• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Ozigizo

I capped MCH, but I'm thinking of leveling SMN after watching them just utterly wreck the dungeons I've been in. Balmung has pretty much stopped the MCH hate, but I still get people for stuff like the Aery in low level roulette compaining about MCH.

I'm not trying to hear that noise.

I capped MCH, but I'm thinking of leveling SMN after watching them just utterly wreck the dungeons I've been in. Balmung has pretty much stopped the MCH hate, but I still get people for stuff like the Aery in low level roulette compaining about MCH.

I'm not trying to hear that noise.

Got my MCH at 54 now and I've matched or outdone melee dps with comparable gear. It's more work to get damage out of it, but it's still there.

Just don't like having both DPS in a 4-man as MCH...lol

Ozigizo

Got my MCH at 54 now and I've matched or outdone melee dps with comparable gear. It's more work to get damage out of it, but it's still there.

Just don't like having both DPS in a 4-man as MCH...lol

You start to feel the drop off around 56. That's also when you should start using rapid fire/gauss/reload/wildfire burst to start off boss fights. But beyond the burst, if RNG deems it so, your dps can start feeling low.

SE said they are looking in to it post Alex, so expect some updates/reworks.

Going back into lower dungeons with roulette and only having 3 of my usual skills available is starting to feel weirder as my character's standard rotation becomes more and more complex.

Another thing I don't quite understand is why there's such a difference in bonus exp you get from the roulettes, I got over 200k at the end of Copperbell mines but only got like 60k from Cutter's Cry. The additional exp you get from the mobs doesn't feel like it makes up for the difference in bonus exp.

scy

Another thing I don't quite understand is why there's such a difference in bonus exp you get from the roulettes, I got over 200k at the end of Copperbell mines but only got like 60k from Cutter's Cry. The additional exp you get from the mobs doesn't feel like it makes up for the difference in bonus exp.

Because they're trying to give you the same total EXP for the two dungeons. The issue with places like Cutter's Cry is that most people skip like ... half the mobs in the dungeon.

Still, the higher level dungeons in LLDR tend to be better overall EXP even with this factored. Usually the bonus isn't enough to offset the dungeon EXP.

Because they're trying to give you the same total EXP for the two dungeons. The issue with places like Cutter's Cry is that most people skip like ... half the mobs in the dungeon.

Still, the higher level dungeons in LLDR tend to be better overall EXP even with this factored. Usually the bonus isn't enough to offset the dungeon EXP.

Yeah, I got Aurum Vale a while back and the Malrboro seeds give 10x as much exp if you let them hatch, and it's worth it at 3000 a pop

SkyOdin

Those are really charming guides that are darn good at teaching the basics of tanking. The only thing I would add to them is to emphasize that you need to watch what your team is doing. If your party is doing a lot of AoE damage, for example, you need to mix in a larger than normal amount of Flash into your combos. If your allies put mobs to sleep (I actually had someone in Tam Tara sleeping mobs the other day!), then only use Flash to generate aggro and avoid damaging the mobs. Being a tank is all about situational awareness; you need to always be paying attention to what the mobs and your allies are doing, and anticipate where to focus your hate-generation.

I guess it's mostly just in my mind then, seeing a huge bonus pop up at the end of the dungeon makes it feel more rewarding than it might actually be.

Still, as long as I don't get Brayflox again today I'm fine with whatever pops up, that dungeon is like 50% of my LLDRs.

Omni

You can get them from the market board but if you're in the GAF FC you can put a request in on the guildworks site and someone will be able to help you out.
Market board? Where is that? :p

Unfortunately I'm not in any FC right now as I'm currently playing on Lamia.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Market board? Where is that? :p

Unfortunately I'm not in any FC right now as I'm currently playing on Lamia.
Player "auction" house basically. There's a market board in each of the 3 starter cities and Ishgard, it's always in the middle of the vendor district. The 3 residential wards also have their own Market Boards.

If you're not in any fc though you won't be able to use them. You need to stable your chocobo to feed him the fruits and stables are currently only available in the residential wards so you need to either join a fc and use theirs or buy a house (good luck) and a stable for your personal use.

Omni

Player "auction" house basically. There's a market board in the shopping districts of the 3 starter cities and in their residential wards.

If you're not in any fc though you won't be able to use them. You need to stable your chocobo to feed him the fruits and stables are currently only available in the residential wards so you need to either join a fc and use theirs or buy a house (good luck) and a stable for your personal use.
I thought that may be the case, damn. I wanted a raptor blue one!

Oh well, I suppose. Thanks for the response

Done with Alex for the week because the goddess of RNG and Duty Finder smiled upon me and allowed me to win pretty much one of everything on all four floors including the gobwalker shielding.

Floor 4 DF group was probably my best one yet. We easily made quick work of the boss in one fight despite there being two new people.

EriksBlue

Banned
Whats a good parser?
Depend on your lvl and the lvl of your gear.By lvl 50 with i90ish you should be above 300dps when your lvl 60 probabpy ilvl140ish 500dps. (This is a lower leaning example but as any dps you should never drop below 300dps.)
This isnt really 'good' but it could be waaaaaay worse.

Mcdohl

I finally beat Bismarck Ex.

It felt so good joining a learning party, taking 2.5 hours, and finally getting the kill.

Yes, it took us a while, probably too long, but it was worth it.

Perseverance and teamwork! The joys of MMOs.

whippyice

Banned
I finally beat Bismarck Ex.

It felt so good joining a learning party, taking 2.5 hours, and finally getting the kill.

Yes, it took us a while, probably too long, but it was worth it.

Perseverance and teamwork! The joys of MMOs.

Started working on him lastnight, thinki i will need to find or start a learning party this evening, i take it you need to split the dps between A side and B side ?

Started working on him lastnight, thinki i will need to find or start a learning party this evening, i take it you need to split the dps between A side and B side ?

There's no side. Don't really want to go too deep into mechanics in case you're trying to figure out for yourself, but otherwise just read up a guide and you'll see.

Kanashimi

Starting to get antsy for Alexander Savage already.

I'm about as geared as I'm gonna get besides a few pieces by then, but spending my down time trying to level crafters and my other classes. It's kinda nice to be able to switch to whatever I want again and just enjoy whatever I'm feelin'.

Curious if anyone else has been leveling their crafters? Did you just do daily turn-ins or was there other methods?

Also kinda worried since I was working with the highest gear with full melds and Supra's... makes me so sad to get rid of that stuff. I still hold onto my fully melded WVR jacket... because of reasons. >_>

Meciu

With my website and another one, we did an interview with Naoki Yoshida at Japan Expo. If you're curious about MCH & BRD DPS, the next raid, Glamour Egi, Hildidi, EU Servers, 4.0 and sidequests...

http://www.finaland.com/?rub=site&page=news&id=5495

Enjoy :)

"Probably around just before or just after 3.1 release then I will be able to offer a European datacenter. Please wait a little more. So we assure that we can do it sometime this year."

Hurray!

Is there any consensus on if Bards should be using WM? I don't think I've seen a single Bard use it in the DF.

I used it once in a dungeon. It may be fine for fighting regular mobs but against bosses that require you to continuously dodge AoE attacks it's completely useless. Attacking whilst moving is what I am best at.

dcye

Is there any consensus on if Bards should be using WM? I don't think I've seen a single Bard use it in the DF.

All good Bards should use it, with the changes its a dps gain in almost all situations at level 60.

I really don't like the change in play style but I'm getting used to it. Dropping the cast time has saved it for me, I'm much more used to stance dancing as I've played a load of Scholar. Pulled around 850-900 in Alex 4 today (no quarantine) which made me very happy.

Klyka

Banned
So I am running low level dungeons to level my lancer up quickly, which so far gives me 1 or sometimes 2 levels per run.

I'm in Toto-Rak just now and we start the run, a DRK, a THM, a SCH and me.
At the start I say "Hey,if you guys don't mind a full clear, I could use it for XP but I am totally fine with us just going through it normally".
No one really says anything to this until the SCH says "Well, I'll set myself on follow then and let Eos do the healing".
To which all of us go "Uh....no? You can at least DPS to speed up the whole run."
SCH says "You said you want a full clear,I just want my low level roulette, so i'll go on follow and watch a series. Why DPS?"

We then argue back and forth that whether we did a full clear or not, him doing DPS will always speed up the run and we will kick him if he just goes on follow.

Man almost started screaming at us for not letting him just follow through and at the end of the run (he played normally) he said "shit group" and immediately left.

Man,some people,I swear.

Honestly speaking? He's not actually doing anything wrong by going on follow and Eos doing the healing as long as he's truly not afk and at the end of the day healers don't have to dps if they don't want to because well, they're healers. And in low level dungeons? Hell no healers really shouldn't be dpsing there that's asking for trouble.

In fact you would be in the wrong if you kicked him.

Alrus

Honestly speaking? He's not actually doing anything wrong by going on follow and Eos doing the healing as long as he's truly not afk and at the end of the day healers don't have to dps if they don't want to because well, they're healers.

Meh, it's still a shitty thing to do. Totorak is awful enough as it is.

Klyka

Banned
Honestly speaking? He's not actually doing anything wrong by going on follow and Eos doing the healing as long as he's truly not afk and at the end of the day healers don't have to dps if they don't want to because well, they're healers. And in low level dungeons? Hell no healers really shouldn't be dpsing there that's asking for trouble.

We were all lvl 60s on our alts/down leveled.
There was never any moment where him DPSing could have been bad,especially in Toto-Rak which features basically no mechanics till the last boss.

We were all lvl 60s on our alts/down leveled.
There was never any moment where him DPSing could have been bad,especially in Toto-Rak which features basically no mechanics till the last boss.
Still though he doesn't have to dps if he doesn't want to.

I know the issue of healers dpsing is an eternal topic of discussion here and on other forums, but they do not have to and you cannot kick them for choosing not to. Sure you can kick them if you convince the others in the group and then the healer can report you all for the kick and you would have no standing.

Bluenoser

How are people leveling new jobs fast these days? I just came back after a long long break from this game, and I'm leveling a new character (old one still active, but wanted a change). It seems they've buffed the experience points for MS Quests as my Arcanist is 30 and I'm only to level 26 story quests. I'm leveling Thaumaturge for Swiftcast, and it's going pretty fast, but I'm wondering if it could be faster. I got from 1-17 last night in about 4-5 hours.

But the people who are taking Machinist, Astrologan and Dark Knight to cap, what is your trick for fast experience with no quests to help you along?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I am thinking about getting back into FFXIV.
Have to think about it, but any good sites for a new player?
I'm not sure what you mean by "good sites" but here are some good sources of information:

Catching Up to 3.0:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3bheg1/guide_to_catching_up_to_patch_30_heavensward/

You just hit Lv.60 and here's what you can do next:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TbmBVks_f36Ytw7INoQkHYchB5_QSiYhGA4MCl0rhZ0/mobilebasic

This site tells you what is the best equipment any Class can currently equip and it also provides a Hunt tracker:

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/

Ochibi

About the next 24 players raid, I really think it could be Ultimecia's Castle... even if it's not a copy paste like Crystal Tower

Sure you can kick them if you convince the others in the group and then the healer can report you all for the kick and you would have no standing.

if the healer was kicked and filed a report nothing would happen
h299ln6g.jpg

GMs stopped giving a shit around 2.2
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...-is-practically-allowed?p=2358628#post2358628

However, there is one topic in this thread that seems to be an underlying point of contention: reasons for dismissal that are not strictly "AFK", "Offline", "Harassment", or "Cheating". I would like to address this.

The response from the GM touched on this, although it was missed due to the focus on the first part of that sentence. The reasons for dismissal are not all encompassing, which means that there may be valid reasons for dismissal outside of those four examples. Good examples of this that have been provided in this thread are the refusal to fulfill one's job function. Because of this, it is possible that the reasons provided for dismissal may be found to be accurate if they are used against you. As well, the feelings one may have about the reasons may differ from the feelings of those who voted to dismiss. For example, cultural differences in language may have one person using language they find fairly benign while another person takes great offense to it.

Because of these subjective discrepancies, the final decision on if a violation of the use of the vote dismiss feature is left to a GM after an investigation. In general, abuse of the vote dismiss feature is considered to be a grief tactics violation, which falls under section 3.2 in the Final Fantasy XIV User Agreement. However, it is only after a GM investigation that it can be determined to be a violation of the rules. If you feel that the vote dismiss feature has been abused, please do report it to the GMs through the Help Desk in game, and we will investigate.

Lanrutcon

I don't DPS as a SCH.

Hell, I don't even have my DoTs on my SCH hotbars. If I need to kill shit I switch to SMN. If I want to kill shit in dungeons I queue as a SMN. If I want the run to go faster I tell the DPS to stop playing like the elderly and do their goddamn rotations.

I am a lazy man.

iammeiam

Hey, man, if my autoattacks are sufficient to kill dungeon trash I don't see why I should have to rotation. Sounds like work.

And in low level dungeons? Hell no healers really shouldn't be dpsing there that's asking for trouble.

There is absolutely nothing for a scholar to do in a lot of low-level dungeons but DPS. Eos has everything covered. It's not asking for trouble, it's finding an excuse to push buttons and not just AFK the whole thing.

If people want to just AFK dungeons because they don't have to technically do anything else... Okay, fine, but let's not pretend there's any actual group benefit to it. If you're not going Clerics in Sastasha it's because you don't wanna, not because it's safest for the group.

I don't DPS as a SCH.

Hell, I don't even have my DoTs on my SCH hotbars. If I need to kill shit I switch to SMN. If I want to kill shit in dungeons I queue as a SMN. If I want the run to go faster I tell the DPS to stop playing like the elderly and do their goddamn rotations.

I am a lazy man.
Exactly this.

I don't trust people enough to go dpsing in dungeons when I'm a healer nor am I the type of person trying to rush through dungeons either.

I queued as a healer and that's what I'm gonna do. Maybe you dps should learn your class better or queue with friends if you want super fast dungeon runs.

Valor

How are people leveling new jobs fast these days? I just came back after a long long break from this game, and I'm leveling a new character (old one still active, but wanted a change). It seems they've buffed the experience points for MS Quests as my Arcanist is 30 and I'm only to level 26 story quests. I'm leveling Thaumaturge for Swiftcast, and it's going pretty fast, but I'm wondering if it could be faster. I got from 1-17 last night in about 4-5 hours.

But the people who are taking Machinist, Astrologan and Dark Knight to cap, what is your trick for fast experience with no quests to help you along?

Challenge Log is really nice. All of the roulettes give nice experience for the time committed. Dungeons give a good bit of exp as well, especially once you have a class at 50 or 60, you get a flat bonus for every class under that. It's actually not too bad to level lower classes once you have a high level one.

I took my DRK on my alt from 30-38 in a short while with leves/fates/and a couple of roulettes to finish off challenge logs. I did another LLDR with her yesterday and she's 40 now. It's really not too bad.

And in low level dungeons? Hell no healers really shouldn't be dpsing there that's asking for trouble.
How?

I was leveling my AST yesterday to mess around with the class and I barely switched off Cleric's Stance. It's really not that hard to heal those low dungeons unless things go horribly wrong. I mean you don't have to DPS at healer, but AFK healing is so boring to me, i'd rather spend my time having fun, and having fun for me is stance dancing as a healer and contributing to the dps.

I mean, the only time I think I ever straight up just healed a low level dungeon is when i was leveling a healer for the very first time, and it was my CNJ. I mean even then I think I was Stone/Aeroing out of Cleric's Stance just to be safe, but there's so little damage coming out most of the time it's really not that terrible.

Top Bottom