• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

BadRNG

I can't believe that after all the bitchouts they had thrown at them ever since the inception of Frontlines they still had balls to keep it GC-separated.
They don't give a fuck about the complaints because they don't give a fuck about PvP. The fact that they are sneaking in this new mode/gear suddenly just adds to that feeling in my mind, no hype. They don't care that PvP is a shit show with terrible queue times. It's there so they can tick a box and say "WE GOT PVP TOO!".

For the strength item wearing tanks:

Keep in mind that for example a WHM can dish out serious AOE dmg that far surpasses the damage you can put out as a WAR with STR gear. I feel it is oftentimes better to go full VIT gear so that the WHM has to heal less and can concentrate on pressing dat Holy button on AOE pulls. Of course this assumes you have a good Healer in your team and AOE pulls ahead of you (Duty Roulette comes to mind). Otherwise STR gear is mostly superior in the current content.
I usually go full vit for trash, pulling as much as I think group can handle. Then go full STR for bosses. But there's no magic set up, use whatever is best for current group and content. Whenever in doubt over which to go then just use vit, it's far safer, and too many tanks overestimate what their group can handle.

Maybe I should go STR though for trash to keep WHM frOM USING GODDAMN HOLY DURING BLOOD PRICE AHHHH.

aceface

Agreed that it's super-disappointing that they are using the Minstrel for Alex Savage. C'mon Square just add a bit of story and a few cutscenes or something. Hilarious that you have to beat Ultima HM to unlock it though. Years later, that fight is relevant for something. Still one of my favorite battles in the game. I imagine it's overgeared all to hell now.

iammeiam

One day I will remember to check what gear a tank is wearing before I go crazy Holy spamming.

One day.

And then I will holy spam anyway because why else even queue WHM.

i never saw that GC thing as a hurdle. most people in my fc were in mael from the beginning. only one lonely guy endured flames til the end. i don't believe pvpers care about the GC restrictions. they will always find a way to pvp.

Tried to play around with Wanderer's Minuet again, just to get a feel for using it in battle, and I still hate it.

The DPS bump is there but I find the whole thing to finicky. I'm used to moving around a lot during a fight and I think I am losing DPS in the long run because I am still playing with the old mindset of a Bard and constantly getting interruptions on my basic rotation.

In dungeons it works better since I don't have worry too much about AoE or aggro but against bosses I wouldn't think of turning this on. It's just not how a Bard is meant to play.

I want to use it because it's a decent DPS bump but it betrays the Bard style.

I'm probably not saying anything new at this point. It's a shame because Bard is perfect for me style of play.

For tanking I generally start vit and see how the healer plays. If he's spamming heals and not DPSing, I'll generally switch, but if he's not DPSing AND having trouble healing, then I'll stay in vit, because no reason to risk dying for a little bit of damage. I tend to swap depending on the fight too, some fights there's very little tank damage, for example the first 2 bosses in Sohm Al tend to not do anything half the fight, so I go full str and sword stance once they start doing their mechanics stuff.

It's really a case by case thing, though a lot of DF tanks just go full str regardless, even if their left side gear is several levels lower than the content and they're not using cooldowns and pulling more than one pack at a time. Just makes it annoying for the healer.

Lanrutcon

Tried to play around with Wanderer's Minuet again, just to get a feel for using it in battle, and I still hate it.

The DPS bump is there but I find the whole thing to finicky. I'm used to moving around a lot during a fight and I think I am losing DPS in the long run because I am still playing with the old mindset of a Bard and constantly getting interruptions on my basic rotation.

In dungeons it works better since I don't have worry too much about AoE or aggro but against bosses I wouldn't think of turning this on. It's just not how a Bard is meant to play.

I'm probably not saying anything new at this point. It's a shame because Bard is perfect for me style of play.

Feel ya.

There is really no defending what they've done to Bards. Like, none. The only possible people who would even begin to think the changes are fine are those that don't play Bards.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
They don't give a fuck about the complaints because they don't give a fuck about PvP. The fact that they are sneaking in this new mode/gear suddenly just adds to that feeling in my mind, no hype. They don't care that PvP is a shit show with terrible queue times. It's there so they can tick a box and say "WE GOT PVP TOO!".

I think that's quite a bit off the mark. It seems pretty obvious from just watching Yoshida squint and get all depressed every time he's asked "When are you gonna add that and this?" that the dev team is at least somewhat (and in reality probably seriously) strapped for time and resources. So dedicating their time to a completely new map, ruleset and a bunch of actually high quality gear is not a light decision (and for what it's worth there's server capacity to consider?). Compare this to something like, say, Urth's Fount which consist of literally recolors that you get from a rehashed boss set in a pre-existing map.

Agreed that it's super-disappointing that they are using the Minstrel for Alex Savage. C'mon Square just add a bit of story and a few cutscenes or something. Hilarious that you have to beat Ultima HM to unlock it though. Years later, that fight is relevant for something. Still one of my favorite battles in the game. I imagine it's overgeared all to hell now.

We four-manned it for a guy in our FC. It's become a snooze. Such a shame.

iammeiam

One of Minuet's big issues is that the "DPS bump" seems mostly to preserve the old gap. It doesn't introduce DPS ceiling parity, you just have to use it to not fall further behind. It adds nothing.

What happened to Angary melee?

Gotta be diverse, Jayhawk. Fisher hit 55 last night, DRG hit 53, WHM continues futile EXDR quest for pants/seeing how long a tank can roll cooldowns and self-sustain while I ignore them to explode. Variety!

I also probably should MCH a thing again at some point and see if I remember what buttons do.

Jayhawk

I guess I'll have to add the new Monk PvP weapon to my collection of things that don't match any of my gear.

I wonder if there is a game-balance reason why they split the crafting and gathering update into a second maintenance.

I guess I'll have to add the new Monk PvP weapon to my collection of things that don't match any of my gear.

I wonder if there is a game-balance reason why they split the crafting and gathering update into a second maintenance.

They don't want people to craft full vit accessories and clear Savage Alex on the first day. They'll have to wait the 2nd day instead!

Not sure though, seems weird since it's not like all the crafters farming red scrips is somehow going to affect raid instance stability or whatever. Maybe they did it so people wouldn't be torn between doing the new raid or making millions on the same day.

BadRNG

I think that's quite a bit off the mark. It seems pretty obvious from just watching Yoshida squint and get all depressed every time he's asked "When are you gonna add that and this?" that the dev team is at least somewhat (and in reality probably seriously) strapped for time and resources. So dedicating their time to a completely new map, ruleset and a bunch of actually high quality gear is not a light decision (and for what it's worth there's server capacity to consider?). Compare this to something like, say, Urth's Fount which consist of literally recolors that you get from a rehashed boss set in a pre-existing map.
I don't doubt it took time and resources to make this stuff, it's just that I don't get the feeling they really care about it beyond just having it. It's been a terribly balanced mess since day 1 and even after all the fixes it's still a mess, and the queue times are laughably bad yet they refuse to implement the easiest fix. They barely even talk about PvP unless there is a new vanity gear set (which is basically what it is, let's be real) or mode to talk about in their PR releases before it's ignored again by both the developers and the playerbase itself.

I don't think the game's battle system (and perhaps more importantly the netcode itself) works very well in a PvP set up, but there is some fun to be had occasionally in the terribleness. The fact that they refuse to fix the queue times is just the final nail in the coffin, and the biggest proof to me they don't care about the actual experience. It's not like they can redesign their gameplay systems after all, but removing GC limit would be so huge to at least make it worth trying every now and then.

iammeiam

Wait, is the Alex entrance just straight in a zone with no convenient aetheryte? No convenient way to port in right before raid? Gross

Wait, is the Alex entrance just straight in a zone with no convenient aetheryte? No convenient way to port in right before raid? Gross
The placement makes sense considering Alexander himself is an actual part of the landscape compared to the entrance Coil which was simply a white light door in front of the gates to a town.

iammeiam

The placement makes sense considering Alexander himself is an actual part of the landscape compared to the entrance Coil which was simply a white light door in front of the gates to a town.

On the other hand, if it's a Minstrel's Ballad, physical location is irrelevant since it's just a a story, and it's just an annoying design decision.

gryvan

For the strength item wearing tanks:

Keep in mind that for example a WHM can dish out serious AOE dmg that far surpasses the damage you can put out as a WAR with STR gear. I feel it is oftentimes better to go full VIT gear so that the WHM has to heal less and can concentrate on pressing dat Holy button on AOE pulls. Of course this assumes you have a good Healer in your team and AOE pulls ahead of you (Duty Roulette comes to mind). Otherwise STR gear is mostly superior in the current content.

I personally was using mostly str accessories while leveling WAR and popping bloodbath into steel cyclone combo to help lessen the huge heal spikes and then followed by the WARs frontal conal aoe thingie aka making elliott want to strangle and put me in amiibo land 75% of the time :D

plake

I actually kinda like the new PvP gear. The BRD Unibow is awesome!
Too bad it'll be impossible to get since no one, literally no one, is doing PvP since expansion. I've waited 3 hrs+ without any pop.

Anyways, hope this can make some new guys try it out.

I actually kinda like the new PvP gear. The BRD Unibow is awesome!
Too bad it'll be impossible to get since no one, literally no one, is doing PvP since expansion. I've waited 3 hrs+ without any pop.

Anyways, hope this can make some new guys try it out.

noone is doing pvp because the rewards are old. come on, you should know people will swarm once new stuff is out.

Xux

Any way to get the vintage gear from completing job quests post expansion if you did the quests before the expansion?

Sorian

Banned
Lore-wise, what is the limit break?

It's basically a spirit bomb.

The rest of the party is focusing their energy into one person so that they can do a supped up version of one of their attacks.

If you've gotten to the end of 2.55, it actually happens in a cut scene as well and you see one person focusing their energy into another.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Any way to get the vintage gear from completing job quests post expansion if you did the quests before the expansion?

Not from the quests. Just run Snowcloak / Sastasha (hard) / Qarn (hard) for the relevant drops.

Sorian

Banned
On the other hand, if it's a Minstrel's Ballad, physical location is irrelevant since it's just a a story, and it's just an annoying design decision.

You have to keep in mind that idyllshire was supposed to be in the hinterlands and the decision to split it off came at the last moment. They already said they are adding an aethyrite to the hinterlands.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You have to keep in mind that idyllshire was supposed to be in the hinterlands and the decision to split it off came at the last moment. They already said they are adding an aethyrite to the hinterlands.

It's so dumb, they obviously expected people to congregate in the area, but... there's usually nobody in Hinterlands. So what's the difference if it's a separate area or not?

Sorian

Banned
It's so dumb, they obviously expected people to congregate in the area, but... there's usually nobody in Hinterlands. So what's the difference if it's a separate area or not?

Does Drama need to post PS3 screenshots again? Sure, no one is in the hinterlands but that's still a big zone with a lot of detail, add in idyllshire and all of the people that hang out there now and well, "PS3 limitations"

iammeiam

It's more that the design decision is basically inconvenience for inconvenience's sake? There's no real plot or game function justification for only being able to queue in at the point of entry, especially since you can queue in for normal (the version that actually occurs per the story) just via DF. Just "this is how Coil worked so this is how this works, too", and arguably with the least convenient location yet.

I also thought I'd just read they were doing a mysterious "something" to make Hinterlands less annoying to get to, but no confirmation of aetheryte.

Sorian

Banned
It's more that the design decision is basically inconvenience for inconvenience's sake? There's no real plot or game function justification for only being able to queue in at the point of entry, especially since you can queue in for normal (the version that actually occurs per the story) just via DF. Just "this is how Coil worked so this is how this works, too", and arguably with the least convenient location yet.

I also thought I'd just read they were doing a mysterious "something" to make Hinterlands less annoying to get to, but no confirmation of aetheryte.

Did they say somewhere that you had to be in the hinterlands to get into savage? I know some info appeared yesterday or last night but all I saw was the PvP stuff. I've just been under the impression it's going to be a minstrel's ballad quest and then it's just up in DF.

I'll go look for you in a minute. It was in the translation of the last live letter.

Edit: Nope, you're right. They were asked directly about adding a teleport to the hinterlands and they did just say they will put in a countermeasure and then just moved on to "and we'll let you mount in idyllshire!" My mistake

iammeiam

Did they say somewhere that you had to be in the hinterlands to get into savage? I know some info appeared yesterday or last night but all I saw was the PvP stuff. I've just been under the impression it's going to be a minstrel's ballad quest and then it's just up in DF.

That would make too much sense:

* After forming a group of eight players, speak with Redbrix in the Dravanian Hinterlands (X:23 Y:26) to enter.

Reads to me like it'll be the same as lockout Coil.

Xux

Not from the quests. Just run Snowcloak / Sastasha (hard) / Qarn (hard) for the relevant drops.
I would if they gave experience. Maybe I can run them to work on my Novus or something.

Hopefully they just add them to the Calamity Salvager, though.

kierwynn

I personally was using mostly str accessories while leveling WAR and popping bloodbath into steel cyclone combo to help lessen the huge heal spikes and then followed by the WARs frontal conal aoe thingie aka making elliott want to strangle and put me in amiibo land 75% of the time :D

At least we had crit heals to make me hate you less. Ah, how I miss crit heals. They were too good for this world.

Lanrutcon

So if I have this correct: you can do Ex primals without the level scaling? and still get loot and stuff?

Edit: Oh, and how hard is World of Darkness? like...can I just PUG that shit as a newbie?

I finally got tank gear for my WAR from The Aery (dem boots)!

Lesser Panda however... I'm positive this thing doesn't exist and everyone with one is a liar.

Klyka

Banned
I should have never downloaded a parser.
I see DPS but they don't DPS. I don't know what's happening.
I can't tell them they are bad but I also can't look away.
It's like a carcrash and I am forced to watch it happen.

On the other hand,I'm pretty happy with my own DPS, actually managed to get close to 900 yesterday. More of a fluke though, can't do that stuff in fights with too much movement.

Valor

At least we had crit heals to make me hate you less. Ah, how I miss crit heals. They were too good for this world.

I remember Felix dropping crit mega adlos on us during Final Liberation in RavEX. The amount of zeroes were simply wonderful.

Never forget.

I only started playing this game a few weeks ago, before HW. Choosing Bard, I was afraid of WM before I got it, but after getting it, I never have it off, and I beat every bit of content besides the last EX stuff and Alex with it on(haven't tried those).

I don't understand the need for most Bards to be constantly running. For AOE's you can usually get off whatever attack you were using, adjust your position slightly, and then resume turreting. Most bosses don't require that much movement at all.

Top Bottom