm probably trash but no one has let me die purposely yet so that's pretty good (actually I've only died once since I've started and its because the healer d/c'd).

That was actually the healer passive aggressively telling you that you were a bad. They later bitched to their FC about you.

Sorian

Banned
That was actually the healer passive aggressively telling you that you were a bad. They later bitched to their FC about you.

Hmm, between reading this thread and reddit for long enough, that is actually a strong possibility.

"I'll alt+F4 just as he pulls, that'll teach him to tank better. Gonna take my time putting in my security key too"

WolvenOne

No, they level capped dungeons near the end of the 2.x series and it was miserable.

Only for that last stretch of the Relic grind, where you had to run dungeons over and over and over and over. You could farm those dungeons pretty darn fast even at ilvl 110, for most instances that cap was a big nothing.

Rather, I hope that they simply don't do a Relic step like that again. Hopefully they'll tie it to, I dunno, PVP, or airship exploration, or something. Even without the cap, that step could get pretty frustrating.

Sorian

Banned
Only for that last stretch of the Relic grind, where you had to run dungeons over and over and over and over. You could farm those dungeons pretty darn fast even at ilvl 110, for most instances that cap was a big nothing.

No, if you remember, they capped them then temporarily lifted the cap for a few weeks when dungeon atma first dropped then re-capped it again. I ran plenty during cap and uncapped, the difference was always felt.

WolvenOne

No, if you remember, they capped them then temporarily lifted the cap for a few weeks when dungeon atma first dropped then re-capped it again. I ran plenty during cap and uncapped, the difference was always felt.

I remember, what I was saying was that the cap was a big fat nothingburger for any activity, "except," for doing that stage of the Relic. I think a better solution is simply not to design a relic grind step that way.

iammeiam

ILevel cap was annoying because it was high enough everything was still faceroll braindead easy; it didn't preserve the original difficulty at all, it was just an arbitrary limitation on how silly things were allowed to get. Limit for the sake of having a limit rather than for it serving any purpose; they'd have to cap closer to minimum iLevel for the cap to really mean anything.

Sorian

Banned
I remember, what I was saying was that the cap was a big fat nothingburger for any activity, "except," for doing that stage of the Relic. I think a better solution is simply not to design a relic grind step that way.

If the conversation in here has been anything to go by, I think less reason to run old content wouldn't be a wise decision. The dungeon atma step was very smart, so was the light steps. Yes, light could be gamed by throttling Garuda
my favorite past time
but because of that step, this conversation probably happened a lot more:

"Hey, I'm going to queue for xxx, anyone want to come with?"

"Sure, it's better than farming <light bonus primal> because I need a break."

As opposed to now where the conversation in GAF is usually:

Hey, I'm going to queue for xxx, anyone want to come with?"

<silence>

WolvenOne

ILevel cap was annoying because it was high enough everything was still faceroll braindead easy; it didn't preserve the original difficulty at all, it was just an arbitrary limitation on how silly things were allowed to get. Limit for the sake of having a limit rather than for it serving any purpose; they'd have to cap closer to minimum iLevel for the cap to really mean anything.

Oh, I'd agree to an extent, though I wouldn't go as far. I'd say, limit it to either the current ilvl cap that was achievable when that dungeon was introduced, or slightly below that cap. That way you can overgear to an extent, which is good when you're paired up with newer players, but you can never make it outright silly.

If the conversation in here has been anything to go by, I think less reason to run old content wouldn't be a wise decision. The dungeon atma step was very smart, so was the light steps. Yes, light could be gamed by throttling Garuda
my favorite past time
but because of that step, this conversation probably happened a lot more:

"Hey, I'm going to queue for xxx, anyone want to come with?"

"Sure, it's better than farming <light bonus primal> because I need a break."

As opposed to now where the conversation in GAF is usually:

Hey, I'm going to queue for xxx, anyone want to come with?"

<silence>

Requiring people to run older dungeons isn't a bad idea, but setting the RNG so that you might have to run a single dungeon 30+ times to get your drop is a bad idea. The RNG for that step was, REALLY weird.

Hi guys, I have a question. I've been playing FF14 on the PC (EU servers) for a month now and really enjoying it. Recently purchased Heavensward as well. Now I'm thinking of getting the game for the PS4 too for when I feel like comfy couch gaming. The thing is, my main PSN account is a US one and I always prefer buying my games from the US PS store (due to better prices). Can I buy FF14 from the US store and use my EU PC account on it? Or will I need to make the purchase from an EU store?

Sorian

Banned
Requiring people to run older dungeons isn't a bad idea, but setting the RNG so that you might have to run a single dungeon 30+ times to get your drop is a bad idea. The RNG for that step was, REALLY weird.

As someone who farms for cards, the RNG in that step was baby mode. They made it just as hard as FATE atma imo. I think they wanted a similar time investment and on average, they probably succeeded. The worst part of that step was most of the dungeon atma was max level stuff but then they snuck in DD and AV, that was where it was really frowned upon.

Hi guys, I have a question. I've been playing FF14 on the PC (EU servers) for a month now and really enjoying it. Recently purchased Heavensward as well. Now I'm thinking of getting the game for the PS4 too for when I feel like comfy couch gaming. The thing is, my main PSN account is a US one and I always prefer buying my games from the US PS store (due to better prices). Can I buy FF14 from the US store and use my EU PC account on it? Or will I need to make the purchase from an EU store?

Everything on your account has to be the same region so if your account started as an EU account then everything else added will have to be EU as well.

mileS

I was in an Aery run yesterday where I as a NIN did more DPS than the BRD and DRK in my group combined.

We wiped on Nidhogg once, then we gave the BRD some tips and told him to please just hit all his attack buttons and very barely managed it.

What does everyone use for tracking dps? This game doesn't seem nearly as friendly to add-ons as WoW or some other MMO's. I just worry about getting banned. I know its easy for some to say "well they haven't banned anyone yet for it" but in my experience, it can happen at any moment really.

Really really enjoying the Ninja so far. Coming off of playing WoW it's just so much more engaging for me. The last WoW expansion made some classes over simplified. My Hunter no longer has any cool downs to pop and has a rotation of about 3 buttons. It's almost disgusting what they did to that game :( Sorry I'm off on a rant and don't want to make this a WoW vs other MMO's discussion and take things off topic.

Besides Mudra lag (ugh why) and the confusion as to why you can't use your stealth opener on a boss (did they ever give a reason why? it seems silly to have such important skills that you can only use on trash mobs.) That about covers my issues with the job. Love everything else. Overall it seems extremely polished to me. Not sure what job to start next.

scy

As someone who farms for cards, the RNG in that step was baby mode. They made it just as hard as FATE atma imo. I think they wanted a similar time investment and on average, they probably succeeded. The worst part of that step was most of the dungeon atma was max level stuff but then they snuck in DD and AV, that was where it was really frowned upon..

There was DD/AV to it but the biggest annoyance to me was that it was four separate quests with varying steps? It made it really hard to grab random people to go do things unless they happened to be on the same step (+ RNG so sometimes they got it before you).

Sorian

Banned
There was DD/AV to it but the biggest annoyance to me was that it was four separate quests with varying steps? It made it really hard to grab random people to go do things unless they happened to be on the same step (+ RNG so sometimes they got it before you).

I agree there, FATE atma was smarter in that you could tackle it in any way that you wanted.

WolvenOne

As someone who farms for cards, the RNG in that step was baby mode. They made it just as hard as FATE atma imo. I think they wanted a similar time investment and on average, they probably succeeded. The worst part of that step was most of the dungeon atma was max level stuff but then they snuck in DD and AV, that was where it was really frowned upon.

"I've seen worse grinds," isn't really a compelling argument, and to be clear, I'm not actually opposed to a grind. I'm merely opposed to a grind that's determined entirely by RNG. If I had to farm each dungeon time times flat, I probably would've ended up running dungeons more times in total, but it would've been far easier to gauge my progress and to go as a pace that was less likely to burn me out.

PS: Also it would be far less likely that a person would get stuck having to run AV thirty times, or whatnot. Nobody should have to get stuck with that sort of cruddy RNG. D:

neoemonk

I decided to learn tanking on DRK. It can be pretty nerve racking as I don't want to suck but I think there's only one way to not suck and that's to run the content a bunch.

Sorian

Banned
"I've seen worse grinds," isn't really a compelling argument, and to be clear, I'm not actually opposed to a grind. I'm merely opposed to a grind that's determined entirely by RNG. If I had to farm each dungeon time times flat, I probably would've ended up running dungeons more times in total, but it would've been far easier to gauge my progress and to go as a pace that was less likely to burn me out.

I'd rather take the gamble for that very reason. It sounds like you want them to do the thing they are slowly gravitating towards anyway. This drop is luck based, you may get it or you may not every single time you run the thing, but, if you are unlucky, you will also automatically get the thing after x amount of clears. The raids are already going down this path, I'd be surprised if historically heavy RNG things don't start going down this path too (relics, cards from NPCs, etc.).

MogCakes

I sometimes like to fire off a geirskogul if my BotD is about to run out at a boss or a mob. It's an impulse desire. FIRE YOUR LASER, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

WolvenOne

I'd rather take the gamble for that very reason. It sounds like you want them to do the thing they are slowly gravitating towards anyway. This drop is luck based, you may get it or you may not every single time you run the thing, but, if you are unlucky, you will also automatically get the thing after x amount of clears. The raids are already going down this path, I'd be surprised if historically heavy RNG things don't start going down this path too (relics, cards from NPCs, etc.).

I would hope so. I mean sure, you could get lucky and get things on your first try, but then there are people whom are at the opposite end of the scale and are stuck with cringe-worthy grinds, (Like running AV thirty times.)

As for why this would off-set the presence of a level cap somewhat, that would mostly be due to the psychological effect. It'd turn it into more of a marathon than a sprint, so dashing through each dungeon at absurd speeds would feel somewhat less important.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
VIZ2hNG.jpg

(Image via Reddit)
So crafting AF2 are blues meaning it's 95% probable that it's not meldable, not craftable and is obtained with scrips. Final destination.

I got another lil nitpick: I feel like the main questline has way, WAYY too much filler. I feel like it would work much better if there was one or few main quests per few levels. Make them more of an event like the class specific ones with good story and gear payoff. I have been like 4+ levels over the recommended main quest levels because I happened to do some stuff on the side and it feels forever to catch up to me even when I skip every single sidequest I come across.

I got another lil nitpick: I feel like the main questline has way, WAYY too much filler. I feel like it would work much better if there was one or few main quests per few levels. Make them more of an event like the class specific ones with good story and gear payoff. I have been like 4+ levels over the recommended main quest levels because I happened to do some stuff on the side and it feels forever to catch up to me even when I skip every single sidequest I come across.

it gets better in HW unless you're talking about HW

WolvenOne

(Image via Reddit)
So crafting AF2 are blues meaning it's 95% probable that it's not meldable, not craftable and is obtained with scrips. Final destination.

Hmm.... torn here.

On one hand, the idea of getting all my crafters to sixty for the purpose of convenient melding was heart-burn inducing, especially this early in the expansion. On the other hand, haven't worked out a good system for earning scrips yes. Also, this is short-term bad for crafters.

Hmm

Nah, I'm currently lvl 40 doing lvl ~35 main quests.

yea pre HW a lot of the quests arent very good. HW does a better job in streamlining the main story.

You'll hit a wall in the MSQ at around 47ish so it's actually good to be overleveled. You can leave the side quests for other jobs to help them level if you want to

Slathe

Alright Gaf, I need some advice. I'm a bit of a hoarder and always want to hold onto things. Is there any reason to keep my old ironworks gear (besides gifting it to an alt) as I close in on 60? Can it be broken down into materia or is that feature still not in? Refunded for more poetics or something? Or is it worth 50gil and that's it?

Alright Gaf, I need some advice. I'm a bit of a hoarder and always want to hold onto things. Is there any reason to keep my old ironworks gear (besides gifting it to an alt) as I close in on 60? Can it be broken down into materia or is that feature still not in? Refunded for more poetics or something? Or is it worth 50gil and that's it?

you can turn it into company seals. if your desynth is high enough you can desynth them, but you probably are just gonna turn it it for company seals

dramatis

Are you leveling additional classes that can use the old ironworks gear?

If not, then you can 1) vendor it or 2) hand in to Grand Company for seals or 3) try to desynth the armor. Desynthesis is a crafter thing that requires you to level up desynth in order to be high enough ability to even attempt on ironworks.

Ironworks can't be converted to materia.

fedexpeon

Banned

I am the opposite of this.
I want more people to pull to tell the tank that the pace is going too slow or that their dps is baller status, so pull more for AOE.
And when I am tanking, I am 1000% happy when dps/healer has the incentive to pull for me instead of me dragging a mob to another pack.
This tells me that they have badass dps and the run is too slow for them.

I am the opposite of this.
I want more people to pull to tell the tank that the pace is going too slow or that their dps is baller status, so pull more for AOE.
And when I am tanking, I am 1000% happy when dps/healer has the incentive to pull for me instead of me dragging a mob to another pack.
This tells me that they have badass dps and the run is too slow for them.

lol you are like 1 out of 10000 in this

MogCakes

When I tank or heal I don't care what people do as long as it doesn't wipe the party. Though if you pull too early and one of the other party members can't make it into the arena, I will probably stay out and let you deal with the boss.

It's a game, so long as the duty is finished successfully with little to no wipes everything will be fine.

Except in a raid scenario where one of the party members can't be assed to wait for the explanation to finish or people to sort out their roles and mechanics handling. THAT is kick-able status and pure asshattery.

Top Bottom