• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Meowster

Playing for the first time in over a year and am a little rusty.. My friend told me to be a gladiator this time around, whereas I'm used to being a conjurer, and I did pretty decently during the first dungeon by playing around with the mark system and using my flashes and gathering the attention of enemies. Any suggestions so this newbie tank competes to the best of his abilities?

SkyOdin

Playing for the first time in over a year and am a little rusty.. My friend told me to be a gladiator this time around, whereas I'm used to being a conjurer, and I did pretty decently during the first dungeon by playing around with the mark system and using my flashes and gathering the attention of enemies. Any suggestions so this newbie tank competes to the best of his abilities?
There was a discussion earlier in this thread on compiling tank advice, and during it someone posted a pair of really helpful infographics:
Anyways, the key to mastering Gladiator/Paladin is to learn how the game's Enmity system works. A good opening move is to use Shield Lob the get the mobs' attention, run through them and Flash when the whole group is in range, then park yourself on the opposite side of the mobs from your party. At this point, you start using your basic enmity generation combo (Fast Blade - > Savage Blade for you right now). Keep using that combo as necessary until the mobs die, mixing in some Flash on occasion.

Meowster

There was a discussion earlier in this thread on compiling tank advice, and during it someone posted a pair of really helpful infographics:

Anyways, the key to mastering Gladiator/Paladin is to learn how the game's Enmity system works. A good opening move is to use Shield Lob the get the mobs' attention, run through them and Flash when the whole group is in range, then park yourself on the opposite side of the mobs from your party. At this point, you start using your basic enmity generation combo (Fast Blade - > Savage Blade for you right now). Keep using that combo as necessary until the mobs die, mixing in some Flash on occasion.
What you posted is what I have been doing so far - just learned Shield Lob right before my first dungeon. Thanks for this! I want to do the best I can in the dungeons!

SkyOdin

What you posted is what I have been doing so far - just learned Shield Lob right before my first dungeon. Thanks for this! I want to do the best I can in the dungeons!

I hope you enjoy being a tank! I find it pretty rewarding myself. Just remember: your primary job is twofold: hold enmity on the enemies and stay alive. So long as those two things stay true, you are doing your job right.

hamchan

i havent played every mmorpg. its pretty useful in a game with dps checks. id be happy to have numbers at every mission clear screen. pvp has that.

Using a dps parser has shown me how bad some people are at the game. It's a good thing I don't really care that much if people are bad at the game, only about my own numbers, but in the wrong hands I can see it being using for shaming and discrimination.

So I totally see why Yoshi-P wouldn't want it in the game.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Using a dps parser has shown me how bad some people are at the game. It's a good thing I don't really care that much if people are bad at the game, only about my own numbers, but in the wrong hands I can see it being using for shaming and discrimination.

My friend regrets the day that he started using a parser, says that it has ruined the game for him when he sees all that bad DPS.

I love how on my server the party finder parties have slowly but surely been raising their "minimum needed iLVL". It started at iLVL 160, then went 165, 170 and now people want you to have 175 for Bismarck and 180 for Ravana.

I'm just all...."really?"
If they knew that ilevel doesn't neccesarily mean better dps. If the players don't know their rotation, they could be i200 and still have a hard time.

fedexpeon

Banned

It is just all reinforcement advice.
Literally a free consultant will give you commentary on what to do, who wouldn't want that?

ebil

Using a parser just makes me completely desperate when I see people in Alexander pulling numbers I wouldn't even have considered mediocre back when the level cap was 50. Sometimes I'd rather be ignorant.

Zomba13

Using a parser just makes me completely desperate when I see people in Alexander pulling numbers I wouldn't even have considered mediocre back when the level cap was 50. Sometimes I'd rather be ignorant.

Part of the reason I don't want to use a parser is I don't want to know when the DPS are being bad. The other part is paranoia about being banned or account hijacks which is weird considering I used the Windower in FFXI and a bunch of addons back in the day.

Kanashimi

Crafting into the expansion has been a weird adventure thus far. Profitable, but strange. Unsure if I should prepare to meld things since the crafters had specific gear in the announcement trailers, guessin' that will be 3.01? Or are they available via Red Scripts (or whatever that is; not there yet myself)?

grimmiq

Crafting into the expansion has been a weird adventure thus far. Profitable, but strange. Unsure if I should prepare to meld things since the crafters had specific gear in the announcement trailers, guessin' that will be 3.01? Or are they available via Red Scripts (or whatever that is; not there yet myself)?

I'm planning on getting a full HQ set of crafting/gathering gear and then just waiting with a pile of materia for the next patch.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
It's not in game yet, most are assuming it'll be added on Tuesday when red scrips are released alongside 3.05.

Korezo

Can people get banned and reported for making part finders saying what dps requirement must be met. I seen party finders with people saying must do 550 dps. How would they now without using a parser.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Can people get banned and reported for making part finders saying what dps requirement must be meant. I seen party finders with people saying must do 550 dps. How would they now without using a parser.

Maybe Yoshi P will finally integrate a parser in-game
#wishfulthinking

Frumix

Suffering From Success
People don't get banned for using parsers, people might get banned when somebody reports them for harassment based on parsing. I've never seen anybody getting suspended for it myself but our FC leadership strongly advises against talking about numbers even in the FC chat so I presume there were incidents.

neoxdonut

Finally back after about a year away now with a new PC. Just need to wait for the updates to finish downloading now. I think I left off my character around lv40

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Pretty close to just quitting Ramuh Ex after trying to clear it for 4 days now. Every random grouping seems to have their own setup on how they want to clear electric Santa. The tanks don't have any macros and die before or shortly after the adds spawn, DPS are just grabbing orbs at will and the healers have just rooted themselves in like trees.

Stuart444

Pretty close to just quitting Ramuh Ex after trying to clear it for 4 days now. Every random grouping seems to have their own setup on how they want to clear electric Santa. The tanks don't have any macros and die before or shortly after the adds spawn, DPS are just grabbing orbs at will and the healers have just rooted themselves in like trees.

Try using PF and doing an unsync run.

There is some issues with it light making sure ALL deeps is stopped on Ramuh though during the add phase and stuff but if you can sort out that issue, a team of 60s unsync'd should be able to burn him down quickly enough.

Of course if you yourself are joining PFs (instead of DFing it) then start your own PF. This way you can set up rules/be in charge of how to do it, etc.

Besides that, not much else you can do besides banging your head on it over and over.

I never bothered to run this or Shiva EX before I was gone for a while.

The weapon designs worth it?

Ken

I never bothered to run this or Shiva EX before I was gone for a while.

The weapon designs worth it?

I really wish Primals had armor drops themed after them. Even if it's just level 1 vanity stuff, it would actually be nice to have gear that matches the weapons.

Which is to say no, Ramuh weapons don't look too great cause they don't go well with anything IMO.

Just ran Halatali for the very first time. Ended up being realllyy rough dungeon with the party. Tank couldn't keep the enmity on him and mobs ended up focusing the healer a lot of the time. Ended up with 3 KO's but we recovered and made it out. Good fun though!

Meowster

Just did the Tam-Tara Deepcroft dungeon for the first time, had a great group of people. We only died at one point thanks to me forgetting I didn't have any Hi-Potions after the healer must have lagged out/lost connection but we did great all in all. Galvanth was easy. It's always fun when everyone partakes.

SkyOdin

So, judging by the overall attitude around here, not worth revisiting for someone who stopped playing about 1 1/2 years ago?

No, I think the game is plenty worth returning to. They have had several major content patches and a whole expansion since you last played. Even if you do nothing but run the added Main Scenario Quests and run each of the new dungeons and raids once, you are in for a whole lot of content that is significantly better than what the game shipped with. They added good gear to the post-50 MSQs too, so you don't even need to grind for gear to run any of that stuff.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Try using PF and doing an unsync run.

There is some issues with it light making sure ALL deeps is stopped on Ramuh though during the add phase and stuff but if you can sort out that issue, a team of 60s unsync'd should be able to burn him down quickly enough.

Of course if you yourself are joining PFs (instead of DFing it) then start your own PF. This way you can set up rules/be in charge of how to do it, etc.

Besides that, not much else you can do besides banging your head on it over and over.
I've been doing it in DF while completing quests and so I'm not sure how long it'll take to get a PF going, but man has this one been painful.

No, I think the game is plenty worth returning to. They have had several major content patches and a whole expansion since you last played. Even if you do nothing but run the added Main Scenario Quests and run each of the new dungeons and raids once, you are in for a whole lot of content that is significantly better than what the game shipped with. They added good gear to the post-50 MSQs too, so you don't even need to grind for gear to run any of that stuff.

Is the game at a point where questing, with some dungeon sprinkling, is sufficient to hit high levels? I left around the time Fate Grinding was nerfed heavily, but Fate Grinding was awful in and of itself anyway.

Just ran The Aery to level up my alt and i'm stunned how some dps have such little grasp over their classes. I don't want to be "that guy" in the chat log trying to tell someone how to do their job better but sometimes it's frustrating tanking on dps checks when you wipe a couple times.

scy

Is the game at a point where questing, with some dungeon sprinkling, is sufficient to hit high levels? I left around the time Fate Grinding was nerfed heavily, but Fate Grinding was awful in and of itself anyway.

The only thing keeping dungeon grinds from being the best EXP is queue times for most people. FATE grinding is faster for DPS simply due to the consistency of it. And, well, easier to do mindlessly.

The fastest way to do 50-60 is basically just following the Main Story Quest + side quests and a few pit stops to repeat a dungeon a few times. Low levels got more EXP pumped into the quests, I believe, and the Armory bonus is up to +100% for 1-50 instead of just +50%. Though I guess that probably doesn't apply since this sounds like your first character through those levels.

Teknoman

Go in blind.
You done a couple of dungeons, you have done them all.
This applies to 50-60 as well.
Even if you don't do the mechanic correctly, you are right about iLevel allowing you to wing it.
And usually, high level alt will carry you anyway.

That and go into as many dungeons blind as you can, since outside of FC parties, you'll probably be expected to kinda be aware of certain things in older content. Enjoy what you can blind, since that often leads to some nice experience building, and often you actually learn the fights instead of just getting by.

Just ran The Aery to level up my alt and i'm stunned how some dps have such little grasp over their classes. I don't want to be "that guy" in the chat log trying to tell someone how to do their job better but sometimes it's frustrating tanking on dps checks when you wipe a couple times.

If you can give someone pointers in a good way, go for it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Alexander: Gordias (Savage) Preview!
Alexander: Gordias (Savage)
Progress within Alexander: Gordias (Savage) is saved as you advance through each area. Party members who have completed a given area may challenge it again if they meet the entry requirements.

However, in the event all party members have completed a given area, they cannot re-enter until progress is reset. Players may only enter if at least one party member has yet to clear the area.
Treasure coffers that appear upon completing areas in Alexander: Gordias (Savage) will yield gear. In addition, players will receive a page of the Gordian Manifesto from each area, which can be exchanged for gear of your choosing.
* Players will only receive one page of the Gordian Manifesto per area each week upon completing said area for the first time.

If your party contains players replaying an area prior to the weekly reset, the number of treasure coffers appearing upon completion will decrease.*
Furthermore, players will be ineligible for rewards from treasure coffers as well as pages of the Gordian Manifesto when replaying an area prior to the weekly reset.

* If there are one to four players in your party replaying a turn, only a single treasure coffer will appear.
If there are five to seven players in your party replaying a turn, no treasure coffers will appear.
Players in the party who have yet to complete a given area in Alexander: Gordias (Savage) prior to the weekly reset will receive a page of the Gordian Manifesto.

chiliboy

I want to thank all of you who gave me tips before starting to play this game, Ive been playing for a week now and just by being nice in dungeons and asking for a lot of advice/telling people Im new I have gotten a lot of commendations and good tips when in dungeons! No sour faces so far, the community is great! :)

I think people likes the fact that you put effort into becoming better and actually communicate that you are new!

I just started 2.0 a few days before Heavensward, and I reached 60 without redoing a single thing. All dungeons once, all side quests, no roulettes AT ALL. I did around 5 fates.

SkyOdin

They doubled MSQ exp with the launch of Heavensward. Leveling up in Heavensward content (50 -> 60) is still a chore, but getting to 50 should be a breeze now.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The Japanese name for Alexander is interesting. Alexander Type-0!

Same as SCOB Savage? 零式 to reference the fact it's allegedly how the encounters were originally designed (which is probably actually true this time).

Top Bottom