• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Aselith

Alright Gaf, I need some advice. I'm a bit of a hoarder and always want to hold onto things. Is there any reason to keep my old ironworks gear (besides gifting it to an alt) as I close in on 60? Can it be broken down into materia or is that feature still not in? Refunded for more poetics or something? Or is it worth 50gil and that's it?

It can be desynthesized but it would take a considerable amount of money to get to that point. Desynthesizing is quite lucrative at higher levels though so it would be worth it.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I am the opposite of this.
I want more people to pull to tell the tank that the pace is going too slow or that their dps is baller status, so pull more for AOE.
And when I am tanking, I am 1000% happy when dps/healer has the incentive to pull for me instead of me dragging a mob to another pack.
This tells me that they have badass dps and the run is too slow for them.

Depends on what they grab, If you grab 10 things and get curb stomped then its not helping the group.

fedexpeon

Banned
honestly probably shouldve wondered if that was a troll response

To my post?
Nah, I am serious.

I don't hold grudge or hate it when people aggro more stuff or stand in fire in easy or farmed contents.
I have a role to play in the party, and it is inefficient to let someone dies out of spite.
Why lower your group dps and increase your chance of wiping?
If you can outheal the damage, whatever, stand in fire and I will micro-manage my healing rotation to cover the tank/dps.
If you can outdps the trash before the tank/healer die/oom, whatever, pull the whole room.

Depends on what they grab, If you grab 10 things and get curb stomped then its not helping the group.

Of course, it depends. But usually, you can just pop your CD rotation and see how it goes instead of letting the guy dies on purpose and wiping on trash because everyone gives up on seeing 10 mobs.

He he. Is that because you don't have to deal with healers letting people die out of spite, DPS pulling instead of the tank and tanks who encourage it?

Actually, healers letting people die because they take unnecessary damage repeatedly or fight mobs no one else is when they can't actually deal with them is pretty common, seeing as how it's the fastest way for wayward DPS to learn lol

There are just some MMO cultural differences that tend to result in less BS (not none, of course). Some of those are bad, like people generally having much less time to play or there being 2ch boards dedicated to exposing shit players on each server, and some are good like general politeness to strangers and a focus on efficiency.

IvorB

Actually, healers letting people die because they take unnecessary damage repeatedly or fight mobs no one else is when they can't actually deal with them is pretty common, seeing as how it's the fastest way for wayward DPS to learn lol

There are just some MMO cultural differences that tend to result in less BS (not none, of course). Some of those are bad, like people generally having much less time to play or there being 2ch boards dedicated to exposing shit players on each server, and some are good like general politeness to strangers and a focus on efficiency.

Honestly, the way people go on in here you'd think it was Bedlam in DF but in my experience it's generally pretty civilised and pleasant. Maybe I've just been lucky...

Edit: Wait... there is a message board where they call out suspected sh*t players by name?

Honestly, the way people go on in here you'd think it was Bedlam in DF but in my experience it's generally pretty civilised and pleasant. Maybe I've just been lucky...

Edit: Wait... there is a message board where they call out suspected sh*t players by name?

Yep, there are actually separate boards for each server. Going by some of the stories I seen you'd have to be pretty extreme to make it on there, though

Lanrutcon

There should be a limit to how many times a person can initiate a vote to abandon.

Also, and this is super super weird, there should be a report button. Weird thing to have in a fucking mmo, right? Just right click, report, botting, done. No filling forms, no support bullshit, just a simple item on a context menu. This is a thing that would already exist if SE gave 2 shits about cheating in their game.

Sorian

Banned
There should be a limit to how many times a person can initiate a vote to abandon.

Also, and this is super super weird, there should be a report button. Weird thing to have in a fucking mmo, right? Just right click, report, botting, done. No filling forms, no support bullshit, just a simple item on a context menu. This is a thing that would already exist if SE gave 2 shits about cheating in their game.

There is.

Sorian

Banned
Interesting. Was doing the Cryswhatevertheheck and after the first 2 wipes someone (or someones?) spammed about 7 abandon requests to the point people started swearing.

Yeah it's on a timer, I believe. Each of those abandon requests was done by a different person.

Beginner content, but on the subject of bad dps...

I ran the first trial in the game tanking as a paladin. I had zero issues with aggro, or positioning, or avoiding AOE, because it's a piss easy fight. I also had a very good scholar healing me and keeping folks topped off.

Well we still managed to wipe twice in a row. DPS wasn't avoiding his large AOE and didn't pick up the crystal type add that blows up and kills the party.

The scholar politely asked the BLM taking damage every time if he could move out of the heavy damage and pick up the add. His response, "I'm playing on my computer, not with a game pad. It's harder to avoid the AOE."

Wut.

Third try, we burn down the add and both dps die from standing in the fire. The scholar and I proceed to spend the next three minutes slowly killing the boss, popping cooldowns, potions, the whole nine yards. He might have been able to rez one, not sure what abilities they get at that power level. But afterward we shared a knowing, "That's one way to finish this..." and moved on.

Running dungeons up to almost 30 now, and I've come to love the instant queues and the guys and girls pumping out so much dps that I have to put in work. I don't mind if they even push the pace some, since tanking and fairly easy at this early level. But I've seen about 70% good, 30% stupid so far. I only tank and heal in MMOs, but I can appreciate when people really pump out the damage and consider avoiding unnecessary crap.

xezuru

As someone who hasn't played since couple patches after PVP was introduced, what's the consensus on Heavensward's dungeons and raid mechanics thus far? I've been kind of wanting to get back into the raiding fold now that the expansion is out, and level thief I guess (How are they doing in the meta).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
As someone who hasn't played since couple patches after PVP was introduced, what's the consensus on Heavensward's dungeons and raid mechanics thus far? I've been kind of wanting to get back into the raiding fold now that the expansion is out, and level thief I guess (How are they doing in the meta).
Not much in raiding content at the moment. There's only 1 raid right now, easy/story mode was launched last week while the savage version is due on Tuesday.

hamchan

I feel I've been very lucking with my duty finders. Have queued maybe 100 times, have only had a bad group once or twice. I'm on a Japanese data center, that might explain it. The bad groups have all been English speakers too, no bad Japanese groups yet.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I feel I've been very lucking with my duty finders. Have queued maybe 100 times, have only had a bad group once or twice. I'm on a Japanese data center, that might explain it. The bad groups have all been English speakers too, no bad Japanese groups yet.
Same here, I don't remember many bad groups. I wonder if all Japanese servers are like this.

Jeels

Any tips for getting gathering class from level 50 to 60? There's the new system with turning in collectibles. Anything else?

I just started using legacy as a 60 WHM and find it a lot easier to heal and not spin my my camera in dumb ways in the middle of running around in an intense fight.

Always Legacy.

I just recently started using Camera controls for a change of pace. It's different but I like that you have more control over your movement via strafing while still facing the enemy without lock-on (since I still tend to fumble turning that off when needed).

There's an option to make your character face your target when you use a spell or skill, that's what causes your camera to freak out since if you use it on a target that's not directly ahead of you, your character facing will change so when you next move your camera it will update to your character's new direction which causes that jump.

Don't know if I'll stay with it but it's made things interesting so far.

What is legacy based? I tried it once and I can't tell the different since you are still able to spin the camera and play at bird eye view.

Legacy = Camera does not update based on the direction your character is facing.

Camera based = Camera is locked to the direction that your character is facing, in addition moving left or right on the left analog stick will cause you to strafe instead of turning.

Sifl

I'm up to the Castrum Meridianum dungeon and I was doing research on it and read about it not being noob friendly. Is it still the case where you're expected to know what you're doing, or are there not people farming it anymore since the level cap increase?

Aeana

I'm up to the Castrum Meridianum dungeon and I was doing research on it and read about it not being noob friendly. Is it still the case where you're expected to know what you're doing, or are there not people farming it anymore since the level cap increase?

It's more that people are not going to wait for you to watch the cutscenes. They're going to rush ahead and finish the dungeon without you. They don't actually expect anything from you.

fedexpeon

Banned
Legacy = Camera does not update based on the direction your character is facing.

Camera based = Camera is locked to the direction that your character is facing, in addition moving left or right on the left analog stick will cause you to strafe instead of turning.

Hmm, i guess i am on legacy then but never noticed it since i play on pc. Camera based sounds awful, your environment awareness would drop no? You cant see to the far opposite direction of your character direction. Hell, can you play in bird eye view?

Sifl

It's more that people are not going to wait for you to watch the cutscenes. They're going to rush ahead and finish the dungeon without you. They don't actually expect anything from you.
Alright that's not really a big deal with me. I'll watch it at the inn or on YouTube.

Queuing 4-man content has never been an issue that I've seen on NA/EU datacenters. It's trying to queue the 24-man content (CT) which is literally like playing Russian Roulette with your soul.

I just like to say I love the HW story and the expansion in general. As far as my Job is concerned I love the new Black Mage actions. I'm glad we have to pay a little more attention to Astral and Umbrel buffs. I find nothing wrong with how Enochian works and love the mechanic. If I say they had to change anything, it would be to finish your cast of Blizzard IV if Enochian runs out before the cast finishes. Other than that I love it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Any tips for getting gathering class from level 50 to 60? There's the new system with turning in collectibles. Anything else?
Collectibles. Collectibles. GC Turn Ins. Collectibles.

Read Drama's collectibles guide on guildworks if you haven't. If you're working on fisher, pop a commercial manual as well while collectible fishing.

Hmm, i guess i am on legacy then but never noticed it since i play on pc. Camera based sounds awful, your environment awareness would drop no? You cant see to the far opposite direction of your character direction. Hell, can you play in bird eye view?

If you're standing in one spot using skills your camera position will only update when you move so you can still look around you in that case if you position your camera before using a skill.

It's probably more suited to PC where you can quickly swivel your mouse around for situational awareness.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just reached Azys Lla and goddamn at the whole
Excelsior flight cutscene.

I fucking love this game's story. So beyond anything other MMOs have done.

Tabris

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who asks/explains things when stuff goes wrong in a party.

I feel I am super patient and nice for the first couple runs of content. I will take the time to explain each boss mechanic before I pull. I'll be super understanding of any issues or low DPS or whatever. Once I have to do any content for the 3rd-4th time, I lose all my patience and rather just leave then have to explain.

So I'm a nice guy for the first 2 weeks of a patch then go back to being a dick lol.

Alrus

I've been quite lucky with DF and almost never met an outright terrible player. Mediocre ones? Yeah tons but most of the content is easily clearable with mediocre players so it's fine. Most of the time the very bad players are confined to very low level stuff that you can still pull through without their help. Aurum Vale is the exception, people have always been consistently terrible there for some reasons...

Just reached Azys Lla and goddamn at the whole
Excelsior flight cutscene.

I fucking love this game's story. So beyond anything other MMOs have done.

I loved that cutscene too, the end of the 3.0 story is really great. Makes up for the weak pay-off you get for some of the stuff built up in 2.55.

Veggy

Malboros are the worst FF monster and Aurum Vale is a dungeon full of Malboros.

Fhw1l2x.jpg

chiliboy

It's very dependent on the party comp and the pull.

Typical Mob pull (3 or more), i'll open with shield lob, and then flash them and circle of scorn. Halone combo on the main target (currently being dps'd down), flash, check the threat real quick, if i am significantly ahead in threat, i'll move on to the next mob and do halone combo, flash, if main mob needs more threat, halone combo him, then do it on the last mob. If threat is no issue, I'll add in Goring blade combo. Sheltron whenever I can. Flash in between combos. spirits within on mobs not currently the main target.

During bosses, aggro is no issue, I open with halone combo, (flash if there are adds or if boss isn't immune to blind....lol). Goring blade combo, 2 halone combos (repeat). Spam spirits within and scorn. (Goring blade dot lasts for 3 combos length, so 2 halone, then reapply goring basically, just nice to have that little bit of extra dps if threat is a none issue.). Shield slam if i'm low on TP (rarely happens, but yeah).

The way I usually do it in general is to mark targets (I have a macro that marks 1, then 2, then 3 but usually only do 1 then 2), shield lob target 1, flash once or twice, start my enmity combo (fast blade, savage blade, rage of halone) and alternate it on the enemies using the highest rank on the current mob the DPS are hitting (eg, shield lob 1, flash, flash, fast blade on 3, savage blade 2, halone 1). Depending on the level you are you might not have access to Halone so just adjust as needed. Sometimes, if the DPS is high I just focus on the current target with the full combo if I think a DPS is building too much hate.

Other than that just keep an eye on the enmity list. Tanking for a boss is pretty much the same though you just focus on the single target mostly (maybe grab an add if it is needed though most times they are handled by the DPS). When off tanking just go into DPS mode (sword oath) and switch on shield oath if adds pop up that you have to grab.

At 50+ you get new combos so you'll want to do the DoT combo when you can (after you've built up hate) and then switch to the DPS combo if you feel comfortable. Rage of Halone gives a STR debuff to mobs so that is handy for throwing on as it means less damage taken. Also remember to work in your damage mitigation cooldowns.

Thank you guys, Ill add that to my info doc I have where I keep all the good tips for FFXIV I find :D So much info to read through!

Top Bottom